Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tum Laii - Isan restaurant in Pattaya

Someone was asking about Isan Restaurants, so I offered to put up a little info.

Tum Laii is about as close as I can come to the English like representation of this Thai Restaurant's name. The sign is in Thai and I could never find Tum Laion a Google search. It's approximate location is on the map below.

5ae16fdf891bd_TomLai-Map.thumb.jpg.fbf522717bf31ffdd7e2aa1f73db53bf.jpg

Here are pics of the front of the restaurant and the statue of Marilyn Monroe you see when you walk in the door.

5ae16fcd2734f_TomLai-0.thumb.JPG.060e8a279fe34eb502fbfce32a46c681.JPG

5ae16fddcba59_TomLai-1.thumb.JPG.7bca2f2301e3a3cb60af1779d7892c26.JPG

I thought the food was really good. As in many Isan restaurants you order a lot of different dishes and everybody shares them. They even ordered up a plate of chicken wings for the fussy Farang.

5ae1704128831_TomLai-2.thumb.JPG.018d652c2fd66f60cf0b391b9c5f7969.JPG

5ae1704d2f115_TomLai-3.thumb.JPG.075b921403ac4d8699e57afe165fcaaf.JPG

5ae1705a96609_TomLai-4.thumb.JPG.924a88914802c1fcc6fdc48036fe06f5.JPG

5ae1706c01940_TomLai-8.thumb.JPG.13706e77b70c8f0ead7425370fd90442.JPG

I like this place. You might want to go with some Thai friends to better understand the menu.

53 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

But not a lot of Isan Food on your table ?

The people I went with were mainly from Isan. They told me much of the food was Isan food. I am not an expert on the differences. Please elaborate on where you see a difference, as I would be interested in knowing.

24 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

The people I went with were mainly from Isan. They told me much of the food was Isan food. I am not an expert on the differences. Please elaborate on where you see a difference, as I would be interested in knowing.

Looks like a mainly issan spread to me.

My TW and her mates would devour that spread in minutes 555

Thanks for this. I am definitely going to check this place out.. Guess I could bring a couple of thai girls with me. 

Is Isan food really that spicy? Or is it only some of the dishes? Only time I've tried Isan food was in Hua Hin at a food court. Some of my thai friends there brought over some for me and I could not believe how good it was... Some of it was really funky smelling, some of it spicy as hell, but really really delicious.. I do remember my ass was on FIRE the next day though

Some of the dishes are spicey. Go with knowledgeable Thai friends. They can coach you well. On the spicy ones, take just a little to see how it sets with you. I am often surprised that the ones I am warned about are good in small doses, but some of the others have afterburns that are not always enjoyable. Many of the dishes are not spicey at all. You need a coach.

23 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

The Salad with all the accompaniments looks like a Yam MaMuang, which is very Isan.

And the soup next to it, I presume is a Tom Saep, is Isan.

But a Tom Yam, a Khao Pat, a Gai Thawt, a Goong Chae NamPlaa, a Blue Crab dish?, are not particularly Isan.

I am not criticising it, and it all looks fine to me.

Personally I think the only places in Pattaya, that I know, that do Isan Food only are pretty much daytime places selling Gai Yaang, Som Tams, Yams, Laabs etc.

Even places like Laab Ubon on 3rd Road that does good Isan Food do not stick to their roots nowadays, and the menu has dishes from all over Thailand.

Edited by Taa_Saparot
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

I noticed that if one searches on Tum Laii, you will in fact get search hits. Here is a link for a Trip Advisor review, which identifies the restaurant better than I did.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d13738063-Reviews-Tum_Laii-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

I will ask one of the Admins to change the name of the thread, when they have a little time.

• Thanks 1