Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Visa Advice Please

Taras

•  
  • Sorry for sounding like I've had a brain drain...have read all sorts of stuff on here about visas and think I have finally got it through to the dull cells in my head but will be grateful if someone with more experience can confirm for me:

Planning an initial 3 month visit between November 2018  and February 2019

1. I visit the Thai consulate which for me is in the  UK  and obtain either a single entry or multiple entry tourist visa which is valid for 60 days

2. Towards the end of the 60 day period I need to visit an immigration office and have an extra 30 days added which will cost me 1900 baht ?

3. Presuming the answer to points 1 and 2 will give me a 90 day stay  - If i decide I would like to stay longer than 90 days. i.e. for a further 30, 60 or 90 days what would be the procedure, i.e. would I have to leave the country and start the process all over again or would it be easier to apply for a retirement visa at Immigration ( I meet the criteria - over 50 and 800,000 in bank) 

•  4. Do I have to have a return air-ticket in my possession when I fly out, even though I will not be certain of my return date ? 

Seems to me that the procedure changes from week to week ?    ....Maybe I'll just settle for a month in Blackpool ( only joking ) !

• Thanks for the advice

• T

•  

Taras
  • Advanced Member
  •  
  • 57 posts

The multi-Entry requires a lot more paperwork and is 5 times the price. It will allow you to stay or up to 90 days, leave, then re-enter for another 90 without another visa needed.

The Single Entry requirements are much less, though the exact details can even vary between Consulates in the UK. I use Cardiff and get it within 10 minutes but they charge £35 instead of £25. They don’t ask for any flight or accommodation details but do ask how long I’m staying. I guess you say 59 days and don’t mention maybe staying longer.

Getting the extra 30 days in Thailand isn’t a problem as long as you’re staying somewhere that will give you the right paperwork.

If you want to stay longer then you’ll need to leave Thailand, preferably for at least a few days, then either get a visa exempt stamp on re-Entry for 30 days (extendable to 60) or get another visa in aThai Embassy or Consulate in a neighbouring country.

As you’ll have a visa, there shouldn’t be a problem not having a flight ticket - though a changeable return ticket is probably a decent option anyway.

To get a Retirement Visa the 800000 needs to be in a Thai bank account for at least 2 months before applying, and 3 months before renewal, so you’ll need that if you plan to go down that route - unless you pay an agent for an ‘under the counter’ visa.

Hope that makes some sense!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

8 minutes ago, davidge said:

The multi-Entry requires a lot more paperwork and is 5 times the price. It will allow you to stay or up to 90 days, leave, then re-enter for another 90 without another visa needed.

The Single Entry requirements are much less, though the exact details can even vary between Consulates in the UK. I use Cardiff and get it within 10 minutes but they charge £35 instead of £25. They don’t ask for any flight or accommodation details but do ask how long I’m staying. I guess you say 59 days and don’t mention maybe staying longer.

Getting the extra 30 days in Thailand isn’t a problem as long as you’re staying somewhere that will give you the right paperwork.

If you want to stay longer then you’ll need to leave Thailand, preferably for at least a few days, then either get a visa exempt stamp on re-Entry for 30 days (extendable to 60) or get another visa in aThai Embassy or Consulate in a neighbouring country.

As you’ll have a visa, there shouldn’t be a problem not having a flight ticket - though a changeable return ticket is probably a decent option anyway.

To get a Retirement Visa the 800000 needs to be in a Thai bank account for at least 2 months before applying, and 3 months before renewal, so you’ll need that if you plan to go down that route - unless you pay an agent for an ‘under the counter’ visa.

Could you get a retirement visa in Thailand if you don't open a bank account until arrival, not sure if the extension can be converted to a RV.  This is the position I am in and was going to apply for the retirement visa from London.

Just now, Ludhamlad said:

Could you get a retirement visa in Thailand if you don't open a bank account until arrival, not sure if the extension can be converted to a RV.  This is the position I am in and was going to apply for the retirement visa from London.

No problem getting the Retirement Visa in Thailand, whatever visa you enter on. Just takes time, paperwork and cash.

They have tightened up on bank accounts but you can still get one with a little bit or perseverance.

So, you can enter on a Tourist Visa, open a bank account, transfer the money, start the paperwork to get the Retirement Visa.

There’s always the option of using an agent to help at any stage. Personally, I wouldn’t use one to get the actual RV but would to help with bank account, Certificate of Residence etc if need be.

From my conversation with the Cardiff Consulate, you can now only get a RV in the UK if you are 65 and getting a state pension. Even then, it’s only Single Entry not Multiple. 

18 minutes ago, davidge said:

No problem getting the Retirement Visa in Thailand, whatever visa you enter on. Just takes time, paperwork and cash.

They have tightened up on bank accounts but you can still get one with a little bit or perseverance.

So, you can enter on a Tourist Visa, open a bank account, transfer the money, start the paperwork to get the Retirement Visa.

There’s always the option of using an agent to help at any stage. Personally, I wouldn’t use one to get the actual RV but would to help with bank account, Certificate of Residence etc if need be.

From my conversation with the Cardiff Consulate, you can now only get a RV in the UK if you are 65 and getting a state pension. Even then, it’s only Single Entry not Multiple. 

That's why I'm thinking it's easier to do it here, it's definitely over 50 in London, the medical certificate can be got through my GP, I took the form to my mate who's wife's a GP and she says she would charge £15 then there's the CRB check which is £45.  It will cost around £200 to get it here but then there's no rush to open a bank account and I don't want to be using agents.  

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Ludhamlad said:

That's why I'm thinking it's easier to do it here, it's definitely over 50 in London, the medical certificate can be got through my GP, I took the form to my mate who's wife's a GP and she says she would charge £15 then there's the CRB check which is £45.  It will cost around £200 to get it here but then there's no rush to open a bank account and I don't want to be using agents.  

Cheers.

If you’re sure you can still get the visa from the Embassy, and you don’t already have a Thai bank account, then that makes sense.

2 hours ago, davidge said:

Davidge

Many thanks for this advice and yes it makes sense. 

More than likely I'll go for the single entry visa and if asked  will tell them I plan on staying for 59 days. I will sort anything else out with immigration when I'm over there... I'll make it a priority to visit Jomtien Immigration in the first week over there, just so as I know exactly what is expected of me if I want to extend my stay, etc..

I will be staying with my GF at her Condo. I will find out what if any  paperwork she is required to complete and I imagine she may need to go to immigration with me... I'll take her anyway to get over any language difficulties. 

Makes sense to have a changeable return flight ticket. 

Will sort out a bank account asap on my arrival either by myself with the help of the GF or ask an agent to sort it for me

As I am over 50 and have sufficient funds don't really want to go down the route of an 'under the counter' visa but know a few guys who do this easily and have done so on a year on year basis and if push comes to shove then so be it...

Thankyou for your help

T. 

18 minutes ago, Taras said:

Davidge

Many thanks for this advice and yes it makes sense. 

More than likely I'll go for the single entry visa and if asked  will tell them I plan on staying for 59 days. I will sort anything else out with immigration when I'm over there... I'll make it a priority to visit Jomtien Immigration in the first week over there, just so as I know exactly what is expected of me if I want to extend my stay, etc..

I will be staying with my GF at her Condo. I will find out what if any  paperwork she is required to complete and I imagine she may need to go to immigration with me... I'll take her anyway to get over any language difficulties. 

Makes sense to have a changeable return flight ticket. 

Will sort out a bank account asap on my arrival either by myself with the help of the GF or ask an agent to sort it for me

As I am over 50 and have sufficient funds don't really want to go down the route of an 'under the counter' visa but know a few guys who do this easily and have done so on a year on year basis and if push comes to shove then so be it...

Thankyou for your help

T. 

If you’re staying with your girlfriend then make sure she goes to Immigration to submit a TM30 as soon as you arrive or you are likely to have problems (fine) when getting an extension.

On 5/31/2018 at 02:59, Taras said:
  •  
  • Sorry for sounding like I've had a brain drain...have read all sorts of stuff on here about visas and think I have finally got it through to the dull cells in my head but will be grateful if someone with more experience can confirm for me:

1. I visit the Thai consulate which for me is in the  UK  and obtain either a single entry or multiple entry tourist visa which is valid for 60 days

2. Towards the end of the 60 day period I need to visit an immigration office and have an extra 30 days added which will cost me 1900 baht ?

3. Presuming the answer to points 1 and 2 will give me a 90 day stay  - If i decide I would like to stay longer than 90 days. i.e. for a further 30, 60 or 90 days what would be the procedure, i.e. would I have to leave the country and start the process all over again or would it be easier to apply for a retirement visa at Immigration ( I meet the criteria - over 50 and 800,000 in bank) 

•  4. Do I have to have a return air-ticket in my possession when I fly out, even though I will not be certain of my return date ? 

Seems to me that the procedure changes from week to week ?    ....Maybe I'll just settle for a month in Blackpool ( only joking ) !

• Thanks for the advice

• T

•  

Taras
  • Advanced Member
  •  
  • 57 posts

your confusing the issue a bit with the to much combined information  leaving the country will start the process again for a METV a visa on arrival will be issued on borders otherwise this is discretionary for land crossing more than 2 twice.

don't think about a retirement visa unless your planning a 15 months stay  .

1) arrive single entry 60 days extend 30 days total 90 days. to get more do a border run to cambodia to get another 30 days then extend again for 30 day now your up to 150 days

2) arrival on  multiple entry get 60 days choice of extending for 30 to get 90 then repeat process total 180 repeat  or doing a border run before every visa expiry date run for a new 60 days.

To get a max use of METV do border run on day of expiry to get another 60 days then a 30 day extension effectively giving you 9 months. 

you can repeat the border run process one more time after the effective 9 months with a 30 day entry and a 30 day extension  giving you now 11 months total.this is discretionary your visa entries will need to reflect your a genuine tourist.for land crossings

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

14 hours ago, talung66 said:

your confusing the issue a bit with the to much combined information  leaving the country will start the process again for a METV a visa on arrival will be issued on borders otherwise this is discretionary for land crossing more than 2 twice.

don't think about a retirement visa unless your planning a 15 months stay  .

1) arrive single entry 60 days extend 30 days total 90 days. to get more do a border run to cambodia to get another 30 days then extend again for 30 day now your up to 150 days

2) arrival on  multiple entry get 60 days choice of extending for 30 to get 90 then repeat process total 180 repeat  or doing a border run before every visa expiry date run for a new 60 days.

To get a max use of METV do border run on day of expiry to get another 60 days then a 30 day extension effectively giving you 9 months. 

you can repeat the border run process one more time after the effective 9 months with a 30 day entry and a 30 day extension  giving you now 11 months total.this is discretionary your visa entries will need to reflect your a genuine tourist.for land crossings

Thanks for this info

More than likely will opt for option 1 

It will be the first time I have stayed  in Thailand for more than 1 month so makes sense to park the idea about a retirement visa until I see how it goes. 150 days ( indeed 90 days) will give me good indication as to whether it's for me or if I'm more suited to more frequent shorter trips..

T.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2018 at 19:15, Ludhamlad said:

Cheers.

Just this morning I took the Medical certificate to my local surgery and got blank looks from all of them, never seen this form before.

Filled in my name on the form and Left it with them to pass to my doctor, asked when I should come back to collect and told to leave it a week.

Hoping there no problem or delay.

On 03/06/2018 at 19:53, Taras said:

Thanks for this info

More than likely will opt for option 1 

It will be the first time I have stayed  in Thailand for more than 1 month so makes sense to park the idea about a retirement visa until I see how it goes. 150 days ( indeed 90 days) will give me good indication as to whether it's for me or if I'm more suited to more frequent shorter trips..

T.  

I've looked at this too but as I'm going for three months this year and a further two or three early next year Im going for the retirement option.

Spider, Filipina GF and I spent 5 months a year in Pattaya for the last 6 years without a problem. Never questioned at immigration, tho too old  not to be working illegally. 2X60 days and one 30 day no visa.  TV from embassy in Manila,  Philippines where I have Residency. Depends how hard it is for you to get a TV in your home country

1 hour ago, spider0064 said:

Just this morning I took the Medical certificate to my local surgery and got blank looks from all of them, never seen this form before.

Filled in my name on the form and Left it with them to pass to my doctor, asked when I should come back to collect and told to leave it a week.

Hoping there no problem or delay.

Yea not surprised you got blank looks the mate who's wife was the GP on seeing the form said she had never seen one like that before.  

On 31/05/2018 at 00:24, davidge said:

Just a slight correction.  if you leave the country.  you can return the same day and get a new stamp.  There is no need to remain outside LOS for any period at all.  I have done this a few times, by getting a cheap return flight to Singapore, leaving in the monring and returning in the late afternoon. Last time, it cost me less than 3,000 Bhat on Scoot.

12 hours ago, Ludhamlad said:

Yea not surprised you got blank looks the mate who's wife was the GP on seeing the form said she had never seen one like that before.  

Just hope I can get this back asap as it dictates everything else ...

5 hours ago, spider0064 said:

Just hope I can get this back asap as it dictates everything else ...

Good luck will be interested to hear how you get on so let us know.

On that Long Stay application form I see it's asking for a reference person in Thailand, can this be a friend or does it have to be a Thai national?  I doubt they will be contacted.

18 hours ago, Tripp said:

Just a slight correction.  if you leave the country.  you can return the same day and get a new stamp.  There is no need to remain outside LOS for any period at all.  I have done this a few times, by getting a cheap return flight to Singapore, leaving in the monring and returning in the late afternoon. Last time, it cost me less than 3,000 Bhat on Scoot.

Yes, I know. I put ‘preferably for at least a few days’ because they did get a bit antsy about people just going out and straight back in a while back - though more at land crossings than by air.

It can sometimes be better to keep the history as ‘clean’ as possible in case you’re flagged. 

2 hours ago, davidge said:

Yes, I know. I put ‘preferably for at least a few days’ because they did get a bit antsy about people just going out and straight back in a while back - though more at land crossings than by air.

It can sometimes be better to keep the history as ‘clean’ as possible in case you’re flagged. 

Yes, true.  I could have argued that I had a meeting in Singapore as the turnaround time was 2 hours.  I understand that you only need an entry stamp into another country, even if you just come straight back out again .  Interesting thing for me was that the Singapore IO, smiled and said yes, I understand, when I said that I was going straight back.  His look said it all.

On 13/06/2018 at 07:15, Ludhamlad said:

Good luck will be interested to hear how you get on so let us know.

On that Long Stay application form I see it's asking for a reference person in Thailand, can this be a friend or does it have to be a Thai national?  I doubt they will be contacted.

Got a call from the surgery today doctor wants to see me next week £30 charge LOL

oh well at least I can arrange everything else once this is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited the doctor yesterday with a few checks which was good to have and then just asking a few question on the form.

All good certificate in hand and no charge next step the criminal record check.

6 minutes ago, spider0064 said:

Visited the doctor yesterday with a few checks which was good to have and then just asking a few question on the form.

All good certificate in hand and no charge next step the criminal record check.

No charge you lucky chap 555 I'm taking my form in next week, hope mine's the same.

On 6/12/2018 at 16:59, biggles said:

Spider, Filipina GF and I spent 5 months a year in Pattaya for the last 6 years without a problem. Never questioned at immigration, tho too old  not to be working illegally. 2X60 days and one 30 day no visa.  TV from embassy in Manila,  Philippines where I have Residency. Depends how hard it is for you to get a TV in your home country

Hey, Biggles hope you and the Pinay GF and finding life good my friend. Yes indeed, the Thai consulate on Rada in Manila is quite liberal at handing out Visas that are otherwise, hard to get elsewhere. Are you talking about the Type "O" Multi-Entry Non-Immigrant visa good for 1 year or 6 months? I believe that's around $140 USD something around there. 

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

On 5/31/2018 at 00:59, Taras said:
  •  

• Thanks for the advice

• T

•  

Taras
  • Advanced Member
  •  
  • 57 posts

Hi here is a link to the Royal Thai Embassy in London visa page, from my reading of the Thai visa rules RV's can only be issued by an Embassy and not a Consulate, only tourist visas can be issued from a consulate, you can obtain a none immigrant/retirement visa if you are 50 years of age or older, and tourist visas allow for a 60 day stay, single or multiple entry...

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84395-Types-of-Visas.html

Here is something i prepared for a friend who intends applying for a RV with additional notes.

It is from my memory and my experience  in getting a RV over many years so feel free to correct any out of date items.

Easiest Route to get a RV,

1.    Get a 3 months Non- Immigrant O visa in your own country. London Embassy £50

2.  @.Odin. Open a bank account and transfer over 800,000 baht. Some branches will do, some wont. You might need a letter from Immigration to the bank to say OK as you plan to get a RV.

3.   Wait until you have the 800,000 in the bank for 2 months.

4.   Go to Immigration and apply for Extension of Stay usually referred to as a Retirement Visa (RV)

Complete Form TM7 –“Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom”.

Fee 1900 Baht.

Take Passport and copy of relevant pages of the Passport.

Copy of bank book. 

Letter from bank confirming you have over 800.000 within 3 days of going to immigration. Take some money out of the bank a few days earlier to prove the 800,000 Baht is in an accessible account.

Copy of rental agreement (or equivalent) confirming your residence.

Make sure when arriving in country that your place of residence has been registered with Immigration .Form TM30 can be used,

Note: As an alternative to 800,000 Baht in a bank account you can use Letter from your Embassy confirming you have a pension/ income equivalent to 65,000 Baht per month.

The Non-Immigrant O Visa can be obtained at Bangkok Immigration. Jomtien Immigration’ can get it for you from Bangkok but I have heard “fees” of  20,000 baht mentioned but I assume they process the RV at the same time..

If application is approved you will have to go back next day to collect your passport with the RV stamp. Make sure you have already have a set of photo-copies of your passport pages and get a copy of the RV stamp and apply for a re-entry Visa on Form TM8. Single entry 1000 baht; Multiple entry 3900 Baht. Get the Form when you go to apply for your RV and complete before you go..

Unless of course you plan to stay in Pattaya for the next 12 months.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Archived