IGNORED

Big Kahuna

just hanging

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I suspect the clue to that is that the owner (or part-owner) was only there for part of the day.

Inconsistency is a common Thai trait.

Also doing it their way even after being well trained. 

I am curious about what they're trying to do now without the original Kahuna around anymore. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Kreggerz said:

Also doing it their way even after being well trained. 

have they started to serve ketchup with the pizza...?

13 minutes ago, jiz said:

Funny but I'm sure that's always been on offer as a condiment. 

Just read on James' FB page that his contract with Big Kahuna and Pirate Bay are coming to an end and he is moving on to the next big thing.

So there will soon be no direction from a farang on how BK will be running.

On 5/31/2018 at 01:28, jiz said:

Hey, I like that.  I quit buying ketchup almost four years ago because I get enough packets with pizza, etc that I'll never use it all.

• 4 months later...

Stopped in last night. The place seems to be on a downtrend.

I got there at 18:30 and there were no other customers. Only one other came in while I was there.

I ordered the Cuban sandwich, which I had before and liked last February. It was not very good. The onion rings were just plain bad.

Based on this one experience, I will not be back until I hear the place has improved.

• 2 months later...

Can’t really speak to pizza and sandwiches because I’ve pretty much only been in early on for breakfasts. But I used to go regularly when Jim was involved, and still drop by now and again.

The Thai family that was involved from the start are hands-on, hard-working, and pretty clued up. Location isn’t the best but they don’t do so badly. Breakfasts and coffees, for me no noticeable change after Jim went.

Dropped by this morning at 8, had the menu set fry-up at 180฿. Pretty massive with a choice of eggs, choice of sausage, bacon or ham. Sauteed potatoes with bacon bits, fried tomato, beans in BBQ sauce (yum), two toast (brown or white) with a pot of jam. Big glass of water. If I'd known sausage meat patties were already included I would have picked bacon or ham instead of the two sausages. The patties though were delicious. Maybe the sauteed mushroom and onion could have been more caramelised, but overall a very decent breakfast especially given the quantity.

As you can see from the bill, a large double shot cappuccino is 90฿ on the main menu, but discounted to 45฿ when you upgrade from the included set breakfast tea or coffee.

It's top value for sure, open for early risers, and parking is pretty easy roadside most of the day, if not right outside for a car, a bit further along near the 7.

18A776D4-5173-4AE0-A74E-F774BA5226EB.jpeg

BCA37B21-A2BE-4024-BCBC-90CFB0D04F30.jpeg

13E58822-FCBF-4D84-9E3B-42A83A0CAAC3.jpeg

CFF02876-F960-4175-9B65-B7EC31AF8A76.jpeg

FDB12FE4-B577-4395-8ACD-CD1BF52DF8A0.jpeg

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

• 4 weeks later...

Went in the other day for their small breakfast, 98 baht. Very nice and adequate for most. Comes with refillable coffee as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting word from some knowledgeable sources that BK is returning to form, at least for Lunch. This combined with EP's recent review will probably cause me to give them another try. I am guessing that the Breakfast and Lunch cook's are good. I am still suspicious about the supper talent. 

• 2 months later...
On 28/03/2018 at 21:34, TWD said:

I'm here about once a week. Pic is of the pancake breakfast at 180 baht. The cappuccino is a large one, double shot, for a 40 baht upgrade. Excellent value and quality blend too. (Not on menu, as large cups recently added). Includes a juice, reasonable size glass, and quality coffee, not filter.

They are very keen to please and don't hesitate to ask if you want the coffee served with breakfast rather than before, no problem just mention it to breakfast girl Nan, she's great.

20180323_103001.jpg

That is probably the best looking western breakfast I have seen from Pattaya.  Have to check it out just won't get my hopes up that they can make over easy eggs instead of sunny side up with runny whites regardless of how you order it.

When it is time for me to get my 'groove' on - I head to BIG Kahuna for a 'Marcellus' beef dip sandwich with either potato salad or their baked beans as a side, along with a pickle and dipping sauce.  The tasty sandwich comes with onions and cheese on it.  I go in there at least once a week to enjoy this treat!  Two hundred eighty (280) baht - includes a drink.

June 8 BIG Kahuna beef dip.jpg

I also stop by BIG Kahuna from time to time to enjoy one of their breakfasts.  I like the croissant breakfast sandwich with scrambled eggs and bacon covered in cheese or sometimes the eggs benedict.  Both of those are tasty dishes.  I also like the pancake breakfast.

1532624753_May15latebrunch.thumb.jpg.19071fa6af3ec04a0cd880930020a163.jpg

1442432090_June5BIGKahunaeggsbenedict.thumb.jpg.2e05afd15469da53a6d164bc8623b07a.jpg

If is lunch time - the 'Shaman' burger is a favorite of mine.  It has teriyaki glaze and a pineapple on it with a cheese topping.  The key to the burgers is the fact that BIG Kahuna does not freeze their ground beef.

Archived