Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Caddies going through your golf bag...and other gripes

LOTTELLEE WINNA

23 hours ago, Tripp said:

Yes, Lottellee Winna is not correct, not all courses require you to have a caddy. Only 99.99999% of them require a caddy. It is true, there are a handful of  ‘mini-golf’ courses (there is one outside Asia hotel with 9 very short par 3 holes), which don’t require a caddy. 

If you want to be really pedantic about it, Royal Hua Hin (owned by the Singha corporation) permits Singha employees who are under 23 to play after 4pm on week-days without a caddy.

The truth remains that with these minor exceptions all Thai golf courses require every golfer to hire a caddy.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

Yes, Lottellee Winna is not correct, not all courses require you to have a caddy. Only 99.99999% of them require a caddy. It is true, there are a handful of  ‘mini-golf’ courses (there is one outside Asia Hotel with 9 very short par 3 holes), which don’t require a caddy. 

If you want to be really pedantic about it, Royal Hua Hin (owned by the Singha corporation) permits Singha employees who are under 23 to play after 4pm on week-days without a caddy.

The truth remains that with these minor exceptions all Thai golf courses require every golfer to hire a caddy.

The Royal Bangkok Golf Club, an international course,  also does not require you to have a caddie. Played there a while ago with a group of friends and we took carts but no caddies.  I don't need to quote percentages that are not possible to evidence for forum members, the fact is that not all golf courses in LOS require you to have a caddie, which is the statement you originally made. 

13 minutes ago, Tripp said:

The Royal Bangkok Golf Club, an international course,  also does not require you to have a caddie. Played there a while ago with a group of friends and we took carts but no caddies.  I don't need to quote percentages that are not possible to evidence for forum members, the fact is that not all golf courses in LOS require you to have a caddie, which is the statement you originally made. 

You are giving readers the impression that the use of caddies in Thailand is not compulsory, whereas they most emphatically are. Yes, you have identified a couple of 'mini-golf' courses where they are not and you have now mentioned Royal Bangkok.

You are reluctant to quote a percentage figure where caddies are required. I am happy to do so - and that figure is 99.9999%. I evidence this by the fact that i have played (almost) all the courses around Pattaya/Rayong and Chonburi province, in Phuket, Chiang Mai, throughout Issan province (Udon, Nong Khai, Khon Khaen), all/most the couses around Khow Yai and a couple of courses in Hua Hin. In playing this wide range of courses at a rate of 3 times a week, 52 weeks a year (for the last 6 years) I have played approaching 1,000 rounds of golf - in all cases caddies are compulsory.

Almost without exception, having a caddy is compulsory in Thailand. I wish I was incorrect as i really don't want or need them....unfortunately their compulsory use is a fact of life here, an unnecessary cost, a 'tax on golf'.  

32 minutes ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

You are giving readers the impression that the use of caddies in Thailand is not compulsory, whereas they most emphatically are. Yes, you have identified a couple of 'mini-golf' courses where they are not and you have now mentioned Royal Bangkok.

You are reluctant to quote a percentage figure where caddies are required. I am happy to do so - and that figure is 99.9999%. I evidence this by the fact that i have played (almost) all the courses around Pattaya/Rayong and Chonburi province, in Phuket, Chiang Mai, throughout Issan province (Udon, Nong Khai, Khon Khaen), all/most the couses around Khow Yai and a couple of courses in Hua Hin. In playing this wide range of courses at a rate of 3 times a week, 52 weeks a year (for the last 6 years) I have played approaching 1,000 rounds of golf - in all cases caddies are compulsory.

Almost without exception, having a caddy is compulsory in Thailand. I wish I was incorrect as i really don't want or need them....unfortunately their compulsory use is a fact of life here, an unnecessary cost, a 'tax on golf'.  

whatever dude

I just don't get golf. I think I would save my money for less boring activities, like chasing pussy. 

Ah but pussy would get boring if that's all you did. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

On the subject of caddies i wonder whether a large group like PSC or IPGC and the asian groups could lobby the golf courses. "Make caddies optional or we play elsewhere"

The problem is the PSC organisers are too sleepy to have the motivation to do something like that.

4 hours ago, Tripp said:

whatever dude

Having said all we have said, I do like a pretty caddie by my side.  The girl caddies  are pretty too  :Number1a:

12 minutes ago, Tripp said:

Having said all we have said, I do like a pretty caddie by my side.  The girl caddies  are pretty too  :Number1a:

Now that’s something we can definitely agree on.

A311EB7D-43E4-4FDC-A2C9-31C2BA9994D5.jpeg

1 minute ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

A311EB7D-43E4-4FDC-A2C9-31C2BA9994D5.jpeg

Oh yes. Would'nt do my golf game any good having them around .

A311EB7D-43E4-4FDC-A2C9-31C2BA9994D5.jpeg.f4d84b3dcfca63cecdf3839946206631.jpeg
What course are they from?

Sent from my SM-T719 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Maninmanama said:

What course are they from?

Sent from my SM-T719 using Tapatalk

I don’t think they are real caddy pictures. Think they are promo shots for Thaigerline Golf.

7 hours ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

I have played approaching 1,000 rounds of golf

You must be like shit off a shovel with that golf club .

i bet you could give Jimmy Tarbuck a good game 555

3 minutes ago, Pheat said:

You must be like shit off a shovel with that golf club .

i bet you could give Jimmy Tarbuck a good game 555

I’m about as useful at golf as a one-legged man at an arse living contest. Still a mid handicap hacker :Hair_Out1:

My buddy is very good, 3 handicap, his advice is that with my swing, my game is really never going to get any better - but that I should focus on improving my chipping and putting. Is that a compliment? 55555

On 16/04/2018 at 15:39, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

When I first arrived in LoS I loved the idea of caddies. I was living in Patts for a month or two at a time, and then commuting to Sydney where I was earning big bucks. Golfing is expensive in Patts, but I didn't really care too much as money wasn't an issue. For the last 4 years, I have been mostly retired and see golf through the eyes of an Expat and not as a holidaymaker. In making this transition my attitude towards caddies has changed - previously they were seen as part of the holiday package, whereas now, I just view them as a 'tax on golf'.

Worse still some of them are a real pain - talking or walking while a golfer is playing a shot, or looking at Facebook when they should be focused on your ball flight. Recently a mate of mine had 3,000THB taken  from his wallet which was in his bag - yes he also bears responsibility for being daft enough to leave his wallet there. Today, I tried to draw a tee shot around a dogleg, only for my draw to turn into a hook....result lost ball. I go to reach for another ball, only to find the caddy handing me one which she took (unknown by me) from my bag. I wasn't happy and yap yapped her in Thai.

Yes, I know it's a bit of a rant, but I personally would be much happier to play without having a caddy. Anyone else feel like-wise?

NB. I know there are some top caddies out there. Where possible, I book them as regulars - and tip them generously.

hi ive played golf on my trip (one a year) for the last 6 or so years and generally have found them to be pretty good, particularly reading the line on puts, however they can be a bit of a nuisance at times, always handing you the driver on a tee shot (save for par 3's) and particularly nearish the greens when you want multiple clubs to choose from, best way ive found is to instruct them at the start of the round to be prepared to bring several clubs say from sand wedge to 7 iron for chips and short pitches to the green, to save themselves from running back and forth to the buggy

i think the expat players who play regularly at numerous courses get familiar with the best caddies and actually ring them to tell them they are on the way, all in all despite one or two exceptions the caddies ive had have been ok.

Cheers  Beet

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, beethoven said:

hi ive played golf on my trip (one a year) for the last 6 or so years and generally have found them to be pretty good, particularly reading the line on puts, however they can be a bit of a nuisance at times, always handing you the driver on a tee shot (save for par 3's) and particularly nearish the greens when you want multiple clubs to choose from, best way ive found is to instruct them at the start of the round to be prepared to bring several clubs say from sand wedge to 7 iron for chips and short pitches to the green, to save themselves from running back and forth to the buggy

i think the Expat players who play regularly at numerous courses get familiar with the best caddies and actually ring them to tell them they are on the way, all in all despite one or two exceptions the caddies ive had have been ok.

Cheers  Beet

All good comments, of which I agree wholeheartedly. A couple of caveats though. First is that most, but not all of the caddies don’t really know the first thing about golf (there are notable exceptions ‘Boy’ at Burapha and Jai at Ubonratdam...both good players), but many caddies really aren’t knowledgeable. This does vary though,better courses tend to have bettercaddy training

In terms of giving instructions, I speak some Thai and even I don’t always find it straightforward....many caddies don’t speak any/much English. Funny story - I’m drawn one day to play with a dude with a short fuse, we are approaching the 17 th green and he is considering whether to chip and run or flop it on. His caddy has put the golf trolley on the far side of the green (near the 18th tee to make life easy for herself), she is walking back with only a pitching wedge and putter. The dude still doesn’t know what club he wants so he shouts, ‘bring the bag over’.The caddy looks bemused and I tell him that the caddy is young and doesn’t speak a word of English. Ignoring me, he just repeats his instructions at a higher decibel. I say, try a bit of Thai, so he thinks and shouts ‘toong, toong, bring the fookin toong’. 

Now me and the caddies are pissing ourselves laughing. I ask him if he has learned the word ‘toong’ from his wife when out shopping. He says yes, it means ‘bag’...I reply it means plastic carrier bag, (he should have asked for krapow golf). At least the humiliation cooled his temper a bit.

A guy in our golf group got banned for a month for caddy abuse, one particular round with him he went through 4 caddies. Sacked 2 and 1 quit. Obviously has mental issues

Just back In town after 7 days playing up in Khao Yai and then Kabin buri. I find it very off putting having a caddy for my first round when I arrive in the country. Over in Scotland we just don’t use them or have them at the local courses. 

I was hearing a story on the trip about two guys who brought their Thai girls up to Khao Yai and they came on the course for a round to see what a golf course looked like. I personally think it was to check up on the guys haha. Anyway someone said they hadn’t been briefed by there guys to keep the noise down and simple behaviour. They where causing so much noise fucking about by the lake next to a green that the person playing in the group,lots the plot and screamed at them to “shut the fuck up”. They didn’t come the following day. 

I was very lucky with my caddies over the past 7 days they did as requested,yardish,hazards,line when asked and hand me the club I ask for. Have had one previous who when I asked for a 5 iron said no think 6 iron. I was polite and nice in the way I told her I tell you club and you hand it to me.

btw if you get up to Khao Yai make sure you play Rancho what a brilliant golf course. Actually they where all very good!! Also Kabin buri has a very decent course and the Serenity hotel I have never experience such high customer service! 

CE8C66D5-5765-421A-B56A-24395536C352.jpeg

5425C263-1562-4FFD-A65A-B1003584D2A2.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Joethescot said:

Just back In town after 7 days playing up in Khao Yai and then Kabin buri. I find it very off putting having a caddy for my first round when I arrive in the country. Over in Scotland we just don’t use them or have them at the local courses. 

I was hearing a story on the trip about two guys who brought their Thai girls up to Khao Yai and they came on the course for a round to see what a golf course looked like. I personally think it was to check up on the guys haha. Anyway someone said they hadn’t been briefed by there guys to keep the noise down and simple behaviour. They where causing so much noise fucking about by the lake next to a green that the person playing in the group,lots the plot and screamed at them to “shut the fuck up”. They didn’t come the following day. 

I was very lucky with my caddies over the past 7 days they did as requested,yardish,hazards,line when asked and hand me the club I ask for. Have had one previous who when I asked for a 5 iron said no think 6 iron. I was polite and nice in the way I told her I tell you club and you hand it to me.

btw if you get up to Khao Yai make sure you play Rancho what a brilliant golf course. Actually they where all very good!! Also Kabin buri has a very decent course and the Serenity hotel I have never experience such high customer service! 

CE8C66D5-5765-421A-B56A-24395536C352.jpeg

5425C263-1562-4FFD-A65A-B1003584D2A2.jpeg

Yes mate, RanchonCharnavee is a top course...as is of course Khow Yai/Mission Hills. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Thanks for this - I used to play the Honda LPGA once near Pattaya but I wasn’t aware caddies are mandatory. It was extremely hot and I was glad the girl was running all over the course to keep me on track but of course the above stories would also make me annoyed.

Are there any known “good” caddy wise courses?

23 hours ago, tandor_80 said:

Thanks for this - I used to play the Honda LPGA once near Pattaya but I wasn’t aware caddies are mandatory. It was extremely hot and I was glad the girl was running all over the course to keep me on track but of course the above stories would also make me annoyed.

Are there any known “good” caddy wise courses?

Normally, the better the course the better the caddy training. I rate the Burapha caddies quite highly. Also I have never had a poor caddy at Khao Keeow. My least favorite course for caddies is Plutaluang (Navy course). If possible ask the group your playing with if they have any caddy recommendations. If you get a good one, get her number and contact her before your next round.

On 4/18/2018 at 09:52, Biennial said:

I just don't get golf. I think I would save my money for less boring activities, like chasing pussy. 

It's one of very few sports where winning (without cheating) depends entirely on your own skill,  rather than interfering with your opponent.  If you win,  it's because you played better than the other guy,  not because you got in his way,  or kicked his ball aside after he hit it, or pushed him over.

For some of us that's an appealing concept.

That said,  I'm still a lousy player and hardly ever win.

Normally, the better the course the better the caddy training. I rate the Burapha caddies quite highly. Also I have never had a poor caddy at Khao Keeow. My least favorite course for caddies is Plutaluang (Navy course). If possible ask the group your playing with if they have any caddy recommendations. If you get a good one, get her number and contact her before your next round.

Thank you for the recommendations.

On 4/18/2018 at 18:55, scubascuba3 said:

A guy in our golf group got banned for a month for caddy abuse, one particular round with him he went through 4 caddies. Sacked 2 and 1 quit. Obviously has mental issues

I hope you banned the guy from playing golf with your group in future.  A guy like that can eventually get your entire group a bad reputation.  Personally I'd never play twice with someone so mental they actually sacked 2 caddies and had one quit in the same round.

I hope you banned the guy from playing golf with your group in future.  A guy like that can eventually get your entire group a bad reputation.  Personally I'd never play twice with someone so mental they actually sacked 2 caddies and had one quit in the same round.

He eventually moved away to Isaan, extreme slow play was another of his faults

31 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, fatjack1 said:

He eventually moved away to Isaan, extreme slow play was another of his faults

It's sad when people are so emotional or angry on a golf course and they can't stop it.  Probably should try another past time.  Golf IS frustrating for even the better players.

17 hours ago, fatjack1 said:

It's sad when people are so emotional or angry on a golf course and they can't stop it.  Probably should try another past time.  Golf IS frustrating for even the better players.

Very true The best player in our group is off 3 (and he is improving- I can see him making scratch one day)...but he gets very frustrated if he has an off day. No tantrums or ungentlemanly coduct, but you can see the bad shots getting to him. The rest of us are mostly mid/high handicap rabbits...so I always say to the 3 marker ‘any of us would kill for your off day’. Puts things in perspective. 

Archived