The Sly Fox

KL & Malacca hotel/things to do suggestions

The Sly Fox

On route to Perth from BKK early Oct, I'm planning on stopping over in KL for about 1 week and having a few nights in KL, with a side trip for a couple nights to Malacca. I'll be travelling with my Thai tirak so not interested in any mongering, not really interested in any raging/bars/clubs, just evening meals with a few coldies in some night markets or street food places. We're not shoe-string but not loaded either, so looking for mid-range hotels, would prefer smaller hotels with some character. 

What would be the best areas for us to start looking at? Any hotel recommendations for us?

keepitfun

Malacca is great, I normally stayed at a golf club outside town.  There are some interesting old Portuguese style buildings in the old part of town and the river / harbour is nice to get some pics.  Old part of town has a museum and antique / junk shops that are good for a look.

My last trip to KL...stayed at the park royal in Bukit Bintang.  Close to monorail, shops and some closed off open air food streets at night. Went to the zoo, petronas tower and butterfly park....had my daughter in tow.

The Sly Fox
1 hour ago, keepitfun said:

Malacca is great, I normally stayed at a golf club outside town.  There are some interesting old Portuguese style buildings in the old part of town and the river / harbour is nice to get some pics.  Old part of town has a museum and antique / junk shops that are good for a look.

My last trip to KL...stayed at the park royal in Bukit Bintang.  Close to monorail, shops and some closed off open air food streets at night. Went to the zoo, petronas tower and butterfly park....had my daughter in tow.

Many thanks for your reply. I'm a keen photographer, so Malacca sounds good. I have been there once before but way back in the early 1980s so can't really remember that much. I've been to KL many times but only stay in the airport for a couple hours, that's why this time I want to go outside. I had a look at park Royal but it's a bit too pricey for me, I like to keep it around 150 malaysian ringgit if possible. I'll do some internet searches for hotels soon...Thanks again.