Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | ChicaCheck | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Question for Isaan Homeowners

Explorer8939

Actually, two:

how much to budget for acquisition of a decent house, and

can you put it in your name or a proxy other than your Thai lady friend?

My impression is that the most common approach to ownership is to put the house in the wife's name.

Depends where and what you term a decent house - Isaan is a big place. Buying land is cheap, and to build a decent 3 bed house will set you back 2-5 million depending upon spec and size. If you don't trust your "lady" enough for it to be in her name, then why would you even consider a house in isaan. Get a condo in Pattaya and rent in Isaan. 

Can't be in your name unless you lease the land for 30 years, and then build on it. Dodgy and open to local cops and officials on your case with their hands out all the time. Can be in a company or proxy's name, unless they sell ti from under you or yu get found out and then open to local cops and officials on your case with their hands out all the time. 

Unless its your dream to live there, then just buy a slightly better place than her parents live in already for a million and stick them in it. You can then stay well out of it in Pattaya. 

Why would I want to live in Isaan and not trust enough to put a house in a lady’s name?

what if I want to live alone in Isaan? What if expect the lady to leave but I still want to live in Isaan?

As for having a house in your name it is possible by forming a company and doing it that way.  No idea how you do it but know someone who has done it.

Costs vary so much from area to area and the one thing that is certain, prices are going up quite fast.  Building costs again are also going up but you can have a really nice house under 2,000,000 baht.

My house is in my wifes name or at least the land that it stands on is.  If I was to leave it now I would have saved a lot of money rather than paying rent in the UK so for me it had been a good thing.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Suppose it all boils down to costs in the end. Mate rents a place in a village in Isan for 3500 a month another mate rents at 5000 a month. Both cases they needed to buy some things like decent beds, tv, air con, washing machine, hot water, put in internet etc. If you leased land and built a house in a company name you would need to do the maths to see if worthwhile but a friend of mine has done this. 

Personally I could never live in Isan if I split with the gf. So many better places to live for me. Maybe better in the larger cities like Udon or Khon Khaen but again if I was to live in a city in Thailand it wouldn't be one in Isan.

Here ya go, this one cost 4.5M 10 years ago, the land cost 1.3M (636TW) and construction 3.2M. Its a farang house with all mod cons etc.

Its situated in the suburbs of a major Isaan city some 25 mins into the city. Its owned by my wifey and is in her name. I've been meaning to get a usafruct on it to protect my residence in the event of wifey's demise but as with most things i have'nt yet got round to it yet lol.

Hope this helps ya.

P1000670.JPG

Archived