IGNORED

Line Messenger Tips and Tricks (how to tell if you have been blocked and other tips)

Notherenow

i did have line on my android tablet it worked in thailand and in the uk , but it stopped working 6 months ago so i tried to delete then reinstall line app now im back in uk  no problems , but when i tried to add phone number it would not send me a verification code to my mobile phone for my android tablet - i cant see call me instead option maybe my tablet - phone does not have that option ? is there another way ? 

i also tried it on my pc in uk through the bluestacks emulator and did receive verification code , but if i tried to copy - save any birds photos etc it would come up on my photos for anybody to see not a good idea .lol 

any tips guys on ways round this for my tablet or pc ? 

Edited by adam4444
not finished

• 5 months later...

Bump, de bump bump

• 3 months later...

hope this is the right thread, my old phone was slowing down, didn't really want to upgrade but gone from a moto g3 to a realme 7 5g

so after a lot stuffing round  got most things transferred, my problem is with the LINE app, when i go to timeline the explore tab is missing, could someone explain in easy steps how to get it back.

is it a location/thai only number thing

thanks

5 hours ago, old geeza said:

when i go to timeline the explore tab is missing, could someone explain in easy steps how to get it back.

is it a location/thai only number thing

i would guess so. 

i've personally never even heard of "explore" and never had it show up it my app. some googling shows that it's a feature they released in april 2020 (called "discover" in japan and "explore" outside of japan). but it certainly never showed up in my app, regardless of my location... 

i assume it's linked to the phone number (which is a non-thai number for line in my case). 

anyone here has this feature? https://official-blog-en.line.me/archives/1077100398.html gives a quick description. 

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

On 16/09/2018 at 16:58, Notherenow said:

Your phone number is simply used as verification. The phone number you use is fairly irrelevant  as long as it  can receive a verification code. The shortcoming you will find is that once you lose your Thai number and somebody else gets it, if they open a Line account you will lose all of your information. There is a caveat to this in that I think if you create an ID this will protect your account. But I will have to investigate that further. 

I just lost my line account of a few years as it was registered with a phone number I no longer use and it appears someone else used that number to register a new account. I have a Line ID but that doesn’t do anything. I did not register an email with my line account which maybe would have been helpful. Nothing too important on there, but lost a few contacts that might be hard to reach again.

4 hours ago, pasta man said:

I did not register an email with my line account which maybe would have been helpful.

I agree. If you ever want to recover a Line account in the future, or have a second copy running on a computer, then setting an email address in Line is fairly important. And since it is a recovery email address, IMO it's best not to use some throw away email address as your account recovery address.

6 hours ago, petehoax said:

i would guess so. 

i've personally never even heard of "explore" and never had it show up it my app. some googling shows that it's a feature they released in april 2020 (called "discover" in japan and "explore" outside of japan). but it certainly never showed up in my app, regardless of my location... 

i assume it's linked to the phone number (which is a non-thai number for line in my case). 

anyone here has this feature? https://official-blog-en.line.me/archives/1077100398.html gives a quick description. 

My line is registered using a Thai number.

Screenshot_20210825-085902_LINE.jpg

^^ yeah that's it, maybe i'll change my number to the thai one set up LINE with, still got explore on old phone, but i am being locked out of explore now. thanks for replies'.

15 hours ago, pasta man said:

I just lost my line account of a few years as it was registered with a phone number I no longer use and it appears someone else used that number to register a new account. I have a Line ID but that doesn’t do anything. I did not register an email with my line account which maybe would have been helpful. Nothing too important on there, but lost a few contacts that might be hard to reach again.

I lost mine in a similar fashion.  I kept my LINE account on a specific phone, this phone died from water damage (July, early during pandemic). Even though I had an email registered with, when I tried to register it to my new phone it still wanted to verify the phone number associated with the account creation, which was a Thai sim long gone. 

I lost a lot of contacts, three women I was REALLY looking foward to seeing again. 

Oh well, to live is to have lost. 

I never knew of the 'Explore' option as the tab was light grey. Now I see there is a wealth of pics and videos hidden away.

yeah wish i didn't upgrade my phone lol, was something to pass the time on lunchbreak.

when you transfer your data to new phone, LINE app wants location/phone number to send verification code to, as above my Thai number out of date, i tried a few combos until it worked didn't know i would lose the explore tab. ps everything else, contacts/chat transferred ok.

just logged in with laptop, no explore tab but can't be sure if i every had it on laptop

Edited by old geeza

10 hours ago, eXplosief said:

My line is registered using a Thai number.

Screenshot_20210825-085902_LINE.jpg

Is that option useful for mongering?

2 hours ago, KhunChang said:

Is that option useful for mongering?

Have just now looked at it for the first time to make the screenshot. Have never used it.

5 hours ago, old geeza said:

yeah wish i didn't upgrade my phone lol, was something to pass the time on lunchbreak.

when you transfer your data to new phone, LINE app wants location/phone number to send verification code to, as above my Thai number out of date, i tried a few combos until it worked didn't know i would lose the explore tab. ps everything else, contacts/chat transferred ok.

just logged in with laptop, no explore tab but can't be sure if i every had it on laptop

I have an iphone and have 'transferred' LINE to another iphone when upgrading and then logged in using my registered email and password. All contacts are transferred although I don't keep the chat backed up so lose that - not a problem for me.

I haven't been asked for a tel no which is just as well as it's a phone where I keep changing SIMs as I travel.

I've not done a transfer for a year or so so hope requiring your orginal phone no is not a recent new 'feature' as mine is long gone!

register with email & password (and a phone number you always have access to) and set up automatic daily backups of all chats. that should cover 99.9% of all problems that can occur when you lose your phone or want to transfer your account to a new phone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried this morning to transfer my Line account  from old samsung phone to new Huawei phone

Registered number is EU one and i still have the corresponding SIM active with roaming in an old Iphone 4s and it works perfectly.

Transfered 2 or 3 times my line account without issue.

But this morning, impossible to get the code via SMS for registration.

The system knows i am trying to register this account as I get warning messages that someone is trying to register on the samsung Line App.

Impossible to get the code via phone call too.

The worrying part is that the more I try, the more I get captcha to fill on the Huawei phone, and i am afraid the account will get simply blocked at some point.

I don't have the possibility to sign on the new phone with email + password, only phone number or facebook.

Last resort i will try to link Line account with facebook which might cause other issues.

Before i try that, someone has an idea?

Edited by KhunChang

17 minutes ago, KhunChang said:

Before i try that, someone has an idea?

not really. but to make sure i understand you correctly: you say "I don't have the possibility to sign on the new phone with email + password, only phone number or facebook." <--- why is that the case? you have a working line account on your old phone with confirmed email + password, right? 

afaik the last time i switched phones, i could login with just password & email, but i might misremember. 

when you try to set up / login on your new phone: does the phone have the old sim-card in it? or is the sim still in the samsung phone? 

good luck, hope you get it working! 

4 minutes ago, petehoax said:

not really. but to make sure i understand you correctly: you say "I don't have the possibility to sign on the new phone with email + password, only phone number or facebook." <--- why is that the case? you have a working line account on your old phone with confirmed email + password, right? 

afaik the last time i switched phones, i could login with just password & email, but i might misremember. 

when you try to set up / login on your new phone: does the phone have the old sim-card in it? or is the sim still in the samsung phone? 

why is that the case? you have a working line account on your old phone with confirmed email + password, right? 

I don't know why, maybe it's new. I have confirmed email and pwd and use it to log on computer

https://help.line.me/line/?contentId=20000102

They do not include the possibility to log in on Line App with email + pwd oif SMS not working, only facebook. So seems you can't rely to email if you want to transfer to an other phone...

The SIM card is on a third phone (Apple). On my last attempt, I've tried with the SIM on the Huawei i'm trying to regsiter, same issue.

Thanks, might be that they have issue sending SMS atm. I will try register with facebook on the samsung and log in with facebook on new huawei.

7 minutes ago, eXplosief said:

Try sending a SMS to the registered SIM from another phone. Does it arrive?

Yes, in fact I  Received an SMS from the network provider about roaming costs when i connected the SIM to the Huawei so it looks fine.

So I've transfered successfully via linking to facebook.

Lucky me the old samsung phone was still working a bit.

• Like 2

I had no problems when I upgraded from my iPhone 6+ to 8+ a few years ago. Knock on wood it works again, as I just purchased a new phone and will be setting it up in the next few days. Same phone number, and I have email and password, so I do not anticipate any problems....but you never know!

I like to use the Line App on my PC or laptop on Windows 10.

It's much easier to type using the keyboard.

Download from the Microsoft Store, then use the QR code to log in to both.

We are all becoming good at QR codes these days!

• 1 month later...

Will all my "real" contacts be able see that I'm on line using my travel nickname. I dont want anybody connecting my phone number with my other names

46 minutes ago, burgher said:

Will all my "real" contacts be able see that I'm on line using my travel nickname. I dont want anybody connecting my phone number with my other names

this depends on your settings. 

a) if you don't register with your phone number, then no one will be able to connect your real phone number to your account. 

b) don't upload your adress book, don't give line access to it
c) don't enact "allow others to add me" ["allow other users to search for and automatically friend you using your phone number"]
i don't remember what the default setting is here, but if it's on, then turn it off!
d) same as c: "Auto-add friends", make sure this is turned off. both those settings are in the "friends" part of settings (on android at least). 

so if c & d are set up correctly, then no, they don't have access to it

if you use a) as well (for example register your line account with a thai phone number), then that's an additional layer of privacy (with the risk that you might lose your account sometimes in the future if you have login problems and cannot access that phone number anymore). 
and yeah, b) is a no-brainer for nearly all apps, unless it's like your phone dialer.