IGNORED

มีกี่คนอ่านประโยคนี่ได้ครับ

Treetopview

Translation:  How many people can read this sentence? 

Since I decided to move to Thailand, I've amped up my studying of reading, writing, and speaking Thai.  Many people will point out that my spoken Thai sucks, but that will improve once I'm there and speaking it more.  I'm interested in exploring when and where and how readily to reveal one's ability with Thai language.  For the most part, on my recent month-long visit, I used it right away as an ice-breaker, as a way to say something more than where I'm from and how long I will be staying in Thailand.

But the voyeur in me thinks I should withhold that ability unless it's really needed, in order to gain information on what people around me are thinking.  Now this is making a huge presumption that I will be able to understand them when they're speaking fast or speaking Isaan, but even now I'm able to parse the gist of what people around me are saying pretty often.

Then there's the oft-stated opinion that when a farang shows he is fairly good with the language, people will be more guarded, not wanting the farang to know what's being said.  I suspect that this may often be true in bar and gogo settings, but is probably the opposite of what people think when you're out and about in the general Thai areas and particularly when away from Pattaya and Sukhumvit road in Bangkok.

I travelled around the coastal areas between Pattaya and Rayong a fair amount on my recent trip with a good friend and PA boardmember who has good spoken Thai and invariably we were both met with smiles and appreciation when we spoke Thai.

ก็ผมอยากจะรู้ถ้าคนที่นี้ส่วนใหญ่คิดว่าเราต้องใช้ภาษาไทยทุกทีทุกอย่างหรือเปล่า

ผมดีใจที่ได้ถึงมาแล้ว

ผมอ่านได้เลยคับ

ใช้ภาษาไทยเองตลอดเวลา ยังไม่มีปัญหา คนไทยดีใจมากใช้ภาษาแม่คุยกับฟรัง :)

ต่างภูมิลำเนา แต่ว่าเฮาก็เป็นคนไทย

หลังจากอ่านมันมาให้ผมรู้ว่ากลุ่มคำ  ภาษาแม่        Of course, "mother tongue" is something I've heard before, just haven't come across the reference yet in Thai.

Your ability is quite good.  I'm curious, how often do Thai people say to you,  "Puut chaat?"  I've heard that Puut chaat is the 2nd highest compliment a Farang can receive on their language ability, with        พูดเหมือนคนไทย   ("Speak just like a Thai person") being the top.  To date I've been told       พูดชัด     just once, although I hear  "Puut geng" a lot!

ผมดีใจที่ได้ถึงมาแล้ว

On 28/12/2017 at 14:13, Treetopview said:

But the voyeur in me thinks I should withhold that ability unless it's really needed, in order to gain information on what people around me are thinking.  Now this is making a huge presumption that I will be able to understand them when they're speaking fast or speaking Isaan, but even now I'm able to parse the gist of what people around me are saying pretty often.

Then there's the oft-stated opinion that when a farang shows he is fairly good with the language, people will be more guarded, not wanting the farang to know what's being said.  I suspect that this may often be true in bar and gogo settings, but is probably the opposite of what people think when you're out and about in the general Thai areas and particularly when away from Pattaya and Sukhumvit road in Bangkok.

Yes, there is certainly the odd, experienced bar girl that doesn't like it if the customer speaks Thai because that generally means to her that he is going to be more difficult to scam. However, the advantages of speaking Thai far outweigh the disadvantages.

I speak Thai exclusively to Thai people. Occasionally I come across the odd Thai person who wants to speak English, usually because they want to improve their skills and I'm always happy to oblige them. Or when I'm in a business setting speaking to a Thai person educated overseas, in which case their English is usually completely fluent and better than my Thai.

Other times in a bar, I'm using only Thai. Everyone really appreciates this and it helps a lot to break the ice. I find it makes the girls immediately comfortable and puts them at ease.

Some other friends and acquitances speak fairly good English and with these people I engage in a horrible mish mash of Thai and English, with the language changing every few sentences.

Good on you for taking the effort to study and learn the language. You'll find it pays dividends.

52 minutes ago, Treetopview said:

หลังจากอ่านมันมาให้ผมรู้ว่ากลุ่มคำ  ภาษาแม่        Of course, "mother tongue" is something I've heard before, just haven't come across the reference yet in Thai.

Your ability is quite good.  I'm curious, how often do Thai people say to you,  "Puut chaat?"  I've heard that Puut chaat is the 2nd highest compliment a Farang can receive on their language ability, with        พูดเหมือนคนไทย   ("Speak just like a Thai person") being the top.  To date I've been told       พูดชัด     just once, although I hear  "Puut geng" a lot!

Actually i'm not sure with what Word Thais say Mother Tongue, ภาษาแม่ was my guess, never had to use it before lol.

พูดชัด i heard sometimes, also พูดเก่ง, as you sayed. But there is also an พูดออก? i guess, never read it in Thai, guess it means just "Ok", same as พูดได้

ต่างภูมิลำเนา แต่ว่าเฮาก็เป็นคนไทย

30 minutes ago, js89 said:

Other times in a bar, I'm using only Thai. Everyone really appreciates this and it helps a lot to break the ice. I find it makes the girls immediately comfortable and puts them at ease.

Some other friends and acquitances speak fairly good English and with these people I engage in a horrible mish mash of Thai and English, with the language changing every few sentences

Hm, that's interesting, I'm glad this is the prevailing reaction in a bar for you.  Although I CAN remember a number of times when I broke away from responding in English to some of the usual introductory questions, only to find that after using Thai the Thai lady became distant and uninterested.

As far as the mish mash, in all honesty it seems like Thai language is incorporating more and more English words (not happening the other way at all imo) and so the Thai/English chatter is becoming more common.

ผมดีใจที่ได้ถึงมาแล้ว

3 minutes ago, Treetopview said:

Hm, that's interesting, I'm glad this is the prevailing reaction in a bar for you.  Although I CAN remember a number of times when I broke away from responding in English to some of the usual introductory questions, only to find that after using Thai the Thai lady became distant and uninterested.

There are many bar girls with whom I have never spoken a word of English over the course of a couple of years. I'd submit that you probably don't want to know those ladies who become disinterested when you speak Thai anyway. They're probaby fakers. The ones that appreciate your language skills are more likely to be genuine.

24 minutes ago, jayjo said:

But there is also an พูดออก?

พูดออก  makes sense.  I think it would be "declaring" or "stating."  

มีคำ  พูดไม่ออก  เมื่อที่บางคนแปลกใจและไม่ได้พูดเลย

ผมดีใจที่ได้ถึงมาแล้ว

• 1 month later...

ผมอ่านและเกียนไทยได้ เมื่อพิมพ์ไม่ดูคีบอร์ด เรียนตัวเอง แต่ผมรู้จักแค่หนึงพันคำ นี้ชวยคุยกับผู้หญิงที่บาร์ๆแต่ไม่พอสําหรับชีวิตจรีง

ผมเคยเจอที่บาร์รูบี้คลับที่ซอยหกฝรั่งสกอตที่พูดภาษาเขมรแก่งมาก เขาบอกว่าเขาเคยมีเมียบุรีรัมย์หรือสุรีนทร์ (จำไม่ได้) แต่ผมรู้สึกประทับใจมากที่เขาพูดภาษาเขมรเก่งแบบนี้ เพราะเคยเห็นฝรั่งที่พูดไทยแต่ไม่เคยเห็นฝรั้งที่พูดเขมร (ครั่งแรกและครั่งเดียว)

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 06:32, yiko said:

ผมอ่านและเกียนไทยได้

ขอโทษที่ไม่ได้ตอบเร็วกว่า  น่าสนใจที่ฝรั่งคนนั้นมีสามารถสูงกับภาษาเขมร  ปรากฎว่าคุณกำลังก้าวหน้ากับภาษาไทยและเหมือนกับผมฝึกฝนทุกๆวัน

ผมดีใจที่ได้ถึงมาแล้ว

Archived