IGNORED

So's Place on Soi 15 behind The Avenue

Great review, thanks - this is exactly the kind of place I like eating at while on holiday in Thailand. 

• Like 2

Had several meals there, all good. 

However, agree with the Monday music being too loud... even if eating at spagetti bistro (not quite next door) if was loud...

4 minutes ago, imitebee said:

Had several meals there, all good. 

However, agree with the Monday music being too loud... even if eating at spagetti bistro (not quite next door) if was loud...

somebody say monday? i took this april 10th

5afb249700459_april10002(Custom).JPG.323f3ddfae5a7f8a327be870ba5a4977.JPG

• Like 1

Also, thanks for the review.

I stay at the Areca Lodge 4 times a year and walk Soi 15 to the Avenue when going anywhere except the LK Metro area and have notice So's Place, but never thought to give a try. I notice some evenings the place is busy.

Both food and prices look good, so will give it a try next month.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

Great pics and review. Saw a post ages ago and every trip have tried to eat there but seating very limited and place was busy.

Any rec on a good time to go?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tarl said:

Great pics and review. Saw a post ages ago and every trip have tried to eat there but seating very limited and place was busy.

Any rec on a good time to go?

Now that So's has expanded, seating is no longer as difficult as it was on occasion in the past.  Like many restaurants,  So's is probably busiest between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m., but even then, there's only been one evening recently when it seemed every seat was taken.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Sounds like another good reason to stay in that area, will give it a go next trip. Its quite handy for anyone ataying at the areca to use that soi to get onto 2nd rd particularly if staying in the evergreen wing.

Nice review...I haven't been there in a while and am very happy to hear they expanded and continue their success.

So is a great cook and Rick is a good host....I like to order a double Yum Talay ....always fresh .

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update.  I have pretty well eaten my way through the whole menu at So's, so I finally got around to trying the sweet and sour chicken,  It and chicken with cashews are the last two dishes I order at a Thai restaurant.  Nothing inherently wrong with either, but all too often they' are adapted to meet farang expectations  based on Chinese restaurants in the West.  

I'm happy to say  that wasn't the case at So's.  It wasn't overly sweet from sugar or  a plateful of pineapple chunks.

IMG_0138.jpg.b5cb51d140399ab5e236702294b

The dish had plenty of vegetables and chicken, with only a couple of pieces of pineapple.  The sauce was indeed well balanced between sweet and sour.  It cost 80 baht.

IMG_0140.jpg.ae12808b8fc0ee945a88578519b

IMG_0144.jpg.abd9f6aa2905ce6d96367da1538

I won't be hesitant to try the chicken with cashews at So's!

Evil

Looks great, especially that omlette.

Does everything look appropriately hygienic? (It looks a bit of a road side restaurant)

Edited by taylor1975

Based on Evil’s review my mates and I tried So’s place the first night we where in town and we very happy with the food, so much so we ate there 4 out of the next 7 nights. 

Good food, very cheap, served by friendly staff and easy to get to from our hotel nearby.

My favourite was the laab moo, and my mates raved about the Tom Yum soup. 

7CA309E5-F8F2-411D-8A84-45E74667D12D.jpeg

Edited by Dr No
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

Looks great, especially that omlette.

Does everything look appropriately hygienic? (It looks a bit of a road side restaurant)

Yes, it is hygienic.  As I stated in the OP, So's Place isn't fancy, but it's very clean.

Evil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reviews and the photos, I'll give it a go next time I'm in town.

At Areca in August and thanks for this, looks just what I like

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, Dr No said:

Based on Evil’s review my mates and I tried So’s place the first night we where in town and we very happy with the food, so much so we ate there 4 out of the next 7 nights. 

Good food, very cheap, served by friendly staff and easy to get to from our hotel nearby.

My favourite was the laab moo, and my mates raved about the Tom Yum soup. 

That's the highest praise a customer can give any establishment: to return.  I'm happy you and your friends enjoyed the meals at So's.

Evil

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to trying this place out soon.

Last year I regularly ate at Bites ( now closed ). White Pines ( new cook ) &  Spaghetti Bistrot ( new owners).

Thanks for the detailed review Evil.

At Evil's recommendation i visited today and can confirm in was delicious. 2 dishes, rice and a coke and it was under 200bt

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

That's the highest praise a customer can give any establishment: to return.  I'm happy you and your friends enjoyed the meals at So's.

Evil

Cheers, will be back again later this year and So’s will be getting more business from me. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 03:05, Evil Penevil said:

IMG_0134.jpg

So's Place Restaurant & Bar is a small family-owned establishment on Soi 15 across the street from The Avenue shopping plaza.  It serves standard Thai dishes at low prices, with only a couple of Western dishes on the menu.

The food is excellent and the service is very friendly. There's nothing fancy about So's Place, but it's cheap and cheerful, which is exactly what many tourists and long-term residents are looking for in a neighborhood eatery.  It's open daily between noon and midnight, with last orders for food taken at 11.00 p.m.

So's has been in business for a few years and has built a loyal following.  It recently expanded, taking over a beer bar next door and knocking down the wall between them.  This is what it looked like before the expansion:

IMG_0136.jpg

And now:

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

Most of the dishes at So's run between 80 and 120 baht.  It's home-style Thai cooking by a lady who knows what she's doing.

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

The portions aren't huge, but they are certainly adequate.  My favorite is  the minced pork with holy basil.

IMG_0083.jpg

It costs 80 baht, with an egg atop the rice an extra 15 baht.

IMG_0082.jpg

The waitresses at So's ask each diner whether he or she wants the dish spicy. One nice is that diners get a cold towel before the meal.

The dishes on the menu at So's will be familiar to anyone who enjoys Thai food.  I'll include more pics in the next post.

As I mentioned,  So's mainly serves Thai food, but on Saturdays it offers a U.S.-style smoked pork rib dinner for 299 baht.  

04.jpg.c8afb8d8ac3b610aa3c4ca2c8b045894.jpg

I'll write about the rib dinner in the "Under 300 Baht ...And Good" thread. It's available on Saturdays beginning at 6.30 p.m.

On Mondays,  So's has live music, a band which performs classic U.S. rock 'n roll. 

IMG_0090.jpg.e471c80317a816332d6ff7068d001daf.jpg

I was surprised to hear them do,  "Willie and the Hand Jive," one Monday as I walked past.  I thought they sounded quite good and I enjoy classic r 'n r, but they were just too loud for me.  My ears hurt from across the street; no way was I getting any closer.

IMG_0091.jpg.00529f8aff7ac3a642b717ef626e7a7c.jpg

Bottom line:  If you want good Thai food at a low price, So's is an excellent choice. I should add that I eat frequently at So's, but not only on the basis of the food.  It's a very convenient location for me.

Evil
:devil

Thank you sir.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So's place with the blue sign avoided the wrecking ball which was busy to the right hand side of this pic....................

5b21c485697ab_13june011(Custom).JPG.04cca61ec8b8319e1fcef09805352362.JPG

5b21c49c59d55_13june006(Custom).JPG.9a3fdf9e3ddf565483d4d615a4b39241.JPG

5b21c4b5c3f2a_13june007(Custom).JPG.ec0c4145f00bc1890b840bd524a2c345.JPG

Based on all I have heard and read about So's I will be stopping hopefully a few times on next trip. Cheap and authentic are trigger words for me :)