Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Cracked Screen Repair

Dropped my Samsung Galaxy S8+ yesterday cracked the screen. Whilst its still useable Ill be in Pattaya in about 1 week and am thinking of getting it repaired. 

Any exoerience or idea of cost and repair time? Im sure it will be variable depending whom you goto and quality of parts and service so if anyone has any recommendations, TUKCOM or otherwise I'd be appreciative.

BTW this is the glass only and not the entire screen.

Thanks,

Robby.

I've had a couple of phones repaired in Tukcom, a lot cheaper than the uk, usually leave the phone with them and pick it up the next day. There's a couple of guys on the wall to the right of the escalators, just look for the microscopes. Most of the stalls offer repairs but they just take them to one of the other stalls.

As for the quality of the repairs, the phones still work, one of them is an iPhone 2 that I use as my Pattaya phone and I've had it since 2007 so they must have done something right.

Thanks Welbeck. Ill check out the stalls to the right of the escalators for pricing.

Why not just take it to the main Samsung repair place on Pattaya Nua ? Cheaper than Tukcom for anything I've ever needed and genuine Samsung parts too.

I took a Samsung A8 ? there after being quoted 5000bt  + everywhere in Tukcom, took it to Samsung and they said 3200bt ( or 3400bt, can't remember now ).

Update on this for those inteested.

Went to the Samsung SC off Pattaya Dai. They wanted to charge me 10000 for a new screen (LCD with glass). When I asked if they can replace only the glass they said cannot. Ok. Off to Tukcom.

Choose one of the repair shops on the right as you go in and they quoted me 9000. When I asked if they can do the glass only; again, was sorry cannot.

Looks like its back to Singapore where the Samsung SC quoted me $240 for glass only.

Any reason for this? They just trying to make some more money or dont have the parts or dont have the expertise?

Cheers,

Robx.

Another place to try is come out of Big C Extra (Carefor) on Central Pattaya Road down the steps and on opposite side of the road by the traffic lights is a shop that replaces glass on tablets and phones etc. 

I used them at Christmas for a broken ipad screen and cost me 2000 Baht including a fitted protective film for the new glass. I left tablet with them and collected the following day even though they said it would take 2 hours.

Cheers Ill see if I can find it tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks,

Robx.

• 2 months later...

JUST CHECKED WITH SAMSUNG  usa . 199 usd to fix a cracked screen and 20 usd for shipping. singapore seems to be on track as well when it comes to pricing.

they call me mr. botolo always down to represent the 808

• 1 month later...
On 15/06/2018 at 05:53, roknrob said:

Update on this for those inteested.

Went to the Samsung SC off Pattaya Dai. They wanted to charge me 10000 for a new screen (LCD with glass). When I asked if they can replace only the glass they said cannot. Ok. Off to Tukcom.

Choose one of the repair shops on the right as you go in and they quoted me 9000. When I asked if they can do the glass only; again, was sorry cannot.

Looks like its back to Singapore where the Samsung SC quoted me $240 for glass only.

Any reason for this? They just trying to make some more money or dont have the parts or dont have the expertise?

Cheers,

Robx.

I realize your original posts are old, but it looks like no one answered your question. The OLED panel and front gorilla glass are technically two parts, but are fused together in a matrix that is very tricky to separate, to the point that it's very possible to break the OLED panel while trying to remove the glass. Most places refuse to even try, as if they break the panel while trying to remove the glass, that's on them. 

I had a TG's glass repaired at MBK in Bangkok. 1000 baht (a few years ago)

I've done it myself at home also. You use a heat gun to heat up the glass just enough to soften the adhesive. There are lots of youtube videos on how to do it. It's not easy.

That's assuming you can get the correct replacement glass.

Edit:

Hmmm... I watched the video. The reason it's so difficult/expensive to repair is that it's curved glass. You need a special freezer to separate the glue.

14 minutes ago, Biennial said:

I had a TG's glass repaired at MBK in Bangkok. 1000 baht (a few years ago)

I've done it myself at home also. You use a heat gun to heat up the glass just enough to soften the adhesive. There are lots of youtube videos on how to do it. It's not easy.

That's assuming you can get the correct replacement glass.

Edit:

Hmmm... I watched the video. The reason it's so difficult/expensive to repair is that it's curved glass. You need a special freezer to separate the glue.

The S8 is a bitch because of the curved glass and that you have to get through the water tight seal, take out several tiny screws and ribbon cables without breaking them, and remove the frame just to get to the screen assembly even before you can attempt to remove the glass from the digitizer. Equally as bad is trying to get it back together with frame tape. I'd gladly pay money to have someone else replace it. 

8 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

The S8 is a bitch because of the curved glass and that you have to get through the water tight seal, take out several tiny screws and ribbon cables without breaking them, and remove the frame just to get to the screen assembly even before you can attempt to remove the glass from the digitizer. Equally as bad is trying to get it back together with frame tape. I'd gladly pay money to have someone else replace it. 

Yeah, phones are getting harder and more expensive to repair. But why can't they use glass that doesn't break? (Or clear plastic?)

12 minutes ago, Biennial said:

Yeah, phones are getting harder and more expensive to repair. But why can't they use glass that doesn't break? (Or clear plastic?)

There's actually a simple answer to that. Actual glass is inherently vapor proof. Acrylics and other plastics are semi permeable to vapor, so if you want a water tight phone, or even one that doesn't fog up with humidity, you need to go glass. The downside is that I've shattered 75% of the phones I've owned over the years. 

Last phone I worked on was an S6 Edge, and even that was a pain in the ass. I barely got it back together and the case creaked all the time after. There's no way I would attempt the S8, as there's a good change of just breaking what you're trying to install. 

18 minutes ago, Little Evil said:

There's actually a simple answer to that.

So why don't they use the same glass screen protectors are made from?

My last phone was scratched to buggery within a couple of weeks ... not keen on cases and screen protectors. That said, now looking into screen protectors as I just got an S9+ a week or so ago.

On 03/11/2018 at 03:11, Little Evil said:

I realize your original posts are old, but it looks like no one answered your question. The OLED panel and front gorilla glass are technically two parts, but are fused together in a matrix that is very tricky to separate, to the point that it's very possible to break the OLED panel while trying to remove the glass. Most places refuse to even try, as if they break the panel while trying to remove the glass, that's on them. 

Thanks for the feedback and it makes sense. Saw a guy with a mobile repair setup shop outside 7-11 on Soi Bukhauo nearly opposite the entrace to LK Metro with one of those super sized blowdryer looking heat guns.

Didn't bother asking him for a price as I have resigned to living with the cracked glass. But my mate wanted his battery on his Samsung E5 replaced and similarly he had to remove the adhesive on the front screen to get to it. Did it in about 1hr and 1000 which I thought was reasonable. 

Robx Out. 

• 3 months later...

Any other options for a non-Samsung, non-IPhone cellphone?

Archived