IGNORED

Big Kahuna

just hanging

3 minutes ago, davidge said:

I thought the 2 pics posted earlier WAS the full menu?

Anyway, as with PoR, it’s not the type of food that appeals to me in the slightest. Still wish the bloke good luck though.

Maybe the prices were high in PoR to cover the owner’s other ‘expenses’. :rolleyes:

Not the full menu because no desserts or drinks, so there must be more of it.

No idea about the owners "other expenses" but whatever the reasons for the prices, they were ones that hardly anyone would pay and that killed them.

Same as you I wish the guy good luck, sure the food wont appeal to everyone, just like yourself, but easily it will to most others.

The success of McDonald's globally proves that, not saying BK is like them, only that it serves burgers as well and burgers are popular world wide.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually haven't seen a drinks and desserts menu. You can ask what they have and the price. Remember, it is a very new restaurant. I would expect probably further adjustments to the menu in future. I like the drink included thing (not the pizzas though) but don't know if that will last either. 

18 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

I wouldn't oversell the Hawaiian thing. Most people in Thailand don't even know what that is. It's basically American food with some Hawaiian influences in some dishes.

You are probably right. I certainly have no experience of Hawaiian food (dont like spam and dont like pineapple except as plain fruit) and the only other Hawaiian place I know of is the one Harbor Mall, and that may have closed already as it didnt seem at all popular when I saw it a few months ago. To me Hawaiian translates as "bland with pineapple", though that is just my impression and may be completely incorrect. But if the name and decor make me think Hawaii then those other thoughts will come along for the ride. Maybe in the Philippines it would catch on.

Even so, this place needs some sort of sign to indicate to drivers that it serves food, and what type of food. Otherwise people like me just wont bother to stop and look.

On 2/4/2018 at 08:17, mcjimmys said:

The seats are not very comfortable to sit for very long. The small tables feel very cramped. I have not tried the booths.  ........

The booths are comfortable for me. I am not a large person.

They’ve finalised the menu:

E9FDADDD-45D5-4A86-8B0D-D69D201C0973.jpeg.1dd6b2066897d67b2f7f31bec210e7a9.jpegF3B21397-75EF-4A58-BE9E-7B9EF982047F.jpeg.f54fee4a3b96f7d97b8e2ea241a81e6d.jpegAB1EB516-6637-4B9D-9CAC-86171449282E.jpeg.190e9ba513f579e1191300dfe1a9e656.jpeg440501E4-AC92-4C7C-BF77-FB4DC10BD5B7.jpeg.2caef37c6b1f72d5649e568dbf2fe2e1.jpeg38EA23DD-D032-4199-8C4B-080A64F93528.jpeg.9defaefa9bed6f367054ce6d425e90bf.jpeg0573A90E-79EF-4053-B442-B643D2191C0B.jpeg.ef1d0c503d9028561a8eed008c2a5a87.jpeg

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I kinda like the names of the first three burgers as they challenge you to remember the Pulp Fiction movie scene with Big Kahuna burger. I think majority of food is way overpriced and can have half the price around Jomtien. Thai food prices are just ridiculous. My TGF just said WTF!!! Who will pay 200bht for ordinary Thai dish. maybe the first restaurant in Jomtien, where you can get your sandwich cheaper than TGF's fix of thai food. I guess they think falang want their food and then pay for the ladies food also. My TGF would never let me pay 200bht for her Pad Kra pow

Also this joint doesn't make itself very regogniced. I drive past it 10 times/week and never seen it. If it is in the old PoR site, the empty PoR unit caught my attention few times, but now it looks like a building site with all that bamboo. 

1 hour ago, jpmelville said:

I kinda like the names of the first three burgers as they challenge you to remember the Pulp Fiction movie scene with Big Kahuna burger. I think majority of food is way overpriced and can have half the price around Jomtien. Thai food prices are just ridiculous. My TGF just said WTF!!! Who will pay 200bht for ordinary Thai dish. maybe the first restaurant in Jomtien, where you can get your sandwich cheaper than TGF's fix of thai food. I guess they think falang want their food and then pay for the ladies food also. My TGF would never let me pay 200bht for her Pad Kra pow

Also this joint doesn't make itself very regogniced. I drive past it 10 times/week and never seen it. If it is in the old PoR site, the empty PoR unit caught my attention few times, but now it looks like a building site with all that bamboo. 

big kahuna can be found in other tarantino movies .............reservoir dogs and from dusk till dawn !

Menu looks good.

Agree about Thai food being way over priced. At end of the day, Thai food is Thai food, no matter how it is pimped up.

As for our food, while not cheap, if quality is good, I would happily pay 235 for a good burger.

Yes, they do need to have a better sign, easily missed, perhaps a neon sign??

Menu looks good.

Yes, they do need to have a better sign, easily missed, perhaps a neon sign??

How about buying an old VW Kombi paint in those Kahuna colours.. Surfboard on the top.
Parked outside, plus use as mobile marketing tool.
Park on Jomtien Beach, half day.
Rhompo in the evening.
Etc etc. Basic stuff.

For outside, a couple of Tiki style carvings, a little greenery and some up lighting.
Just my thoughts..

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I'm here about once a week. Pic is of the pancake breakfast at 180 baht. The cappuccino is a large one, double shot, for a 40 baht upgrade. Excellent value and quality blend too. (Not on menu, as large cups recently added). Includes a juice, reasonable size glass, and quality coffee, not filter.

They are very keen to please and don't hesitate to ask if you want the coffee served with breakfast rather than before, no problem just mention it to breakfast girl Nan, she's great.

20180323_103001.jpg

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

big kahuna supplied some of the party food for larrys birthday in Babydolls last sunday night. i didn't have any of it myself but others i was with were raving about it especially the ribs.

Big " Thumbs up " for the great food, served by really friendly staff.......

This place is now my first choice when I need a variety of top tasting burgers !

Well done to James and his cook Danny......

I ate a CalZone this afternoon.  It was the best one I ever had!

Had the Cuban yesterday, it was great! 

They've put an A-board outside with some writing on it, but when I drive by I still get the feeling that it is offering something dubious or that it is closed. It just doesnt look like an open restaurant from the road.

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

They've put an A-board outside with some writing on it, but when I drive by I still get the feeling that it is offering something dubious or that it is closed. It just doesnt look like an open restaurant from the road.

my thoughts exactly

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

During the day, I see your point. But at night the light coming through the front rails looks super cool and it definitely looks open. In any case, it's a place targeted to expats. Expats know it's there. 

On 3/29/2018 at 18:33, Komando said:

I ate a CalZone this afternoon.  It was the best one I ever had!

I just tried their calzone as well.

I had the one with sausage, pepperoni, and olives.

It's served with the tomato sauce on the side.

I didn't find it overly sweet as I've heard complaints about before. Maybe they listened and cut the sugar. 

Visually and by taste, their calzone screams Italian American food rather than Italian. 

Not saying that's a bad thing. Just what it is.

I liked it very much but the crust reminded me of the crust at Pastrami and Rye. A good bit of some kind of fat used in making it. Whether that's true or not isn't the point as it tasted that way. Almost tasted like it might be pork lard in it like you'd put in pie crust.

I'd go there when I want an Italian American experience, but for pizza and calzone, I'll still mostly go to very Italian Pizzaart down the street which has a very purist Neapolitan crust. 

BTW, I tried their pulled pork sandwich. 

It's not my favorite sandwich there and I don't think I'll order it again. I think they're trying to do some kind of Hawaiian style pulled pork. I'm looking for a more Southern U.S. BBQ pulled pork experience which is sold other places in town. Also, oddly, the pork kind of reminded me of the pork over rice Thai street food. 

On 29/03/2018 at 09:11, striderman said:

big kahuna supplied some of the party food for larrys birthday in Babydolls last sunday night. i didn't have any of it myself but others i was with were raving about it especially the ribs.

Agreed.... I pigged on the ribs. They were delicious.

I had their breakfast croissant yesterday. It is perfect for someone who is not looking for a full breakfast with all the trimmings. It was very tasty with good quality ingredients. I had them bring the coffee with my meal. A good idea as the croissant took about 15 minutes to arrive. They said they only had 3 people on staff yesterday so things were slow. I enjoyed my breakfast very much. They seem to be getting busier as more people find out about them. I wish them success as more quality eating places are needed in Jomtien.  I have also had their ham and cheese sandwich. It is also quite nice.  Quite large with a side and drink for 220 baht. Not a bad deal.

On 3/31/2018 at 15:23, Kreggerz said:

I liked it very much but the crust reminded me of the crust at Pastrami and Rye. A good bit of some kind of fat used in making it. Whether that's true or not isn't the point as it tasted that way. Almost tasted like it might be pork lard in it like you'd put in pie crust.

I'd go there when I want an Italian American experience, but for pizza and calzone, I'll still mostly go to very Italian Pizzaart down the street which has a very purist Neapolitan crust. 

As I recall you are an East Coast (USA) guy who has spent some time in Chicago. As you know there are various types of Chicago pizza. Primarily it comes down to deep dish (North Side and Tourists) vs thin crust (South Side). I was raised a South-Sider (Blue Collar) and that is my preference. The old Pastrami and Rye Pizza resembled a South Side thin crust, although they went out of business before I ever tried one. From what I saw during a couple of Big Kahuna stops the new pizza version still resembles a South Side Chicago pizza.

I would guess that PizzaArt is the small place just to the left on Thappraya as you exit the VT2 complex. To me Neapolitan implies a Brooklyn middle crust, which I also like. I have been reluctant to try PizzaArt due to the place usually being almost empty when I walk by.

I would be interested in any comments on my ramblings. I am working myself into a lather for my monthly pizza fix and so not want to waste my April shot. :)

Pizzart doesn't resemble any style of American pizza. 

It's purist Neopolitan. 

The crust is chewy, charred, and much more soft than crisp.

It's a lighter eating experience though not thin crust.

I can see that Kahuna has midwest influences, sure. I do wonder what kind of fat is in the crust but I'm afraid to ask. 

I stopped in today for lunch. I had the ham and cheddar sandwich with chips and a coke. 210 baht for the meal and very filling. The sandwich was piled high with ham. Plenty of melted cheese as well. The fries were quite good. It came with a tasty dill pickle wedge. I really enjoyed the meal. The waitress told me they would be closed on April 18-19 for the holiday. The Big Kahuna is rapidly becoming my go to place for real quality American comfort food. Only one other customer when I was there. I hope their business picks up as they really have great food. 

Archived