Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Big Kahuna

just hanging

Just dropped in for a coffee, very nice too. Pastrami & Rye used to be my go to when I lived in VT 5 ( until Sandbar opened ).
Thought the bamboo curtain exterior might be off-putting, but from inside still allows light and views of the highway :) .
Sat near a guy who had the Moca Loca breakfast. Looked awesome, and very filling.
Will be back when I'm hungry. 146efa3446495885ace6474e45f0b030.jpg85f70beca4535b6da24c0cdb50b9aba3.jpgcea9e6852e075e347753e8c40835f60d.jpg

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, misteregg said:

Now you’re talking.
I’m guessing this is a Hawaii thing, right?

Yes, Spam is crazy popular in Hawaii. You really cannot have a Hawaiian themed restaurant without Spam. It would be like excluding pineapple from your menu items. 

1 hour ago, BeerBelly said:

Yes, Spam is crazy popular in Hawaii. You really cannot have a Hawaiian themed restaurant without Spam.

AND with good cause. Ignore the detractors. 

As I've heard others say: "You (in this case "they") don't know what's good. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8huXkSaL7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi9msf1Vvi4

31 minutes ago, CyberPro said:

AND with good cause. Ignore the detractors. 

As I've heard others say: "You (in this case "they") don't know what's good. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8huXkSaL7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi9msf1Vvi4

The Hawaiian pizza was not invented in Hawaii. Had it been, more likely it would have been Spam and pineapple,  not ham and pineapple. Maybe James can correct this in one of his offerings.

Anybody try the corned beef sandwich? It looks good and for 275 baht including drink and side is a good price also. 

But I do wish this place was in Pattaya proper.

• 3 weeks later...

I have stopped in a couple of times as this is an easy walk from my condo. Makes for a good relatively inexpensive lighter supper. The owner seems to be working hard to improve the menu and they have a great customer focus.

I had the Ruben and I have to say that the corned beef seemed a little dry given my tastes. I am an American, so maybe my expectations are a little different.

I also had the Cuban and I liked that. It's not a classic Key West version, but I found it to be quite tasty.

Burgers and pizza at other tables looked good, but no spam here please.:)

All in all - a decent place to have in my rotation for light suppers in this area.

I've been three times already.

First time the pancake breakfast. Good value for that. Huge pancakes including bacon, two eggs, and coffee or tea. The syrup of course isn't real maple but not expecting that for the price. The eggs requested over easy weren't cooked correctly. The coffee was just OK. But nice pancakes. Over easy eggs are hard to get in Thailand.

Then had the Moco Loco which is a Hawaiian Japanese fusion food. This was two excellently grilled small burger patties served with excellently cooked fried eggs over rice and some brown gravy with more gravy on the side. This traditional comfort food would normally have some macaroni salad served with it on the side but they don't have that item on the menu yet. Optional but a really good add also is caramelized onions. I think if they add the macaroni salad and onions or at least the macaroni salad, they would have a big winner with that dish and its something you would eat for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Now it's on the breakfast menu probably because it has eggs. Until they complete it with at least the macaroni salad, I wouldn't recommend the dish. 

Then had the Marsellus which is their version of the classic American sandwich, the French Dip. Yes it's called French but it ain't.  This is a baguette type bread with roast beef and sometimes cheese traditionally served with a cup of au jus but in their case an excellent onion soup. You're supposed to dip the sandwich into the Liquid while eating, softening the bread. Maybe sounds weird to non-Americans, but it's a great dish. Their version was quite good. In my view not quite enough roast beef but there is definitely plenty of food regardless as it's a big piece of bread and plenty of cheese. You choose one side. I had their excellent beans but wish there was more of it. The bread they used was pretty good but not great. They might want to experiment with different breads to make it even better. But it's a great menu item as presented now. 

I have suggested to the restaurant to make the Moco Loco more complete with at least the macaroni salad and I also suggested adding home fried potatoes to the omelette sets. I was informed that you could order home fried potatoes as an extra side even though it's not on the menu.

My last visit they had the Hawaiian music going. I thought the music was really cheesy and annoying. It wouldn't stop me from going there, but I told them that how awful I think the music is. I ask others to comment to the restaurant whether you like it or not.  The Hawaiian theme in general is fine, with the decorations, and it's reflected on some menu items, but I really think they would be better off dropping that awful Hawaiian music. That's my opinion. If you agree or disagree, please inform the restaurant. 

On 14/01/2018 at 10:27, gusincebu said:

Thought the bamboo curtain exterior might be off-putting, but from inside still allows light and views of the highway

It may be OK from inside but when driving past outside it makes the place look closed and unappealing to me. Maybe on foot it's better.

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

It may be OK from inside but when driving past outside it makes the place look closed and unappealing to me. Maybe on foot it's better.

You kind of have a point. I doesn't look all that inviting or even Hawaiian. I seriously doubt that decoration is going to make or break the place though. They have some really good and some unusual menu items, the food is good and reasonably priced, and the owner clearly is open minded about making improvements. I really hope they succeed.

Actually I agree, was just trying to put a positive spin on it.. Fail :( .
I ride past everyday and does look closed.
Maybe they can add a bit of colour something to it to attract attention.
( but not a waving man like outside Tinnies)

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

Hi, I would have to agree with most of the comments. I have eaten there 4 times now. All for breakfast. I did go once for lunch on a Monday then found out it was closed on Monday’s. Again as people have said you can not tell until you get to the door as the bamboo sticks block the windows and it always looks closed from the street. The food  I have had is great. They use quality ingredients. My problem is that it feels more like a take out place. The seats are not very comfortable to sit for very long. The small tables feel very cramped. I have not tried the booths.  I always feel rushed even though it is never very full. I do not like the music ether so I sit outside most of the time. I hope the owner can make it feel more welcoming and comfortable as the food is quite good. Another problem I had was that when I ordered breakfast it comes with a small cup of coffee which they bring quickly. By the time the breakfast comes the coffee is nearly finished and cold. The timing is not right.  Who wants to drink a half a cup of cold coffee with their nice breakfast? I hope the owner can sort out the small details that would make this a great place to spend a relaxing hour enjoying some really good  food. For now I will just stick to The Pirate Bay. It is far more relaxing. The food is ok and it has great views of the sea. Just my thoughts. 

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The bamboo motif makes the patio cozy but the view from the road could be more appealing. 

How about some tall live bamboo in large pots out front to blend it in ?

Perhaps painting the poles would look nice.

Maybe remove some by changing spacing like 5 poles then a gap of 3 ..repeat pattern would open it up?

Nice little restaurant and wish him well  

On 14/01/2018 at 15:25, misteregg said:

Now you’re talking.
I’m guessing this is a Hawaii thing, right?

There are nearly 390,000,000 cans of Spam consumed per year in 40 countries.

Not just a Hawaiian thing.

And there was a Kosher Spam for a while.

It’s s very good point about looking closed the owner needs to correct that. I only read about the place on here and drove by the other day and thought to myself that place didn’t last long!

2 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

Maybe a flashing neon sign would help?

I personally don't have a problem with the way it looks. I would prefer keeping it the way it is so it is more comfortable INSIDE. Though having a sign outside might help some people, but having gone through this very thing myself, I can tell you no matter what you do, people won't get it. They just won't bother to read hours or signs. I have had people come way after hours when the lights are off asking if I was open. And I still get people coming on Mondays having never been open on Monday.

The reason I think the bamboo works is that it is a landmark. Sure, the first time you go, you might be confused if it is open, though I always check hours on Facebook before I go. However, subsequent times you go, it is VERY EASY to identify. And I think that is worth a lot.

10 hours ago, jiz said:

Maybe remove some by changing spacing like 5 poles then a gap of 3 ..repeat pattern would open it up?

That's what I would do.

A large sign saying "Hawaiian food" might not come amiss either. From a car it could be a massage parlour.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

That's what I would do.

A large sign saying "Hawaiian food" might not come amiss either. From a car it could be a massage parlour.

I wouldn't oversell the Hawaiian thing. Most people in Thailand don't even know what that is. It's basically American food with some Hawaiian influences in some dishes. I think the only thing strictly Hawaiian is the Moco Loco. Sure spam on some stuff is a Hawaiian touch, but it's still a burger even with spam. 

4 hours ago, BeerBelly said:

I personally don't have a problem with the way it looks. I would prefer keeping it the way it is so it is more comfortable INSIDE. Though having a sign outside might help some people, but having gone through this very thing myself, I can tell you no matter what you do, people won't get it. They just won't bother to read hours or signs. I have had people come way after hours when the lights are off asking if I was open. And I still get people coming on Mondays having never been open on Monday.

The reason I think the bamboo works is that it is a landmark. Sure, the first time you go, you might be confused if it is open, though I always check hours on Facebook before I go. However, subsequent times you go, it is VERY EASY to identify. And I think that is worth a lot.

It's not a problem for me. I know their hours already. It is a very high street traffic area and moderate foot traffic as well. There probably is something a bit more he could do to invite people in but I don't know what that is. 

First time I’ve seen this thread.

Best of luck to the bloke. Not easy setting up a restaurant in Pattaya/Jomtien so always wish anyone trying it success.

From the menu it does seem to be have the same target audience as Pastrami & Rye and that failed. Guess it could have been due to the owner not giving the restaurant his full attention though :wacko:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

1 hour ago, davidge said:

First time I’ve seen this thread.

Best of luck to the bloke. Not easy setting up a restaurant in Pattaya/Jomtien so always wish anyone trying it success.

From the menu it does seem to be have the same target audience as Pastrami & Rye and that failed. Guess it could have been due to the owner not giving the restaurant his full attention though :wacko:

POR was too expensive and that's what killed it.

The food was good though but not good enough, in obviously most peoples eyes, to justify the prices for what was a burgers, pizzas and sandwiches joint.

BK seems to have pitched its prices lower so its got a much better chance than POR ever did.

Reading here about the bamboo making the place look closed or like a massage shop is not the way to go.

The guys probably focused on how it looks from the inside for customers looking out, rather than getting them to want to come in.

Easy thing to change and if the foods good and the prices stay reasonable it will appeal to a wide market because virtually everyone likes burgers and pizzas.

Maybe, as its an Hawaiian theme, he should go for Hawaii Five-O named daily specials

The Book em Danno Burger, for example, with spam only as an optional extra (ever ever EVER with anything lol)

It would be great if someone could post photos of the full menu for us all.

3 minutes ago, CuppaTea said:

POR was too expensive and that's what killed it.

The food was good though but not good enough, in obviously most peoples eyes, to justify the prices for what was a burgers, pizzas and sandwiches joint.

BK seems to have pitched its prices lower so its got a much better chance than POR ever did.

Reading here about the bamboo making the place look closed or like a massage shop is not the way to go.

The guys probably focused on how it looks from the inside for customers looking out, rather than getting them to want to come in.

Easy thing to change and if the foods good and the prices stay reasonable it will appeal to a wide market because virtually everyone likes burgers and pizzas.

Maybe, as its an Hawaiian theme, he should go for Hawaii Five-O named daily specials

The Book em Danno Burger, for example, with spam only as an optional extra (ever ever EVER with anything lol)

It would be great if someone could post photos of the full menu for us all.

I thought the 2 pics posted earlier WAS the full menu?

Anyway, as with PoR, it’s not the type of food that appeals to me in the slightest. Still wish the bloke good luck though.

Maybe the prices were high in PoR to cover the owner’s other ‘expenses’. :rolleyes:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Archived