IGNORED

Big Kahuna

just hanging

First of all, I like this restaurant. I will eat there fairly regularly as there are some dishes I like quite a lot and I haven't tried everything yet.

Which brings up that some of things I've tried just don't seem at the same level.

I tried the three egg bacon cheeseburger omelette which sounds like a fun concept. Well, I don't know if it's usually as poor as my experience, but if there were actually three eggs, they must have been small eggs, the fillings were surprising minimal (but good) and the omelette was very overcooked which was really the worst part. I also ordered home fried potatoes on the side for 45 baht (not on menu but I know they have them). They were OK but small portion and not really worth it. I was really looking forward to trying that dish but boy what a disappointment. But no problem, I'll just avoid their omelettes now. I generally don't order omelettes anyway but that style tempted me. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yah, i agree with you about the omelettes. I was not very satisfied with the one I had ether. For breakfast I like the croissant sandwich. It is a simple filling and tasty light meal. The pancake breakfast also looked nice but I personally have never had it. I like the lunch sandwiches and burgers. That is the reason to go to the Big Khulna.  If you are in the Jomtien area it is worth stopping by. If you are in Pattaya there are plenty of good places to eat and no reason to come all the way over to Jomtien beach. 

I wonder if the omelettes are ever good there or whether we got unlucky. Referring to the menu descriptions of overflowing with ingredients, are they ever like that? It wouldn't be that hard to fix that, especially the problem of overcooking.

I like the pancake breakfast. Just had it again. This time the eggs over easy were done well. I tried the sausage with it instead of the bacon and liked it. In P and R the pancakes had some corn ingredient added that gave them a special flavor but it's not in Kahuna's pancakes because of a supply issue.

I solved the "mystery" of the fat in the pizza crust. I was told they don't put fat in the pizza crust but do add butter to the top of the calzone to make it brown. That makes sense. I had the calzone and tasted fat in the crust. It was butter.

Delivery is apparently 50 baht within their delivery zone, near or far, which goes to a freelance driver. Good to know for Songkran. They're closed the 18th and 19th.

On 2/3/2018 at 16:02, Kreggerz said:

Then had the Moco Loco which is a Hawaiian Japanese fusion food. This was two excellently grilled small burger patties served with excellently cooked fried eggs over rice and some brown gravy with more gravy on the side. This traditional comfort food would normally have some macaroni salad served with it on the side but they don't have that item on the menu yet. Optional but a really good add also is caramelized onions. I think if they add the macaroni salad and onions or at least the macaroni salad, they would have a big winner with that dish and its something you would eat for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Now it's on the breakfast menu probably because it has eggs. Until they complete it with at least the macaroni salad, I wouldn't recommend the dish. 

Update on this.

I did order it again just to see if anything has changed after I had made suggestions there to make the dish more complete though I didn't really expect any changes.

I was told they're not going to do macaroni salad for internal production reasons which I can't argue with.

So I ordered a side of potato salad as a substitute.

This time the dish was served with one larger burger patty under the egg. The fried eggs wasn't spectacular as before. This time just one egg and not cooked as well. I had expected it to be like before so when it arrived I stupidly thought the burger(s) was missing. Nope.

Looked on the menu later. It clearly says two eggs. That's kind of annoying.

So if you order it and get one, go ahead and ask for the second as that's the offer.

Anyway, the potato salad did help but small portion at 45 baht. No carmelized onions not that I expected them. Yes I could have asked but wasn't willing to pay an extra side for that.

Talked to the owner who said you could ask for the onions and I guess it was implied that would be free but really not sure.

In any case, I think they're making a mistake with that offer. If it was offered as is with a drink like a burger and also an included side and the onions, instead of on the breakfast menu, I think they might have a special signature dish. As it is, it comes off as incomplete and too bland and boring so I can't imagine very many people would order it more than once as a novelty item. 

More insider info on the pizza.

As I said I did really like their calzone and now I know the fat in the crust is from a butter topping.

So I wanted to try their pizza, which isn't made with a fat added crust.

Apparently the menu needs updating and after some discussion a waitress told me I could order the standard size, 14", and also a smaller size, 12". I could also choose the type of crust. What I though was regular/normal or thin crust though the confusion happened because I used the words normal and medium to avoid getting the thin crust. So I thought I ordered a small 12" medium-normal crust and not a thin crust. The waitress wasn't able to tell me the price of this choice but assured me it would lower than the standard price.

So what arrived was a small but it was the thin crust.

Pizza tastes are subjective but I found the crust unpleasant in a more objective way. Thin yes, dry, almost no flavor, and cardboard like texture. I cannot recommend it. 

Now I could have maybe sent it back because of the crust communication issue but I decided what the heck, try it to see what their thin crust is like. Now I know.

This time I did find the tomato sauce on the too sugary side. The pepperoni was nothing special. 

So when the bill came I wanted to understand how the mistake happened so the pizza cook actually came out and did confirm there are four choices, 12 or 14 inches, and thin or the "other" not think crust.

So I asked the key question. What do you call the crust that is not thin? Answer was pan crust.

So if you don't want the thin crust, I think if you say pan crust you will get their thicker crust. Don't say normal or regular.

I was also told there will be a menu update about this later. 

For Pizza,stick to Pizza Art. Just a little further down the road. I have tried several of their pizzas and never been disappointed. They will be open again on April 21st. 

1 minute ago, mcjimmys said:

For Pizza,stick to Pizza Art. Just a little further down the road. I have tried several of their pizzas and never been disappointed. They will be open again on April 21st. 

I totally agree. I love their pizza. The crust is amazing.

But I know people will try Kahuna's pizzas. So far, I can't recommend the thin crust, I can recommend their calzone for an American calzone experience, and no opinion on their not-thin pan crust though good chance I won't even bother with it as I know I like their calzone. 

I do like a good calzone. Maybe I will give it a try. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, mcjimmys said:

I do like a good calzone. Maybe I will give it a try. Thanks!

Pizzart has one calzone choice. Unfortunately a lot of the dough was too raw when I tried it as it's thick and they do mostly pizzas so probably more prone to mistakes. I would stick to the pizzas there. Be warned Kahuna is a tomato sauce on the side style calzone. Italians might faint or something. 

I have not been into the Big Kahuna in a month or so now, as I am trying to eat lighter and also my lady friend would not like this level of Farang food. I did like their version of a Cuban Sandwich, although it has nothing in common with the iconic Key West version. A buddy of my from Texas likes the Pulled Pork BBQ a lot.

There were a couple of items I did not care for. The Hawaiian Chicken BBQ Sandwich for one, just to sweet for me. The Ruben was not at my level of expectation either. The Corned Beef was dry and the bread did not support the goo level.

I will be back, as the place is well run and seems to strive to improve. I am not a breakfast guy.

Been meaning to try ArtPizza, but they closed early for Songkran. Also, the street lady very near there making fried chicken produces a tasty product IMO. We go with that and the noodle soup at least once a week.

Tampa style has salami in it. Miami / Key West doesn't. The old P and R Cuban was really good and Tampa style. Haven't tried Kahuna's version yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_sandwich

I have to agree it's a mixed bag there. So far, I really did like their Marcellus (beef French dip) a lot but who knows if it will be as good the next time. I'm surprised a Texan liked their pulled pork.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the Marcellus (their version of a French dip beef sandwich) again and unfortunately it wasn't as good as last time. Two changes. The onion soup this time was clear broth rather than a proper onion soup but they did add onions to be inside the sandwich. So that was OK. For this sandwich you're supposed to dip the bread in the broth.  A crusty French baguette is often used. Well they changed the bread to be a soft style. So you're dipping an already soft bread into broth. Not so good. The previous bread was better (not as soft). Not ideal either, but better. I did inform the staff about this. I hope they change the bread again. 

• 2 weeks later...

They've finally removed the bamboo curtain from the front ..it looks like it's open now !
Heard a rumour ( in the bar next door ) , that Jim is no longer involved ? And that he is back at the Pirates ( bay / cove / den ) whatever ., down on Dongtan beach .

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

Really?

Interesting. 

I think that's just a rumor at this point.

I have found a lot of inconsistency there.

Like even in their popular buttermilk pancake breakfast set.

Recently had it and not only weren't the pancakes as good the side of ham wasn't either. It seems like they changed the style of the ham.  If they use the style I got in their pizzas and ham sandwiches I wouldn't like it either.

On the French dip bread which I had an issue with before, happily I was told there will now be a choice between the softer and harder bread. As it's meant to be dipped in broth, I would suggest the harder bread but I haven't sampled their new bread choice for that yet.

4 hours ago, gusincebu said:

They've finally removed the bamboo curtain from the front ..it looks like it's open now !
Heard a rumour ( in the bar next door ) , that Jim is no longer involved ? And that he is back at the Pirates ( bay / cove / den ) whatever ., down on Dongtan beach .

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

Correct

26 minutes ago, socrates said:

Correct

According to this, he had the other restaurant going all along. So seeing him there doesn't prove he's not involved anymore at Kahuna.

I would be glad to offer you a free meal of your choice to compensate for your poor experience. My name is Jim. Please ask for me by name. I am here ever day other than Sunday but usually in the afternoon as I attend my other restaurant in the morning.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d13388091-Reviews-Big_Kahuna-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

On 18/05/2018 at 11:43, Kreggerz said:

According to this, he had the other restaurant going all along. So seeing him there doesn't prove he's not involved anymore at Kahuna.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d13388091-Reviews-Big_Kahuna-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Hes definitely out

4 hours ago, socrates said:

Hes definitely out

What happened? 

What happened? 
Well I could relate the rest of the rumour I heard, but u probably wouldn't believe that either..
Best you go down to Pirates@dongtan and ask him.
You could do a poor food review while you're there, and get another free meal.

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, gusincebu said:

Well I could relate the rest of the rumour I heard, but u probably wouldn't believe that either..
Best you go down to Pirates@dongtan and ask him.
You could do a poor food review while you're there, and get another free meal.

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

Such a tease. 

So back to Kahuna, as nobody is spilling the beans, I guess that means the place is going to change more as the big Kahuna is away. It was already weirdly inconsistent. 

He had partnered with the Thai owners of the property, no?

What could possibly go wrong.....

2 hours ago, jiz said:

He had partnered with the Thai owners of the property, no?

What could possibly go wrong.....

If that's the story, that explains a lot. That's really too bad. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been back there recently?

How have things changed since the Big Kahuna Farang partner left?

I noticed they are mixing up the menu a lot now.

Chicken wings, pasta specials, daily specials on pizza  prices. 

Sometimes that's good news for customers and sometimes that's a sign of desperation.

I'm skeptical of the place now.

I have an idea though. Might that venue be an ideal place to bring in a talented creative chef to create a new menu? I mean the Hawaiian theme is already falling apart anyway. How about that excellent chef lady that quit from White Pines?

On 20/05/2018 at 13:06, Kreggerz said:

It was already weirdly inconsistent. 

I suspect the clue to that is that the owner (or part-owner) was only there for part of the day.

Inconsistency is a common Thai trait.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I suspect the clue to that is that the owner (or part-owner) was only there for part of the day.

Inconsistency is a common Thai trait.

Many Thai cooks would never taste the farang food.

An owner needs to be on site monitoring the action but then the Thais would be bitter, hate him and quit or sabatoge  the operation.

Archived