pangetongoy

Tourist sim. What alternatives we have?

taylor1975
48 minutes ago, cc7up said:

All the more reason for people to break their Addiction to Smart Phones.

'Choose Life'

We're not teenagers ...at the very least, i want to be contactable on holiday if there's a problem with my house, family, banking fraud etc. 

Potato83
2 hours ago, hioctane said:
3 hours ago, Potato83 said:
Last time i was in pattaya my phone couldn't use Thai SIM cards, only European cards. Does anyone else have that problem? 

Your phone needs to be unlocked.

Okay thank you. I guess I can do it in tukcom then. You know about how much that will cost ?

Scuba+
Okay thank you. I guess I can do it in tukcom then. You know about how much that will cost ?
You can ask your phone provider in the UK who you had the contract with, they can give you the unlock code. Failing that look online. Tukcom is a last resort for me, i wouldn't trust them to play around with my phone. Could be looking at files, anything

hetepatat
On 27-7-2018 at 10:04, hioctane said:
On 27-7-2018 at 09:13, Potato83 said:
Last time i was in pattaya my phone couldn't use Thai SIM cards, only European cards. Does anyone else have that problem? 

Your phone needs to be unlocked.

Or you are trying AIS with a simple 2G phone. That doesn't work because AIS has no 2G any more.
Only 3G and 4G.

Tukcom : my experience says it's a collected amount of independent small shops who, if you talk about a problem you have, immediately quote you a 2 or 3 times too high price for the matter.
Be awake and ready to talk them down fast.
If it's just a settings thing : just ask a girl who is not farm fresh. Better luck with her.
If you do long times, ask her and if she can't solve it (or her friends), take her to Tukcom yourself and let her do the explaining while you are rather far away :)

Edited by hetepatat

Potato83
On 7/27/2018 at 13:04, Scuba+ said:
On 7/27/2018 at 12:17, Potato83 said:

You can ask your phone provider in the UK who you had the contract with, they can give you the unlock code. Failing that look online. Tukcom is a last resort for me, i wouldn't trust them to play around with my phone. Could be looking at files, anything

okay thank you for the tip, im not staying in  the UK tho. But will ask my provider here in Norway. yeah its true about they can look at yr files and so on, so i will think about that if I cant fix my phone here.

Potato83
9 hours ago, hetepatat said:

Or you are trying AIS with a simple 2G phone. That doesn't work because AIS has no 2G any more.
Only 3G and 4G.

Tukcom : my experience says it's a collected amount of independent small shops who, if you talk about a problem you have, immediately quote you a 2 or 3 times too high price for the matter.
Be awake and ready to talk them down fast.
If it's just a settings thing : just ask a girl who is not farm fresh. Better luck with her.
If you do long times, ask her and if she can't solve it (or her friends), take her to Tukcom yourself and let her do the explaining while you are rather far away :)

No i have a Samsung s9 so that shouldnt be the issue. I remember there was a text on the box of the phone when I bought it said only for european use. I will ask my provider first, if they cant fix it i think I will follow yr advice.

hetepatat

Before, it was a problem sometimes too, that phones had different frequency abilities.
The phone from here couldn't work on all frequencies.
See the type number behind your battery. It looks a bit like 'I9105' which is an old model S4 mini.
Once you have that number , try to find out on Gsmarena.com what frequencies your phone can handle and if that includes the ones in Asia..  Maybe the problem lies there (it did before for some phones - don't know if that is still an issue). You would see different codes (model numbers) for different S9 phones then.

Thailand

2G capabilities

GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900

3G capabilities

UMTS 850, UMTS 900, UMTS 2100

4G capabilities

LTE 1800, LTE 2100, LTE 2300

Can be different from one provider to an other. No idea about the situation there. For example : AIS has no 2G at all any more.

If it would be just locked it will not say that it's only fit for Europe. Then it would be only fit for just one provider, .. the one that sold you the phone in combination with a sim card. That's a thing they can't solve at Tukcom. The only thing they could do is just sell you a new phone.

Edited by hetepatat