IGNORED

6 Month METV issue

Explorer8939

I applied for the 6 month visa through an agency here in US. They told me that I need to provide confirmation of a hotel for my entire stay.

Then, they said not to book a hotel for 6 months because I might not be approved, and that I should book for one month, and then get extended up to 6 months. This be very confusing, as I don't know the process for extending within the 6 months validity of the visa.

This is the first I heard of the Consulate requiring confirmation of the entire 6 month stay.

AFAIK, they want hotel confirmation for the first 60 days (as per stay allowed in TV), if you want to extend that by another 30 days that's a different ball game in Jomtien immigration. However, while processing METV at the consulate they might want proof of your onward/return travel after the first 60 days.

................................................................................................................

2 hours ago, Mick Pattaya said:

AFAIK, they want hotel confirmation for the first 60 days (as per stay allowed in TV), if you want to extend that by another 30 days that's a different ball game in Jomtien immigration. However, while processing METV at the consulate they might want proof of your onward/return travel after the first 60 days.

That's a little weird, that they want me to prove I am flying out of Thailand 60 days after arriving on a 6 month visa. The logic escapes me.

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa will be valid within 180 days from the date of issue. Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand not exceeding 60 days for each entry within the period of 6 months from the date of arrival in Thailand.

2 hours ago, euroxus said:

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa will be valid within 180 days from the date of issue. Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand not exceeding 60 days for each entry within the period of 6 months from the date of arrival in Thailand.

Oh. I will have to get out of Thailand 60 days after my first entry. I will be working on that.

update: Done, a quick trip to Kuala Lumpur from Pattaya has been scheduled.

On each entry you are allowed maximum 60 days only (same limitation as a standard TV). Of course, you can extend it at Jomtien immigration for another 30 days subject to discretion of the immigration officer.

................................................................................................................

On 5/22/2018 at 18:54, Explorer8939 said:

Oh. I will have to get out of Thailand 60 days after my first entry. I will be working on that.

update: Done, a quick trip to Kuala Lumpur from Pattaya has been scheduled.

Nope.

The Thai Consulate in LA required a return ticket to the US within 60 days of my arrival. A quick trip to Malaysia at the end of my 60 days was not enough.

This means that I have to adjust my flight to Thailand to fit within the 60 day limit. A major pain.

Explorer just read the posts and to me looks like you want to visit Thailand for six months with an METV? Not sure why you have tried to use an agency rather than deal direct with some of the consulates within the US. Some of what they are asking for doesn't sound the same requirements we have to do in the UK.

My advice to you would be put your questions(stating where you are from and how long you want to stay) in the Thai visa forum in the METV section and its moderated by a guy called Ubonjoe. He usually answers a lot of the questions and seems to know his stuff. Here's the link. Obviously you will have to register to post your question.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/870548-the-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-topic-metv/?page=170

1 hour ago, Gaztop08 said:

Explorer just read the posts and to me looks like you want to visit Thailand for six months with an METV? Not sure why you have tried to use an agency rather than deal direct with some of the consulates within the US. Some of what they are asking for doesn't sound the same requirements we have to do in the UK.

My advice to you would be put your questions(stating where you are from and how long you want to stay) in the Thai visa forum in the METV section and its moderated by a guy called Ubonjoe. He usually answers a lot of the questions and seems to know his stuff. Here's the link. Obviously you will have to register to post your question.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/870548-the-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-topic-metv/?page=170

Dealing with the Consulate directly would be a nightmare, they are located far away, and I am not in the mood to go back and forth.

thanks for the link.

8 hours ago, Explorer8939 said:

Nope.

The Thai Consulate in LA required a return ticket to the US within 60 days of my arrival. A quick trip to Malaysia at the end of my 60 days was not enough.

This means that I have to adjust my flight to Thailand to fit within the 60 day limit. A major pain.

I've never heard of the requirement to go back to the US within 60 days. Actually it makes no sense since the visa is good for 6 months. I've always heard onward travel within 60 days.

Every consulate has its own procedures. There is no consistency. A METV is intended for multiple visits, not for effectively being a resident. Your proposed itenerary might suggest that the real intent of your visit is to work illegally in Thailand. I would research what others have done to get a METV. Maybe you need to buy a ticket to get the visa and then cancel it later. Basically throwing money at the problem to make it go away. Before you complain too much, think about what a Thai person has to go through to visit your country.

The agency intervened with the Consulate and resolved the issues, at least for today, but I did change my airline ticket to come back to the US within 60 days. 

The question is what happens when I want to return to Thailand? Will I need to have a return ticket to the US, or can I show up with a flight to, say, Malaysia 60 days after my entry?

If you are asking about entry requirements for someone who already has a visa, then my understanding is there is no onward ticket requirement. Typically it is the airline that is more concerned about this than immigration and so far the airline has been satisfied when I showed them my tourist visa.

I received my visa today. The only down side is that the effective date is May 30, not the date I indicated that would be my first entry into Thailand. So, I lost 2 weeks.

4 minutes ago, Explorer8939 said:

I received my visa today. The only down side is that the effective date is May 30, not the date I indicated that would be my first entry into Thailand. So, I lost 2 weeks.

No. The 6 months doesn’t start until you enter Thailand.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

1 minute ago, davidge said:

Unfortunately, the end date on my visa is clearly indicated as November 29, six months from May 30, the effective date.

12 minutes ago, Explorer8939 said:

Unfortunately, the end date on my visa is clearly indicated as November 29, six months from May 30, the effective date.

That really doesn’t sound right. (Edit: the Visa is valid for 6 months. That is, your FIRST entry into Thailand has to be within 6 months. You then get 6 months from that date to use the visa as many times as you want).

In any case, if you time your trips out of Thailand properly you can get nearly 9 months out of the visa.

Enter for 60 days. Extend for 30.

Before you reach 90 days, do a side trip and re-enter Thailand.

Get 60 days, extend for 30.

Time your second exit/re-Entry so the Visa is still valid, then you get another 60 days which you can extend for 30.

You have to leave Thailand twice, but it can be for just a day or two.

My Visa is effective on May 30, and terminates on November 29.

I am told I must leave Thailand by August 12, or 59 days after my initial entry on June 14. What happens after that is a mystery.

7 hours ago, davidge said:

That really doesn’t sound right. (Edit: the Visa is valid for 6 months. That is, your FIRST entry into Thailand has to be within 6 months. You then get 6 months from that date to use the visa as many times as you want).

In any case, if you time your trips out of Thailand properly you can get nearly 9 months out of the visa.

Enter for 60 days. Extend for 30.

Before you reach 90 days, do a side trip and re-enter Thailand.

Get 60 days, extend for 30.

Time your second exit/re-Entry so the Visa is still valid, then you get another 60 days which you can extend for 30.

You have to leave Thailand twice, but it can be for just a day or two.

METV is valid for 6 months from the day it is issued. To get the full 6 months +, you need to enter Thailand as soon as possible after the issue date.

12 hours ago, davidge said:

The METV expires 6 months after issue. Your final entry must be before it expires.

Sorry for misunderstanding. That makes an METV even less worthwhile! Really don’t think it’s worth the extra hassle compared to a SETV.

Anyway, OP, you can still enter up to the expiry date and you can stay up to 89 days after that. Just time your trips out of Thailand to make the most of it.

2 hours ago, davidge said:

Sorry for misunderstanding. That makes an METV even less worthwhile! Really don’t think it’s worth the extra hassle compared to a SETV.

Anyway, OP, you can still enter up to the expiry date and you can stay up to 89 days after that. Just time your trips out of Thailand to make the most of it.

Depends on length of stay. METV can give you 8 to 9 mths. Costs wise be the same or cheaper than arranging 3 SETVs and less hassle.

On 5/30/2018 at 05:58, Explorer8939 said:

Nope.

sounds like your a bit confused the the hotel reservation  is only needed for your arrival night. and the return ticket just need to be that a return ticket.it is assumed by the issuing consulate your traveling in between with your METV 

You shouldn't need to just flights  just go to cambodia on a visa run if needed for the day multiple company do this i use first class visa on so i6 in Queen vic.

On 6/2/2018 at 03:32, Explorer8939 said:

not really as mention by davidge above

On 6/2/2018 at 03:37, davidge said:

No and no i think you know that the 6 month expiry date is the last day you can get issued with a new 60 days so effectively you gain 60 at a minimum.

On 6/2/2018 at 03:39, Explorer8939 said:

yes it both you and davidge are a little confused above the 60 days will start on your arrival day you can go in and out as much as you want and every entry will get you 60 days.so on the 29 of november you can go to cambodia and get another 60 days taking you to january then extend at jomtien for another 30 

19 hours ago, davidge said:

yes i have been doing a METV for 2 years now and now know  the 2900 baht visa run is better used going to the Philippines or somewhere else and returning on a SETV and extending 

arriving on a SETV and extending then going O/S and doing the same again getting 6 months is cheaper and more enjoyable.

19 hours ago, pasta man said:

The METV expires 6 months after issue. Your final entry must be before it expires.

yes it is just like a use by date on food

On 6/2/2018 at 11:42, rhodie said:

METV is valid for 6 months from the day it is issued. To get the full 6 months +, you need to enter Thailand as soon as possible after the issue date.

as mentioned above not really its more like to get the full 8 months you need to enter and leave on issue and expiry date.

On 6/2/2018 at 10:30, Explorer8939 said:

My Visa is effective on May 30, and terminates on November 29.

I am told I must leave Thailand by August 12, or 59 days after my initial entry on June 14. What happens after that is a mystery.

on june 14 you have options as i mentioned above and now below in detail .

Got to jomtien and extend for 30 day this can be only done once after each entry. the cost is 1900 baht from what i remember or you can get a shop to do it for around 1000 baht  fee on top baht  excellent value if you don't like queuing and filling in forms.and getting photocopies you will waste half a day doing it yourself

or do a land crossing at minimum and come back this will issue you with another 60 days. again better of using a company. priced from 2200 to 2900 you get what you pay for in comfort.

PS DON'T RENEW YOURSELF UNLESS YOU KNOW YOU HAVE BEEN REGISTERED FOR A TM30 FINE WILL BE 2000BHT

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:50, davidge said:

The METV does not become the first day you enter Thailand, the effective date is the date of issuance.

**A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance. Do not apply for the visa too early. If you apply too early the visa may expire before your trip and you will have to re-apply. The fee is not refundable***

I am not getting the visa to squeeze as many days as possible in Thailand, I am getting it to be able to go to Thailand for long stretches for the remainder of this year. I don’t want to show up in October hoping for a visa waiver 30 day stay and be told that I have been in Thailand too long this year.

now that I have my visa and am planning a 60 day stay, what happens if I take a short trip out of the country after the first week? Does that trigger another 60 day period?

Archived