IGNORED

Restaurants I Like or Want to Try

In 2016 I retired from an IT career. I came  out to Pattaya and stayed in Jomtien. I had not been to Thailand for close to 15 years and had never stayed in Jomtien before. Back in the day, I was a regular in Bangkok and Pattaya.

I was really impressed with the restaurants (did not really care in days gone by) and also liked Jomtien.

I have been returning with increased frequency and increasing length of stays. I will likely become an ex-pat within a year. I spent the first four months of 2018 in Jomtien and will also spend the last three months of 2018 there. I start 2019 in  Jomtien for three months (continuation of the 2018 stay).

I maintain a restaurant list. I have shared it before on this board and some others seem to find it informative. I am posting the first half of 2018 edition in this thread. The list has evolved considerably. It focuses on Jomtien for obvious reasons, but includes a few favorite places in Pattaya. Some may find it a little too upscale for their tastes, but it includes the better cheap eats places that I have found. This edition includes a lot of weeding. As I added more places, the list became crowded with places I no longer was interested in keeping track of.

Anyway, comments and suggestions are welcome. Always looking for new places.

Restaurants V08.20180501.pdf

2 new terrific places to add:

Comfort By Harlan, Fusion International - Cozy Beach Soi 2

Arepa, Venezuela/Mexican - Jomtien between the Statue and Archway (next to Simons Fish Chips)

3 more of my reliable favorites:

LaMerenda,  Italian - Jomtien 2nd Rd. Between Soi 9 & Soi 7 about 200 meters south of Bangkok Bank

JayToom, Seafood - Jomtien Take Jomtien 2nd Rd, just past Rhompo Market and turn left, about 300 meters up the hill.

La Baquette, French Bakery - Jomtien Thappraya Rd. next to CourtHouse

1 hour ago, jiz said:

Arepa, Venezuela/Mexican - Jomtien between the Statue and Archway (next to Simons Fish Chips)

LaMerenda,  Italian - Jomtien 2nd Rd. Between Soi 9 & Soi 7 about 200 meters south of Bangkok Bank

JayToom, Seafood - Jomtien Take Jomtien 2nd Rd, just past Rhompo Market and turn left, about 300 meters up the hill.

Thanks.

Comfort By Harlan - where is Cozy Beach?

Arepa - They must have just opened. I noticed the sign just before I left on May 1st. Good to hear they have a good product. I have spent some time in Colombia and Mexico.

LaMerenda and JayToom - these are new to me. Going to be difficult to get me out of Gian's though.

LaBaguette - Surprised to see this one. I have heard less than complimentary things about this place, especially the service.

8 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Pratumnak. You need transport to get there. Known as Kasetsin Soi 2.

https://goo.gl/maps/3DH5hZpgAt22

https://www.comfortbyharlan.com/

8 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Arepa - They must have just opened.

Yes, a couple of weeks ago. The owner told me that he owns it with his brother, and that they have another place in London somewhere.

He gave me a taste of the fillings/sauces they use, and they seemed authentic to me.

I cant believe you have never tried the brunch at Casa Pascal.

2 hours ago, jiz said:

Sounds like Jomtien is the culinary epicentre of Pattaya :)

11 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Yep, I haven't been there for awhile. I might go again this morning. 

36 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Thanks.

Arepa - They must have just opened. I noticed the sign just before I left on May 1st. Good to hear they have a good product. I have spent some time in Colombia and Mexico.

LaMerenda and JayToom - these are new to me. Going to be difficult to get me out of Gian's though.

LaBaguette - Surprised to see this one. I have heard less than complimentary things about this place, especially the service.

Gain’s is great, a bit fancy.

LaMerenda is more like having a dinner at your Italian neighbors house. 

He makes the tagliatelle and bread in house.

JaToom is a favorite for the seafood food lovers that travel all the way from Bangkok.

Try them, you’ll be glad you did.

Tried Comfort by Harlan last month. Some of the staff still seemed to be finding their feet but the food was great. I would certainly go back but ran out of time that trip.

Too bad he only started the brunches the following weekend or I could have squeezed in 1 more visit

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I am a light eater. I eat a lot of seafood and chicken. Yeah, I know there is a fair amount of pasta in the list, but that is one vice I can not completely break. I am down 55 pounds over the last 6 years by doing this.

I have heard a lot of good things about Casa Pascal, but I get the impression that it serves the heavier foods that I try to avoid. If I am reading to much into others comments, let me know. I do not go to Rich Man, Poor Man for the same reason.

2 hours ago, Kahoy said:

Sounds like Jomtien is the culinary epicentre of Pattaya :)

I would not argue with that statement. :)

2 hours ago, jiz said:

JaToom is a favorite for the seafood food lovers that travel all the way from Bangkok.

Is this Thai seafood? Given the location, that would be my guess and that makes it a good place to take a lady friend.

3 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Is this Thai seafood? Given the location, that would be my guess and that makes it a good place to take a lady friend.

The sign out front is in Thai language only. 

Your ladyfriend will be pleased with the food I’m sure. 

1 hour ago, jiz said:

The sign out front is in Thai language only. 

Your ladyfriend will be pleased with the food I’m sure. 

Just to be sure, you originally described the place as making a left just past Rompho. I take it you mean going South from Rompho. Correct?

4 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Just to be sure, you originally described the place as making a left just past Rompho. I take it you mean going South from Rompho. Correct?

Correct. Turn left at the 7/11 as you head south on 2nd Rd.

The restaurant is adjacent to the top right corner of the Rhompo beer bar complex. 

I want to try Taco Bell in Pattaya.

5 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

I want to try Taco Bell in Pattaya.

A friend raves about Taco taco in Soi Buakhao.

6 minutes ago, Kahoy said:

A friend raves about Taco taco in Soi Buakhao.

Your friend is right, she makes the best tacos and burritos in town. But having a taco bell would be a nice change of pace.

7 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I have heard a lot of good things about Casa Pascal, but I get the impression that it serves the heavier foods that I try to avoid. If I am reading to much into others comments, let me know.

Well, I would not attempt to suggest that their buffet doesn't include some fattening things. But there are also plenty of other things to try that are less fattening. Some are even healthy.

Even if you only had an omelette, some smoked fish, regular salad and fruit salad, and a few cups of coffee, you would not be paying more than you would elsewhere for something much more limited. So I would say that it is suitable even on a diet. Though you would need some will-power as well.

9 hours ago, Kahoy said:

Sounds like Jomtien is the culinary epicentre of Pattaya

Well, it's got to be the epicentre of something.

Try fat belly up towards naklua. Modern Thai fusion food. Delicious

Had a meal at...

>>Arepa, Venezuela/Mexican - Jomtien between the Statue and Archway (next to Simons Fish Chips)

...yesterday, and while they make their own corn bread which is good, I came away thinking it was just above average.

I certainly prefer Lone Star (for Fajitas) and Dave's Cantina (especially for the special Shrimp tacos) for Mexican food...also as mentioned above the Taco stall on Buaklow Market is also good.

Thanks for the new list @jiz, I love trying out new places :)

Also thanks @ChiFlyer for the original list...I have worked through most of the list and have enjoyed eating at those places.

Archived