IGNORED

Learning Thai Woes

Recently I had a little job making an Online quiz system for a company and it gave me an idea to use the same tech to make an interactive language site for learning Thai, there are a couple of these about but i've not been all that impressed with them, some seem to not work well, are expensive and the content seems a little limited at best.

If you could spare a minute could you write what you would like in a learning package, what you don't like, what you like, what you want to learn, what you find important to learn/what you don't, what you would like from a commercial piece of software, what your difficulties are mainly etc etc.

I guess this is mainly aimed people who know a few words -> beginner level though any feedback would be appreciated from all skill levels.

Edited by herds

Hello herds,

there is an aussie teacher on youtube that had a good philosophy regarding learning a new language. Not sure if this is the kind of thing you are looking for but...look up the words "fastest way to learn a foriegn language".

Good idea, might help.

Cheers

David

Daddy wants to pound the brown!!

Recently I had a little job making an Online quiz system for a company and it gave me an idea to use the same tech to make an interactive language site for learning Thai, there are a couple of these about but i've not been all that impressed with them, some seem to not work well, are expensive and the content seems a little limited at best.

If you could spare a minute could you write what you would like in a learning package, what you don't like, what you like, what you want to learn, what you find important to learn/what you don't, what you would like from a commercial piece of software, what your difficulties are mainly etc etc.

I guess this is mainly aimed people who know a few words -> beginner level though any feedback would be appreciated from all skill levels.

Alot of online stuff and pre-structured courses from my experience are good for the basics but also teach alot of stuff that although valid and correct, just isnt spoken in everyday language. My Thai teacher said to be that they teach alot of Farangs the same thing and certain phrases in language schools and courses. Some good examples of this are phrases like:

Mai roo - Dont know (This is never used by adults and only by children upto about 7 or with very close friends) or

Laew pop gan mai - This is never used in daily language but I've seen it on quite a few well known websites

Also the context in which certain phrases are said are incorrect and should only be said in certain situations. There are so many subtlies in the way you can say things in a certain way which could be taken wrong that I would just learn the basics until your comfortable. Once you can hit the ground running in quite a few subjects get yourself a teacher and forget online learning as you simply wont get the results.

However if your just after learning some very basic stuff just for a holiday then online is good enough. Because I started with Pimslars I didnt really have a need to goto stuff like Rosetta (which didnt appeal). I did get various phrase books like "Speak Like a Thai" vol1 & 2 which basically had some decent relatively upto date phrases for real life Thai but even some of that was a little dubious.

I think some online is good for a reference but when learning now I just ask my teacher if its any good or the correct contextual meaning for using it.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)