IGNORED

new law for hiring a motorbike. please explain

i_love_3somes

hi mates

was there last month and dint hire a bike as i dint have my idp with me as well as too many check point all over pattaya.

now i read of some fb page that no bike will be given without proper license. or the bike will be seized

now as will be flying back next month , what i need to know is do i need an idp with my home license . or i must have a THAI license too??

some details please

License requirements haven't changed only the penalties if you get stopped and don't have the correct license.

The fine will be more but more importantly they confiscate the bike. The owner will have to go retrieve it and pay another fine.

Home country license and IDP is still OK but they must be valid for motorcycles.

I rent a car on each of my 4 trips each year.

Every year I renew my IDP in the US. The IDP renewal (AAA) needs a copy of my local driver license with the application. My local driver license is both for car and motorcycle.

When I rent a car or the rare time I rented a motorbike, the rental place needed a copy of my IDP and my passport to complete the rental.

IMHO the reason for the new imposed penalties/crackdowns  is because most of the people renting motorbikes, don't have the IDP that includes motorbike on it.

On each of my side trips I go thru several check points, most of the time I just waved on, but when stopped, they ask to see passport and license/IDP. Show it to them along with the rental papers and I'm on my way.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

12 hours ago, LeoTex said:

I rent a car on each of my 4 trips each year.

Every year I renew my IDP in the US. The IDP renewal (AAA) needs a copy of my local driver license with the application. My local driver license is both for car and motorcycle.

When I rent a car or the rare time I rented a motorbike, the rental place needed a copy of my IDP and my passport to complete the rental.

IMHO the reason for the new imposed penalties/crackdowns  is because most of the people renting motorbikes, don't have the IDP that includes motorbike on it.

On each of my side trips I go thru several check points, most of the time I just waved on, but when stopped, they ask to see passport and license/IDP. Show it to them along with the rental papers and I'm on my way.

LeoTex

so i my clarify to the agent doing my idp in my country its only for motorcycle??

or can i get both?

9 minutes ago, i_love_3somes said:

so i my clarify to the agent doing my idp in my country its only for motorcycle??

or can i get both?

The IDP is nothing more than a standard translation of your home country driver's license. No need to clarify anything as it should always indicate the categories your licence is valid for. 

one last question..

i never take out the bike when im gonna drink even one beer. what i want to know that what if i partied hard last nite then next day in the evening take the bike out and incase stopped for the breath analyzer test , will the alcohol show?

will that be a problem?

4 minutes ago, i_love_3somes said:

one last question..

i never take out the bike when im gonna drink even one beer. what i want to know that what if i partied hard last nite then next day in the evening take the bike out and incase stopped for the breath analyzer test , will the alcohol show?

will that be a problem?

Depends on how much you drink the night before and how fast an individual metabolises the booze. You can buy a pack of self checking breathliser sticks.  I have them in the car and in some of Europe, its the law that you must carry some in the car.  

one last question..
 will that be a problem?
Same as your home country

23 minutes ago, i_love_3somes said:

one last question..

will that be a problem?

In the morning, it's probable that you would fail. By evening it should be OK.

The IDP is valid for the same vehicles that your home licence covers. This will be shown on both your licence and endorsed on the IDP.
So if you aren't entitled to drive a motor bike at home your IDP won't cover it either.
There has been now law change. Just a threat of increased penalties for both riders and those who rent the bikes out. 
I wonder if anyone has evidence of this being enforced yet?

I was stopped in the afternoon at a check point on Third Road last month and had to produce my IDP. The BIB knew what they were looking for. That the BIB will hold the bike and fine the rental company is new. 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

The new 1000 bahts fine is not the most important part of that new law.
Now the bike will be sized and the owner will have to prove that his customer showed him an international/thai driving licence A or he will be fined 20,000 bahts.

thanks guys

27 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

// Now the bike will be sized and the owner will have to prove that his customer showed him an international/thai driving licence A or he will be fined 20,000 bahts.

No and No. ;)

What they must show is an international Driving Permit (with A category for bikes),

and the fine for renters is 2'000 baht, not 20'000 baht... :rolleyes:

@oukiva you're right 2,000 bahts for the owner

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1037485-pattaya-police-get-tough-on-licences-fines-for-tourists-and-rental-companies-and-confiscation-of-vehicle/

Tourists must now have an international licence, their passport and home country driving licence when renting a vehicle in Pattaya. They must carry their documents with them to show to the police if stopped. 

Anyway even if the fine is "only" 2,000 bahts, now the owners wont rent their bikes to people who dont have an international/thai driving licence A. That's the big difference, before they only asked for a passport.

I imagine the police are loving these changes. I've been stopped 11 times the last few months, half of which were most likely illegal checkpoints, these guys will just try and get more tea money

48 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

@oukiva you're right 2,000 bahts for the owner

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1037485-pattaya-police-get-tough-on-licences-fines-for-tourists-and-rental-companies-and-confiscation-of-vehicle/

Anyway even if the fine is "only" 2,000 bahts, now the owners wont rent their bikes to people who dont have an international/thai driving licence A. That's the big difference, before they only asked for a passport.

Or they could keep doing business the same but require a deposit large enough to cover their costs in case the bike is confiscated. 

9 hours ago, i_love_3somes said:

or can i get both?

When I get my one  IDP renewed in the US each, it is for both motorcycle (motorbike) and automobile.

I get the car/motorbike rental place the IDP and my passport. He makes a copy to keep for his record and give me back my originals.

My US/Texas drivers license is for both motorcycle and auto and it along with my drivers license allows me to drive legally in Thailand.

Like I stated, when stopped at a roadblock or check point, they sometimes just ask to see my rental papers, IDP and passport.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

some where else i got a reply saying they need it translated in thai . now how can one get that??

14 minutes ago, i_love_3somes said:

some where else i got a reply saying they need it translated in thai . now how can one get that??

Doesn't need to be translated.

LeoTex

thanks again guys

Archived