IGNORED

Robin’s Nest

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go there for breakfast of porridge, honey and banana.

Has a Sunday buffet there. Never again.

It's quite a trek for some but a much better non-Italian style lasagna is to be found at Laong's Bistro in Jomtien. Come for the Pasta buffet on Wednesday nights starting at 5 and you can have all you can eat lasagna and much more (salad fixings, bruschetta, pizza, various pastas and sauces, really good large meatballs, a creamy main dish) for about 300 baht (if I recall correctly). Not saying Robins is bad, but Laong's is definitely better. 

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:14, Pheat said:

When Robin sold out to the boys behind the Sportsman soi13 about 7 years ago.

The food at The Sportsman is much better and their waitresses much friendlier.

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 14:28, Kreggerz said:

I ate at the Nest for the first time to try that lasagna. It was a standard Italian American style version. Unlike the Italian version, no bechamel (cream) sauce which is fine by me. Not too much sugar (common here) but the tomato sauce was bland. The portion was definitely large enough. But I can't really get excited by it and doubt I would order it again. I am curious to try their curry night though. I did find the vibe from the staff kind of weird and would not call it friendly. 

A genuine Italian pizza is topped with mozzarella cheese, not béchamel sauce.

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

1 hour ago, starfucks said:

A genuine Italian pizza is topped with mozzarella cheese, not béchamel sauce.

I was talking about lasagne, not pizza. 

I've never seen béchamel sauce on pizza and don't expect to. 

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:14, Pheat said:

At least The Sportsman does have kind waitresses: May, Pla, Nee, Nid, Susa, ...

I tried the lasagna special in June.  Nothing wrong with it but nothing very exciting about it either.

• 1 month later...
On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 23:23, bar stool said:

Forgot Som, also a sweetheart.

On 7.7.2018 at 18:23, bar stool said:

Indeed. Discovered The Sportsman on my last trip and it has become one of my favourite places to chill and write reports.

13th Warrior`s Raid  Relatert bilde

Robin's Nest Tuesday Indian Curry night was promoted today on Thailand Wine and Dine.

I went.

It wasn't happening.

I guess I'm through with Robin's Nest. 

Meet Robin by chance in Nha Trang where he runs the Far East rock cafe,turns out he used to live very near me.

8 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

Robin's Nest Tuesday Indian Curry night was promoted today on Thailand Wine and Dine.

I went.

It wasn't happening.

I guess I'm through with Robin's Nest. 

I went a couple of times last trip, in March, they offered two curries plus bombay-potatoes & rice, it was OK value-wise & tasty-enough but no variety from week to week, just like their Sunday-roast buffet. 

A bit more attention to menu-planning/variation might be a good thing ! Or perhaps the management assume that, once having been, you won't be returning again ? ! :rolleyes:

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 23:14, Pheat said:

I was wondering what happened but never stop in to ask. It was 2012 when I met Lee one of the owners, it was at this small bar across from the restaurant where a girl who I barfined often worked at. We hung out a couple times, and when I walked pass and saw him sitting outside I'd stop and chat.

I just assumed since I hadn't seen him he moved back to the UK. Does anyone know of whom I speak of and if so is he still around?

On 29/08/2018 at 05:32, az89 said:

Meet Robin by chance in Nha Trang where he runs the Far East rock cafe,turns out he used to live very near me.

Robin is back in Pattaya opening  a new restaurant/ bar the old elephant bar/ Fire and ice Soi Buakhao. 

7 hours ago, Pheat said:

Robin is back in Pattaya opening  a new restaurant/ bar the old elephant bar/ Fire and ice Soi Buakhao

Good to know.....I,ll keep my eyes open for the date :GrinNod1:

11 hours ago, Pheat said:

Robin is back in Pattaya opening  a new restaurant/ bar the old elephant bar/ Fire and ice Soi Buakhao

He did seem a bit down on the lack of nightlife in Nha Trang with virtually everything shutting at 11pm when I meet him in February.

what part of soi Buakhao is his new place?

The old elephant bar was opposite tree town ,right hand side going towards Klang, just before soi 21.^^^^

• 3 weeks later...

I know it.

Has Robin opened yet in soi Buakhao ?

I will correct myself I meet him at his Little rock cafe not the Far East rock cafe around the corner although at one time he did own that also.

On 8/31/2018 at 18:09, Pheat said:

5ba81717cb600_10sept019(Custom).JPG.6050599540714589338d64182e6db93c.JPG

inside ground floor not yet done. some beer fridges etc have been delivered in the last couple of days. getting there but not quite ready

• 2 weeks later...

Only eat there once a few years back when I started (then) staying at Areca, it was the Sunday all you can eat carvery, very plentiful but bland and being a buffet rather than carvery every thing was only lukewarm.

A few years on I am a bit of a CC, stay in a guesthouse (excellent for me many trips now since it opened) which is not far from Diana and about 80% of my meals are Thai from a place on Soi 15 or Tin Cup and the place virtually next door.

Leaves more money for the increased BF's and girls fees.

On 8/31/2018 at 12:09, Pheat said:

Interesting to know, will probably give it a try.

On 8/31/2018 at 12:43, petermik said:

Good to know.....I,ll keep my eyes open for the date :GrinNod1:

Yes if it is open by December I will give it a try next trip.

9 minutes ago, geezerrb said:

The sign is up outside now Chunky Monkey .

Sure will be open in the next 2-3 weeks.

9 minutes ago, geezerrb said:

Archived