Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Line Messenger Tips and Tricks (how to tell if you have been blocked and other tips)

Notherenow

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 16:51, Iamkanga said:

Sorry Garzan, but I'm almost 100% positive that deleting a chat does not create the empty chat effect. At least I cannot replicated across my line accounts (all Android of course). But what worldpunter says in my experience is correct. Though I'm not sure if you have to delete your account or simply setting up a new account on a new phone with the same credentials would create the same effect.

But just to reiterate the reason for of an empty chat is generally not a personal thing and rather some changing of an account, but as I mentioned not related to chat deletion (in my experience).

You are 100% correct and I was mistaken about how it works. Thanks for clarifying, and helping me test it out. :-)  Cheers!

Often 1 of my contacts will change their status line. As it is in Thai I can't read it. Is there a way to copy it so I can paste into translator?

PS using line on android 

Guys

I use Line, and when I log onto it my TG knows i've been on as I get sticker or message from her within seconds of opening Line

Where is this in Line?

Is there a setting somewhere?

Guys
I use Line, and when I log onto it my TG knows i've been on as I get sticker or message from her within seconds of opening Line
Where is this in Line?
Mate I don't think there is any capability within line to know if someone has opened the app. The only thing I am aware of is a small white dot on your contacts when they have had an update. It may be that she is sending you a sticker when you are offline and you are receiving it immediately when you open the app.

Often 1 of my contacts will change their status line. As it is in Thai I can't read it. Is there a way to copy it so I can paste into translator?

PS using line on android 
The short answer is no.

But there are two ways to do it. One of course is to write the Thai text verbatim into Google Translate. The other is quiet geeky. If you take a screenshot and uploaded to Google photos there is a new option called Google Lens which will allow you to copy the text within the screenshot. It has literally only been released in the last couple of weeks. But definitely not one for your average punter to be bothered with!

There also might be an option if you use the Chrome web extension of line but I don't have it installed currently so you will have to come up with a follow-up question for me to warrant the effort! 555

You are 100% correct and I was mistaken about how it works. Thanks for clarifying, and helping me test it out. :-)  Cheers!

Your input always valuable and welcome. In fact I do not know if you have noticed but there is a new ribbon in the contacts menu. I haven't seen any of real value for it for the thread IMO but interested in your input if you see something of value?

Anyway plenty of fails on my part. Love to be able to blame the alcohol but that's only part of the problem![emoji852]️

47 minutes ago, Iamkanga said:
4 hours ago, paullewis said:
Guys
Where is this in Line?

Mate I don't think there is any capability within line to know if someone has opened the app. The only thing I am aware of is a small white dot on your contacts when they have had an update. It may be that she is sending you a sticker when you are offline and you are receiving it immediately when you open the app.

Ah OK lamkanga

So am I correct in thinking that messages come through automatically on a smart phone once someone sends you a message?

Thanks

Edited by paullewis

1 hour ago, Iamkanga said:

The short answer is no.

But there are two ways to do it. One of course is to write the Thai text verbatim into Google Translate. The other is quiet geeky. If you take a screenshot and uploaded to Google photos there is a new option called Google Lens which will allow you to copy the text within the screenshot. It has literally only been released in the last couple of weeks. But definitely not one for your average punter to be bothered with!

There also might be an option if you use the Chrome web extension of line but I don't have it installed currently so you will have to come up with a follow-up question for me to warrant the effort! 555

Thanks for the response. Until now not been able to find Lens in Photos. Will keep researching and will report back if I succeed. 

Thanks for the response. Until now not been able to find Lens in Photos. Will keep researching and will report back if I succeed. 
Have to open a pic. Then its the icon along the bottom row next to the rubbish bin

Ah OK lamkanga
So am I correct in thinking that messages come through automatically on a smart phone once someone sends you a message?
Thanks
Generally yes. There is something that the app refers to as a forced close which may prevent the push notifications (immediate notification). But 99% of the time should be virtually instant.

13 hours ago, eXplosief said:

PS using line on android 

7 hours ago, Iamkanga said:

The short answer is no.

If you are talking about reading their posts on their home page then yes you can but you need the google translate App loaded. Make sure the App is set to Your language and Thai.

what you do is put your finger on the text , leave it there and a box pops up that says "copy" and you click that then the goggle translate icon appears in the top right corner and click that. it auto translates the text and asks "New translation" this means do you want to write a reply in you language and then you press copy to that and paste it into wherever you want to but it auto pastes it into Thai ( or whatever language you have set it to)

I have my google translate set to English Thai. that way in a LINE conversation I follow the same process ,sound convoluted but it's not , once set up all you do is hold your finger on the text and copy and paste.

9 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

If you are talking about reading their posts on their home page then yes you can but you need the google translate App loaded. Make sure the App is set to Your language and Thai.
what you do is put your finger on the text , leave it there and a box pops up that says "copy" and you click that then the goggle translate icon appears in the top right corner and click that. it auto translates the text and asks "New translation" this means do you want to write a reply in you language and then you press copy to that and paste it into wherever you want to but it auto pastes it into Thai ( or whatever language you have set it to)

I have my google translate set to English Thai. that way in a LINE conversation I follow the same process ,sound convoluted but it's not , once set up all you do is hold your finger on the text and copy and paste.

Mmmmm. I assumed he was referring to the text that you can update that appears under the account name in the profile. Guess I may have over thought that one!

BTW there is a screenshot instructional on Google translate and the line translation app. 

44 minutes ago, Iamkanga said:
9 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

Mmmmm. I assumed he was referring to the text that you can update that appears under the account name in the profile. Guess I may have over thought that one!

You didn't over think things. I am talking about the status line text under the account name. 

Still not been able to find Lens. Not sure if it has been rolled out to my phone or country  (NL) . 

You didn't over think things. I am talking about the status line text under the account name. 
Still not been able to find Lens. Not sure if it has been rolled out to my phone or country  (NL) . 
I will pm a screenshot

This may have been answered here or elsewhere but I'm going to ask anyway.

I've tried this Line translation and also google translate on a couple of previously translated Thai messages ( translated by 3-4 Thais ) and neither of them come anywhere close to what was actually written.

What's the best Thai - English translation available and easy to use.

This may have been answered here or elsewhere but I'm going to ask anyway.
I've tried this Line translation and also google translate on a couple of previously translated Thai messages ( translated by 3-4 Thais ) and neither of them come anywhere close to what was actually written.
What's the best Thai - English translation available and easy to use.
Easily it is Google Translate. But I tend to use a combination of the two to try and get better clarity. They can be well off the mark, with some quiet innocent friendly remarks suggesting that the sender loves you!

But there are a couple of things you can do to try and improve what you send and receive.

The first is keep the sentences short and try not to use fluffy words like fluffy!

The other is to reverse translate it. That is to copy the Thai text and put it into the main search box and translate it to English to see how it comes out. I use this technique always when it is important that it is clear what I am trying to say. All this might seem like a bit of a hassle but shitloads easier than learning a new language. And once you have a technique sussed it's really quite quick.

But as an example I have had a number of short-term relationships where they speak very little English (effectively none). In fact all of our conversations are in Thai and Google Translate, and I speak very little Thai, only words not any significant sentences. Probably not for everybody but I enjoy it and it stops me being lazy about learning Thai.

On 16.3.2018 at 13:04, paullewis said:

Guys

Where is this in Line?

There's no way to see that someone is online in Line, unless you open and read their messages.

Are you sure she didn't see you online on Facebook/Messenger or some other app, and just wrote you on Line?

I have a phone in Aussie with one Line and a burner Phone for Thailand with another Line.   I have a friend that sends a message most days, and we catch up for drinks every time I am in bkk.  She knows to change whichever Line to contact me on depending where I am.  We are not FB friends and have no other form of contact than Line.    This trip, I landed yesterday, I decided I wouldn’t tell her I am coming and roll up to the bar and surprise her (that is happening tonight).    

On landing, I topped up my burner with some more minutes and data and used Line to call my regular driver (rough time prearranged - he ‘sits off’ until I call).

Last night I get my usual message from the TG (if she messages it’s when she is on BTS on the way to the bar), but it is to my BKk Line and she says ‘you come BKK today?’   I spin some bullshit about using that line on wifi at home still but will ask the question and try and get some answers tonight....

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I know you're not asking it #scribes but it's not overly difficult to set up multiple line accounts on a single phone, assuming it's not an iPhone. There is an instructional here that I'm about to update.

But given you use the term burner phone I gather you don't like having your main device with you whilst running about in Thailand. Well you're a better man than me I am joined at the hip to my phone! 

Thanks for that iamkanga..

my iPhone came up for a new contract just before my  last trip so I bought the superceded one over, whacked an AIS sim in and keep it topped up for future trips.    The beauty was I had all of my old details still on it so can still use fb, email etc for relatively low cost.    The only app I couldn’t put on my new phone was Line so had to start again on the new phone.   

I call it a burner in so much as I don’t really mind if I lose it or it gets trashed etc.      But can still use it on wifi back in aus.   Similarly there is no way I could be out in the streets without it in my pocket! 

I bring my good ‘current ‘ oz phone over and that stays in the safe for hotel wifi use only...    

On my way into the city now!!!!   

Faster driver faster.......

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, Scribes said:

I call it a burner in so much as I don’t really mind if I lose it or it gets trashed etc.      But can still use it on wifi back in aus.   Similarly there is no way I could be out in the streets without it in my pocket! 

I bring my good ‘current ‘ oz phone over and that stays in the safe for hotel wifi use only...  

Haven't worked out how it might be useful yet but have a 2 sim phone and just activated the AIS sim (use wifi for phone at home) and it works perfect :D  Would never have thought of it except for your post.  (Of course, if I get out of wifi range I will lose connection.)

Maybe on LINE I might change to my Thai number...  Once again, don't know how it could be useful, but will sleep on it, or maybe the nerdy types will inform me of what I am missing :Feedback:

11 minutes ago, Barhop said:

Haven't worked out how it might be useful yet but have a 2 sim phone and just activated the AIS sim (use wifi for phone at home) and it works perfect :D  Would never have thought of it except for your post.  (Of course, if I get out of wifi range I will lose connection.)

Maybe on LINE I might change to my Thai number...  Once again, don't know how it could be useful, but will sleep on it, or maybe the nerdy types will inform me of what I am missing :Feedback:

I'm not sure of how you are set up but changing to your Thair number will not change the account.

Tip 3 general tips

3 Changing your sim will have no impact on your line account. So putting in a local sim when you arrive in Thailand is fine. The sims phone number is used simply as a verification tool (but there are other ways to verify). Once you have that all you need is an internet connection wifi or mobile.

1 minute ago, Iamkanga said:

3 Changing your sim will have no impact on your line account. So putting in a local sim when you arrive in Thailand is fine. The sims phone number is used simply as a verification tool (but there are other ways to verify). Once you have that all you need is an internet connection wifi or mobile.

Thanks for that.

But when I said it works perfect,  that was a bit premature.   So, while the www is perfect, I have Emergency Calls Only once I clicked back.  So hardly perfect at all :sad: 

4 minutes ago, Barhop said:

Thanks for that.

But when I said it works perfect,  that was a bit premature.   So, while the www is perfect, I have Emergency Calls Only once I clicked back.  So hardly perfect at all :sad: 

Sorry I'm not hundred percent sure I'm following you if it is both of your Sims are not now working? But you still have Wi-Fi connection.

You may find that Sim is no longer a functioning Sim it may have passed its validity date ( I believe it will still connect to the network though). Also there are a number of settings that control the function of the different Sims dependent upon your phone. Check in your settings and it may make a bit more sense. 

I'm happy to help further if I can but I will need more detail. Feel free to PM if you want. 

21 minutes ago, Iamkanga said:

I'm happy to help further if I can but I will need more detail. Feel free to PM if you want.

Cheers - PM sent.