sydney_guy

Looking for a data-only SIM card

sydney_guy

I have an unlocked Pocket WiFi (aka WiFi dongle). 

I want to get a data-only SIM card (no calls) for use, month by month. 

I use about 20Mb/month, no music, no video downloads, no social media.

Looking at the AIS, True and DTAC site, I don't see such a thing.

Is anyone wiser about this than I am?

Thanks

Kane137

You can get a AIS SIM 1Mb speed, unlimited data, for 300B pm. They'll initially set it up in a phone but there's nothing to stop you removing it then using in your WiFi dongle.

Wolf Cat

Just out of curiosity, have you gone to the AIS, True or DTAC shops and asked them directly?  In the past I've gotten packages mainly used for data but they still came with a phone number.

sydney_guy
2 hours ago, Wolf Cat said:

Just out of curiosity, have you gone to the AIS, True or DTAC shops and asked them directly?  In the past I've gotten packages mainly used for data but they still came with a phone number.

I'm not in Pattaya right now... I spend intervals there, next period in Pattaya will start in a few weeks.

NotASexTorist
On 26/03/2018 at 00:40, sydney_guy said:

I have an unlocked Pocket WiFi (aka WiFi dongle). 

I want to get a data-only SIM card (no calls) for use, month by month. 

I use about 20Mb/month, no music, no video downloads, no social media.

Looking at the AIS, True and DTAC site, I don't see such a thing.

Is anyone wiser about this than I am?

Thanks

20 MB is not very much. :) Did you mean GB? Hard to use that much without accessing music, video downloads and social media.

Perhaps you can clarify your usage in order to get properly tailored advice. How long and how fast?

No need for a data only SIM, as all SIM will work within a MiFi. You need only apply a suitable data package.

sydney_guy
On 4/5/2018 at 17:49, NotASexTorist said:

20 MB is not very much. :) Did you mean GB? Hard to use that much without accessing music, video downloads and social media.

Perhaps you can clarify your usage in order to get properly tailored advice. How long and how fast?

No need for a data only SIM, as all SIM will work within a MiFi. You need only apply a suitable data package.

Yes, my mistake... 20Gb...

I do not download music or video, and do not use social media, but do a lot of research on mostly text-based sites, and do downloads of PDFs etc

NotASexTorist

A 30  day 4 Mbps AIS package for 481.5 baht seems good enough for your needs.  4 Mbps is around 30 MB per minute, so not too annoying waiting for PDFs to download.

Either pop the SIM into a phone and utilise *777*7155# after topping up 500 baht or do it directly via the MiFi connection; i.e. Top up the MiFi number with 500 baht, connect to the MiFi WiFi connection with phone or laptop and then navigate to http://m.ais.co.th/j7HqrbBUo?intcid=one_2_call-en-addon-Nonstop-Nonstop_4mb-450b_777_7155 and click the green button to confirm.

For a 6 Mbps connection for 588.5 baht, click here; http://m.ais.co.th/6mbps30Dais?intcid=one_2_call-en-addon-Nonstop-Nonstop_6mb-189b_777_7211

Which MiFi device do you hold?

sydney_guy
On 4/8/2018 at 19:32, NotASexTorist said:

A 30  day 4 Mbps AIS package for 481.5 baht seems good enough for your needs.  4 Mbps is around 30 MB per minute, so not too annoying waiting for PDFs to download.

Either pop the SIM into a phone and utilise *777*7155# after topping up 500 baht or do it directly via the MiFi connection; i.e. Top up the MiFi number with 500 baht, connect to the MiFi WiFi connection with phone or laptop and then navigate to http://m.ais.co.th/j7HqrbBUo?intcid=one_2_call-en-addon-Nonstop-Nonstop_4mb-450b_777_7155 and click the green button to confirm.

For a 6 Mbps connection for 588.5 baht, click here; http://m.ais.co.th/6mbps30Dais?intcid=one_2_call-en-addon-Nonstop-Nonstop_6mb-189b_777_7211

Which MiFi device do you hold?

An unlocked Telstra wifi USB dongle.  I believe it's a Huawei E8372

freedom42

http://www.11street.co.th/productdetail/best-seller-ซิมเทพ-net-true-4g-unlimit-5195372

• Sim net True Move H play as long as 1 year, about 4Mbps speed does not slow down. No need to top up.

(Must be registered SIM card before using at all branches)

• Details promotions 
    are SimTrueMove a prepaid Sim ... 
    - register your name So do not 
    - no money for 1 year 
    - Play free internet for 1 year from the date of registration, a confirmation SMS 
    - unlimited play. Is playing at all You can play it 
    fast. - Speed at 4Mbps DL / UL speed reduction. 
    - To call. True call top 1 baht / hour network 1 baht / minute 
    - after 1 year, the number is used. What is the best way to make a call with True after the pro? 
    - How to believe? After the activation of the SMS will be the first one from the True Center to confirm the number of people registered after that. SMS 2 to tell the details, the SMS 3 will tell you the promotion you pay for when the 4Mbps network speed is confirmed by True.
    - Both Android and ios 
    - Watch movies share Wifi comfortably offline.

•  

GreatThings

AIS now have a six month 6 Mbps pack for 1800 + VAT and a twelve month 6 Mbps pack for 3500 + VAT.

pasta man

Anybody have more info the 6 month ais package? Scanning their website I am have trouble finding it.

Never mind, found it after logging into myAIS or installing the ais app. It was 1800 baht including VAT for 6 months at 6 mbps.

Edited by pasta man

Scuba+
Anybody have more info the 6 month ais package? Scanning their website I am have trouble finding it.
Never mind, found it after logging into myAIS or installing the ais app. It was 1800 baht including VAT for 6 months at 6 mbps.
Options below. I prefer the unlimited data but restricted speed. Photos from Tukcom AIS desk2896136b2c450259963493d66c9d4a6c.jpgc1188234d944d5a71673ab1d1e289d40.jpg

pasta man

They don’t list the 6 month packages at the AIS store, but they did help me cancel my old plan and install the new plan. They had to install the ais app to do this. At 50% off the monthly rate it is a good deal.

Scuba+

Interesting, i didn't know you get a discount for 6 monthly

They don’t list the 6 month packages at the AIS store, but they did help me cancel my old plan and install the new plan. They had to install the ais app to do this. At 50% off the monthly rate it is a good deal.

GreatThings
On 5/3/2018 at 12:39, scubascuba3 said:

Interesting, i didn't know you get a discount for 6 monthly

On 5/3/2018 at 09:58, pasta man said:

The inclusive bit is a surprise to me. I expect it would be 1800 baht + 7% VAT. 1926 baht. 

Jackie2013

That 6 month package sounds great. Is it a pre-paid plan? I.e. me tops up and press a code? :)

pasta man
7 hours ago, GreatThings said:

The inclusive bit is a surprise to me. I expect it would be 1800 baht + 7% VAT. 1926 baht. 

I expected that as well, but I bought it and it was indeed 1800.

pasta man
4 hours ago, Jackie2013 said:

That 6 month package sounds great. Is it a pre-paid plan? I.e. me tops up and press a code? :)

Yes, prepaid plan. There is no code, but the AIS app, or the myAIS website has it when you log in.

GreatThings
7 hours ago, Jackie2013 said:

*777*7283# for 6 Mbps 6 month package. 1800 baht

*777*7284# for 6 Mbps 12 month package. 3500 baht

Alternatively;

http://m.ais.co.th/GAHPdw4FP for six month 6 Mbps package.

http://m.ais.co.th/j7HJd1oio for twelve month 6 Mbps package.

Oukiva
On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 05:15, Jackie2013 said:

You can get it from this page: https://m.ais.co.th/ontop-package-myais

(Press English top-right, then Unlimited max speed central column)

Personally looking for the AIS 12 Months, 4 Mbps, 2'500 Baht  :)

Jackie2013

Thanks all :)

I had this bookmarked since my last trip: https://m.ais.co.th/ontop-package

The URL is almost identical to yours, but it lacks several of the packages. 

Do you guys know why? 

I have a regular AIS Sim (perhaps 3 years old or so). Anything that says that my sim will not work with the 6 month / 6 mbit package? 

Marauder

Hi, i'm going to stay in TL for 6 months and need to get a new SIM card. I am planning to use

my phone as a wifi hotspot for my laptop, and use that for surfing/TV-shows/movies etc. 

I see packages that offer "unlimited internet", but still have a GB limit. Does this mean that

once that limit is passed, it is throttled to some bare minimum? I don't really need fantastic speeds,

but i do generally download 10-15GB of shows and movies every month. I have also heard that True

has the best network in TL, is this so or doesn't it really matter in a city like Pattaya?

Any tips or advice appreciated:)

Scuba+
Hi, i'm going to stay in TL for 6 months and need to get a new SIM card. I am planning to use
my phone as a wifi hotspot for my laptop, and use that for surfing/TV-shows/movies etc. 
I see packages that offer "unlimited internet", but still have a GB limit. Does this mean that
once that limit is passed, it is throttled to some bare minimum? I don't really need fantastic speeds,
but i do generally download 10-15GB of shows and movies every month. I have also heard that True
has the best network in TL, is this so or doesn't it really matter in a city like Pattaya?
Any tips or advice appreciated:)
This thread has the options

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/325459-sim-card-options-and-where-to-buy/&share_tid=325459&share_fid=42915&share_type=t