Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

The Edge by Sansiri

blueye44

Just now, southsidebruce said:

ahhhh, OK.... building start early 2019, completion to be late 2021?  by then the bigARSE complex of condos along Bukhao Soi 15, opposite the Centara Azure, should be almost completed... 

i watched them build the Base twin block condos and the speed at which they went up was exceptional. once the foundations are in which takes time expect rapid progress.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, striderman said:

i watched them build The Base twin block condos and the speed at which they went up was exceptional. once the foundations are in which takes time expect rapid progress.

like the base the edge is a sansiri project, and they don't hang about. after a hunt round my archives................

1807835777_sept5157_800x600.jpg.e2ccfe30b0e666c05a9a96c5f810f746.jpg

the beige building bottom left is lk residence in soi diana. pic taken 5 sept 2014

6 months later march 4th 2015....................

1192511965_march4198(Custom).JPG.fa02886a9ce59956f2747187c85cfbe7.JPG

fast forward to june 21 st................south tower almost full height still bit to do on the north 1 in the background

780915536_june21005(Custom).JPG.f39f2eaf1bfa644d898670819cf58be8.JPG

and by sept 2nd 2015...............ie 1 year from that first pic above...............

400530284_sept2010(Custom).JPG.52fce8446feac6ed65d40c1015b5bf22.JPG

now i think that is pretty dammed quick

I think that this developer uses prefabricated sections. This accounts for the very fast progress once they get going.

I have no idea how prefabricated sections behave in the long term.

Indeed. It has always been a completely mystery to me why anyone would choose to live in a condo that overlooks any sort of bar area. Units in the new Edge will presumably be even worse, as it is nearer to the bars in both Soi Diana and those on the other side of 2nd Road which are also very noisy.

I used to live 30 meters from the train tracks... noise does not bother me in the slightest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I think that this developer uses prefabricated sections. This accounts for the very fast progress once they get going.

I work in my city’s CBD and the vast majority of new buildings being built here and done with prefab concrete sections. It’s standard practice nowadays and I can’t see any major development being done any other way nowadays. 

From conversations I’ve had with builders, Prefab is quicker, more cost effective and seemingly perfectly safe. 

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Just now, Dr No said:

I work in my city’s CBD and the vast majority of new buildings being built here and done with prefab concrete sections. It’s standard practice nowadays and I can’t see any major development being done any other way nowadays. 

From conversations I’ve had with builders, Prefab is quicker, more cost effective and seemingly perfectly safe. 

Dr. No is spot on .. pre-fabricated building technology is now a tried-and-true, common construction technique .. Japanese developers I used in the late 90's were early movers and developers of the technology, and are like the PhD's in the technique .. much of it relies upon standardized panels and details to generate a huge economy of scale and speed of assembly .. another advantage is the quality .. these are built in controlled manufacturing environments by machines whose quality cannot be matched by unskilled masons laying-up brick and blocks used by the lesser developers. 

Engineers and architects who understand the actual fabrication and assembly process, and the consequent design limitations, are key .. most old school architects have limited understanding of how to construct what they design, so it is a great advantage to younger, more progressive designers.

The technique was easily tranferred to Thai developers some 15+ years ago .. Pruksa was the first to build their own pre-fabrication plants and prove the technology to the Thai buyers .. Sansiri and other major developers then followed with their own prefabrication plants.

It is durable, requiring no long-term maintenance other than paint .. the only real vulnerability is in the joints between the pre-fabricated panels, where proven joint design details and very good sealants have been perfected to prevent water and wind from penetrating .. not a concern for contractors with experience in this technology.

Recommended, as long as it is built by an experienced developer using experienced design team and contractor.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

12 hours ago, southsidebruce said:

passed by the lot a week or so ago and looked in though the aluminum fence/wall where there was an opening and was VERY SURPRISED to see no work had been done other than clearing the lot (which is a lot of work, on its own, but still)... when is this new SanSreeiiii Condo construction supposed to be completed?  and why has the construction not started?  again, I was VERY SURPRISED to see no progress on construction... 

8 hours ago, striderman said:

you cannot start construction till they have  EIA approval. environmental impact assesment. the site was cleared by late may early june 2018. building work start was announced back then to be in early 2019.

6 hours ago, southsidebruce said:

ahhhh, OK.... building start early 2019, completion to be late 2021?  by then the bigARSE complex of condos along Bukhao Soi 15, opposite the Centara Azure, should be almost completed... 

6 hours ago, striderman said:

i watched them build The Base twin block condos and the speed at which they went up was exceptional. once the foundations are in which takes time expect rapid progress.

Some people have .. ummm .. quirky hobbies .. they are fascinated by train spotting .. others are obsessed with plane spotting .. but, Striderman? .. Striderman is plowing new territory .. Thai condo spotting! .. [ we all look forward to the coffee table photograph book .. maybe even the movie! ]. :P

Yeah, today the government is more and more requiring developers to conform to building regulations and codes .. there are permits to procure (building construction permit and EIA) .. I understand the EIA now takes about a year to process (in the old days, it was pulled in weeks with a special 'expediting fee').

We witness here the advantage of using a professional, publicly-listed developer like Sansiri .. that they do not start projects without permits (once developers do that, they are then hostage to the bureucrats who play all kinds of .. uhhh .. tricks) .. they have conventional bank development loans which fund a large percentage of the construction costs .. but .. but .. the bank will not release the funds until a certain percentage of the units are pre-sold .. then, between pre-sales, developer equity, and bank funding, there is sufficient funding to complete the project .. only then, do they begin construction.

Developer risk is significantly mitigated in the process.

The local Somchai Development Companies have huge developer risk .. they do not have a good enough credit rating to qualify for a conventional bank loan and have far less equity than a conventional bank loan requires, and so they must rely heavily upon pre-sales to build the condo .. unsuspecting buyers do not only take on huge developer risk by buying from these guys, they also take on the developers market risk too .. that's compounding risk on top of risk, each of which are amongst the highest risks to mitigate in Thailand development industry .. f*#kin' scary  .. ya' make ya' bets, and ya' takes ya' chances.

Once Sansiri starts, the condo gets built and typically completed on schedule .. even if the market tanks completely and there are no further pre-sales .. this is how it works.

Dr. No is spot on .. pre-fabricated building technology is now a tried-and-true, common construction technique .. Japanese developers I used in the late 90's were early movers and developers of the technology, and are like the PhD's in the technique .. much of it relies upon standardized panels and details to generate a huge economy of scale and speed of assembly .. another advantage is the quality .. these are built in controlled manufacturing environments by machines whose quality cannot be matched by unskilled masons laying-up brick and blocks used by the lesser developers. 
Engineers and architects who understand the actual fabrication and assembly process, and the consequent design limitations, are key .. most old school architects have limited understanding of how to construct what they design, so it is a great advantage to younger, more progressive designers.
The technique was easily tranferred to Thai developers some 15+ years ago .. Pruksa was the first to build their own pre-fabrication plants and prove the technology to the Thai buyers .. Sansiri and other major developers then followed with their own prefabrication plants.
It is durable, requiring no long-term maintenance other than paint .. the only real vulnerability is in the joints between the pre-fabricated panels, where proven joint design details and very good sealants have been perfected to prevent water and wind from penetrating .. not a concern for contractors with experience in this technology.
Recommended, as long as it is built by an experienced developer using experienced design team and contractor.
How would you know if a condo is prefab? out of interest are Centara and Golden Tulip prefab? One condo on Soi 4 Pratamak definitely looks like non prefab

3 hours ago, Dr No said:

I dont think it's so common here.

8 hours ago, striderman said:

like The Base the edge is a sansiri project, and they don't hang about. after a hunt round my archives................

1807835777_sept5157_800x600.jpg.e2ccfe30b0e666c05a9a96c5f810f746.jpg

the beige building bottom left is LK Residence in soi diana. pic taken 5 sept 2014

6 months later march 4th 2015....................

1192511965_march4198(Custom).JPG.fa02886a9ce59956f2747187c85cfbe7.JPG

fast forward to june 21 st................south tower almost full height still bit to do on the north 1 in the background

780915536_june21005(Custom).JPG.f39f2eaf1bfa644d898670819cf58be8.JPG

and by sept 2nd 2015...............ie 1 year from that first pic above...............

400530284_sept2010(Custom).JPG.52fce8446feac6ed65d40c1015b5bf22.JPG

now i think that is pretty dammed quick

Through the years we've become accustomed to work progressing at a snails pace. In the 1930s work began on the Empire State building, 14 months later and over 100 floors it was completed.  I think environmental impact studies take longer today.

5 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

How would you know if a condo is prefab? out of interest are Centara and Golden Tulip prefab? One condo on Soi 4 Pratamak definitely looks like non prefab

Hey, Scuba+ .. I did not follow Centara or Golden Tulip closely enough to know if they used pre-fabricated panels.

Once the walls are installed, plastered, textured, and painted, there is no obvious way of visibly discern between the wall types .. but .. try driving a nail into a wall to hang wall-mounted anythings:

• The walls in the lowest quality condos are made from cement block .. putting a masonry nail into it might cause it to crumble .. it has poor structural strength .. I wouldn't hang my THB 450,000, 85", 8k, wireless TV on a cement block wall;
  • Higher quality walls are constructed of fired-bricks .. they will take masonry nails or drilled-in anchors, and will carry wall-hung stuff; and,
  • Then, there are precast panels .. structurally as/more solid as fired-brick walls.

I am unaware if gypsum board (sheet rock) on metal studs is used in any Thai residential applications (interior walls only).

Keep in mind that pre-fabricated panels are typically used for floors, and both exterior and interior walls, and are mounted to concrete structures which are loosely the same for most concrete building types .. the walls are not load-bearing .. the structures (beams and columns) carry the building loads down through the columns to the foundations .. so, the types of walls is irrelevant to the integrity of the building.

That's all I got.

• 3 months later...

Dont stay in LK residence. Just got back from a few days on the 5th floor at the opposite end to the Edge and could hear piling start every morning. Metropole for a while now I guess!

4 minutes ago, wildcolin said:

Dont stay in LK Residence. Just got back from a few days on the 5th floor at the opposite end to the Edge and could hear piling start every morning. Metropole for a while now I guess!

Yep I did post in Feb work was starting after chatting to Manager and expected to carry on best part of this year for piling works....Rest of building going be going on for many months after that  The Base didn't go up in a year that for sure 555

• 2 weeks later...

it would have most likely quiet last few days as most big building sites have shut down over songkran.

Makes you wonder how long that arcade of restaurants etc has got before that's redeveloped highrise.  Not many basically single floor buildings left on Second Rd.  Added together with the beer bars behind and to the south of it that's probably earning less rent for the land owner than most other sites on Second Rd.  Anyone buying a condo in The Edge with a southwards view should beware.

19 hours ago, striderman said:

it would have most likely quiet last few days as most big building sites have shut down over songkran.

Can confirm that the building has started again today. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

piling machines are done

1433558385_27may008(Custom).JPG.2981287f86c71e58332b15c0fff95eaa.JPG

taken may 27th. all gone.

next stage will be digging out the basement /car park

Archived