IGNORED

Jetlag and Time Difference... how do you cope?

Gibsons1

I also travel from the US west coast.  The things that work for me are business class on the plane, with a sleeping pill.  I get a good 8 hrs on the plane.  The other thing I do is sleep at about 4pm for a couple of hours for the first 3 days.  I force myself to get up around 6pm, get a meal, then head out to the bars.  I usually arrive back at the hotel around midnight, usually with a TG for short time. After she leaves I have no problem sleeping the whole night. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, patman said:

I also travel from the US west coast.  The things that work for me are business class on the plane, with a sleeping pill.  I get a good 8 hrs on the plane.  The other thing I do is sleep at about 4pm for a couple of hours for the first 3 days.  I force myself to get up around 6pm, get a meal, then head out to the bars.  I usually arrive back at the hotel around midnight, usually with a TG for short time. After she leaves I have no problem sleeping the whole night. 

I did almost that to the tee, can't sleep the whole night.  Just takes me a few days...

The first 15 hour leg was terrible, got sleep here and there, all over the place.  Doesn't help that I was shoulder to shoulder stuck in the middle with 2 people, insanely cramped.  

Don't have the cash for Business class, so not an option for me.

I travel from Europe, so it's 11-16 hours, depending on the stopover (11 hours direct, if it's cheap enough). I rarely suffer from jet lag: 

• I set my watch the day before for the destination time and get to sleep on it's schedule
  • Avoid alcohol the day before and on the flight. Drink water to I won't feel dehydrated. 
  • Snag a spot next to a window so I can sleep. Shoes off, sleeping mask on, decent earplugs; try to get 4-6 hours (usually easily). 
  • This was key: Don't eat more than one meal - the one I wake up to...otherwise my body wants to stay awake and process it. 
  • Then stay on the destination clock for the arrival day: no naps, maybe a shower, and go light on food and especially alcoholic drink. In bed by 11pm the first night (note: never said alone) and I'm perfectly in sync the next day. 
  • From then on it's the party time schedule until the flight back, rinse and repeat. 

I really, REALLY try to get a non-stop if possible, but travelling some parts of the year can double the ticket prices. If I'm stuck in some dumpy airport for a few hours, I'll drink something like water or juice, try not to eat anything unless I'm really starved and then a little bite.

It took me a while to figure it out, but once I get fed, I'm always awake. Everyone has a different trigger, and this one is mine. If I don't eat, I tend to hibernate, and that works better for me at 40,000 feet. Your milage may vary. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think every individual is different so each person must find out what works for him or her.  My routine for traveling to Thailand is now always the same.

The start of my last trip was typical of all my trips in recent years.

5am - leave home to go to Manchester airport

5:45am - Check in and fast track though security

6:15am - Should now be in Terminal 1 proper and will walk through the terminal and head straight to the bar.  I am a bitter drinker so this is my last chance to have a drink of real ale bitter before flying of to Thailand.  I normally have 3 pints of bitter before boarding the plane

8:45 - My emirates flight takes of and its a 7 hour flight to Dubai.  I cannot sleep on the flight so I normally watch the inflight entertainment.  And I will have one or two alcoholic drinks during the flight.

19:45pm(local time) - Land at Dubai.  I normally sit at the front of economy. So I get of the flight very quickly and after getting through the security check I head straight to the bar.  And have a couple of pints of lager.  I am in Transit for 2 hours 50 minutes

22:35 -  Flight from Dubai to Bangkok takes off.  This is a 6 hour flight.  Again I cannot sleep so I will again watch the inflight entertainment and have one or two alcoholic drinks.

07:35 -  Plane lands at BKK airport.  Get of plane and get fast tracked through security so I'm one of the first to wait for luggage.

08:35 - I go looking for my taxi driver

10:35am - I arrive at my hotel.  And because I am at my hotel early I will check in and take my time unpacking in the room.  I will then go to my thai bank to get the money to pay for my hotel room and then go for some breakfast

2pm - I made my way to Soi 6 and have a couople of beers and ended up having a ST with a sexy young lady from Nature bar.  I then go back to my hotel and relax before going out an night.  I managed to stay out till 3am in the morning

Archived