IGNORED

DLT Tax Pmt on Sat moved from Big C to Central Festival

Goolabert

Just saw this on ThaiVisa and haven't seen it posted here on PA yet. This is a very convenient way to pay your annual tax, update your green book and get the new tax disc.

I went to Big C (Sukhumvit) last August and it was closed so went to the dealer where I bought my bike to have it done. Also convenient, but took two weeks to get my green book and tax disc back.

Not sure where the nearest place to buy insurance is as I always bought mine from a shop just across the street from Big C.

"DLT has moved from Big C and is now on ground floor of Central Festival, beach road side near McDonalds

open only Saturdays at 11am when central does and closes at 3pm ( ish)"

image.thumb.png.fb248ca15bd84e8890dc286ab67e7c2d.png

• 1 month later...

I just paid my annual motorbike tax of 100 Baht at the DLT office set up in Central Festival on Saturdays.

Their hours are longer than I reported before. They are open 1100-1900 (11 AM - 7 PM).

I got there just a few minutes after they opened but it took the at least 20 minutes to get their computers all synced with the DLT database. There were about 7-8 people in front of me and once they got started it went extremely quick. It was only 15 more minutes till mine was done.

The best part was the milk shake I had at Car's Jr afterwards.

This was the first year I needed an inspection as my bike just had it's 5 year birthday. The inspection station could have arranged for the insurance and tax payment also but would require leaving the green book with them and going back in a few days to pick it up. Pretty easy either way you choose to do it.

Just done mine soi 4 pattaya thai.picked up green book and sticker 3 days later..only waited a few minutes, they do the 5yr checks too

What documentation do you need when renewing your annual tax/basic insurance? I'm hoping not another residence certificate

4 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

What documentation do you need when renewing your annual tax/basic insurance? I'm hoping not another residence certificate

Blue book (cars) or green book (bikes).

Government insurance certificate.

Money.

That's it, unless your vehicle is old enough to also need an inspection.

9 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

No Residence cert or passport copies.

Doing it yourself at the DLT office you only need the green (or blue book),  the Govt Insurance, and inspection cert (if needed). 

You can not get insurance at the DLT Office. If you have one of the inspections places or a dealership pay the tax for you they can get the insurance for you also.

Age for requiring an inspection is 5 years for motorcycles and 7 years for cars.

Anyone could take your green book and pay your tax. Getting the insurance is the only part that would require showing your passport. I renewed my insurance with the same company so didn't need to show my passport as I was already in their system.

Strange that you can't get government insurance from the land office, seems logical to me. Can you get it from brokers? I'm thinking i could get it the same time i get my 1st class insurance

3 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

Strange that you can't get government insurance from the land office, seems logical to me. Can you get it from brokers? I'm thinking i could get it the same time i get my 1st class insurance

The term 'government insurance" just means it's the minimum coverage the government requires just like back home.

The insurance policy is sold by regular insurance companies. If you have 1st class insurance that is probably all you need.

5 minutes ago, Goolabert said:

The term 'government insurance" just means it's the minimum coverage the government requires just like back home.

The insurance policy is sold by regular insurance companies. If you have 1st class insurance that is probably all you need.

Having first class insurance does NOT remove the legal requirement for government insurance. If you are stopped by police then a lack of government insurance will get you fined regardless of what other better insurance you may or may not have.

Anyone with first class insurance would normally get their government insurance from the same insurance broker/agent/office, as they already have your details and will probably send you a reminder when it's due anyway. That's what happens for me.

Its a grey area that, for me at least. The impression i got from an insurance broker when i bought the bike last year was that you still needed govt insurance but ideally from the same insurance company to make any claims simpler.

Edit: i see kks response above which clarifies it

1 minute ago, Scuba+ said:

Its a grey area that, for me at least

No, it is black and white. Rare for Thailand. :)

To get a tax disk you have to have government insurance. First class insurance doesn't cover it. And if you dont have a tax disk then you can be fined.

No, it is black and white. Rare for Thailand. [emoji4]
To get a tax disk you have to have government insurance. First class insurance doesn't cover it. And if you dont have a tax disk then you can be fined.
Ok. What certificate do you get for this government insurance? All i got from a dealer was a form of till receipt

I guess I shouldn't be making assumptions.

BTW, my insurance is a full page document  plus what looks like a typical receipt in a credit card sized envelope stapled into the green book.

I got my insurance from AA Insurance Brokers but the name at the top of the actual policy is "Road Accident Victims Protection Company Limited"

I guess I shouldn't be making assumptions.
BTW, my insurance is a full page document  plus what looks like a typical receipt in a credit card sized envelope stapled into the green book.
I got my insurance from AA Insurance Brokers but the name at the top of the actual policy is "Road Accident Victims Protection Company Limited"
My 1st class from AA was a full page doc, my govt insurance from Mityon Pattaya Tai basically nothing official looking, but it must exist as they got me the tax

Just pure speculation, but if it is a requirement to get the new tax disc it could be maintained in the DLT database and proof of a current tax disc is proof of insurance and is tied to the number plate for the bike.

I've never been asked for proof of insurance. They have always only wanted to see the tax disc and drivers license.

13 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

Ok. What certificate do you get for this government insurance? All i got from a dealer was a form of till receipt

You take that along to the DLT with your blue book and money, and they tear half off and keep it. Then they fill in the year's section in the blue book and give you your tax disk.

No government insurance: no tax disk. No exceptions as far as I know.

I also get a printed insurance certificate from my insurance agent that shows my details and the car's details and the amount paid (645B this year). As far as I know everyone should have that too. The police generally dont seem to care about that as if you have a tax disk then you must have the insurance that goes with it. I do keep a copy of it in my car though, along with the copy of the blue book.

Something very similar to this:

CPTL.jpg

did you know that you can also get the compulsory government insurance (por ror bor) from 7-11

Will need the green/blue book and ID Card 

For all your Pattaya Golf and Hotel Reservations visit www.pattayagolf.com

did you know that you can also get the compulsory government insurance (por ror bor) from 7-11
Do they print a cert out? People mention that you can get tax also, but i can't see them printing a tax disc out

My 1st class from AA was a full page doc, my govt insurance from Mityon Pattaya Tai basically nothing official looking, but it must exist as they got me the tax
AA just confirmed for my renewal soon they will take care of both the govt insurance and 1st class insurance at the same time, they also send out a reminder

6 hours ago, Scuba+ said:
7 hours ago, pattayagolf said:

Do they print a cert out? People mention that you can get tax also, but i can't see them printing a tax disc out

yes you get a one page certificate plus the tear off strip need to buy the tax,  cant get the tax there

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone understand how the dates work for vehicle tax? i bought my bike 6 Oct 17, tax started then but it looks like it expires 31 Oct 18, so nearly 13 months which seems strange

On 8/24/2018 at 18:55, Scuba+ said:

Anyone understand how the dates work for vehicle tax? i bought my bike 6 Oct 17, tax started then but it looks like it expires 31 Oct 18, so nearly 13 months which seems strange

when you buy a new vehicle you drive it out with no tax, 

the tax comes when the vehicle is registered along with number plate and green/blue book

when you buy a new vehicle you drive it out with no tax, 

the tax comes when the vehicle is registered along with number plate and green/blue book

Yeah but that doesn't help with the date question, except if the tax isn't backdated perhaps it started 1st November which makes sense why it is valid to 31 October

2 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

Yeah but that doesn't help with the date question, except if the tax isn't backdated perhaps it started 1st November which makes sense why it is valid to 31 October

it does explain the date,  your bike was registered 31 October 2017 so the tax lasts one year from that date

Its not backdated to the purchase date

Archived