IGNORED

Robin Hood.

2 hours ago, Syd Tybil said:

I overheard the owner of Sportsman say that more than a few customers would not eat all day and then come in and eat plate after plate of food at the Friday pizza pasta buffet and then balk at having to buy a drink, fwiw.

I think its a bit rich for a guy running an all you can eat buffet to complain about customers eating plate after plate of food.  And if we're talking about the same owner/manager at Sportsman, he's not a small chap himself.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to really enjoy robin hood's Sunday ayce buffet but this was when retox still ran the place

Say what you will about the places but pattaya much better than Bangkok where don't have much British type pub type food...the main bars along lower suk are generally poor for food

On 8/5/2018 at 00:35, Syd Tybil said:

I overheard the owner of Sportsman say that more than a few customers would not eat all day and then come in and eat plate after plate of food at the Friday pizza pasta buffet and then balk at having to buy a drink, fwiw.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

There are always a few crass fuckwits that want to 'beat the place' and come out a winner at the the buffet. 

I would never make it in the restaurant business since these cheapskates would probably be blasting me on TripAdvisor for being rude. LOL

Here is one of my all time favorite movie scenes. Clark & Cousin Eddy at the buffet in Las Vegas. 

10 hours ago, jiz said:

There are always a few crass fuckwits that want to 'beat the place' and come out a winner at the the buffet. 

I would never make it in the restaurant business since these cheapskates would probably be blasting me on TripAdvisor for being rude. LOL

Here is one of my all time favorite movie scenes. Clark & Cousin Eddy at the buffet in Las Vegas. 

Surely an all you can eat buffet is just that!   Don`t understand why anyone should complain if the customer sticks to whatever rules apply in that establishment.  The deal is you pay your money and eat what you want.   If people take more than they can eat and waste food then I think that is very wrong but eat what you want OK.   When I go for buffet lunch I don`t eat breakfast but then when I am in Pattaya I only eat twice a day anyway. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

As far as I'm concerned The Sportsman has a rule that you must buy a drink with your buffet.  Fair enough, if that's their rule I'll stick with it since I hope to return.  But if there isn't such an explicit rule I don't see anything wrong with having the buffet AYCE and no drink, that would be within the rules so no problem.  

If there are any buffet restaurants out there that have a problem with people eating but not drinking, the solution is for them to have a sign up with an explicit rule that you must drink, like The Sportsman.  I have no problem with such a formal rule existing, but it would make me slightly less likely to go to such a place.

As far as I'm concerned The Sportsman has a rule that you must buy a drink with your buffet.  Fair enough, if that's their rule I'll stick with it since I hope to return.  But if there isn't such an explicit rule I don't see anything wrong with having the buffet AYCE and no drink, that would be within the rules so no problem.  
If there are any buffet restaurants out there that have a problem with people eating but not drinking, the solution is for them to have a sign up with an explicit rule that you must drink, like The Sportsman.  I have no problem with such a formal rule existing, but it would make me slightly less likely to go to such a place.
I generally prefer Thai food but i like farang food once every day or two, i used to go to Pitini but their drink prices are just a bit taking the piss so i stopped buying drinks, no big deal i drink water all day anyway. But their waitress tip nazis bored me so i stop going. I've found a place with better food and better prices, you shouldn't have to buy a drink if you don't want one. As a tourist most won't care

How you can enjoy a meal while suffering through it without a drink is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Scuba+ said:

But their waitress tip nazis

There is one waitress in there about 40 years old and a bit plump who is a right c@nt 

when it comes to tipping.

How you can enjoy a meal while suffering through it without a drink is beyond me.
I would agree if i was suffering but I'm not, i don't actually want a drink, its just a habit to have one. Some people struggle to swallow without i know

I'm drinking huge amounts in Pattaya anyway.  As well as drinking in bars in the evening, I had this lot delivered to my condo on my last trip on my first day in town (as well as more later).  Dehydration isn't good, but it's not a problem I have.  I don't particularly need to drink in restaurants at marked up prices.

DSCN0500.thumb.JPG.bbc2a9942093aed472b5591c33482cdf.JPG

Who did you use for delivery? I have heard that maybe Big C and Tesco both have an app for delivery but I haven't downloaded them yet. I may have that wrong though.

I would sure like to make an order similar to that as soon as I hit town in November instead of lugging large amounts of water to my condo.

I'm drinking huge amounts in Pattaya anyway.  As well as drinking in bars in the evening, I had this lot delivered to my condo on my last trip on my first day in town (as well as more later).  Dehydration isn't good, but it's not a problem I have.  I don't particularly need to drink in restaurants at marked up prices.
DSCN0500.thumb.JPG.bbc2a9942093aed472b5591c33482cdf.JPG

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I tried pitini last trip after reading reviews here. I was quite happy eating there, nice meals, reasonable. Waitresses and service were good. I always leave a tip for good service. And I don't usually order a drink while eating, plenty of time for that after dinner.

3 hours ago, SirL said:

I'm drinking huge amounts in Pattaya anyway.  As well as drinking in bars in the evening, I had this lot delivered to my condo on my last trip on my first day in town (as well as more later).

Rather than buy those rather expensive smaller bottles, you can get these 20lit ones delivered. I pay 40B each. There is a deposit to pay for the first bottle (200B) but after than you just need to phone them and they come out, usually the same day or next day. They remember your number and address so you dont need to explain anything. You dont need a dispensing machine/fridge if you dont want one as they make small plastic hand pumps for them. I have two of these bottles and change both when the second is empty.

The opaque containers they also do seem to be for a lower quality of water, but they are cheaper than the clear blue ones. I only get the blue ones.

water01.jpg

8 hours ago, smithzac91 said:

Who did you use for delivery? I have heard that maybe Big C and Tesco both have an app for delivery but I haven't downloaded them yet. I may have that wrong though.

I used the TescoLotus website, which was free for me but maybe has a 30B delivery charge now(???).  Highly recommended, I'll certainly use them again.

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Rather than buy those rather expensive smaller bottles, you can get these 20lit ones delivered. I pay 40B each.

Where from please?  This seems a bit of a permanent expat solution, but it's worth a thought.  How do you get the deposit back when your last bottle is due to be returned (surely they won't come out to pick it up and give you 200B?) - this is relevant to non-permanent visitors for whom their stay is measured in weeks.

There's actually surprisingly little difference in the per litre cost between the biggest bottles and the small ones.  Some difference, yes, but not huge.  I sometimes like the small ones because I can take them in my pocket and drink them when out and about (such as when on my way to a restaurant!)

8 hours ago, SirL said:

Where from please?  This seems a bit of a permanent expat solution, but it's worth a thought.  How do you get the deposit back when your last bottle is due to be returned (surely they won't come out to pick it up and give you 200B?) - this is relevant to non-permanent visitors for whom their stay is measured in weeks.

There's actually surprisingly little difference in the per litre cost between the biggest bottles and the small ones.  Some difference, yes, but not huge.  I sometimes like the small ones because I can take them in my pocket and drink them when out and about (such as when on my way to a restaurant!)

You see the trucks driving around all over the place, and I expect that they all visit most condo buildings quite often. If you ask at the front office they will probably know which ones come to yours. Personally I dont know where the actual depots are: I have only ever dealt with them by phone.

Yes, it is more suitable as a long-term arrangement and it probably wouldn't work short-term.

I also keep a few smaller bottles which I just refill from my big bottle, as needed.

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I also keep a few smaller bottles which I just refill from my big bottle, as needed.

Fair enough.  In the context of us discussing whether to drink (or be forced by a house rule to drink) marked-up drinks in a restaurant, it's true that little bottles cost a bit more per litre than the big ones (not all that much more!) but they certainly cost a lot less than restaurant drinks.  CCs like me might take a little bottle of water to drink on the baht bus on the way to lunch, and we ditch the bottle just outside the restaurant door.

Most places i go, its usually 40-55b for a coke light. I don't think thats unreasonable to pay ...is it a lot more in other places??

Most places i go, its usually 40-55b for a coke light. I don't think thats unreasonable to pay ...is it a lot more in other places??

For a restaurant thats a bit steep, should be 20-30. Some farang places take the piss

Yesterday in a restaurant in Sakon Nakhon we ordered B-B-Q fish but they only had large ones left, we ordered anyway.  Same with drinks, no small bottles so we ordered large bottle of coke.  Only ate half the fish but they wrapped the other half up for us to take away and they added small bags of sauce and the left over veg, we also took the half empty bottle of coke, does that make us cheap charlies or is it just being sensible?

Yesterday in a restaurant in Sakon Nakhon we ordered B-B-Q fish but they only had large ones left, we ordered anyway.  Same with drinks, no small bottles so we ordered large bottle of coke.  Only ate half the fish but they wrapped the other half up for us to take away and they added small bags of sauce and the left over veg, we also took the half empty bottle of coke, does that make us cheap charlies or is it just being sensible?
I think that's normal practice (doggy bags) in the US? so if they approve you must be sensible

2 hours ago, udontony said:

Nothing to be ashamed of taking a doggy bag home....unless of course it's a buffet.

Although at the buffet if you can pack your cheeks with enough food for tomorrows lunch, I'd say thats fair. LOL

2 hours ago, udontony said:

Sensible. 

Why would one discard good food that you've paid for, that people have  labored to produce? 

I was raised to believe that wasting food is disrespectful to those who go without. I practice that philosophy to this day. 

Given the current and potential ravages of global warming (yes, I know...global warming is a myth...duh), we might all appreciate having enough to eat...for now. I heard on the radio today that something like 3000 dead fish had been removed from a major European river (the Danube?) resulting from water temperature increase and low water levels. 

An online news source I read a few days ago predicted air temperatures along portions of the Colorado River in the US to reach 120 degrees Fahrenheit this week. A friend reports "smoke in the air" from fires in British Columbia 300 miles away. Damn!

H*ll I'd enjoy life now. Grab those left overs. ;)

21 hours ago, Scuba+ said:
23 hours ago, udontony said:

I think that's normal practice (doggy bags) in the US? so if they approve you must be sensible

Not only did they approve but this was their idea, they also packed extra sauce etc for us.

21 hours ago, jiz said:

Nothing to be ashamed of taking a doggy bag home....unless of course it's a buffet.

Although at the buffet if you can pack your cheeks with enough food for tomorrows lunch, I'd say thats fair. LOL

Would never have dreamed of this at a buffet!

21 hours ago, CyberPro said:

Sensible. 

Why would one discard good food that you've paid for, that people have  labored to produce? 

I was raised to believe that wasting food is disrespectful to those who go without. I practice that philosophy to this day. 

Given the current and potential ravages of global warming (yes, I know...global warming is a myth...duh), we might all appreciate having enough to eat...for now. I heard on the radio today that something like 3000 dead fish had been removed from a major European river (the Danube?) resulting from water temperature increase and low water levels. 

An online news source I read a few days ago predicted air temperatures along portions of the Colorado River in the US to reach 120 degrees Fahrenheit this week. A friend reports "smoke in the air" from fires in British Columbia 300 miles away. Damn!

H*ll I'd enjoy life now. Grab those left overs. ;)

I was raised the same way and hate to see food wasted. Taking food home had little to do with the money, the food was very cheap in the first place, it was all about not wasting food.  Global warming could just be a massive disaster for the world but politicians etc seem to think everything is OK.   Maybe it is but I doubt if our children will think the same in years to come.

On 09/08/2018 at 11:55, udontony said:

Only ate half the fish but they wrapped the other half up for us to take away and they added small bags of sauce and the left over veg, we also took the half empty bottle of coke, does that make us cheap charlies or is it just being sensible?

Standard practice everywhere in Thailand. Personally I do it all over the world.

Archived