IGNORED

Carry On Baggage vs Checked...

Gibsons1

I noticed when I traveled to Thailand one of the most aggravating things was waiting for 45 minutes at the conveyor to get my checked bag.  Apparently my proper sized carry on was 1 KG too heavy.  And make sure your suitcases aren't dark grey or black like 90% of the rest of travelers.

I went for 8 days and had about 9-10 days socks/underwear + 6-7 days shirts/shorts, toiletries, 15" Laptop, etc.

I think I'm going to buy a new smaller laptop, pack for about 5-6 days clothes and find a good place to do laundry.  Drop a kilo and get to Carry On my baggage will save me a lot of time and headache.

What do you guys pack?  Bottle of whiskey and a speedo?

folks either complain about the wait at immigration or grumble about the baggage claim. i know too many hungry falang expats to get away with hand luggage !

I did carry on last trip and it was so much more convenient. I also booked vip meet and greet so no waiting in line. Actally carry on saved my ass because I got to the airport late and made it just as the flight was almost done boarding. Easy to get your stuff laundered.

I have never had to wait for my luggage at BKK, as it takes so long to get through immigration, that its already sitting there on the caurosel, waiting to be picked up

1 hour ago, jaynewcastle said:

I have never had to wait for my luggage at BKK, as it takes so long to get through immigration, that its already sitting there on the caurosel, waiting to be picked up

I always have to wait for my checked baggage, as it's so fast to go through the nearly desert Immigration hall that most of times even Priority baggage didn't even start to arrive on the carousel...

Usually a 5-15 minutes wait. For 45 minutes they must have had some serious problem ??

Last 3 years arriving in mid-January about 12pm, the queue has been forming on the carpeted slope up to the immigration area, and its been a 40min wait or so

The immigration people obviously know theres a huge problem, but have done nothing about it at all, in my opinion

5 minutes ago, jaynewcastle said:

Last 3 years arriving in mid-January about 12pm, the queue has been forming on the carpeted slope up to the immigration area, and its been a 40min wait or so

The immigration people obviously know theres a huge problem, but have done nothing about it at all, in my opinion

If the first Immigration point is busy, walk a bit further to the second one - it may be a lot quieter.

I always go through priority lane, so takes 5 mins max, never had to wait that long for baggage. Time for a nice dump while waitng!

After a 12 hour flight a few minutes waiting for bags isn't a major issue for me. Easier on a long trip than trying to fit everything into a carry on - and I'm not a light traveller.

Its both for me, 2 checked bags and 2 carry-on bags.

I could care less about the wait at the luggage carousel, I just want my stuff with me that I might use.

BTW, I don't think I have every waited more than 10 or 15 minutes for my luggage coming off the conveyer.

A lot of times it is there waiting for me after clearing immigrations.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

I could care less about the wait at the luggage carousel, I just want my stuff with me that I might use.
BTW, I don't think I have every waited more than 10 or 15 minutes for my luggage coming off the conveyer.
LeoTex
How long is your holiday?

54 minutes ago, jaynewcastle said:

I already posted this pic last year from the Arrival Immigration Hall at about 10AM :

Officers were waiting for passengers :P

141.jpg

Just now, hioctane said:
6 minutes ago, LeoTex said:
LeoTex

How long is your holiday?

2 1/2 to 3 weeks. each trip.

Should have added sometimes it take about 1/2 of a carry-on to brings stuff for an expat or 2. One in particular, that works in a gogo on Soi 15 off WS.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

The only time I ever had to wait a long time for checked baggage is when it didn't show up .   45 minutes at the belt ?   Unlikely .

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

Allowing 2kg for toiletries and undies,  5kg will let you take about 500 condoms....

Total 7kg - the carry on limit...

"Disappointing girls one inch at a time"

Never had to wait long. But, nothing like going to the bag belt and not seeing your bag after all the other bags have arrived and the conveyor has stopped to help change from checking a bag in to carry on. Happened one of my trips last year and since that time I brought a regulation size carry on and a backpack. Should have been doing it all along!

There was a Thai airways rep there and she took me to their baggage office and tracked my bag, it didn't make my flight from HKG for some reason. She took my info, gave me their number and said they would call me when they located my bag. Surprised me when she told me they would deliver my bag to the hotel in Pattaya. I was thinking I would have to ask my friend Jack to drive me back to BKK when it arrived.

Good thing I had a small carry on with shorts, tee shirts, toiletries in it. They delivered it late afternoon the next day.

in 29 years once my checked luggage got wanderlust and went with quantas to sydney around 1990. and about 2 years ago it missed the connection on route to bkk...............which i made ok.................and was delivered to pattaya next day. other than that i think my longest wait was around a year ago at LHR T4 waiting around an hour for my luggage which had priority tags. !!!!!!

Always checked luggage, i always seem overpack anyway, i like a good choice of stuff to wear!

27 minutes ago, striderman said:

in 29 years once my checked luggage got wanderlust and went with quantas to sydney around 1990. and about 2 years ago it missed the connection on route to bkk...............which i made ok.................and was delivered to pattaya next day. other than that i think my longest wait was around a year ago at LHR T4 waiting around an hour for my luggage which had priority tags. !!!!!!

Every time I flew with Qantas my baggage missed the connection.  I now fly Thai...

"Disappointing girls one inch at a time"

The advice of checking the other immigration checkpoint was good 2-3 years ago, but no more. The lines are now even. They now have monitors at the entrance showing the lines at both checkpoints and if there is a significant imbalance the staff will redirect passangers from one checkpoint to another.

I have gone through immigration at bkk about 6 times over the last 2 months and it is always mobbed, irrespective of the time of the day. It takes at least 30 mins to get through, so the bag are already on the belt by the time it is done.

I agree that immigration has become a major issue at bkk- it is obvious that they need to staff more checkpoints, but are choosing not to do do.

I must have gotten through immigration quickly, waited for the baggage belt to start going and they were having problems... it took a while.

The waiting excessively came when I got to Toronto.  Waited forever for my bag, then for the airport shuttle to my car.  If I can lessen at least one wait time, it's progress.  I can always buy more underwear or get laundry done a couple times in Thailand.

I'd like to add that it's after 19 hours of flight time + 4hr layover so waiting gets to you.

Always have carry on bags.  I can pack enough clothes for a week in a standard roll on carry on bag.  Laundrirs are cheap so I get everything washed for the second week of the trip.  Always get a priority pass for customs, so I only wait around 5 minutes then straight out yo the taxi

I always do carry-on. A carry-on sized duffel and a laptop bag. Last trip was 3 months. Do laundry every 5 or 6 days, it's easy and cheap enough. 

I only do carry-on, no matter how long my holiday.  Nothing kills your holiday quicker than lost luggage.  Laundry is cheap.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

8 hours ago, bgtp said:

I always do carry-on. A carry-on sized duffel and a laptop bag. Last trip was 3 months. Do laundry every 5 or 6 days, it's easy and cheap enough. 

Another carry on only person

I,m bringing a laptop bag. Do you know if it is included in the 7kg limit. I'm flying Thai

www.sugarcanemafia.com

When you got perfume,after shave,body lotion,liquid soap, special lube,and a bottle of fine JD...hmmmmm..carry on is out of the question.

Better to pay for a fantasy than lose to an illusion 

trips to Angeles city 2015/2016    best sexual experience    best condoms

8th  trip 7th trip  6th trip 5th trip micro trip  3rd trip  2nd trip   

maiden trip

trip to lagos

4 minutes ago, JABL said:

When you got perfume,after shave,body lotion,liquid soap, special lube,and a bottle of fine JD...hmmmmm..carry on is out of the question.

Things got weird as bags that would barely fit into the overhead storage compartments were allowed through and mine wasn't... I thought they had to be the proper size and weight.

I'll buy all new lightweight luggage if I have to, then test pack to get it to the weight I need it.  Then bring the laptop in a small laptop bag and I should be okay.  I took Eva Air there last year.

Premium Economy/Economy Class passenger is permitted to carry one-piece weighing 7 kg (15lb) carry-on baggage.

The dimension of each hand-carry baggage may not be larger than 23x36x56cm /9x14x22 in or total of 115 cm/45 in (personal item is not applied to this regulation).

Carry-on items

In addition to the hand-carry baggage, every passenger may carry, without additional charge (subject to local country specific restrictions, if any), the following free carry-on items(of reasonable size) or an item of similar size:

• a laptop computer* or
  • a purse or
  • a small backpack or
  • a briefcase or
  • a camera case or
  • rain gear (umbrella, raincoat) or
  • a limited amount of duty-free merchandise

*A laptop in thin satchel-style laptop bag is considered to be a personal item. A laptop in a larger laptop bag will be counted as part of a guest’s carry-on allowance.

Archived