Line Messenger Tips and Tricks (how to tell if you have been blocked and other tips)

11 minutes ago, pregnantladyboy said:

No she actually sent me a message with a photo, so she definitely knew I was back in LOS somehow.

Line does not have anything that would inform another user that you had arrived in another country or are even online.

The only thing is if you reloaded line onto your phone which would alert contacts in your phone's address book. 

Otherwise it is just coincidence. The picture could have been sent while you were offline flying and then as soon as you joined a network that message came in. But 100% there is no online indicator and I'm positive she had no way of knowing you were back in LOS unless she was having you followed! 555

• Like 1
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Notherenow

• Garzan

• Dr No

• just hanging

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I thought I would start this thread with table of contents. I should also point out that I am an Android user (OnePlus 5) so there may be differences for those using iPhones.  Another thi

these are all you need

Added one

Posted Images

No she actually sent me a message with a photo, so she definitely knew I was back in LOS somehow.
Did you post any photos on your timeline when you arrived in Thailand? That could have triggered a message like i got from Line

As a relative Line newb, here are some things I find annoying/confusing about it:

1. Registration ambiguity

Oldies like me (late 40s) are only just getting to grips with the concept of registering with websites with an email address, and if there's any problems like you get locked out of your account or forget your password, you sort it out by getting a new email link sent to you. But since Line is a phone app you register with your phone number .... or with the phone itself, I'm not sure which ....

In Thailand mobile phone numbers seem to go defunct if not used for 8 or 10 months or something like that. So, not having been in Thailand in a year, I went back to the Dtac shop at the start of last trip to get my Thai phone up and running again. The girl in the shop told me I would need a new phone number (new sim). My first thought was 'Oh fuck, I'll lose all the Line lady contacts I got on last trip'. But she put the new sim in and thankfully my Line account and contacts were all still there ........ So it's the device that the Line account is connected to rather than the phone number? But I thought the phone number was my ID that people added me from? How could the account still be there with a different number?.............And what happens if you lose the phone? Does that mean you lose your Line account for good? Or is there a way to retrieve the phone number of a lost phone and re-access your Line with that? .... confusing for old farts like me!

2. Line makes a fool of people who have been blocked

On Facebook or on ThaiFriendly if you have been blocked you can't see the profile anymore of the person who has blocked you, or on FB you can see easily if a former friend has unfriended you. But Line is the only social media site I know where you still seem to be 'friends' with the person who blocked you and you see their new posts and pictures in your feed like normal. But your likes and comments on her pictures and posts are going unresponded to. And she's not replying to your messages anymore, and not even reading them because it says 'unread' beside each one ... Then after getting to know the ropes a bit better and reading about Line on the web the horror finally dawns: the b**ch blocked me! The reason she wasn't responding to your likes/comments/messages is because she can't see the fucking things!! Line has made a fool of me! And you're left to belatedly lick your wounds and wonder why it was she blocked you.

3. TGs are very tetchy on Line

Continuing from the last point, I find TGs extremely temperamental and tetchy on Line. I'm always getting blocked. They're very trigger-happy with the Block button, and mostly for almost nothing. Like if you leave it too long before replying to their message, they block you. Or if a lady you've gone with twice before messages you to say 'where are you?' and you say I'm going with somebody else tonight, you get blocked ... I mean, Hello!! it's Pattaya

4. Difficult/impossible to keep backup list of contacts

If you delete your FB account or start a new profile you can re-add all your old friends from their usernames, or get them from your friends' friendlists, or even keep a list of Urls of them. But I wouldn't have a clue how to re-add people on Line if I lost my phone or accidentally deleted the account, because they mostly have short, abbreviated usernames, and you usually add them by their phone number or QR code.  How would you search for them, or save a link to their profile?? If you have their phone numbers written down somewhere you might be able to re-add them like that, provided that's the number that's connected to their Line, and provided they're still using that Line account (a lot of them seem to change accounts or let accounts go dormant)  ........... but it all seems a bit  obtuse and ephemeral. Wish it were more straightforward.
10 minutes ago, pregnantladyboy said:

2. Line makes a fool of people who have been blocked

On Facebook or on Thaifriendly if you have been blocked you can't see the profile anymore of the person who has blocked you, or on FB you can see easily if a former friend has unfriended you. But Line is the only social media site I know where you still seem to be 'friends' with the person who blocked you and you see their new posts and pictures in your feed like normal. But your likes and comments on her pictures and posts are going unresponded to. And she's not replying to your messages anymore, and not even reading them because it says 'unread' beside each one ... Then after getting to know the ropes a bit better and reading about Line on the web the horror finally dawns: the b**ch blocked me! The reason she wasn't responding to your likes/comments/messages is because she can't see the fucking things!! Line has made a fool of me! And you're left to belatedly lick your wounds and wonder why it was she blocked you.

Are you sure about that ? I was under the impression that although they're still on your friends list you can't see their homepage if they've blocked you ?

I do agree though that if you're blocked it should tell you the same as Messenger does.

Since Gmail addresses are free (making the assumption you are on an android phone) what I do is make sure to put Line contacts, with a photo, in my Pattaya GMail address book. Whether the Line account or the phone goes tits up, The Google Addressbook is backed up in the cloud, so it won't get lost. 

In Line Settings/Account on the phone, there is a way to designate an address for recovery and computer login. It's a good idea to set that.  Then you can do account recovery by email address and whatever current phone number you have does not matter. 

In Line Settings/Profile on the phone, there is a way to set an ID. This absolutely should NOT be your phone number. Once set, it cannot be changed. If you do ThaiFriendly, it makes some sense to set your Line ID and your Thai Friendly account name to the same thing, unless you're going through a whole bunch of TF accounts. :-) (Some ladies seem to change TF IDs weekly.) You can give out your LineID rather than your current phone number to new people you want to have add you in Line. That way if your phone number happens to change, getting in contact is not an issue.

As for oldies, I'm early 60's. 555 

Edited by Garzan
23 minutes ago, Hallmark said:

Are you sure about that ? I was under the impression that although they're still on your friends list you can't see their homepage if they've blocked you ?

Not totally sure. There might be be different levels of blocking. That was mentioned previously somewhere in this thread.

@Garzan, thank for the tips.

As a relative Line newb, here are some things I find annoying/confusing about it:
  1. Registration ambiguity   Oldies like me (late 40s) are only just getting to grips with the concept of registering with websites with an email address, and if there's any problems like you get locked out of your account or forget your password, you sort it out by getting a new email link sent to you. But since Line is a phone app you register with your phone number .... or with the phone itself, I'm not sure which ....   In Thailand mobile phone numbers seem to go defunct if not used for 8 or 10 months or something like that. So, not having been in Thailand in a year, I went back to the Dtac shop at the start of last trip to get my Thai phone up and running again. The girl in the shop told me I would need a new phone number (new sim). My first thought was 'Oh fuck, I'll lose all the Line lady contacts I got on last trip'. But she put the new sim in and thankfully my Line account and contacts were all still there ........ So it's the device that the Line account is connected to rather than the phone number? But I thought the phone number was my ID that people added me from? How could the account still be there with a different number?.............And what happens if you lose the phone? Does that mean you lose your Line account for good? Or is there a way to retrieve the phone number of a lost phone and re-access your Line with that? .... confusing for old farts like me!   2. Line makes a fool of people who have been blocked   On Facebook or on Thaifriendly if you have been blocked you can't see the profile anymore of the person who has blocked you, or on FB you can see easily if a former friend has unfriended you. But Line is the only social media site I know where you still seem to be 'friends' with the person who blocked you and you see their new posts and pictures in your feed like normal. But your likes and comments on her pictures and posts are going unresponded to. And she's not replying to your messages anymore, and not even reading them because it says 'unread' beside each one ... Then after getting to know the ropes a bit better and reading about Line on the web the horror finally dawns: the b**ch blocked me! The reason she wasn't responding to your likes/comments/messages is because she can't see the fucking things!! Line has made a fool of me! And you're left to belatedly lick your wounds and wonder why it was she blocked you.   3. TGs are very tetchy on Line   Continuing from the last point, I find TGs extremely temperamental and tetchy on Line. I'm always getting blocked. They're very trigger-happy with the Block button, and mostly for almost nothing. Like if you leave it too long before replying to their message, they block you. Or if a lady you've gone with twice before messages you to say 'where are you?' and you say I'm going with somebody else tonight, you get blocked ... I mean, Hello!! it's Pattaya   4. Difficult/impossible to keep backup list of contacts   If you delete your FB account or start a new profile you can re-add all your old friends from their usernames, or get them from your friends' friendlists, or even keep a list of Urls of them. But I wouldn't have a clue how to re-add people on Line if I lost my phone or accidentally deleted the account, because they mostly have short, abbreviated usernames, and you usually add them by their phone number or QR code.  How would you search for them, or save a link to their profile?? If you have their phone numbers written down somewhere you might be able to re-add them like that, provided that's the number that's connected to their Line, and provided they're still using that Line account (a lot of them seem to change accounts or let accounts go dormant)  ........... but it all seems a bit  obtuse and ephemeral. Wish it were more straightforward.
A load of questions. Add an email address to your Line account then if you lose your phone or just change phones the email is backup.
If a girl blocks you just move on. I block girls all the time also.
If you want to keep their Line ID you need to make a note of it at the start, which you can't do with QR code unless you take a photo which would be weird
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, pregnantladyboy said:

1. Registration ambiguity

The answers to your questions are the very reasons I created this thread. So if you go back to post one and have a look at the index you will see a number of them addressed.

Where i agree with what you are saying questioning the line app it is what it is and we just have to use it because that's how we communicate with the girls.

But I will just explain this one thing yet again.

Your phone number is simply used as verification. The phone number you use is fairly irrelevant  as long as it  can receive a verification code. The shortcoming you will find is that once you lose your Thai number and somebody else gets it, if they open a Line account you will lose all of your information. There is a caveat to this in that I think if you create an ID this will protect your account. But I will have to investigate that further. 

So my suggestion is that you change the phone number attached to your account to the number in your home country. It does not mean that people will be able to access you in any different way, it just means that you will not lose the information in your line account.

This is done on the edit profile in the settings and is fairly straightforward.

But like I said go back to the first post and have a look around. If you find the answer to what you require is not there feel free to come back and post a question. 

BTW I am 54 so understanding these things is more about a willingness to learn rather than an inability. 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Iamkanga said:

The answers to your questions are the very reasons I created this thread. So if you go back to post one and have a look at the index you will see a number of them addressed.

Where i agree with what you are saying questioning the line app it is what it is and we just have to use it because that's how we communicate with the girls.

But I will just explain this one thing yet again.

Your phone number is simply used as verification. The phone number you use is fairly irrelevant  as long as it  can receive a verification code. The shortcoming you will find is that once you lose your Thai number and somebody else gets it, if they open a Line account you will lose all of your information. There is a caveat to this in that I think if you create an ID this will protect your account. But I will have to investigate that further. 

So my suggestion is that you change the phone number attached to your account to the number in your home country. It does not mean that people will be able to access you in any different way, it just means that you will not lose the information in your line account.

This is done on the edit profile in the settings and is fairly straightforward.

But like I said go back to the first post and have a look around. If you find the answer to what you require is not there feel free to come back and post a question. 

BTW I am 54 so understanding these things is more about a willingness to learn rather than an inability. 

Thanks for your reply. I think I have a better idea of the role of the phone number now. I will try changing the number attached to the account as suggested.

I know I was asking questions that have maybe been answered already in the thread, just I had read some of the thread but not all of it. Anyway the index at the start is a good feature :ThumbUp6:

Re age, I'm just a slow adopter of technologies!!

Understanding the relationship between your phone number and your line account

Given the number of posts that have been made regarding this I thought it would be worthwhile creating a post trying to explain it more clearly.

As part of the setup of line you are asked to use your phone number to verify your account. That is the only relationship between your phone number and that account, with the one caveat.

1. That number makes you identifiable to anybody that has that number in their telephone or searches for you by that number. So it is probably guaranteed that if you come to Thailand and use a Thai SIM card that number would have been used before and as such anybody who has that phone number saved in their contacts list and has line with see you as a new user. There are also a couple of other things worth mentioning. 

a. You cannot verify more than one line account with the same phone number.

b. You can change the phone number on the account at a later time without losing any of chats or contacts.

So for those wanting anonymity and wanting to use the phone number verification is to access a mobile device (possibly Nana's) who you know is probably not going to use line and use their phone number to verify your line account. That way it is unlikely to be a problem unless of course the grand kids use line and all of a sudden see Nana has joined up, but as it is only verification you would receive the messages not Nana.

OR

In my opinion the easiest way to maintain anonymity is to sign up with your Facebook account. I have not seen anything posted on the Facebook account that shows you have your line account linked.

It is also worth mentioning you should check post #206 above by @Garzan as this has useful information in regards to retrieving information and setting up a line ID.

Screenshot_2018_09_22_13_23_45.jpg

Screenshot_2018_09_22_13_26_17.jpg

If you select sign up for a new account you get the Phone Number Verification screen but can still do Facebook

Screenshot_2018_09_22_13_23_56.jpg

This will take you to the Facebook login option

Screenshot_2018_09_23_14_32_23.jpg

Screenshot_2018_09_22_14_13_29.jpg

Screenshot_2018_09_22_14_13_37.jpg

Screenshot_2018_09_22_13_26_45.jpg

Screenshot_2018_09_22_13_28_34.jpg

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Iamkanga said:

1. That number makes you identifiable to anybody that has that number in their telephone or searches for you by that number. So it is probably guaranteed that if you come to Thailand and use a Thai SIM card that number would have been used before and as such anybody who has that phone number saved in their contacts list and has line with see you as a new user. There are also a couple of other things worth mentioning. 

Screenshot_2018_09_22_13_28_34.jpg

You can change it in your settings though to make searches possible by ID only and not phone number, also you can change it so it doesn't automatically add all your contacts.

But whether you can do that when you first register I'm not sure ???

Here is something for the geekiest amongst you. Of course it might just be me alone!

While I was testing the above post I was able to verify the same phone number for a different account via the edit profile option without deleting the original account and it seemingly functioned normally. I didn't go into any in-depth testing as when my inquisitive mind thought "I wonder what would happen if I do a search for that phone number" it deleted the original account.

Anyway probably something of little value, but I found it interesting. I guess that says more about me than the line app! 555

8 minutes ago, Hallmark said:

You can change it in your settings though to make searches possible by ID only and not phone number, also you can change it so it doesn't automatically add all your contacts.

But whether you can do that when you first register I'm not sure ???

Yes most of the things are changeable after the fact. The main purpose of the post is to try and maintain as much anonymity as possible as when I originally set up this thread I wasn't thinking of all those dirty bastards coming up here and leaving their partners at home! 555

I think we all know what a golfing holiday to Thailand means! 555

EDIT sorry I did not read your post very thoroughly

Actually I'm pretty sure that checking the box to make you searchable by your ID DOES NOT delete the option to search you by your phone number. 

Edited by Iamkanga
30 minutes ago, Iamkanga said:

Actually I'm pretty sure that checking the box to make you searchable by your ID DOES NOT delete the option to search you by your phone number. 

It does, I have mine set to ID only and if you search my number it just comes up as "user not found".

1 hour ago, Hallmark said:

It does, I have mine set to ID only and if you search my number it just comes up as "user not found".

Great thanks I was not aware of that feature. 

Its actually a checkbox under friends in the settings section. It should be noted though you do not have to have an ID set to uncheck that box. 

Screenshot_2018_09_23_17_35_57__01.jpg

I think last week we discussed the capability of having 2 versions of Line on your phone. Its actually straight forward and available on Android in Settings, Advanced Features, Dual Messenger.

I think the girls are ahead of us5943430b25b7ca1c4dd91f1f7b32e372.jpg

2 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

I think last week we discussed the capability of having 2 versions of Line on your phone. Its actually straight forward and available on Android in Settings, Advanced Features, Dual Messenger.

I think the girls are ahead of us5943430b25b7ca1c4dd91f1f7b32e372.jpg

Yes I'm pretty sure I mentioned about the built-in functionality on a lot of newer phones, but not all, in an earlier post.

But I don't know if you had ever seen a girl mess around in the setting section off her phone but I would generally liken it to a goat using an ATM. That's not to say that some Thai girls don't know their way around this feature and a phone. But in general I would be extremely skeptical of many of them having multiple accounts. Even the young girls are generally challenged by passwords etc.

Hope this does not come off as having a crack at the girls I would argue there's plenty of guys with the same attitude. 

@Iamkanga I've noticed a new button, "Line Square" which is under the "Timeline" button on the left menu bar on the Windows PC version. Apparently, it's some sort of anonymous chat function. I'm not quite sure what for or how I'd use it though. :-) Thoughts?

I haven't really explored it but I will have it better look a little later. But I'm pretty sure all general chat communication is encrypted by default on Line. But I would be surprised if there was any real anonymity, as I would think anybody that joined the group would be able to see your messages.

But to me it seems more like Google Plus. You effectively join the group and there appears to be a section for posts and a section for chatting with the group.

Disappointingly I don't see a section for Mongers! 

Edited by Iamkanga
  • 1 month later...

Anyone have problem with LINE not giving notification of a message?  I only find out I have a new message when I open LINE.  It does not happen every time but happens often enough that it is getting annoying.  Could it be a problem with the phone or maybe wifi at my place?  

12 minutes ago, xtremedude said:

Anyone have problem with LINE not giving notification of a message?  I only find out I have a new message when I open LINE.  It does not happen every time but happens often enough that it is getting annoying.  Could it be a problem with the phone or maybe wifi at my place?  

Cant imagine it has anything to do with your internet.

But the notifications section of the app has recently been updated so you might want to have a look in there to see if something is not adjusted correctly. Also sometimes it can be worth while restarting your phone.

There is also an individual mute setting in each of your chats so just check that you haven't accidentally checked that to mute.

There used to be a box to check or uncheck for force closing of the app relating to notifications but I never really understood what that meant

45 minutes ago, xtremedude said:

I sometimes have the same problem.

My goole translate does not seem to sync when  I select "copy" for Thai text. lately I have had to copy then exit LINE, open google Translate and paste.

I sometimes have the same problem.
My goole translate does not seem to sync when  I select "copy" for Thai text. lately I have had to copy then exit LINE, open google Translate and paste.

Yes me too, it doesn't always work. The suggestion to restart our phones is probably a good one, solves 99% of the worlds problems
  • Like 1

I recently installed BlueStacks on my desktop, since my favorite game is going to be ending in May, and I have to find a new collaborative diversion. :-) Why would anyone care on this thread? Well, since BlueStacks is an Android emulator, and the master version of a Line installation has to be on an Android phone, it got me thinking if it couldn't be done on an Android emulator. Sure, you can run a dedicated app on a laptop/desktop, but every once in a while, that app is going to want to verify you with the one installed on your phone. Since BlueStacks seems to be emulating the phone part of the equation, wouldn't that work for out of country people? Assuming you want to keep your Pattaya Line active, it seems like it ~ought~ to work. Sort of a tangent thought that went though my brain when I was looking at games in the Play store via the emulator. :-)