Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Buying a printer in Pattaya

kevin2013

After only 14 months, my all in one Canon printer starts eating paper - take it back to shop (Inkman in Tukcom) and "cannot fix...cannot get spare part anywhere"

WTF! This is Canon!

OK, so assuming I have to buy again, where should I buy?.....Powerbuy in Central? Another printer shop in Tukcom?

Any particular brand is better/more reliable than the other?

Just for home use, a few pages a day, nothing sophisticated, wireless, all in one

Hey mate,

Printers are consumables nowadays.... I had a Canon photo printer from Tukcom, homemade refillable tanks... Worked well for a while but after taking it back a couple of times I gave up and bought a new one...

This time a Brother all in one with integrated refillable tanks form the manufacturer... I have printed 100's of A4 size photos and (touchwood) has not missed a beat. However, the inks are not UV rated it would seem so the photos tend to fade after a period of time... I have got around this via laminating, but that is not for everyone... If you are not printing much try one of the new integrated tank models. 

I got all mine from Tukcom, I don't think it will matter where you get it from, warranty over here is dodgy at best... 

BTW, I have yet to successfully get the wireless working, had no problem with the Canon wireless.. 

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

2 hours ago, Atlas said:

Hey mate,

Printers are consumables nowadays.... I had a Canon photo printer from Tukcom, homemade refillable tanks... Worked well for a while but after taking it back a couple of times I gave up and bought a new one...

This time a Brother all in one with integrated refillable tanks form the manufacturer... I have printed 100's of A4 size photos and (touchwood) has not missed a beat. However, the inks are not UV rated it would seem so the photos tend to fade after a period of time... I have got around this via laminating, but that is not for everyone... If you are not printing much try one of the new integrated tank models. 

I got all mine from Tukcom, I don't think it will matter where you get it from, warranty over here is dodgy at best... 

BTW, I have yet to successfully get the wireless working, had no problem with the Canon wireless.. 

I just got back from Tukcom......looks like they showed me the same Brother as you bought. Brother T510 for 5500 Bt

I don't need the photos stuff. Just simple printing, a few pages every few days.....but I do need Wireless. If that a machine problem, or a user problem :)

Perhaps someone could buy one for you outside Thailand and bring it in for you.

I have a Hewlett Packard printer which cost about $A40 (one thousand THB) new, about one year ago; my previous Canon started to drink ink, cheaper to replace than to repair. Prints by Wifi, scans and copies - that is all I need.

If you know someone in Oz, printers are regularly on special especially at the Post Office and at Officeworks shops. Maybe other countries too.

You would just need to change the plug on the electricity cable, connect it up and go.

Ink Jet printers as not worth repairing too expensive. Unless you are doing a fair bit of printing I would just use an internet shop to print. 

My Canon injet printer, scanner, copier etc died last week after 5 years. Bought the same model (Canon MG2570S) with an update from Big C Pattaya Klang at around 1860 bart. Good value. Cartidges are expensive at Big C. You can buy them cheaper at Tucsom or Harbour mall.

Canon cartridges  (2) for my MP230 are expensive; over 900 baht each so when they were empty. i decided to get tanks fitted for 800 baht (black: red: yellow and blue.). 

However I did not realise you still needed the cartridges and disposed of mine. Luckily I managed to get another two empty ones from a friend's Canon printer which he no longer wanted.. The 3 colours are fed into what was the 3-color cartridge.

I am still not sure whether the two cartridges have to be fully functional and still has some ink left, but I think so.

I am intrigued by the fact that the red and blue inks are almost black looking and the yellow looks bronze but it seems to work but the colours on the prints tend to fade

However i also have an Epson Printer with 4 separate cartridges so use that if i want a better quality print..

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

1 hour ago, anglesea said:

Cartidges are expensive at Big C. You can buy them cheaper at Tucsom or Harbour mall.

Inkjet cartridges are easy to refill at home.  Lots of places in Tukcom selling refill ink and you just need to buy a 3 or 5 cc syringe, 18g needle, cotton swabs, alcohol and some tape, google your cartridge model number + refill and you're set.

Apart from Powerbuy and IT City in Tukcom there are several smaller shops there that repair printers and fit tanks and they usually sell new ones at a bit less than the big two shops although they often have special offers on some printers..

Canon ink jet cartridges are, per fluid oz or ml, one of the most expensive materials on the planet. 

Screw 'em. Buy a cheap BW laser printer, runs for thousands of pages. Toner seems cheaper to refill than ink, and a damn sight faster and more reliable. 

• 1 month later...

I am considering buying an Epson All-in- one Inkjet printer with tanks, Model L360.

I want it for printing good quality photos (at  a reasonable price). Anyone got any experience of this printer.

Yeah a bw laser is the way to go. Correct that the printers themselves are loss leaders (sold below cost) because the consumables are marked up to hell and that’s where they make their money.  Def not worth fixing the printer just buy a new one. Brother stuff is pretty good. Especially if you do the trick where you put some black tape over the ink sensor so the light doesn’t come on or it stops wanting to print when there’s still 25% toner left in the cartridge. Google that if you want to know more, a tiny bit of tape will save you a lot of hassle. 

12 hours ago, Billyboy294 said:

I am considering buying an Epson All-in- one Inkjet printer with tanks, Model L360.

I want it for printing good quality photos (at  a reasonable price). Anyone got any experience of this printer.

I bought the L360 a little over a year ago from Lazada. Settled on this model for probably the same reason you're looking at it; reasonable price and it has bulk tanks to help keep the ink cost down.

I've used it on almost a daily basis with no problems. For my purposes, the print quality is good enough.

On 5/12/2018 at 20:53, Billyboy294 said:

Apart from Powerbuy and IT City in Tukcom there are several smaller shops there that repair printers and fit tanks and they usually sell new ones at a bit less than the big two shops although they often have special offers on some printers..

My experience with retrofitting a printer with bulk tanks has not been good. Ink delivery system developed air bubbles and the ink jets clogged in a relatively short time. Finally scrapped the printer and bought the L360.

18 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

My experience with retrofitting a printer with bulk tanks has not been good. Ink delivery system developed air bubbles and the ink jets clogged in a relatively short time. Finally scrapped the printer and bought the L360.

How was the quality of printing photos?

2 minutes ago, Billyboy294 said:

How was the quality of printing photos?

All my printing has been done on regular paper and is a mixture of text and pics. To my untrained eye the quality is fine. Since the quality is good on regular paper, I would think it would be even better on photo paper.

On 5/12/2018 at 20:44, Wolf Cat said:

Inkjet cartridges are easy to refill at home.  Lots of places in Tukcom selling refill ink and you just need to buy a 3 or 5 cc syringe, 18g needle, cotton swabs, alcohol and some tape, google your cartridge model number + refill and you're set.

I tried the refill ones and after a while they clogged up the works.

My Epson Cartridges (190) you cannot refill, or so the print shops in Tukcom tell me. My Canon ones  you can only refill 2 or possibly 3 times.

Why would you want to print photos on a shitty inkjet printer (inkjet is 1990s tech) instead of taking them on a USB or emailing them to a photo printing place and getting them to print it professionally on photo paper for ten cents? 

On 7/13/2018 at 18:56, nzwolfgang said:

Why would you want to print photos on a shitty inkjet printer (inkjet is 1990s tech) instead of taking them on a USB or emailing them to a photo printing place and getting them to print it professionally on photo paper for ten cents? 

Can't say i have noticed much difference in what my Epson printer with 4 cartridges produces and those I get done in a Kodak shop. In any case most of my best photos of Thai girls were taken in 2005 with a Sony W1 5 megapix point and shoot and more recently with a Sony RX100mk1 compact. So I don.t expect to have them published in a fashion magazine. I found if I gave the girls prints (especially in the days before they all had mobile phones) they would come back for more and sometimes bring their friends.

On 7/14/2018 at 23:48, Billyboy294 said:

Can't say i have noticed much difference in what my Epson printer with 4 cartridges produces and those I get done in a Kodak shop. In any case most of my best photos of Thai girls were taken in 2005 with a Sony W1 5 megapix point and shoot and more recently with a Sony RX100mk1 compact. So I don.t expect to have them published in a fashion magazine. I found if I gave the girls prints (especially in the days before they all had mobile phones) they would come back for more and sometimes bring their friends.

Actually some of my pics of Thai girls in Bikinis were included in a book about Pattaya published in Australia and some in two English magazines.

On 7/14/2018 at 23:48, Billyboy294 said:

11 hours ago, Billyboy294 said:

Actually some of my pics of Thai girls in Bikinis were included in a book about Pattaya published in Australia and some in two English magazines.

I looked out the book and it is " PATTAYA SNAPS - A Celebration of the Women of Pattaya"

by David Kuri and Duncan Stearn.

David was a photographer and it was mainly his photos and Duncan was the writer. Duncan knew I had photos from several Miss Bikini Contests and also a Miss Pattaya Contest so he asked me if these could be included.

The book was published in Australia but was on sale in Thailand. I had a SLR in those days.

Good thread. I am in the process of moving to Thailand. I was wondering about paying to ship my Cannon MG6400 to Thailand, but it is getting a little long in the tooth. Seems to make more sense to buy a replacement there. I do not print a lot, but it comes in handy for immigration forms etc. despite the high cartridge cost.

I would imagine that Cannon ships to Thailand at a reasonable cost.

Archived