railroadme

Using an old iphone as a hotspot?

railroadme

My main phone is an iPhone 6s, but I have an old iPhone 5 and both of these phones are factory unlocked.  I was planning just replacing the SIM in my primary phone while in Thailand, but it looks like when I do that I will loose the ability to get a lot of my iMessages, etc. once the phone registers the new SIM number.  I have traveled out of the US many times and typically just put it in airplane mode and use wifi and everything works great, but I am wanting the ability to use my phone on this trip without having to be connected to wifi.  The question I have has anyone ever used an old iPhone as a hotspot?  I was thinking of just getting a SIM for the old phone and using it some, but also connecting my primary phone to it via the hotspot option.  I don't like the idea of having two phones, but do like the idea of having access to everything on my primary phone.  Anyone have experience with this?  Thanks in advance....

misteregg

don't see a problem with this other than battery life and it becoming as hot as a brick

Woofiee
3 hours ago, misteregg said:

don't see a problem with this other than battery life and it becoming as hot as a brick

With the screen brightness down, an iPhone 5 will be cool enough - and surely it's plugged in. 

Sheesh - some people. Got to make a problem out of everything...

Wolf Cat

Lots of bars, hotels and restaurants have free wi-fi,  bring your i6 and stay in a hotel with free wi-fi,  find the bars offering free wi-fi, get their password and unless you need internet access 24/7 a few hours without won't kill you.

GreatThings

Not a problem. You can buy a 4 Mbps/6 Mbps/10 Mbps speed mobile data connection via SIM for the week for between 160 baht(US$5) and 215 baht(US$6.65) per seven days.

Come with more details if you want tailored advice.

railroadme
28 minutes ago, GreatThings said:

Not a problem. You can buy a 4 Mbps/6 Mbps/10 Mbps speed mobile data connection via SIM for the week for between 160 baht(US$5) and 215 baht(US$6.65) per seven days.

Come with more details if you want tailored advice.

Figuring a two week trip and my do a few FaceTime calls, social media, etc., but not going to be sitting around watching Netflix all day either.  Would love to be able to do that use my device so I have everything at hand, but to do it on AT&T with the day pass where I get my unlimited plan in LOS it's $10 a day, so I thought about just using my old device sometimes and also as a hot spot.  In a nutshell what's the best way to keep all functionality at the best price.

forqalso
3 minutes ago, railroadme said:

I have read this one, along with about 50 more.  My concern is that when I swap SIMs that I loose the functionality attached to my existing number such as the iMessage.  Am I overthinking this?

I think so. 

jennings
10 hours ago, railroadme said:

My main phone is an iPhone 6s, but I have an old iPhone 5 and both of these phones are factory unlocked.  I was planning just replacing the SIM in my primary phone while in Thailand, but it looks like when I do that I will loose the ability to get a lot of my iMessages, etc. once the phone registers the new SIM number.  I have traveled out of the US many times and typically just put it in airplane mode and use wifi and everything works great, but I am wanting the ability to use my phone on this trip without having to be connected to wifi.  The question I have has anyone ever used an old iPhone as a hotspot?  I was thinking of just getting a SIM for the old phone and using it some, but also connecting my primary phone to it via the hotspot option.  I don't like the idea of having two phones, but do like the idea of having access to everything on my primary phone.  Anyone have experience with this?  Thanks in advance....

My old 4s works as a hotspot. And most of the time my new iPhone is in the hotel safe. Text messages appear on both phones and my iPad. The reason I still use the 4s in Thailand is that I don’t have to change out the SIM card(possibly losing my At&T sim). 

Data packages are cheap. However I also only get a voice package.  And use the free hotel WiFi, and plenty of bars,restaurants, massage have free WiFi. Most of the bars I frequent the WiFi passwords are already locked into my phone.  

railroadme
5 minutes ago, jennings said:

My old 4s works as a hotspot. And most of the time my new iPhone is in the hotel safe. Text messages appear on both phones and my iPad. The reason I still use the 4s in Thailand is that I don’t have to change out the SIM card(possibly losing my At&T sim). 

Data packages are cheap. However I also only get a voice package.  And use the free hotel WiFi, and plenty of bars,restaurants, massage have free WiFi. Most of the bars I frequent the WiFi passwords are already locked into my phone.  

Do you have a Thailand SIM in your 4S?  If so how are you getting text messages on both phones if you only get the voice package/no data?  I definitely think I may be overthinking this and should just Thai SIM the 5 and like do keep the newer phone in the safe more time than not, but maybe get a data package.

jennings
43 minutes ago, railroadme said:

Do you have a Thailand SIM in your 4S?  If so how are you getting text messages on both phones if you only get the voice package/no data?  I definitely think I may be overthinking this and should just Thai SIM the 5 and like do keep the newer phone in the safe more time than not, but maybe get a data package.

Yes, I have a Thai Sim in the 4s. As long as I’m connected to WiFi I’m getting my text messages. I’m here at home and I also have no problems connecting with guys thru Facebook that are Thailand. I use to get the voice/data package. But I discovered all I really needed was the voice package. 

Edited by jennings

Woofiee
14 hours ago, railroadme said:

I have read this one, along with about 50 more.  My concern is that when I swap SIMs that I loose the functionality attached to my existing number such as the iMessage.  Am I overthinking this?

You shouldn't be worried. 

The functionality is attached to your iCloud account, not the phone number. The only thing the sim card holds is carrier settings. That said, just to make sure you are completely safe, backup your phone before you replace the sim (you can always use iCloud backup for this if you didn't do it earlier on your home computer). If anything goes wrong (and it shouldn't) you'll still have everything in your backup. When you add the new sim, you should still have access to your iCloud settings, and so all your messages and contacts.   

Edited by Woofiee
dropped a word

GreatThings
21 hours ago, railroadme said:

Figuring a two week trip and my do a few FaceTime calls, social media, etc., but not going to be sitting around watching Netflix all day either.  Would love to be able to do that use my device so I have everything at hand, but to do it on AT&T with the day pass where I get my unlimited plan in LOS it's $10 a day, so I thought about just using my old device sometimes and also as a hot spot.  In a nutshell what's the best way to keep all functionality at the best price.

4 Mbps unlimited package a US$5(160.5 baht) per week.

Any network's SIM 50 baht at the airport or outside shop etc. Ignore all attempts to up-sell you.

Turn off data, top up with a couple of hundred baht and then; 

tap in *777*7154# and then press the dial button  if you bought an AIS SIM

tap in *104*378*9# and then press the dial button  if you bought an DTAC SIM

tap in *900*1975# and then press the dial button  if you bought an TrueMove H SIM

All options will deduct 160.5 baht(US$5) from your balance. Once you get an SMS confirming that the package has been applied, turn data back on.

Now you can use data until your heart is content or for the week. :) Repeat once the package runs out.

My recommendation is for AIS, as the other two networks perform the dastardly trick of counting the day that you sign up until midnight as a whole day.

AIS gives you seven 24 hours periods, not seven calendar days as do the other two networks.

So US$10 for two weeks of unlimited data usage, instead of one day of usage.. 

railroadme
7 hours ago, GreatThings said:

4 Mbps unlimited package a US$5(160.5 baht) per week.

Any network's SIM 50 baht at the airport or outside shop etc. Ignore all attempts to up-sell you.

Turn off data, top up with a couple of hundred baht and then; 

tap in *777*7154# and then press the dial button  if you bought an AIS SIM

tap in *104*378*9# and then press the dial button  if you bought an DTAC SIM

tap in *900*1975# and then press the dial button  if you bought an TrueMove H SIM

All options will deduct 160.5 baht(US$5) from your balance. Once you get an SMS confirming that the package has been applied, turn data back on.

Now you can use data until your heart is content or for the week. :) Repeat once the package runs out.

My recommendation is for AIS, as the other two networks perform the dastardly trick of counting the day that you sign up until midnight as a whole day.

AIS gives you seven 24 hours periods, not seven calendar days as do the other two networks.

So US$10 for two weeks of unlimited data usage, instead of one day of usage.. 

Thanks for the detailed response - I'll definitely save this.  So I buy the 49B SIM at the airport, but nothing else?  How do I go about "topping up".  Traveled outside the country a lot, but never used another sim so definitely a big time noob when it comes to this.  Thanks again.

deano4598
2 hours ago, railroadme said:

Thanks for the detailed response - I'll definitely save this.  So I buy the 49B SIM at the airport, but nothing else?  How do I go about "topping up".  Traveled outside the country a lot, but never used another sim so definitely a big time noob when it comes to this.  Thanks again.

If it is a DTAC Happy tourist sim which I use, I go to any 7-11 or Family Mart (and there are very few Sois in Pattaya without at least one of these) and top up. I suspect other carriers will be same.

GreatThings
6 hours ago, railroadme said:

You can buy top up from the airport booth too, though they may try to claim there is a 300 baht minimum top-up. Either way, they can apply the credit to your phone and then you can apply the code or you can take the SIM and go to the Family Mart within the airport and get them to apply 200 baht for you there. Then to apply your code. make sure they/you have turned cellular data off so as not to waste your credit before applying the package.

Going to an AIS shop in Pattaya will get you a better range of SIM from which to choose; http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/simcard/en/

Problem at the airport is that they will have a limited range of SIM cards, possibly only Tourist SIM;  

AIS.JPG

misteregg
On 09/05/2018 at 23:05, Woofiee said:

With the screen brightness down, an iPhone 5 will be cool enough - and surely it's plugged in. 

Sheesh - some people. Got to make a problem out of everything...

The OP didn't say if it was plugged in or not. Basically the phone is acting as a transmitter and having worked a lot with those over the years I can assure you, they get hot. It's not designed to be a hot spot per se, it's supposed to be a phone so it does get hot if used as a hot spot for a long time. 

Sorry you felt I was being over the top. Hope the OP has a nice holiday.

Phil

Woofiee
12 hours ago, misteregg said:

The OP didn't say if it was plugged in or not. Basically the phone is acting as a transmitter and having worked a lot with those over the years I can assure you, they get hot. It's not designed to be a hot spot per se, it's supposed to be a phone so it does get hot if used as a hot spot for a long time. 

Sorry you felt I was being over the top. Hope the OP has a nice holiday.

Phil

We just have had different experiences - I've often used my old 5s as a hotspot, on and off the mains, but I turn the screen down and keep it out of direct sunlight and never had it get more than slightly warm, and since I'm using it only while I'm in the room it's not on forever (leaving a smartphone on the table in the room is begging to be stolen). Can be an issue with the model (5s has twice the usable ram) -- or just a case of YMMV. Either way, no drama here... although I did want to add those caveats. 

And yes, OP, have a fantastic holiday!