Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Dollhouse XXX | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Dan About Thailand | Add your Text or Event here 

jed§

Best and most affordable

jed§

This is going to be a big ask, but if anyone can help, recommend somewhere which fits this criteria. I'm planning to come in November, 2 to 3 weeks and I'll have to be very careful with money, so I need to stay somewhere reasonably inexpensive, eg.

1. Max. price, on average, 500 a night/day and preferably lower, for instance, £10 gbp a day or 420 baht, even less would be great.

2. Within range of the centre - I'm not too clear on this, but if there's a circle/radius from Mikes Mall to Big C and round that's my distance. Let's say any distance from Mike's of a 2 mile radius. 3rd road area is fine., but I don't like Jomtien.

3. Room with good internet connection, not off/on like I've had before, decent shower (again water consistent and not off/on like I've had before) and safe in room, with a balcony preferably. Big TV in room.

4. Facilities in room - I'd like to be able to make real coffee and some simple meals - microwave, kettle, sink - so minimalist kitchen - this will cut down on some costs.

5. Peace - finally I don't want somewhere just above or near a bar or even in a noisy area. I've had this before and it's a nightmare for me. I want to be able to sleep daytime sometimes and even be in bed by 11 pm occasionally and get to sleep. 

Am I asking too much? Any suggestions anyone?

LOTTELLEE WINNA

Pattaya room prices are about the lowest on the planet....but your really pushing hard when your down at 420THB. This is particularly true when you add in all the 'must haves' you want. 

The best I can come up with are the small rooms at Boomerang guest house. Only one soi from  the middle of the action. The small rooms are tremendous value at 500THB, comfy bed, spotlessly clean, small rooms at building rear - so quiet, excellent internet. The one thing it doesn't have is cooking facilities - but there are a myriad of cheap eating options falang and thai closeby (eg tin Cup for affordable Thai grub  and backpackers for a cheap full english).

jed§
3 hours ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

your really pushing hard when your down at 420THB. This is particularly true when you add in all the 'must haves' you want. 

I think so too, Lottellee, thanks for the heads up about Boomerang - the kitchen thing is mainly, for me, about making real coffee. I can easily spend a lot on it in Pattaya - they're the same price there as coffee where I live in the UK so I easily spend £10 a day on them in Pattaya. I get it about the cheap eating places though I know of them too and eat street food sometimes when I'm there. I also like a boiled egg every morning.

I might be gullible but other people I meet there tell me they're staying somewhere for 400 - 450 a night, usually, they say, because they've haggled and gone on-spec or called the place from home without booking in advance from a website.Mind you, I get sucked in when some tell me they've had an LT with an insomnia stunner for 1000 baht.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

serious leg work to find a place

I know that's a good idea and I've done it on the ground, but never found anywhere suitable - laziness and caving in are my downfalls. I was just wondering if anyone knows anywhere that's all. How about a condo?

Edited by jed§

jed§

How about one of the Sois which are off 3rd road on the other side of it to the beech direction? From opposite Chaiyapoon right up to Big C for instance. I've walked down them and there appear to be a lot of places to stay there. Surely, there must be something there that someone has stayed in. 

Scuba+
- the kitchen thing is mainly, for me, about making real coffee. I can easily spend a lot on it in Pattaya - they're the same price there as coffee where I live in the UK so I easily spend £10 a day on them in Pattaya

The Thai places for coffee are far cheaper than Starbucks, circ 35-50 baht vs 110+ baht. I used to go Starbucks twice a day, now never.

jed§
17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The Thai places for coffee are far cheaper than Starbucks, circ 35-50 baht vs 110+ baht. I used to go Starbucks twice a day, now never.

Really? In Pattaya? Is it instant or real? I know I can get a cafe bulan in markets in various towns outside the big cities form stalls and it's gorgeous, but I haven't seen anywhere in Pattaya which serves real coffee for 35 - 50 baht. Where?

Ron Rat

You can buy a basic kettle (electric) for 350 baht. Enough for a few cups and you could probably boil an egg in it. Leave it with your last barfine or as a tip to the maid.

Your problem is going to be your short stay. A few places behind Buffall bar off 3rd road towards Bongkot might do but they want a months rent. 10000 a  month with communal pool and seperate bedroom, balcony, furnished, kitchen. A safe well you might get lucky.  Wifi is available everywhere free in bars, cafes etc,.

If you want rockbottom rates you will be lucky to get the lot for only 3 weeks.

Scuba+
Really? In Pattaya? Is it instant or real? I know I can get a cafe bulan in markets in various towns outside the big cities form stalls and it's gorgeous, but I haven't seen anywhere in Pattaya which serves real coffee for 35 - 50 baht. Where?

Benjamet is the no.1 coffee shop for expats I'd say. Other coffee shops use their beans. Off of Soi Buakhao. Americana is 50, i think a latte is 60. Pastries are very good, i go for the Almond Croissant at 35 baht.

https://goo.gl/maps/iKfYD2r1nyk

It's a well kept secret don't tell anyone.

Ying coffee on Soi 15 Buakhao (wooden booth thing), 40 baht.

I noticed in Big C Extra Klang by the food court a small coffee kiosk/shop selling coffee at 35 baht

taylor1975
2 hours ago, jed§ said:

There's a teeny tiny coffee shop on soi honey. The guy does a quality caramel mocha frappe. About 60b. 

electro

whats the point of a vacation if you are that worried about money ,you dont have to stay at the Hilton ,but 500 a day does not get a quality room .maybe 700 and up you can get a nice guesthouse

Patts Luver

I stayed once in a condo, city garden pratumnak, and paid 350/day incl. water and electricity, but it's far from the action in the city. you would need a motorbike.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15257280

cg1.jpg

cg2.jpg

cg3.jpg

Edited by Patts Luver

jed§
12 hours ago, Patts Luver said:

I stayed once in a condo, city garden pratumnak, and paid 350/day incl. water and electricity, but it's far from the action in the city. you would need a motorbike.

Now that sounds good. Pratanmuk isn't that far away and it will be peaceful. I'll consider it.

jed§
13 hours ago, electro said:

whats the point of a vacation if you are that worried about money ,you dont have to stay at the Hilton ,but 500 a day does not get a quality room .maybe 700 and up you can get a nice guesthouse

I get your point, electro. I didn't want to muddy the waters by explaining why I wanted somewhere to stay on the cheap side. But since you've asked! Without going  in to too much explanation, I have to go to Thailand this year; I don't really, really want to, but not going will probably cause more problems than going yet struggling to pay for it. I don't like having any credit card debt, so using that isn't something I want to do. One of the reasons I'm looking for 'cheap' is that I'm a bit strapped for cash right now. The air fare will clean me out in terms of my current savings (as long as I get a flight for £400 or under) and then I'd have to start saving for the actual trip. The most I can realistically save from now till then is around £1000 (and that would be a struggle) which isn't much when somewhere to stay is included. In fact, it's just over 1500 baht per day for 3 weeks, that's if I can get somewhere to stay for 475 baht a day on average. I've never, ever spent only 1500 baht or less a day when I've been to Patts. And I'm not even taking into account travel within Thailand, which I will need to do at some stage.

Edited by jed§

mixedberrys

It always amazes me that in Pattaya you can get a meal in a Thai restaurant  for less than a coffee at Starbucks yet Starbucks always seems to be busy. 

Scuba+
It always amazes me that in Pattaya you can get a meal in a Thai restaurant  for less than a coffee at Starbucks yet Starbucks always seems to be busy. 
Mostly tourists, that home from home feeling. The Starbucks on Beach Road soi 13/1 is nowhere near as busy as it was a few years ago, so maybe its declining

jed§
7 hours ago, mixedberrys said:

But there isn't the same view of the comings and goings on Beech Rd as there is from Starbucks there. It's a convenient spot for dropping into after a stint or between stints on the beach. It's interesting to see how the girls operate from that vantage point and actually I've taken a few back after a 'Starbucks recce' and sometimes it was a good plan. I've never seen the S/bucks at the Avenue busy, If only, if only Thai restaurants the cheaper ones would just make a cafetiere of real coffee.... surely they don't have to buy one of those massively expensive coffee makers. I've had a few cafe bulans (it's the one they squeeze through a stocking and it's amazing coffee) in cheap Thai cafes and restaurants in the country. Why not Pattaya?

Scuba+
But there isn't the same view of the comings and goings on Beech Rd as there is from Starbucks there. It's a convenient spot for dropping into after a stint or between stints on the beach. It's interesting to see how the girls operate from that vantage point and actually I've taken a few back after a 'Starbucks recce' and sometimes it was a good plan. I've never seen the S/bucks at the Avenue busy, If only, if only Thai restaurants the cheaper ones would just make a cafetiere of real coffee.... surely they don't have to buy one of those massively expensive coffee makers. I've had a few cafe bulans (it's the one they squeeze through a stocking and it's amazing coffee) in cheap Thai cafes and restaurants in the country. Why not Pattaya?
I stopped going to that Beach road starbucks, although best location i got fed up with the people sitting out the front without buying anything plus the wiffy Indians standing next door. One guy would go to 7-11 next door, fill up his flask and sit back down at Starbucks. Top tip for CCs

bbbz
On 4/15/2018 at 22:13, jed§ said:

Am I asking too much? Any suggestions anyone?

Yes, asking too much but if you find it pls post address and pics!

I suggest you charm a top notch gogo girl who stays at her fallangs condo while he is away.

Bring your own french press and coffee to save some baht.

ub6daveb9
15 hours ago, jed§ said:

I get your point, electro. I didn't want to muddy the waters by explaining why I wanted somewhere to stay on the cheap side. But since you've asked! Without going  in to too much explanation, I have to go to Thailand this year; I don't really, really want to, but not going will probably cause more problems than going yet struggling to pay for it. I don't like having any credit card debt, so using that isn't something I want to do. One of the reasons I'm looking for 'cheap' is that I'm a bit strapped for cash right now. The air fare will clean me out in terms of my current savings (as long as I get a flight for £400 or under) and then I'd have to start saving for the actual trip. The most I can realistically save from now till then is around £1000 (and that would be a struggle) which isn't much when somewhere to stay is included. In fact, it's just over 1500 baht per day for 3 weeks, that's if I can get somewhere to stay for 475 baht a day on average. I've never, ever spent only 1500 baht or less a day when I've been to Patts. And I'm not even taking into account travel within Thailand, which I will need to do at some stage.

Why not just buy a cheap tent and set it up on the beach

Will be about as cheap as you can get 

Start a fire for cooking and coffee:Bravo1:

jed§

I've noticed from the last 2 posts that this topic has descended into a piss take (probably rightly so) and so that's it for me....I'll take my chances once I get there

bbbz

Just kidding, but seriously stay home until you can afford a proper trip with realistic expectations.

You seem to have too many problems, and by nature us guys are problem solvers but its depressing.

jed§

I've made a few decisions on this one and done some more research. Firstly, I've changed my mind set about not really wanting to go, so that was easy. I now want to go and I'm looking forward to it. Second, after looking through the websites, I can get what I want for between £275 and £350 for 21 days -  quite a lot of  places within a mile of the centre - that's between 600 and 700 bt a day approx. 

Canterbury Tales might have something even cheaper and I've stayed there before - it's a good place but might be too noisy for me this time. Agreed, then, my 500 limit was pie in the sky. So, why the change? I did a thorough analysis of my finances and I can do that without going into credit card debt, by saving £250 - £300 a month from now till then; not difficult. 

On 22/04/2018 at 22:53, bbbz said:

You seem to have too many problems, and by nature us guys are problem solvers

Agree partly with you there, bbbz. We solve problems differently, I guess. My way seems to be to view the worst case scenario and go from there. I don't know if it works, but I know that's what I often do. 

standard

English Rose , guest house , fine place to stay in the action ,Alan the English owner very welcoming , for cheap one of my best picks,go to the site..

Zeb
On 4/20/2018 at 02:06, jed§ said:

How about one of the Sois which are off 3rd road on the other side of it to the beech direction? From opposite Chaiyapoon right up to Big C for instance. I've walked down them and there appear to be a lot of places to stay there. Surely, there must be something there that someone has stayed in. 

Canterbury Tales on Soi Chaiyapoon have advertised rooms that look very good @ B500 per night.

I haven't actually seen the rooms or stayed there though.

Edited by Zeb