IGNORED

Can’t RDP to cloud server

Mr_wimpy

I am planning a 12 month trip. I have an online business which runs a order system off a laptop.

if the laptop every got stolen, lost or damaged I would be in trouble.

So I rented a cloud server and the idea was to put the order system on that instead.

In thailand for a short holiday now and decided to test it out. But it won’t connect via RDP due to a poor internet connection from the hotel, just keeps disconnecting.

are there any other options other than RDP?  Or would a mobile 3G dongle work?

any help would be much appreciated.

Why not leave the laptop with the order system at home and take another laptop with you? Use the 2nd laptop to RDP into your home system, or use the free version of Teamviewer for the connection. In fact I would go with Teamviewer over RDP as I find it easier to use and just as fast.

Even better, move your home system to a friend or family's place. In the event there's a problem, you'll then have someone close at hand that can help you get your order system back online.

23 hours ago, ex-pat said:

Teamviewer

Thanks I’ll take a look.

22 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Why not leave the laptop with the order system at home and take another laptop with you? Use the 2nd laptop to RDP into your home system, or use the free version of Teamviewer for the connection. In fact I would go with Teamviewer over RDP as I find it easier to use and just as fast.

Even better, move your home system to a friend or family's place. In the event there's a problem, you'll then have someone close at hand that can help you get your order system back online.

I did consider that, but renting the house out so can’t leave it there.  Could leave at a friends but doesn’t overcome the problem that I can’t rdp across to it twice a day

5 minutes ago, Mr_wimpy said:

Thanks I’ll take a look.

I did consider that, but renting the house out so can’t leave it there.  Could leave at a friends but doesn’t overcome the problem that I can’t rdp across to it twice a day

To answer to your question about a 3G dongle; that would be a good plan B to have ready if the internet you have access to goes down or isn't of sufficient speed to support remote connections. It's what I use.

In fact Thailand has a pretty good, and reliable 4G network now. If you're in the Pattaya area I would recommend going with AIS. In my case I use my smartphone as a tethered hot spot for the rare occasions when my fiber connection is down.

I did notice it looks pretty simple to connect from a iPhone and link it to the laptop.  Do you know if RDP/teamviewer is ok with that sort of connection?  I’ll test it properly when I get home

54 minutes ago, Mr_wimpy said:

I did notice it looks pretty simple to connect from a iPhone and link it to the laptop.  Do you know if RDP/teamviewer is ok with that sort of connection?  I’ll test it properly when I get home

I've used it for both RDP and Teamviewer connections with no problem. Surprisingly, I get a faster connection using 4G than the fiber I have coming into my home. 4G 47 DL/ 32 UL vs fiber 20 DL/ 10 UL.

I have worked from Thailand similar situation to yourself.  

Firstly if this is your business and lively hood then I would recommend you rent a room or condo that has an independent Wifi router per room. Shared hotel Wifi can be slow and patchy to say the least. Ok for surfing the net but not running a business especially for transactions

I have used 4G over my IPhone (set up a personal hotspot) in thailand as a back up and it worked well with a good signal using similar to RDP. 

Best remote software I know of are in no particular order as  RDP is not the best.  But if you are using AWS  it should be ok as AWS have fine tuned it for there infrastructure I believe but you can still use the below once you have it all set up. 

Logmein 

GotomyPC 

Teamviewer

I bring 2 laptops and a screen with me but do most of my work  on a cloud PC (laptops are just to connect) incase I get cabin fever or as a backup incase internet or electricity went out I did do some research and found a few shared office spaces I could potentially use. Also there are a few internet cafe etc still around.  SO if your Laptop fails you could potential connect to your cloud PC from here. Just make sure you keep apcopy of the remote Software client on a usb stick or something

Anyway this is what I found 

https://www.sharedesk.net/search/list/Pattaya

https://www.coworker.com/thailand/pattaya

review of remote software here 

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/355572/the-best-remote-access-software

hope it helps 

I've used it for both RDP and Teamviewer connections with no problem. Surprisingly, I get a faster connection using 4G than the fiber I have coming into my home. 4G 47 DL/ 32 UL vs fiber 20 DL/ 10 UL.
Probably because you only paid for a 20 Mbps fiber connection!

The OPs problem is not the software, it is his internet connection! Easiest is to tether your phone, but if you are going to be there a year, get a 4g Hotspot box but test out the tethering first.. If the speed is not good enough, the hotspot won't be eithee.

RDP isnt blocked by any ISP in Thailand - as I use it constantly.

It could be a poor connection at the hotel or some content filtering / port filtering they may have.

I even use my AIS 4G connection from my iphone to RDP servers in other locations connected to very high latency satellite links in very remote locations and have never had an issue.

Formerly w3bmast3r (2003 - 2006), and TechSupport (2006 - 2017)

• 4 weeks later...

You can try changing the settings on the RDP connection, lowering the color depth and resolution. There is an option of splashtop remote, this works very well on bad connections. Another common problem in Thailand on some international routes where the connections stall, it slows down to 56k speeds intermittently on that single open connection, and eventually drops after a long time. Singapore is a great location for the server, if you want to access it both from home and Thailand, failing that,, use a VPN running through sweden/czech to an EU server. 

If you PM me your cloud provider / requirements i can look at the routing tables and give you some more solid ideas.

Archived