IGNORED

Driving in Thailand.

n0n4m3

Hello, as I am going soon to Thailand, I want to make sure what kind of licence do I need to drive in Thailand.

I got UK cat. B licence, do I need to get International Driving Licence?

Can I drive Scooters, bikes up to 125cc? cuz in UK I can.

Do you guys drive there, do you rent a vehicles? cuz I know traffic there is crazy sometimes? I think in Bkk always :P

whats the trafic situation on motorways? and roads outside towns? if u want to go for a ride see some land :P

do they accept International Driving Licence? (UK or PL)?

whats the speed limits in Thailand ?

ok what i manage to find out is this, as I am UK resident I can say only about UK, if you know how it works for your country, please post it here.

Thank You

--------------------------------

Driving in other countries on a GB licence

If you intend driving when visiting or moving to another country, it is important that you understand what is required of you. As a visitor to another country you will need your Great Britain (GB) driving licence. An International Driving Permit (IDP) is also required in certain countries.

Make sure:

the details on your driving licence are up to date

you take your driving licence with you

Visiting another country

You may use your GB licence for driving in other European Community/European Economic Area [EC/EEA] member states. However, you should note that whilst the minimum age for driving a car in GB is 17 individual member states may apply their own age restrictions for entitlements. The member states are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden. Check with a motoring organisation if you want to drive in a non-EC/EEA country. They will advise you whether you need an International Driving Permit.

What is an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

An IDP is a formal document issued to visitors to another country which translates details of a driving licence into several languages, enabling foreign authorities to interpret the driving entitlements held, their validity periods and the identity of the holder. They are issued by the Automobile Association (The AA), Royal Automobile Club (RAC), RSAC and Green Flag Motoring Assistance Recovery Club.

To get an IDP, you must be resident in GB, have passed a driving test and be over 18 years of age. The fee for a permit is £5.50.

Any enquiries about IDPs eg 'How to apply?' should be directed to one of the motoring organisations listed above.

Moving to another country

If you move to another country, you should check with the driving licence authorities there for information about driving and exchange of licences. It will not be a requirement to notify DVLA of a change of address when moving to live abroad.

Returning to GB

If you return to GB from a non-EC/EEA country and are not in possession of a GB licence, you may:

drive for up to 12 months on your foreign licence

apply for a duplicate of your GB licence on payment on payment of a fee

FAQ:

DRIVING ABROAD

Q: What do I need to know if I intend to drive abroad?

A: If you are going overseas and intend to drive you need to find out about the driving laws, licence requirements and driving conditions specific to the country you are visiting. You may need to take an International Driving Permit.

Q: What is an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

A: An IDP identifies you as a legally licensed driver and, when accompanied by a valid UK driving licence, allows you to drive a private motor vehicle abroad. The IDP is recognised around the world and is printed in 10 languages, including English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, German, and Arabic.

Q: Who should take an IDP?

A: Anyone who intends to drive overseas should consider taking an IDP. You must always take your UK driving licence abroad with you to be presented alongside your IDP, if requested (it is illegal in all countries to drive a vehicle without a valid driving licence, and where required an IDP).

The IDP can overcome any difficulties related to differing licensing requirements that you may encounter. It is also a useful precautionary measure to take even if not required (some countries recognise UK driving licences). You are likely to need the IDP if you are travelling outside the European Union.

If you are going to a country for an extended period of time or for any reason other than tourism you should check what the licence requirements are before you rely on an IDP.

Q: How do I apply for an IDP?

A: You must apply for your IDP before you leave the UK. You cannot do this once you are abroad. The UK Issuing authorities are the AA, the RAC, and certain branches of the Post Office.

When you apply make sure your driving licence is up to date. You must hold a full UK Driving Licence or UK Pass Certificate; be resident in the UK; and be at least 18 years old.

The IDP is valid for 1 year from date of issue, and can be post-dated by up to three months so that it is valid from your date of departure. It is important to check the accuracy of the personal information on your IDP before travelling abroad, as only the issuing authority can rectify errors. An IDP issued in the UK is not valid for use in the UK.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

International Driving Permit

UK visitors wishing to drive in certain countries require an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to a full UK Driving Licence.

An International Driving Permit is internationally recognised and normally allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle without additional formality.

RAC is authorised to issue both 1949 and 1926 Convention International Driving Permits to eligible applicants.

An IDP cannot be issued more than three months in advance. An IDP cannot be issued retrospectively.

The IDP IDP application form is available for you to download and print out. Please read through the following information to find out whether you will need to take an IDP with you when you travel. An IDP is valid for 1 year and can only be issued to applicants who:

Hold a full UK Driving Licence (not provisional) covering the type of vehicle for which the IDP is required

Are permanently resident in the UK

Are at least 18 years of age

Please note that an IDP cannot be issued to holders of foreign driving licences, except holders of EU driving licences who are resident in Great Britain.

Holders of driving licences issued in Guernsey/Jersey/Isle of Man must apply to the relevant licensing authority for an IDP:

Guernsey: States Traffic Committee, 01481 243 400

Jersey: Driver and Vehicle Standards Department, 01534 833 244

Isle of Man: Vehicle Licensing Office, 01624 685 600

You should take your UK Driving Licence with you when driving abroad, even if you hold an IDP. You will need to present it when hiring a car and may require it to show the authorities.

Please check your UK Driving Licence is correct in all respects. Any errors/changes in personal details, including change of address, must be notified to the DVLA in Swansea, or DVLNI in Coleraine for licences issued in Northern Ireland.

International Driving Permit - Where do I need an IDP?

Please look carefully at the following list of countries where an IDP is required and the special conditions below.

An IDP is required in the following countries:

Afghanistan Egypt Pakistan

Albania Equatorial Guinea Philippines

Algeria Guinea Russia

Angola Haiti Rwanda

Argentina India Senegal

Armenia Indonesia Somalia

Benin Iran Surinam

Bhutan Iraq Swaziland

Cayman Isles Japan Syria

Central African Rep Kampuchea Taiwan

Chad Korea (South) Thailand

Colombia Kuwait * Ukraine

Comoros Leeward Islands ** United Arab Emirates

Ivory Coast Macao Vietnam

Curacao Nigeria Zaire

If you plan to drive in any of the following countries please contact the embassy or consulate for details of driving licence requirements in Brazil, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan.

* Please see special conditions

** Leeward Islands are Antigua, Dominica, Montserrat, St. Christopher, Nevis and Anguilla.

In Bermuda visitors are not allowed to drive. In Ethiopia an IDP is not recognised but a temporary licence is available from the local authority on presentation of a valid UK licence. In China a temporary driving permit must be obtained on arrival.

Please complete the IDP form in full and send to the address below. Ensure that you include the following:

The correct fee (£5.50 for one IDP or £11 for two)

Recent passport size photograph(s) signed on the back

A photocopy (not the original) of your complete UK Driving Licence

A photocopy of the page from your passport showing your photograph and identification details

If you cannot send a photocopy of your UK Driving Licence or complete details on the application because the original is lost or with the DVLA for re-issue etc, you should contact the DVLA. If they are unable to send your licence in time you can give your permission for the DVLA to release your relevant driver information to us in order to issue an IDP. Under Data Protection regulations the DVLA will not give us your details without permission. The DVLA telephone number to call is 0870 240 0009. Please note, however, there may be delays in getting through at busy times and we cannot accept responsibility if such delays prevent us issuing an IDP in time.

Note: An IDP cannot be issued to a holder of a Provisional United Kingdom Licence unless they also present their valid certificate of competence to drive.

A photocopy should be sent with postal applications, not the original certificate.

Send to

RAC Motoring Services

Travel Administration

PO Box 1500

Bristol

BS99 2LH

Please allow up to ten days from the date of posting to receipt of your IDP which will be sent first class mail. Special delivery can be arranged at an additional charge of £4 if you require your IDP within two days. Please include the special delivery charge with your IDP fee if you require this service.

Download form: International Driving Licence form. (for UK residents)

(25KB) If you experience difficulties in printing this application please call our Travel Sales team on 0800 55 00 55 for assistance.

Opening hours

Monday - Friday 8.00 am to 9.00 pm

Saturday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm

Sunday 10.00 am to 4.00 pm

Please note: to view the form, you will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don't have this program installed already, you can download one by clicking on the link below.

ADOBE Reader

Hope this will help stay away from Thai cops :) and waiting for your sugestions and answers for my questions, about driveing mopeds on UK B cat licence. in thailand.

Thank You

Edited by n0n4m3

www.Pattaya-Thai.com - Pattaya, Thailand News and Social Network.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I rent motorbike (scooters) but don't bother with a licence. Never been stopped before but know people that have. A few hundred baht to the BIB and your on your way..

DO NOT let the police start writing the ticket. If they write the ticket you will have to go to the police station and pay the fine before you can have your bike back.

All the info you need about how to drive legally can be found here: http://driving.information.in.th/

Double Gold Medalist. 2006 Mongering Olympics

I rent motorbike (scooters) but don't bother with a licence. Never been stopped before but know people that have. A few hundred baht to the BIB and your on your way..

DO NOT let the police start writing the ticket. If they write the ticket you will have to go to the police station and pay the fine before you can have your bike back.

All the info you need about how to drive legally can be found here: http://driving.information.in.th/

Its bad if u dont bother with a licence, cuz if u get accident or police stops you, they will make u problems, and I am afraid not many of them will take your money to get away with it.

You can read on this forum about guy who been stop by cops, driveing scooter, useing UK licence, and they told him he dont have licence for thailand, so they ask him to falow to station.

I want drive safe, stay away of the troubles :P thats why this topic ....

I think http://driving.information.in.th is for peoples liveing in thailand, and for getting thai licence mate :P

cheers

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

and I am afraid not many of them will take your money

Thats one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. The Thai police Force is corrupt like you wouldn't believe..

Thats one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. The Thai police Force is corrupt like you wouldn't believe..

may b, but they didnt take any £££ from my friend, for driveing without helmet on bike, (whats more funny, theres everyone else driveing the same, but this was not an excuse) instead take to the police station give ticket and wanted to charge for offering £££, he spend 4 hours in station, get ticket, and spare stress

Edited by n0n4m3

If he's driving about without a helmet on he's asking to be stopped IMO. Could've saved himself all the grief by simply wearing his helmet!!!

If he's driving about without a helmet on he's asking to be stopped IMO. Could've saved himself all the grief by simply wearing his helmet!!!

but in thailand it is common to drive without it, isn't it ?

but in thailand it is common to drive without it, isn't it ?

Yeah, its common. But you are supposed to wear a helmet by law. If you choose not too, you are making yourself a target for the BIB. Don't give them an excuse to stop you.

• 2 weeks later...

As said, you can get away with it and you may have to hand out some 'fines' to the police but better to get the international licence. You'll need the motorcycle box to be ticked, mind you, and provisional status isn't enough. The UK's small bike provision is acceptable to ride any sized bike in Thailand.

Please complete the IDP form in full and send to the address below. Ensure that you include the following:

The correct fee (£5.50 for one IDP or £11 for two)

Recent passport size photograph(s) signed on the back

A photocopy (not the original) of your complete UK Driving Licence

A photocopy of the page from your passport showing your photograph and identification details

• 2 weeks later...

easy way

get it on post office thats what i did

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/cont...;catId=19300212