IGNORED

Line Messenger Tips and Tricks (how to tell if you have been blocked and other tips)

Notherenow

All that is one of the reasons why I make sure to enter a Line contact I want to keep around into my Google Contacts application, either on the phone, or on my desktop. Ideally, I've gotten the phone number she has registered on Line with. Then, as said earlier, Line will just look at my address book, and add anyone it can find if I have to do a delete and reinstall of Line. Also works if some butthole throws a bucket full of ice water on my unprotected phone during Songkran, and I need to get a new phone. 

In the extended entries fields of Google Contacts, using a web browser on the desktop (big screen, full keyboard), there is a field for "IM" I use that for LineID, and then type in "Line" for the label.

I also try to get a photo from whatever source to add to the Google Contact entry. That way it's easier to scroll through contacts and get reminded what the heck "SugarLips69" actually looks like. 555

No clue at all how address books and Line works on a iWhatever. :-)

NOTE: I put the LineID in the IM field, but Line will not be able to automatically reinstall that sort of contact. You'll have to do that manually. But, you'll have the LineID to be able to do that if you've written the LineID somewhere that you won't loose it--like in Google Contacts. :-)

Edited by Garzan
clarity

20 hours ago, Garzan said:

Okay, I'm not a 14 year old Thai girl, but I kinda like the preview suggestions based on the text I've inputted. 

Consider, a lot of times, we are communicating with someone and not using their native language. I used to make jokes about WIMP (Windows, Icons, Menus, Pointers) back when I thought the only decent computer interface was a text terminal, but look which way the world went. 555 

I may think emojis are stupid, but when trying to communicate with a Thai girl who may or may not comprehend much written English, it's a certainty she understands pictures. (emojis). What's that old saying, a picture is worth a thousand words? There are times those stupid little pictures come in handy, both to condense the conversation, and allow spoken language independence in the conversation. 

I have to admit, "Bear 100% Daily Use" is one of my favorites. There's a couple in that set that are very handy shorthand when Line-ing with a lady. 555  no conversation needed, just a time and location

these are all you need

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

11 copy.jpg

Transferring to a new phone Backup and Restore (Contacts and Messages)

When you install and log in your line account on a new device (except pc) the contents of your old account will be deleted. So it is important for you to back up your chat history if you want to transfer them to your new device. There is no need to backup your contacts as these are stored within your line account EDIT This will require you to register and email or Facebook account. Pretty sure its the same on the iPhone...95%

There is another Backup up option for individual chats but these are stored locally (on the device) and more difficult to restore to a new device

On an Android device your backup is stored on Google Drive which is Google's cloud storage. To log into this you just use your Gmail/Google credentials as part of the backup process. On an iPhone it is saved to the iCloud and I am not sure but I think it is automatically signed in. Unfortunately you cannot transfer chat history between operating systems

1.jpgScreenshot_2018_01_04_12_15_07.jpg

Screenshot_2018_01_06_02_50_43.jpgScreenshot_2018_01_06_02_52_06.jpg

You will now be taken to your Google?Gmail sign in pages and after a successful backup should look like this

Google.jpg

To Restore see below following the above steps on your new device until this screen below. You will have to go through the sign in process as shown in this example as no backup is present as it is a new download of Line. Not the case if you are on the same device on which the backup was made and will start to restore immediately

viber image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have asked this question before but got differing views.

I want to get local SIm card for the first time on my next trip as I'll be doing some travelling.

Is there any issue with LINE when changing to a local sim card? I have lots of contacts, chat history etc and I don't want to lose anything.

Hopefully the LINE experts on this thread can clear this up.

Cheers

Do it all the time with several different sims in different countries - no problems at all. Contacts, chat history etc all kept.

• Like 2

I have asked this question before but got differing views.
I want to get local SIm card for the first time on my next trip as I'll be doing some travelling.
Is there any issue with LINE when changing to a local sim card? I have lots of contacts, chat history etc and I don't want to lose anything.
Hopefully the LINE experts on this thread can clear this up.
Cheers
100% no problem as Line has nothing to do with your phone number apart from the initial verification process at Setup. All you will be using from the local Sim is the internet connection.

The only problem you would have is if you were using a different phone and you tried to register the same number as you registered originally on the phone you are using now. So assuming you are using the same phone no problems 100%.

The only thing worth mentioning is to make sure that your phone will accept a Sim from another carrier.

48 minutes ago, Iamkanga said:

100% no problem as Line has nothing to do with your phone number apart from the initial verification process at Setup. All you will be using from the local Sim is the internet connection.

The only problem you would have is if you were using a different phone and you tried to register the same number as you registered originally on the phone you are using now. So assuming you are using the same phone no problems 100%.

The only thing worth mentioning is to make sure that your phone will accept a Sim from another carrier.

That's superb, thank you!

27 minutes ago, BlooBell said:

That's superb, thank you!

The only other part I'd recommend is to go to Settings --> Account --> Email and register an email address. It could make it easier for future reinstalls or phone moves, or PC use.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Garzan said:

The only other part I'd recommend is to go to Settings --> Account --> Email and register an email address. It could make it easier for future reinstalls or phone moves, or PC use.

Cheers. I'll do that.

Reading messages without sending a read receipt

You can obviously see the text with message preview but if there are multiple texts this is not always possible.

This option may not be possible on an iPhone because of all the restrictions but no problems for Android. The only shortcoming to the app is that it will not allow you to view photos but stickers can be seen. It also works with FB IG WhatsApp and Telegram apps

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.holiestep.msgpeepingtom&hl=en

20 minutes ago, BlooBell said:

Cheers. I'll do that.

Post #103 may also be useful if you want to ensure you keep your chat history, as it goes into the backup process of chats.

You will never lose contacts as long as you can access your account with phone number or as Garzan suggested Email.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamkanga said:

Reading messages without sending a read receipt

You can obviously see the text with message preview but if there are multiple texts this is not always possible.

This option may not be possible on an iPhone because of all the restrictions but no problems for Android. The only shortcoming to the app is that it will not allow you to view photos but stickers can be seen. It also works with FB IG WhatsApp and Telegram apps

Another gimmicky, hi-tech, expensive option is to have a Samsung phone and a Samsung smartwatch. :-) Definitely not the way to go if you're keeping to a budget, but I get Line, and other notices on my Gear S2 watch, and they don't show up on the phone app as being read. Also, in a bar, I don't look like I'm spending all my time on my phone, just that I'm an impatient git who is always checking my watch. 

Your third party app though is orders of magnitude less expensive. 555

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Garzan said:

Another gimmicky, hi-tech, expensive option is to have a Samsung phone and a Samsung smartwatch. :-) Definitely not the way to go if you're keeping to a budget, but I get Line, and other notices on my Gear S2 watch, and they don't show up on the phone app as being read. Also, in a bar, I don't look like I'm spending all my time on my phone, just that I'm an impatient git who is always checking my watch. 

Your third party app though is orders of magnitude less expensive. 555

Ah Garzan. You are part of the "Technical Littarati"! 

But of course the true geeks are sporting Pixel, Oneplus or old Nexus devices! And of course the smartwatch was so 2017! 555

1 hour ago, Iamkanga said:

Ah Garzan. You are part of the "Technical Littarati"! 

But of course the true geeks are sporting Pixel, Oneplus or old Nexus devices! And of course the smartwatch was so 2017! 555

Actually, just ordered the Gear Sport watch which is supposed to be good down to 30 meters in water instead of down to around 1 meter for up to 30 minutes on the Gear S2. I should be all set for Song Kran this year. :-)  (I was a little concerned last year.)

49 minutes ago, Garzan said:

Actually, just ordered the Gear Sport watch which is supposed to be good down to 30 meters in water instead of down to around 1 meter for up to 30 minutes on the Gear S2. I should be all set for Song Kran this year. :-)  (I was a little concerned last year.)

Truth be known if I could stand wearing a watch I would be all over a smart watch. Tried the original Moto 360 but couldn't stand having something on my wrist.

Also im a bit over Samsung just appears to me to be the Android version of iPhone at the flagship end anyway. But feel the same way about the Pixel too! Guess there is no pleasing some! 555

• 2 weeks later...

Phone Number Change

Is a fairly important thing that you register your line account on a phone number that you are going to keep. For instance if you came to Thailand and got a SIM card and registered your line account under this number and then after having left Thailand allowed this number to lapse. Once that number is reissued, if that person creates a line account using that number you will lose control of the account. Just as a side note if you do come to Thailand regularly you can keep the same SIM card and extend its validity for up to 365 days generally for a small charge.

So anyway if you have registered your line account with a different phone number and you wish to change it this is the procedure

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

EDIT From post #100 #103

This is in relation to transferring contacts from your old phone to your new phone.

To facilitate these process you will need to have registered an email account or a Facebook account for your contacts to transfered  from your existing line account onto your new phones line account. But just as a reminder this will not transfer your chat history these will need to be backed up separately.

46 minutes ago, Iamkanga said:

EDIT From post #100 #103

This is in relation to transferring contacts from your old phone to your new phone.

To facilitate these process you will need to have registered an email account or a Facebook account for your contacts to transfered  from your existing line account onto your new phones line account. But just as a reminder this will not transfer your chat history these will need to be backed up separately.

Thanks for your very informative posts.  I am now not sure whether my current LINE situation is ideal.  (Opened LINE account after returning from Pattaya last time - local thai girl needed to send me some pics for an ad I do for her)

Have a 2 sim phone - aussie sim active while in oz and thai AIS sim not active (however thai sim will still be valid on next trip in april).  On arriving BKK, the thai sim will be made active and aussie sim not active.

So now I wonder if there could be any issues on my april trip with my LINE account because it was opened using an aussie sim and number - which will not be active while in Thailand...

8 minutes ago, Barhop said:

Thanks for your very informative posts.  I am now not sure whether my current LINE situation is ideal.  (Opened LINE account after returning from Pattaya last time - local thai girl needed to send me some pics for an ad I do for her)

Have a 2 sim phone - aussie sim active while in oz and thai AIS sim not active (however thai sim will still be valid on next trip in april).  On arriving BKK, the thai sim will be made active and aussie sim not active.

So now I wonder if there could be any issues on my april trip with my LINE account because it was opened using an aussie sim and number - which will not be active while in Thailand...

No all good mate.

Once it is registered on the phone doesn't matter what sim you use or you don't even need a sim only an internet connection. The phone number is only used as verification.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Iamkanga said:

No all good mate.

Once it is registered on the phone doesn't matter what sim you use or you don't even need a sim only an internet connection. The phone number is only used as verification.

Great :Party1:  Had hoped this was the situation, and suspected same because I can log in on PC also, but just got a little confused.  Will now fix the confusion by pouring another beer :GiveBeer1:

OP,

This may be one of the best threads for newbies ever started.  I wish I would have knew about Line on my first trip.  Would have saved some headache and baht!  Great job sir 

If someone adds you, is there any way to see what their actual ID is? Maybe I'm being dense, but I can't find anywhere where I can see it. It would be nice to have it written down somewhere else, just in case something goes pear-shaped.

On 1/29/2018 at 07:58, hambone200 said:

OP,

This may be one of the best threads for newbies ever started.  I wish I would have knew about Line on my first trip.  Would have saved some headache and baht!  Great job sir 

Good thread for sure, but this is in the advanced section so a lot of newbies won't be able to see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Fumbduck said:

Good thread for sure, but this is in the advanced section so a lot of newbies won't be able to see it.

Very good point. In fact it's in an odd place altogether considering. It's a very useful and well written thread and if it were in the newbie or tech forum I'd probably pin it.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

1 hour ago, Fumbduck said:

If someone adds you, is there any way to see what their actual ID is? Maybe I'm being dense, but I can't find anywhere where I can see it. It would be nice to have it written down somewhere else, just in case something goes pear-shaped.

No. But if you have their mobile number you can add someone from that.