IGNORED

jet skis

vjv8

I believe they run about 1,500 baht for 30 minutes for one rider.

Have heard they often claim that you have damaged them when you return and try to hit you up for big bucks.

I did witness a tourist couple trying to negotiate damages with them once and it did not go well for them

Just be careful ... have seen few scams at beach road in the past , not very nice experience for the victims.  No idea about Patong !!!! 

D3F29391-243D-4A64-863B-323A00E6B8A3.png

yes I knew about pattaya but was looking at Patong but think I will just give it a miss 

thanks guys 

11 minutes ago, vjv8 said:

yes I knew about pattaya but was looking at patong but think I will just give it a miss 

thanks guys 

Same scam in Patong , best avoided , good decision 

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

1 hour ago, vjv8 said:

yes I knew about pattaya but was looking at patong but think I will just give it a miss 

thanks guys 

i have not seen a jet ski scam in pattaya for a couple of years but i got i got bored spotting them. i have taken pics of 164 different ones. folks were getting done for sums larger than they paid to fly here

I don't know anyone that ever did it and was not scammed in some way shape or form, and there were quite a few falling for it in the military.

10 hours ago, mestorm said:

I don't know anyone that ever did it and was not scammed in some way shape or form, and there were quite a few falling for it in the military.

i saw and later talked to some of the crew of HMS Daring a type 45 uk destroyer. cost 7 of them around 60,000 bht total. 3 got off free  because they followed their captains clear instructions that morning...................do not rent any motorcys or jet skis.

EDIT after an internet search to find the date of their visit to LOS i have been able to track down my pics of them getting shafted  on pattaya beach 11 jan 2014..............

5b29c3c3cd573_janfeb7263_800x478.jpg.c64b5fde0151602568364abccc68d58d.jpg

5b29c3d9c3adf_janfeb7264_800x592.jpg.8294130141f230aa0f753b5ecae33956.jpg

5b29c3ee24b85_janfeb7265_800x438.jpg.977a56c3baa6ea67c8e7ce5286d3f632.jpg

5b29c40411880_janfeb7266_800x600.jpg.105308d89dfbed1af41bbeced38f9c17.jpg

5b29c417253d4_janfeb7268_800x423.jpg.7d31de5580f0132839d17477f48e3ea1.jpg

Same warning, same result, different navy.

It is amazing how much trouble can be avoided by heeding simple warnings. The ships sent a scouting crew a few days to a week before ships pull in to get the lay of the land.

If they say to avoid something because it is a scam, they probably got scammed or saw someone get scammed.

I suspect that a persuasive and doe eyed bar fine convinced them that it was her friend/brother/cousin doing the renting so it is legit. Had a buddy with a girl dropping the same line on him trying tinged our group to do it, but I was not going to risk it.

He got scammed.

2 hours ago, mestorm said:

Same warning, same result, different navy.

It is amazing how much trouble can be avoided by heeding simple warnings. The ships sent a scouting crew a few days to a week before ships pull in to get the lay of the land.

If they say to avoid something because it is a scam, they probably got scammed or saw someone get scammed.

I suspect that a persuasive and doe eyed bar fine convinced them that it was her friend/brother/cousin doing the renting so it is legit. Had a buddy with a girl dropping the same line on him trying tinged our group to do it, but I was not going to risk it.

He got scammed.

well they only docked in thailand the day before i took these pics, i believe at sattahip. i should add i took around 6 of them on a re-con mission to Soi 6 via baht bus the same afternoon to try and cheer them up.

on the way.................bearing in mind they were much younger and fitter than the average falang group.............i asked them if any were movie stars or in rock bands. no.

so i said that's ok you will be in a minute..................wild cheering followed soon after, and that was not from the open mouthed sailors

10 hours ago, striderman said:

well they only docked in thailand the day before i took these pics, i believe at sattahip. i should add i took around 6 of them on a re-con mission to Soi 6 via baht bus the same afternoon to try and cheer them up.

on the way.................bearing in mind they were much younger and fitter than the average falang group.............i asked them if any were movie stars or in rock bands. no.

so i said that's ok you will be in a minute..................wild cheering followed soon after, and that was not from the open mouthed sailors

Good to hear that someone took them around, but disappointing that no one set those dudes on the right path in the first place.

I am was with a different country, but our liberty briefs told us what was going on in most places. It was all presented as places to avoid if you wanted to avoid certain types of behavior, but it wound up reading like a tourist monger's map.  Right down to which bars to avoid if you did not want to see things that cannot even be seen on the internet.

It is also a much bigger production when a carrier pulls in setting up a base of operations at the Hard Rock hotel (which of course is where they ridiculously recommend everyone stays), liberty boats running sailors ashore in Laem Chabang, then busses from their to the Hardrock. The prep even went down to telling us how much it would cost for baht busses, what bar fines were, who mamasan is, etc.

We always took a look at the shore patrol watchbills to find out which areas would be patrolled so we could get hotels where they would not be patrolling. Somehow my first time there they did not patrol the LK Metro area, so we stayed at the LK Residence.

That trip was certainly something with a few months of unspent paychecks and four days to get in a month and a half of living.

1 hour ago, mestorm said:

Good to hear that someone took them around, but disappointing that no one set those dudes on the right path in the first place.

i saw them walking along the coconut bar but before i could get near they were on the beach and the thai hustlers were on them and too risky for me to get to them. they were asking about parachutes so i figured they should be ok with that but were talked into jet skis.

i did manage to warn about 7 of the uk parachute  regiment another time. again i couldn't get near their deck chairs for my own safety but 1 went off to look for a 7/11 and i gave him the don't do it however cheap alert.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2018 at 00:40, vjv8 said:

are the jet skis OK to use in patong and how much 

thank you 

No,you're more likely to have trouble with those guys than anyone else in Patong...scum..

• 6 months later...
On 18/06/2018 at 15:40, vjv8 said:

are the jet skis OK to use in patong and how much 

thank you 

NO NO NO! RUN AWAY AND KEEP RUNNING! Look up jet ski scam on Google or you tube. If it has an engine unless someone else is driving it do not rent it

I wonder how many of these supposed scams are actually people who did damage the jet ski. Personal experience I have hired many jet skis in Koh Samui, Patong, Koh Larn and didn't have an issue ever. Actually funny story i witnessed in Koh Samui a group of tipsy Brits hired multiple jet skis and one of the young guys with them collided with his uncle, it was not as speed, i believe they where stationary having a chat but the waves pushed them together. The carbon fibre is easily damaged, anyway they operators hit them up for damages, they started arguing and threatening to call the police. Usually I would not get involved but i was in a good mood so I thought to help them out. I pulled the guy aside and told him its in his best interest to offer the jet ski operator half of what they are asking, chip in with the other lads and be done with it otherwise calling the police to get involved will involve a fee to the jet ski operator + the local police. So instead of saying thanks, he started threatening me asking me im in on scam and told me if he finds out im involved will find me. Anyway he ended paying and i ended up with 15 minute free ride from the boys on the beach. They are not all bad, i think many people do damage them and should pay for what they do.

Archived