IGNORED

How to slim down for Pattaya

Ben4454

On 31/07/2018 at 18:11, barky bark said:

for me keto is working pretty good, High fat high protein and low carbs.

Ketones are produced in weight loss regardless of what diet you are on. So anyone who is losing weight is actually on a keto diet.

• 2 weeks later...

Intermittent Fasting has worked well for me to keep down the weight. It works almost too well, in that I find myself eating more on work out days so I don't lose *too* much weight.

Eat between 12-8pm. Rest of the time is black coffee and tea.

On 7/31/2018 at 16:11, barky bark said:

how does one accomplish this in thailand?

every thai dish is spiked with sugar. Im sure they even sprinkle some in a thai omelette. For sure in the stuffing.

I'm trying to slim down before a visit to Pattaya next month. My motivation is twofold. Firstly, I expect I will be more comfortable as a result, on the long flight, and in Thailand's equatorial climate, and secondly I will feel better about myself - bit of narcissism.

What works for me is eating mainly seafood and fresh fruit and vegetables and no alcohol, as apart from the calories in the alcohol, drinking gives me the munchies. Also I try to walk briskly for 90 minutes a day.

1 hour ago, weblo said:

It's quite simple, don't eat as much. Never seen a fat person n aushwitz!

Wouldn't joke with that..

Shame on u. 

• Like 1

Many years ago I attended a lecture sponsored by my fitness/racquetball club regarding fitness.  Basically burn more calories than you consume, but the lecturer pointed out that if you exercise and work out a lot you could actually gain weight.  He stated that if your body losses fat but gains muscle you could actually gain weight as a pound of fat is about 4 times the size of a pound of muscle.  So the key is to lose inches.  He stated that the US military was one of the first to notice this as they use to watch the weight of the soldiers and if they exceeded the weight/height ratio they would be put on the fat boy program.  Then a case happened where the fittest soldier in the battalion exceeded the ratio as he worked out and lifted weights daily.

1 hour ago, usexpat46 said:

Many years ago I attended a lecture sponsored by my fitness/racquetball club regarding fitness.  Basically burn more calories than you consume, but the lecturer pointed out that if you exercise and work out a lot you could actually gain weight.  He stated that if your body losses fat but gains muscle you could actually gain weight as a pound of fat is about 4 times the size of a pound of muscle.  So the key is to lose inches.  He stated that the US military was one of the first to notice this as they use to watch the weight of the soldiers and if they exceeded the weight/height ratio they would be put on the fat boy program.  Then a case happened where the fittest soldier in the battalion exceeded the ratio as he worked out and lifted weights daily.

Inches and body-fat is better way to measure how well you are doing.

One pound of fat weighs the same as one pound of muscle. ...

One pound of fat is roughly the size of a small grapefruit;

One pound of muscle is about the size of a tangerine.

But that tangerine is active tissue, meaning that it burns more calories at rest than fat does.

" Muscles take up less space in your body, so body weight may go up as you add compact, tight muscle mass.

Image result for pound of fat versus muscle

On 8/15/2018 at 11:00, Autoroam said:

how does one accomplish this in thailand?

every thai dish is spiked with sugar. Im sure they even sprinkle some in a thai omelette. For sure in the stuffing.

You can ask for no sugar before it is prepared. I always get my Som Tam with no sugar. Not Keto specific, but some ideas here:

http://muaythaipros.com/the-15-healthiest-thai-food-dishes-in-thailand/

4 minutes ago, mochatsubo said:

You can ask for no sugar before it is prepared. I always get my Som Tam with no sugar. Not Keto specific, but some ideas here:

http://muaythaipros.com/the-15-healthiest-thai-food-dishes-in-thailand/

the problem is, I suspect they just nod yes to anything...so you will order....then do whatever the hell they want.

most of the soup and curry pastes are pre-made and already have sugar in them.

1 hour ago, Autoroam said:

the problem is, I suspect they just nod yes to anything...so you will order....then do whatever the hell they want.

most of the soup and curry pastes are pre-made and already have sugar in them.

That is why I said "before it is prepared." Obviously this cannot be done with food that is pre-made with sugar or uses ingredients with sugar in them (e.g. some lower quality fish sauces have added sugar, while better quality fish sauces do not).

And yes you are absolutely correct that in many cases, if you ask for no sugar they might add still add a splash for taste or ignore you totally. if they do, then don't order from that place! 

However there are many times you can see for yourself if they are not adding extra sugar. If you are at the Som Tam street cart you can little see if they add sugar. Or when you are getting a smoothie or fruit shake you can ask for no sugar. It's not quite grammatically correct but if you say "Mai nam-tam."

There are some places I eat where they get asked enough by foreigners that they will accommodate a "no sugar" request when possible. The Beer Garden (Pattaya) will do this for some dishes. I trust my taste buds and know Thai food well enough, that I believe they are adding no extra sugar in my Som Tam order.

Now if these dishes are fully Keto acceptable is a different question of course. It's doable, but easy. I can Keto cycle by eating at Sizzlers (main meat dish + salad bar) and Central Market (e.g. salad bar + roast chicken with no sauced skin.

3 hours ago, mochatsubo said:

It's not quite grammatically correct but if you say "Mai nam-tam."

I say "May Sai Nam Tan"....they understand that.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 04:11, barky bark said:

when I was in vegas the buffets were so great I added 10 pounds to my already over weight body:o

so when I got home I researched the keto diet and started on it and its awesome

staying under 25 grams of carbs a day is the key for me loosing  close to 10 pounds a week and the best part is I can eat all the bacon and eggs I want as well as all the meats and above ground vegetables with in the 25 gram  total per day

but the best part is rye whisky is allowed with coke zero ( any diet soda):Bravo1:

44 minutes ago, whynotme said:

when I was in vegas the buffets were so great I added 10 pounds to my already over weight body:o

so when I got home I researched the keto diet and started on it and its awesome

staying under 25 grams of carbs a day is the key for me loosing  close to 10 pounds a week and the best part is I can eat all the bacon and eggs I want as well as all the meats and above ground vegetables with in the 25 gram  total per day

but the best part is rye whisky is allowed with coke zero ( any diet soda):Bravo1:

by restricting certain foods, you're just naturally consuming less cals.

eat 5000 cals of bacon and eggs a day and lets see how it goes then.

1 hour ago, taylor1975 said:

as this diet makes me hungry I am eating way more calories but also loosing weight and so far so good as the added health benefits are also good as my blood pressure is down and my fatty liver has shrunk and I can get into clothes stuffed at the back of my closet that haven't been worn in ten years

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

A keto or ketogenic diet is a very low-carb diet, which turns the body into a fat-burning machine. It has many proven benefits for weight loss, health and performance, as millions of people have experienced already.

What “keto” means

Ketosis

The “keto” in a ketogenic diet comes from the fact that it makes the body produce small fuel molecules called “ketones”.This is an alternative fuel for the body, used when blood sugar (glucose) is in short supply.

Ketones are produced if you eat very few carbs (that are quickly broken down into blood sugar) and only moderate amounts of protein (excess protein can also be converted to blood sugar).

Ketones are produced in the liver, from fat. They are then used as fuel throughout the body, including the brain. The brain is a hungry organ that consumes lots of energy every day, and it can’t run on fat directly. It can only run on glucose… or ketones. On a ketogenic diet, your entire body switches its fuel supply to run almost entirely on fat. Insulin levels become very low, and fat burning increases dramatically. It becomes easy to access your fat stores to burn them off. This is great if you’re trying to lose weight, but there are also other less obvious benefits, such as less hunger and a steady supply of energy, keeping you alert and focused.

When the body produces ketones, it’s said to be in ketosis. The fastest way to get there is by fasting – not eating anything – but nobody can fast forever.

A keto diet, on the other hand, can be eaten indefinitely and also results in ketosis. It has many of the benefits of fasting – including weight loss – without having to fast.

1 hour ago, taylor1975 said:

Are you not sure what to eat on a keto diet? Here you’ll find a quick food list and visual guide, showing you what to eat and avoid on keto. Let’s start with a basic overview:

Keto diet foods: Natural fats (butter, olive oil); Meat; Fish and seafood; Eggs; Cheese; Vegetables that grow above ground

In summary, eat real low-carb foods like meat, fish, eggs, vegetables and natural fats like butter or olive oil. As a basic beginner’s rule, stick to foods with fewer than 5% carbs (numbers above

).

Avoid

Foods to avoid on a keto diet: bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, fruit, beer, soda, juice, candy

Here’s what you should not eat on a keto diet – foods full of sugar and starch. As you can see, these foods are much higher in carbs.

Edited by whynotme

2 hours ago, whynotme said:

Are you not sure what to eat on a keto diet?

No, i'm saying ...do you know why the cabbage soup diet would also work for you, because you would also consume less cals. 

You're basically swapping booze and cake (or whatever made you fat), for meat and eggs etc

No, i'm saying ...do you know why the cabbage soup diet would also work for you, because you would also consume less cals. 
You're basically swapping booze and cake (or whatever made you fat), for meat and eggs etc

By your reasoning the concentration camp diet would also work? Not all calories are the same, swapping beer, cake and candies for fresh veg, meats, and whole fats keeps you feeling fuller longer and more importantly stops the sugar high, crash, and cravings of more sugar. I get it any diet could be considered fadish to some point but if its working for someone, why spend the time to try and tear them down. Considering something like 40% of all adults in the west are obese I say any thing that helps reduce that is a good thing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

It goes without saying that you need to stay within your macros....and daily calorie limit....or it won't work.

The whole science of keto is to switch your body's fuel source from carbs (sugar) to fat.

Fat fills you up, takes longer to burn ...and no sugar highs and lows that make you feel hungry more often.

5,000 cals of bacon and eggs is suicidal.

6 hours ago, barky bark said:

By your reasoning the concentration camp diet would also work? Not all calories are the same, swapping beer, cake and candies for fresh veg, meats, and whole fats keeps you feeling fuller longer and more importantly stops the sugar high, crash, and cravings of more sugar. I get it any diet could be considered fadish to some point but if its working for someone, why spend the time to try and tear them down. Considering something like 40% of all adults in the west are obese I say any thing that helps reduce that is a good thing

i care zero about what makes you full for longer, the point is, people think there is some super science behind this keto diet. Suddenly they can eat unlimited x, y and z. Which is bollox, they can't. 

So why don't they realise they are just swapping bad food for good food and therefore less cals??? Its not rocket science. Yeh if you want to do the concentration camp diet, go for it. It sure will work. A good example of how dumb people can be.

i care zero about what makes you full for longer, the point is, people think there is some super science behind this keto diet. Suddenly they can eat unlimited x, y and z. Which is bollox, they can't. 
So why don't they realise they are just swapping bad food for good food and therefore less cals??? Its not rocket science. Yeh if you want to do the concentration camp diet, go for it. It sure will work. A good example of how dumb people can be.

No one is saying that you can eat unlimited food, in fact one of the criticisms of the keto lifestyle is how obsessively people start tracking their macro consumption. You sound like someone who overheard a conversation about keto once and then fabricated an arguement around that rather than try to educate your self. But to refute your point there IS science behind the keto diet as referenced a few posts above.

2 minutes ago, barky bark said:

No one is saying that you can eat unlimited food, in fact one of the criticisms of the keto lifestyle is how obsessively people start tracking their macro consumption. You sound like someone who overheard a conversation about keto once and then fabricated an arguement around that rather than try to educate your self. But to refute your point there IS science behind the keto diet as referenced a few posts above.

Post number 88 above...

"and the best part is I can eat all the bacon and eggs I want"

I don't have to worry about it. Its not my food plan. The people doing this keto stuff are overweight and out of shape. But it is this weeks fad.

why bother for Pattaya?  for your long term health yes but for the pattaya gals wtf they only want to see the weight of your wallet:)

I don't believe there's any harm in folks relating what works for them.

Lecturing others on the basis of some pseudo science seems kind of dumb to me, but I also doubt anyone will take seriously the advice offered. I suppose a kinder interpretation is that some people are so enthusiastic about their diet and exercise plan they just want to spread the word.

It seems keto may be out of fashion in the media this week (but that's only this week!).

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/aug/16/both-low-and-high-carb-diets-can-raise-risk-of-early-death-study-finds

• Like 2