IGNORED

The Edge by Sansiri

blueye44

So it's 4 million baht for the small studio. Not very affordable IMHO.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jpmelville said:

I’m guessing there’ll be enough ‘black’ Chinese & Thai money to make the place sell quite quickly.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I thought The Base condos were overpriced! The rental prices were decent though. You are paying for the location.

On 5/20/2018 at 09:41, brutox said:

By gross revenues, Sansiri is rated variously over the last years somewhere in the top 3 largest publicly-traded real estate developers in the country .. their marketing is about the best there is, so they get great market coverage and they know how to sell.

Because Sansiri is publicly-traded and a professional developer, they are credit-worthy and secure conventional development loans .. a distinctive advantage over the local-local developers who are always a risk of failing to complete their projects if pre-sales stall below a critical threshhold.

Buyers that follow Sansiri include: (i) speculators, who hope to sell their pre-sale contracts to follow-on buyers just as the project is ready for transfer; (ii) investors, who will own units long-term and count on rental income and capital appreciation; and, (iii) end users who will live in the condos they buy.

Because Sansiri finishes their projects on time, the first two categories of buyers follow them from project to project .. analysts note that Sansiri enjoys much higher pre-sales bookings than their competitors.

Always appreciate your knowledgeable insight, Brutox!

6 hours ago, jpmelville said:

According to the info on the Edge in another thread there are no studios.  The smallest 1 bedroom was around 27 sq meters and whenever you see a price quote for a development that says "Starting at X" amount, that will be the smallest unit on the lowest floor.

6 hours ago, hioctane said:

I thought The Base condos were overpriced! The rental prices were decent though. You are paying for the location.

The Base rental prices will probably decrease once the Edge with their 600+ units are completed.

On 4/24/2018 at 18:11, davidge said:

That plot has been bought by a hotel chain. They published detailed plans on the 2 hotels to be built there and cleared the lot.

Nothing has happened since. No idea when/If construction will start.

Word is:   The hotel chain has been promised a Card Gaming license when Gaming is approved for Pattaya by 2025.   The hotel chain told the city - they will build and pay the city fees - AFTER they get a real gaming license! 

So if you live in VT-6 on south side you are probably safe for quite a while UNLESS - someone pounds out a Gaming approval. 

On 5/20/2018 at 20:15, usexpat46 said:

Before any work on The Base began it was sold out. When I first heard about that I didn't believe it but on one of my noon strolls I stopped in at their recently finished showroom and asked about the condo.  The sales rep there told me that all units were sold but the developer was going to be building another project up on Wongamat Beach if I was interested.  I wonder if the Edge will have that type of  success.

I bought my Edge unit for my thai near-wife last week in Bangkok at the first pre-sale opening. 

But the question I hear often is "Why does SanSiri sell out so fast!"       What SanSiri don't tell the public is:   The reason Sansiri sells out so fast, is Sansiri is popular with  "Bulk Buyers".    Sansiri gives 5%-15% discount (proportionately), to bulk-buyers who purchase the majority of an entire floor.      I only know this because an acquaintance of mine - belongs to an old Indian-Thai family in ChonBuri, and they made their fortune by long term leasing the land they own, which is a large section of  Walking street.  Anyway, he was telling me how his family and other wealthy Thai families with large value OLD-real-estate holdings, that are free and clear - so have excellent credit, actually meet about a month before the Pre-Sale events.  So in April he had bought out the ENTIRE 14th. floor!   Except for the front units which he believes would not be a good investment return.

Anyway, I was going to buy a foreign name unit, so I got to the Bangkok Hilton early at 0700.  But when the sales officially started at 0800, I was told only one foreign name unit was available for the entire project.   It was 15th floor, south view 27SQM @at 5.26M.  I told my lady about it on the phone.  When she heard the price, she said it would not be good to buy a foreign unit as the monthly costs to hold while building are substantially higher then a similar Thai unit.   She said a better investment for us (since we did not intent to live at the The Edge), was to own in a Thai name and flip the contract BEFORE they finish the building.  Since her family is well off and made a fortune in Real estate in BKK, I take her advice (as she is well educated with a finance, Chula.. MBA), when it comes to condo's.   So far, have not lost a dime on any units I have flipped.  For The Edge, as an example, Thai unit buyers, only have to put down about baht 80K, and then baht 8K, monthly payments until the building is ready for occupancy, with the occasional baht 30K bumps as building construction milestones are hit.       

Anyway, for grins I attended the Pattaya Hilton event today  (Great free food and desserts and coffee expresso, latte etc...)   The event was at the Hilton on the 17th floor and I arrived right at 12:00 noon.  My BKK sales guy was there and he told me someone in BKK had dropped out of a purchase contract 10th,fl, front.   So now I had my eye on that thai name front 48SQ meter unit 10TH floor North facing, @7.1M.    I went to get the wife in Central and returned at 12:45 and told the salesman, "Ok she approves we'll take it!".   He said - "Sorry ALL 2-bedroom units sold out today at 12:30."   

So we stayed to eat the free food and drink the coffee.   But while we were waiting we were approached by two (I have to say fairly hot 1/2 Thai, 1/2 German, ladies that were dressed similar to the SanSiri sales people.  These ladies approached us and said, "I see you are a foreigner, would you like to buy a foreign name unit?"  I said, your sales guy just told us they were no foreign units available....    She said - well we represent a bulk buyer who purchased a large block of foreign name units.   This is the list she gave me - TheEdgeBlockForeignNameUnits.thumb.jpg.2f1b448e102309d38e57be3fc1148dab.jpg

Please NOTE that the listed prices she is showing are GREATLY marked up from the Pre-Sales prices I saw in Bangkok.   At least 15%-20% higher then I was quoted.    

So this is how the units get sold quickly and the building sells out quickly.  That is how the BASE sold out so quickly.   

So long story short.   I have a contract on a unit that I ultimately sell before The Edge is built. As I remember from the flip at The Base.  If the prices rise (closer to completion), as they did similarly to The Base.   My unit will be worth 1M baht more then I paid about 10-months before project completion, and about 50K-100K more until the project opens.  

Now if your a real LONG-SHOT gambler;  If The Edge is like the base,3% of the purchasers default on the total balloon they need to pay at construction completion, so there might be last minute fire sales!   

On 5/20/2018 at 19:31, SirL said:

Sure, if a 31 floor building is built somewhere, it should be your working assumption unless proved otherwise that another 31 floor building would be granted permission on the adjacent land.  Of course I'm talking eg UK here, Thailand is different etc etc.

Now as I did research and I could be wrong.   Pattaya EIA rules are very simple for height restrictions.    Height for a beachfront property - unless grandfathered like the Northshore, the Markland and VT-6,  are generally limited to a height of 8 stories.  So the Mikes shopping center across from The Edge cannot get high then that.

Height of buildings halfway between beach road and 2nd road are dependent upon the "TOTAL AREA OF LAND THE BUILDING HAS PURCHASED, for a height determination.  

Wow, those are really crazy prices... paying 5m+ baht for a 27sqm kennel... or 8million for a 32sqm..... given the whole situation on the market.... if you're buying for yourself, this is way overpriced IMHO...... I don't see how it is a good investment either... it's going to take years to make profit from that.... 

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 20:15, usexpat46 said:

Before any work on The Base began it was sold out.  //

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 09:22, KittenKong said:

This is true. The Base sold out on the launch weekend.  //

Just marketing tricks ! Not Sold Out at all.

There were still units for sale from the promoter when The Base officially opened. :rolleyes:

Many units were just reserved by the promoter to be sold later, when shortage of free units make prices climb.

Even more are reserved by those who play on "bulk", as dickygozinya described above. If the project is a success they will make a huge profit 15-30% (!), and if ever the project failed, they will just lost the tiny amount they had to pay for this reservation. A good business if you are rich enough to play it.

And add at last all the small Resellers  who just "buy" for re-sell when the condo is (nearly) finished. Many have to re-sell quickly as they don't have money enough to pay the following steps of the payment scheme, so their profit is a lot of lower, and when arrives the date of the mandatory first big payment, they will sell at lost as they have no other choice. Some good deals to get there... sometimes.

6 minutes ago, madhat said:

Wow, those are really crazy prices... paying 5m+ baht for a 27sqm kennel... or 8million for a 32sqm..... given the whole situation on the market.... if you're buying for yourself, this is way overpriced IMHO...... I don't see how it is a good investment either... it's going to take years to make profit from that.... 

Well since you only have 58 posts, perhaps you are not yet familiar with the Thailand Pattaya market.    But somehow you read my post and missed this:  , I said;  " Please NOTE that the listed prices [ in the picture ], she is showing are GREATLY marked up from the Pre-Sales prices I saw in Bangkok.   At least 15%-20% higher then I was quoted.  "    So!   If the guy who bought the foreign named units in bulk (in the picture), before the pre-sale,  sells those units, a profit of at least 15% after holding fees, and new contract draw fees, is realized by the bulk purchaser.  Note this is before any construction starts and the building has only been available for sale for 2-WEEKS - HELL of a RETURN in such a short time!

ALSO, these prices on the list are for  (1) FOREIGN NAME  OWNERSHIP, which some people believe is more desirable as a foreign named owned unit can sell to another foreigner and pay a transfer fee.   If the unit is Thai quota - but purchased by a foreigner with the use of a Thai company, Any future foreign purchasers can simply take ownership of the Thai company and be named as the new managing director of the Thai company and avoid a great deal of transfer fees......

11 minutes ago, dickygozinya said:

// If the unit is Thai quota - but purchased by a foreigner with the use of a Thai company, Any future foreign purchasers can simply take ownership of the Thai company and be named as the new managing director of the Thai company and avoid a great deal of transfer fees...

A small advantage here yes, but :

• owning a company has a cost, yearly
  • condo with a company are extremely hard to re-sell; you must find someone who takes the company with the condo...
  • the company route to buy a condo is not fully legal  (because Thai partners didn't bring their part of the capital)
  • if ever you sell to a Thai, you will find that closing a Thai company is extremely costly !
  • etc.

2 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

A small advantage here yes, but :

• owning a company has a cost, yearly
  • condo with a company are extremely hard to re-sell; you must find someone who takes the company with the condo...
  • the company route to buy a condo is not fully legal  (because Thai partners didn't bring their part of the capital)
  • if ever you sell to a Thai, you will find that closing a Thai company is extremely costly !
  • etc.

If I sell to a thai as the unit will be in my ladys name who is Thai it will be a no extra cost 

These two Sansiri buildings are a good example of Thai "smoke and mirrors" marketing.

Announce your project with a fan-fare and a flourish. Announce pre-sales, and offer big discounts. Sell out within hours. Then increase the list prices of any odd units left by 20+%.

That allows some scope for anyone who has bought off-plan at a big discount to sell their unit on before completion and make a small profit, assuming they can find a bigger fool to buy from them. The bigger fools are attracted by the fact that the building was sold out at at launch, and are tricked into assuming that the list prices currently shown by the developer are the prices at which the building sold out, and represent realistic values.

But absolutely none of that means that a 27sqm unit in that building is actually worth 5.xMB

Smoke and mirrors. Deceit and deception. Lies and more lies.

The only real advantage Sansiri offers over some of the other developers here is that they Sansiri is less likely to go bust before completing the building. The prices are still nonsense.

7 hours ago, dickygozinya said:

ALSO, these prices on the list are for  (1) FOREIGN NAME  OWNERSHIP, which some people believe is more desirable as a foreign named owned unit can sell to another foreigner and pay a transfer fee.   If the unit is Thai quota - but purchased by a foreigner with the use of a Thai company, Any future foreign purchasers can simply take ownership of the Thai company and be named as the new managing director of the Thai company and avoid a great deal of transfer fees......

Amazing to think that there are still idiots around who believe that buying company-name condos is a good idea.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

These two Sansiri buildings are a good example of Thai "smoke and mirrors" marketing.

Announce your project with a fan-fare and a flourish. Announce pre-sales, and offer big discounts. Sell out within hours. Then increase the list prices of any odd units left by 20+%.

That allows some scope for anyone who has bought off-plan at a big discount to sell their unit on before completion and make a small profit, assuming they can find a bigger fool to buy from them. The bigger fools are attracted by the fact that the building was sold out at at launch, and are tricked into assuming that the list prices currently shown by the developer are the prices at which the building sold out, and represent realistic values.

But absolutely none of that means that a 27sqm unit in that building is actually worth 5.xMB

Smoke and mirrors. Deceit and deception. Lies and more lies.

The only real advantage Sansiri offers over some of the other developers here is that they Sansiri is less likely to go bust before completing the building. The prices are still nonsense.

AW.....   Sounds like someone didn't get to participate in the pre-sale and won't be " make a small profit, assuming they can find a bigger fool to buy from them. "    So sorry for you.    I made a bundle off of the pre-sale in  The Base.   The base had TWICE as many rooms for sale as the edge, and The Edge has views - stolen from being in front of The Base.  Now the market for Condo's has significantly change and there is a GLUT of old units in the market - but location, location, location and NEW condo's seem to retain demand - if you don't believe this - price a condo in the Northshore - average cost per SQM is 94,000, and that is considered an OLD building.

NOW I know that most of us on this forum are NOT the obnoxious type of Westerner, my Thai friends talk about........ The reality is the majority of Westerner's are losing relevance as buyer's of condo's, and rapidly losing importance as a tourist block in Thailand as "Hordes of middle class Chinese (mostly those who were denied large families due to the taxes imposed by China after the one state allowed child),  with no 'cost efficient, place in China', to spend their new middle class wealth.  Also the growth of 'wealthy Chinese' and rapidly expanding college educated Thai's (known by some as -  'Bangkokians'), middle class is swooping in to push out westerners and take advantage of any existing - but seldom enforced Thai laws on the books to nudge out Westerners  where profits are concerned.   It would seem wealthy Thais consider the only relevant Westerners now those few who have married to build a family, and have Thai children.

I speak to dozens of 'well off' Thai's at business functions, pretty much daily .   Most of these 'upper middle class Bangkok Thai's', would prefer not to engage with 'those type of Westerners who come to take advantage of the Thai economy, and care little of Thai culture, and have zero Desire to learn Thai and constantly are telling Thai's - "You need to learn English", especially, the kind of Westerner, that Thai people are very cognizant of who only care about Thai females from the nose to the knees. 

Even the few single digit millionaires (which thanks to the USA stock market bump), are many of us here, have noticed a 'cooling' of Thai's interest in westerners, which I began to notice before I was fortunate enough to be coupled with my prominent HiSo Thai lady.

42 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Amazing to think that there are still idiots around who believe that buying company-name condos is a good idea.

I think the idiot are those westerners who do not fully understand Thai law, Don't understand the protections provided by a legitimate Thai corporation, don't read Thai, and are seriously only in Thailand to use Thai women from the nose to the knees. 

I am thankful so many western individuals think like you and are in Thailand now!   Because this ignorance increases my ability to increase my profits with my purchase of a mix of Thai and Foreign name units.   

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Typical comment of someone who knows nothing about it. :rolleyes:

By example this can be a good choice for an old senior. The day he dies, they just have to replace his name by the name of his son as the Director of the company and it's done. No complicated inheritance (sometimes involving home country); no taxes to pay (in Thailand or home country); quick, cheap and easy. :)

10 hours ago, dickygozinya said:

Word is:   The hotel chain has been promised a Card Gaming license when Gaming is approved for Pattaya by 2025.   The hotel chain told the city - they will build and pay the city fees - AFTER they get a real gaming license! 

So if you live in VT-6 on south side you are probably safe for quite a while UNLESS - someone pounds out a Gaming approval. 

Is the “Word” on a gaming being approved in 7 years based on anything but rumour? Seems an unusual time estimate.

Now as I did research and I could be wrong.   Pattaya EIA rules are very simple for height restrictions.    Height for a beachfront property - unless grandfathered like the Northshore, the Markland and VT-6,  are generally limited to a height of 8 stories.  So the Mikes shopping center across from The Edge cannot get high then that.

Height of buildings halfway between beach road and 2nd road are dependent upon the "TOTAL AREA OF LAND THE BUILDING HAS PURCHASED, for a height determination.  

Hey, dickygozinga .. if/when you do the research, here is what you will find:

• The buildling height is not based on the total site area .. the gross building area allowed to be constructed is based on the total site area;
  • The height of the building is based on  combinatiun of (i) the width of the road on which the site is situated; and (ii) a minimum setback of the building from the street .. I believe I recall that an 8-level building is permitted on a reasonably large site (large enough to accommodate the setback from the road), located on an 8m wide road; and,
  • The height of beach-fronting buildings are based on setback restrictions, which progressively get higher as the building footprint moves away from the mean high tide water line.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

7 hours ago, madhat said:

I rather agree with you madhat .. my sense is that these units are overpriced for the Pattaya market .. there seem to be an ample number of existing units that offer better value .. for the same price, I believe resale units in the relatively new, higher quality beachfront condos make far more sense.

7 hours ago, dickygozinya said:

Well since you only have 58 posts, perhaps you are not yet familiar with the Thailand Pattaya market.   

Well, dickygozinga, let's consider madhat's view of The Edge.

Here is something about which to think .. there are 3 categories of buyers in this market for this asset class (condos):

• Speculators, who are trying to flip the units before they have to close on them at building completion; they are seeking to sell down to the next two buyer categories;
  • Investors, who acquire the units and rent them out seeking annual yield and asset appreciation; and,
  • End users, for whom this purchase is their home.

Property valuations in the Thai condo asset class are significantly driven by the second group of buyers. 

There are three generally accepted methods for appraising a property value:

• Replacement value;
  • Comparably priced units; and,
  • Net operating income capitalization.

As an example, I will use the latter method applied to the THB 5.0m cost of the 27M2 unit madhat cites above .. here is the stripped-down simple math:

• A 5.0% net annual yield is the generally accepted target return by Thai investors, who significantly drive the rental market
  • Investment = THB 5,000,000
  • Net annual income = 5,000,000 x 5.0% = 250,000/year

To this net annual income, the owner's annual cost of ownership must be added, such as agency rental commission (equivalent to 1 month's rent), building maintenance fees (say, THB 40/M2/month), owner's unit maintenance costs (say 5.0% of gross rent) .. adding these together, the annual cost of ownership is:

• Agency rental commission = 250,000/year  / 12 months = 20,833
  • Building maintenance fee = 40/M2/month x 27 m2 x 12 months = 12,960
  • Owner's unit maintenance costs = 250,000/year x 5% = 12,500
  • Total annual cost of ownership = 20,833 + 12,960 + 12,500 = 46,293/year

So, for the owner to make their 5.0% net annual yield, this additional cost of ownership is added to the net annual income to arrive at a gross annual income sufficient to meet a 5.0% net annual yield:

• Gross annual income = net annual income 250,000 + annual cost of ownership 46,293 = 296,293/year
  • Gross monthly income = 296,293/yer / 12 months = 24,691/month

[ I assume this unit is 100% occupied, which is a huuuuge gap in this analysis .. the months it typically takes to rent out a vacant unit rips holes right through this analysis. ]

So .. now .. this is where market knowledge is critical .. can this unit reasonably rent for THB 25,000/month? .. if it is unreasonable, then the investor category of buyers will lower their purchase offer price to meet whatever the market will bear .. they will significantly drive the market price.

From what the market will support in monthly rent, just run the numbers backward .. that will tell you if the cost is reasonable .. although, end buyers for whom this is a home can reasonably pay more, since this is not strictly an investment decision .. but, this sort of analysis provides useful data points to them for determining a fair market price.

Here is the question to the locals who know the Pattaya condo rental market:

• What is the reasonable monthly rent for a 1-bedroom, 27m2 unit at The Edge?; and,
  • At THB 25,000/month, what are the alternatives at this price point and how do they compare to The Edge?

Hehehe, you haven't really been here very long, eh?

11 minutes ago, Tarl said:

Is the “Word” on a gaming being approved in 7 years based on anything but rumour? Seems an unusual time estimate.

This rumor circulates in the Pattaya market every several several years (uh, decades, if you have been here long enough, which I think dickygozinga has clearly not) .. I think the last time was when the waterfront redevelopment scheme was being planned, which was going to include legalized gambling .. it had all the come-ons to attract Thais .. "big, big royal power is behind it" .. mmmm, yeah .. right.

Rumors as these generally surface to artificially inflate land prices for speculators .. only the most innocent of gullibles buy it .. mostly aspirational Thai buyers and a few innocent farang.

9 hours ago, dickygozinya said:

Now as I did research and I could be wrong.   Pattaya EIA rules are very simple for height restrictions.    Height for a beachfront property - unless grandfathered like the Northshore, the Markland and VT-6,  are generally limited to a height of 8 stories.  //

This "8 stories max" is something I often heard (but never saw an official document) but reduced to the area from (near?) Pattaya Centre hotel (Soi 12) to Bali Hai Pear.

I remember a member of the Committee talking about that, and then the fact that because of the Wat in front of the condo, and because of this 8-stories limit west of 2nd Road, upper floors "should never" lost their sea view...

Well, dickygozinga, let's consider madhat's view of The Edge.
Here is something about which to think .. there are 3 categories of buyers in this market for this asset class (condos):
  • Speculators, who are trying to flip the units before they have to close on them at building completion; they are seeking to sell down to the next two buyer categories;
  • Investors, who acquire the units and rent them out seeking annual yield and asset appreciation; and,
  • End users, for whom this purchase is their home.
Property valuations in the Thai condo asset class are significantly driven by the second group of buyers. 
There are three generally accepted methods for appraising a property value:
  • Replacement value;
  • Comparably priced units; and,
  • Net operating income capitalization.
As an example, I will use the latter method applied to the THB 5.0m cost of the 27M2 unit madhat cites above .. here is the stripped-down simple math:
  • A 5.0% net annual yield is the generally accepted target return by Thai investors, who significantly drive the rental market
  • Investment = THB 5,000,000
  • Net annual income = 5,000,000 x 5.0% = 250,000/year
To this net annual income, the owner's annual cost of ownership must be added, such as agency rental commission (equivalent to 1 month's rent), building maintenance fees (say, THB 40/M2/month), owner's unit maintenance costs (say 5.0% of gross rent) .. adding these together, the annual cost of ownership is:
  • Agency rental commission = 250,000/year  / 12 months = 20,833
  • Building maintenance fee = 40/M2/month x 27 m2 x 12 months = 12,960
  • Owner's unit maintenance costs = 250,000/year x 5% = 12,500
  • Total annual cost of ownership = 20,833 + 12,960 + 12,500 = 46,293/year
So, for the owner to make their 5.0% net annual yield, this additional cost of ownership is added to the net annual income to arrive at a gross annual income sufficient to meet a 5.0% net annual yield:
  • Gross annual income = net annual income 250,000 + annual cost of ownership 46,293 = 296,293/year
  • Gross monthly income = 296,293/yer / 12 months = 24,691/month

[ I assume this unit is 100% occupied, which is a huuuuge gap in this analysis .. the months it typically takes to rent out a vacant unit rips holes right through this analysis. ]

So .. now .. this is where market knowledge is critical .. can this unit reasonably rent for THB 25,000/month? .. if it is unreasonable, then the investor category of buyers will lower their purchase offer price to meet whatever the market will bear .. they will significantly drive the market price.
From what the market will support in monthly rent, just run the numbers backward .. that will tell you if the cost is reasonable .. although, end buyers for whom this is a home can reasonably pay more, since this is not strictly an investment decision .. but, this sort of analysis provides useful data points to them for determining a fair market price.

Here is the question to the locals who know the Pattaya condo rental market:
  • What is the reasonable monthly rent for a 1-bedroom, 27m2 unit at The Edge?; and,
  • At THB 25,000/month, what are the alternatives at this price point and how do they compare to The Edge?

Thanks.. Very good anaylsis!

Not likely. Even at The Base, 35m2 units rent for 25,000 baht and the smaller units rent for 18,000. Slightly more or less depending on the view.

Archived