Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | ChicaCheck | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Jetlag and Time Difference... how do you cope?

Gibsons1

I'm getting older and I find it a little challenging to get proper sleep at home when my routine is broken...  Last trip to Bangkok, there was 11 hours difference so it's practically flip flopped in sleeping patterns.

It took me the first 3 days to finally feel decent, then get used to the hot weather.  I think Jetlag really is a factor of the time difference unless it makes it worse.

Just wondering how you guys deal with Jetlag and time difference.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Australia to Europe is similar time difference. I do have a holiday in Europe two years out of three.

The key is not to sit around and think how awful you feel. Go for a good brisk walk in bright light - in LoS the sun usually shines - go light on alcohol, and have an early night or two.

Melatonin is a preparation which helps reset your body clock. In Thailand you can buy it in most pharmacies.

I find that business class and lie-flat seats helps enormously. Apart from that, time seems to do it. I just shorten or lengthen my nights by an hour or two a day until I've caught up with myself.

If you arrive during the day try not to be tempted to take a nap when you arrive, even if you feel tired, its best to try get into the local time zone as soon as possible, go out and try and go about things as normal!

I have travelled to Pattaya some 46 times since 1987 and only missed 1999 and 2009 so i am well used to 6 and 7 hours time differents does not affect me anymore. I have another trip in May/June for 1 month but do have to say i am getting older and starting to feel it taken a toll on the body. My first trip in 1987 i was just 40 but this year i will be 71 getting older by the hour, don't know what I'm going to do when i call it a day going back to my beloved Pattaya, starting to feel the pressure of all the travelling now this next trip could be my last but i said that 2 years ago and I'm still going back to Pattaya, i do stay at the Premier inn Heathrow outbound and inbound to catch up on sleep before departure to Thailand and again before i drive back to my home fully refreshed.

7 hours ago, Bonkabit said:

From Australia to Europe is similar time difference. I do have a holiday in Europe two years out of three.

The key is not to sit around and think how awful you feel. Go for a good brisk walk in bright light - in LoS the sun usually shines - go light on alcohol, and have an early night or two.

Melatonin is a preparation which helps reset your body clock. In Thailand you can buy it in most pharmacies.

What exactly does Melatonin do?  I've heard about it helps you sleep... never heard about the body clock.  Maybe I should research it.  Looks a little iffy.

I have used two methods in the past and both seem to work.

One,,,,  just plan to be up all night partying and carry on.  You are already opposite on schedule, just sleep in the day, play all night.

TWO,,,,,  I look at my arrival time in BKK.  I plan to well oversleep on the flight.  I am an easy sleeper, and a couple of ibuprofen make it easier.  As mentioned above, business class makes a huge difference as you can get comfortable and get sleep, even too much sleep.   This helps with us both, as I am also older.  More is better, less makes me cranky.  But plan that sleeping period so that you wake up at a time appropriate to BKK time.  If you do, it will make getting on schedule easier on the ground.  

Remember, you are essentially wasting time in the plane, which is a good time to waste.  Dont waste it on the ground, because ground time is very valuable time.  

6 hours ago, Gibsons1 said:

What exactly does Melatonin do?  I've heard about it helps you sleep... never heard about the body clock.  Maybe I should research it.  

I am not medically qualified so what I write is just what I have learned; you may be wise to get a professional check rather than rely on an anonymous member of a mongers' board!

Thee is a centre in the brain which is your body clock; it 'tells' you when it is time to get up, go to sleep and so forth. Flying long distances, with the time change, means the body clock takes time to adjust; some say one day for each hour of time change.

Melatonin acts on your body clock to 'reset' it sooner.

Suggest you read a bit and ask your GP to get expert advice.

I guess am lucky because my body adjusts very quickly to the change - the flight from the east coast of the US is murder -26hrs.

But once I get to patts the only thing on my mind is to hit the clubs --sleep always has to wait.

the next day I then have a full night's sleep but,  jetlag has never been an issue for me.

One the plane I try to sleep,  but it's near impossible so as some folks have mentioned in the past, I try to drink as much Liquid as possible.

Better to pay for a fantasy than lose to an illusion 

trips to Angeles city 2015/2016    best sexual experience    best condoms

8th  trip 7th trip  6th trip 5th trip micro trip  3rd trip  2nd trip   

maiden trip

trip to lagos

I did sleep very well on the plane, I took the Red Eye.  The first 15h leg went by fast as I slept a lot of it. But, there were times where it was loud on the plane (wind noise and such) and I frequently woke up, then went back to sleep. 

34 hours later (flight time + layover + time difference) I get to Bangkok then it's another hour to my hotel, it's steaming hot. Take a shower, pow - out like a light on the pillow.  It was in the afternoon so I stayed up that night and partied a bit.

It took about 3 days to flip my schedule and by day 4 it felt better.  I think the difference in Heat is huge as well, on day 3-4 I kept putting the AC on a higher number as I was getting cold in there. 

I was there 8 days so half of it I wasn't feeling the best, getting used to the time diff and climate.  I'm going to try to stay longer this time so I'll have more days where I actually feel good. 

I actually feel great when I get there, probably adrenaline. But when I come back home I feel like crap for about a week. I drink a lot in Pats(2 wks straight). I always go back to work my first day back home and the gym. But at night I can hardly stay awake. I might even go to bed 730 pm and wake up at 2 and stay up until I go to work. Its screwed up for a week. Don't have any special tricks. Just deal with it and time.

15 minutes ago, jamduf said:

I actually feel great when I get there, probably adrenaline. But when I come back home I feel like crap for about a week. I drink a lot in Pats(2 wks straight). I always go back to work my first day back home and the gym. But at night I can hardly stay awake. I might even go to bed 730 pm and wake up at 2 and stay up until I go to work. Its screwed up for a week. Don't have any special tricks. Just deal with it and time.

I'm guessing you are a younger guy... Adrenaline runs out and is good for short bursts.  Staying up all night on no sleep is a pipe dream when you get older unless you are a total superman type.  It gets harder once you age.  Back when I was 21 I used to party all night then go right to work and be able to handle it.  Can't do that anymore unless I want to collapse at my workplace.

31 minutes ago, Gibsons1 said:

I'm guessing you are a younger guy... Adrenaline runs out and is good for short bursts.  Staying up all night on no sleep is a pipe dream when you get older unless you are a total superman type.  It gets harder once you age.  Back when I was 21 I used to party all night then go right to work and be able to handle it.  Can't do that anymore unless I want to collapse at my workplace.

I'm 47. Not a superman. I workout at home, eat good in stretches, Don't party much. When I get to LOS, Its on, baby. Drunk every night and all the sex. don't know why but no problems when I get there. Notice I said when I get home I feel really bad and sluggish. So not that super lol.

4 hours ago, jamduf said:

I'm 47. Not a superman. I workout at home, eat good in stretches, Don't party much. When I get to LOS, Its on, baby. Drunk every night and all the sex. don't know why but no problems when I get there. Notice I said when I get home I feel really bad and sluggish. So not that super lol.

I had it the other way, felt really bad during the first part of the vacation... felt pretty good when getting back.  Normal temperatures may have played a role as well.  Got into a routine quicker.

I am at the stage of life that the time lost is more valuable to me than the money . So I get a business class overnight flight usually Eva or Thai air , get a decent sleep in a bed and arrive refreshed and ready to party . I find I lose no time on jet lag this way ,apart from I may have a tired felling by day three or four . Not sue if its jet lag or partying every night .

In the past always economy and I am usually well washed out for first three days and very tired . At my age I thinks no longer worth losing the days feeling grim . Pay up and go .

I don't sleep the night before I leave as most of the time I'm driving to the airport about 2:00 AM for a 6:00 flight to Thailand.

My first flight/leg of the trip is around 3 hours, maybe a drink on that flight and a couple on the 2 hour layover befor the long flight.

Like what was said, the business/first on the 14 hour flight helps, have a few glasses of wine before dinner, a couple with dinner and when finished, sleep for about 6 hours or so.  Relax  and a couple of drinks for the last 2 hour layover and on that last 6 hour flight, sleep a few more hours.

Arrive Bangkok about midnight, and straight to Pattaya from the airport. After checking into the hotel out for a hour or 2. Back to the hotel with hopefully a new friend for the rest of the evening. I try to get up and out about midmorning on the first day. Somehow for me this sets my inner clock on Thai time.

Now the return is a whole different story, it takes me about 3 nights sleep to readjust back to being back home.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

My routine for travelling 

I usually book an evening flight .

I have the dinner & glass of wine a pop a few sleeping pills. That sorts out the first leg.

I have a wash /shower before the second leg and change My clothes. It’s usually morning time in Abu Dhabi/ dubai 

i don’t sleep at all on the second leg and just watch tv, listen music and read.

most of the time I land in Pattaya around 8 or 9. 

I try and stay in that first night and get up early the next morning, so I can set the body clock . The TRY part is really hard  :-)

Take evening flight out bang a couple of Xanax sleep the whole way there.

Arrive Pattaya about 6pm get straight out amongst and don’t stop for 2 or 3 weeks.

Always take afternoon flight home. 

I don’t ever get jet lag it’s only 6 hours time difference for me though. 

1 hour ago, Bizface said:

Take evening flight out bang a couple of Xanax sleep the whole way there.

Arrive Pattaya about 6pm get straight out amongst and don’t stop for 2 or 3 weeks.

Always take afternoon flight home. 

I don’t ever get jet lag it’s only 6 hours time difference for me though. 

6 hours isn't in the same ballpark.  Some of us are flipping Day/Night, 11 and 12 hours. 

Hi Gibsons1 I'm 59 now so I'm not getting any younger but I was In Pattaya during December and when I arrived in Thailand I didnt suffer from Jetlag.  I live in England so the time difference was only 7 hours compared to your 11 hours.  So that might have made a difference.  I'm a regular visitor to Thailand so I've got myself into a regular routine and that might be helping me.

I always get a morning flight from England which means I get to BKK airport the following morning.  Last December my flight landed at 7:35am.  Most of the flights I book get me to BKK airport at around that time. So this means I usually get to my hotel in Pattaya between 10am and 11am.  And because I am at my hotel so early Ican take my time checking in and sorting out my clothes once I've got to my room.  I then like to freshen up so I'll take a shower and get changed.  And then I'll more than likely go and get a late breakfast before heading to Soi 6 in the afternoon for a ST.  After the ST I may go back to my hotel and have a rest before going out in the evening

How long are your flights from England?  I'm 19hrs+ in air, one layover was 4hrs going there.  I think you guys are much closer.  The amount of time on a plane must account for something as well.  I'm losing a day and a half when you factor in the time difference (going there anyway).

20 hours ago, Gibsons1 said:

How long are your flights from England?  I'm 19hrs+ in air, one layover was 4hrs going there.  I think you guys are much closer.  The amount of time on a plane must account for something as well.  I'm losing a day and a half when you factor in the time difference (going there anyway).

Flying direct.... about 11 hours or so, that will be a piece of cake to you Canadians, you guys from Canada and the USA are certainly dedicated! :D

You just have to endure those few days of jet lag because it is flip from day to night for your system.  My travel buddy likes to party immediately after arriving ( usually at night, from YYZ ) and I stay in and try to sleep.  It takes 3-5 days for me to stop feeling dizzy from the flight.  That is why it's important to stay at least 3 weeks.  The first week to get over jet lag and the last week mourning the fact I have to go home.  It's only in the middle there I really enjoy myself.  Luckily, the days seem to last longer in LOS 

I'm sort lucky that jetlag seems to only affect me when I fly east, for some reason.  So, being based near the west coast of the US, when I fly west to BKK, I'm ready to go when I land.  When returning home, it takes me about a week to get back to normal.  Obviously, this could all be influenced by my mood, i.e. excited that I'm back in Thailand when I go and the onset of depression when I return home.  But it also kicks in when I fly for business.  I fly to France every so often, and when I arrive, it takes me a few days to recover from the flight, but when I return home, I have no problems.

The only things that I have found that helps resets my clock quicker is 1 tablet of Melatonin on my first night.  That's all I can take, because that shit gives me some freaky dreams.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

Archived