IGNORED

Motorbike Taxi stand supervisors called to meeting with Pattaya officials over recent tourist attack

The Pattaya News

taximeeting2-300x200.jpg

Pattaya-

As we reported previously, motorbike taxi drivers in Pattaya have again been in the news recently after an attack on a German tourist, Andreas Bauer, after he attempted take off a clamp on his seized motorbike as he had no license in, what he self described, as a moment of panic.

On Sunday, the 20th, around 3:00PM the head of each motorbike taxi stand in Pattaya (Every stand has a supervisor) was summoned to Alcazar on Second Road for a meeting with top Thai officials.

Officials from the Department of Land Transportation, the military and Bang Lamung district representatives were present.

The motorbike taxi drivers were told that despite reorganization, multiple training sessions, appeals for assistance and re-certification for all drivers that they were still mis behaving. The supervisors were reminded that motorbike drivers were the “Face of Pattaya” to many tourists and the community and that the action one bad motorbike driver took damaged the reputation of the entire city and all motorbike drivers.

Their message was very clear to the drivers: Be fair, charge consistent and reasonable fares per Thai law and do not get involved in disputes between tourists and business owners, instead, call the police to handle the situation. The days of motorbike drivers helping be “reinforcement” for drunken or problematic customers are well over the supervisors were informed. It was mentioned and admitted that in the recent situation the German tourist was indeed very rude to Thailand and Thai people and attempted to resist arrest, however, it was a situation for police to handle NOT motorbike drivers.

We will provide more details as we get them.

The post Motorbike Taxi stand supervisors called to meeting with Pattaya officials over recent tourist attack appeared first on The Pattaya News.

Click To View The Pattaya News Website

https://thepattayanews.com/newsletter/

Check out our Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCznGH-m-TAn2iqTYQL5yOcA

That's why I refuse to take motobike taxis. I'm afraid of the way they get aggressive if you don't accept their hyper-inflated fare quote, or if you tell them to slow down.  I stick to the baht bus which is a better value and I feel safer.

Official DLT prices

Rides of two kilometers or less should not exceed 25 baht.

The third through fifth kilometer adds only 5 baht each to the fare.

Distances of more than five kilometers would remain negotiable.

Those overcharging will be subject to a 5,000 baht fine and/or a six-month suspension of their public-transport driving license.

Enforced as well as the 80 baht lottery ticket price......

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

Why isn't Grab moto available in Thailand yet? I saw it in Jakarta.

1 hour ago, freedom42 said:

Official DLT prices

Those overcharging will be subject to a 5,000 baht fine and/or a six-month suspension of their public-transport driving license.

I make it a rule to never get on a moto, seeing how some of them drive with passengers on the back. The one time I made an exception was when I mildly strained my ankle in a pothole near Full Love Inn across 3rd road, I asked a group of moto's how much to Soi lengkee, they tried to charge me 100 baht but one settled for 20 baht. Off we go and are at the corner of Lengkee in seconds at which point the snaggle toothed git is demanding 100 baht for the journey.

5 hours ago, insider said:

I make it a rule to never get on a moto, seeing how some of them drive with passengers on the back.

I agree with this. One should take into account the fact that you might also not be covered by your travel insurance for this type of risk:unsure:

2 minutes ago, PAT21 said:

I agree with this. One should take into account the fact that you might also not be covered by your travel insurance for this type of risk:unsure:

Yep, I checked my policy for my upcoming visit and found that it actually states that driving without correct license for the country in question or being a passenger without a helmet voids any liability on my insurers part in the event of a motorbike accident.

7 hours ago, freedom42 said:

Official DLT prices

That's funny. One night I was going from Walking Street to Soi 8 and the guy quoted me 1000 baht. I told him no thanks and he dropped it to 500. I was walking away and he got aggressive with me. Being in Thailand and knowing I can't/will never win a fight - I quickly high stepped it out of there. And knowing most expats/boared members like pattayabrian would never side with me (due to Thai bias), I never shared it. 

TL/DL: I refuse to take motobikes.

Wow, this kind of official intervention would never happen in a million years in AC. Trike drivers are the worst perps for anything going down. They also have standard fees but try getting one to charge foreigners the standard rate. Thailand is so much more advanced in this regard.

There are only three trips when I ever use Moto taxi - Soi10 to LK, WS to Soi10 and occasionally Soi10 to Soi Batman. I have consistently paid 30/40, 60/80 and 80/100 Baht for these trips in the last several months. Multiply by two when a girl is with me. Safety is an issue though. Way they drive it’s scary.

3 hours ago, Kahoy said:

Wow, this kind of official intervention would never happen in a million years in AC. Trike drivers are the worst perps for anything going down. They also have standard fees but try getting one to charge foreigners the standard rate. Thailand is so much more advanced in this regard.

if you think anything is going to change on the ground you are sadly mistaken.

12 hours ago, freedom42 said:

Official DLT prices

That's interesting. I've never seen that before. It isn't anything even close to reality, but who would expect it to be? We're talking Pattaya here.

If you are a farang, moto taxi riders automatically assume you are a tourist. They can't tell an experienced expat from a first time visitor, so they are always going to jack up the price. If you are leaving Walking Street they are positive that you are a tourist and they will quote prices that are so ridiculous I don't think even most tourists would pay them. But obviously some do.

The further you are away from the touristy areas, the more reasonable they become. They still overcharge, but it isn't as nutty.

Archived