LaaMok

A rare and one off post - want to manage a bar?

K...
On 17/11/2018 at 18:27, LaaMok said:

None from the forum,  we currently need 7-9 guys for the new bars and existing ones.

Arriving in 2 weeks and interested. 

Will make myself known. 

LaaMok
19 hours ago, K... said:

Arriving in 2 weeks and interested. 

Will make myself known. 

Thank you, please talk to Vag

Bawdy
On 18/11/2018 at 01:27, LaaMok said:

None from the forum,  we currently need 7-9 guys for the new bars and existing ones.

Chok dee, someone actually asked me to manage a bar on Soi 6 yesterday.

Barbapiccola

Girls at Mod's asked to me managed it.... :D

I would rather buy it! Love the place

Brianrich1

Not sure if I'm cut out to be a manager. I do possess many of the qualities to be one though. I would love to move there and make some coin. Are there any part owner opportunities available? Start up or buy in information?

LaaMok
On 24/03/2019 at 17:26, Brianrich1 said:

Not sure if I'm cut out to be a manager. I do possess many of the qualities to be one though. I would love to move there and make some coin. Are there any part owner opportunities available? Start up or buy in information?

Many guys approach us to invest 1-2m baht but we have 7 equal partners, if we were to take on another investor it would be for an equal share but for a very large amount.  We can grow organically from profits,  I did recently post a loan scheme where we can borrow money for a fixed percent,  I haven't been pushing it though.  Thank you for visiting Mods bar, some great girls there.

Brianrich1
9 hours ago, LaaMok said:

Many guys approach us to invest 1-2m baht but we have 7 equal partners, if we were to take on another investor it would be for an equal share but for a very large amount.  We can grow organically from profits,  I did recently post a loan scheme where we can borrow money for a fixed percent,  I haven't been pushing it though.  Thank you for visiting Mods bar, some great girls there.

Thanks for your reply. It was a pleasure visiting your bars. I have learned a lot from this forum. It's hard to slow down from Holiday mode when I'm in Pattaya. But when I do I see that it's good Business being done all around me.

Maghdaman

Thanks Xylanic and Laamok for a riviting read, tons of great insights! 

I have a few questions about this topic and I would be one happy camper if you have a minute to answer them. 

1. How often does it happen that guys comes and works for you and burn out, say, within the first 6 month? Is it a common occurrence? 

2. Is there any prior (western-) experience that you are interested in in your applicants, or do you just go by personality and the persived potential? 

2a. You mentioned that running a bar in the UK for 20 years does not mean that you will be successful in Patts. 

3. I've read here on PA (not from either of you two) that bar managers often have to be quite verbally rough with the girls to be able to "herd the cats". What level of roughness is actually needed? Do the girls listen to reason, or do you often have to take a more authoritarian approach to keep things in order? 

3a. I work with Chinese, Thai, Malays and other Asian nationalities on a daily basis and I have have learnt that to deal with Asians is VASTLY different to dealing with Europeans and Americans. 

4. How important is it to know Thai while being a manager? Do you get by on English?

5. Do you prefer people who have TGF's or guy who is more of the butterfly persuasion? 

6. What are some of the big mistakes you have made over the years? Anything you would have done differently starting off, for example. 

7. Do you have a big preference in certain nationalities when hiring? An observation from my side is that most manager (in Patts in general) are either British, American or Aussie.

This has been quite a serious set of questions, but you really sparked my interest in this and I, for one, would fucking luuuuuuv doing what you do as I already work 10 hours on a slow day back in Europe and I worked as a bartender in a very social bar in my younger days and really enjoyed it as I love a bit of banter while having a good time. 

P. S. I'll be in Patts for the coming 3 weeks so will definitely drop by a few of your bars! 

LaaMok

On 22/04/2019 at 23:58, Maghdaman said:

Thanks Xylanic and Laamok for a riviting read, tons of great insights! 

I have a few questions about this topic and I would be one happy camper if you have a minute to answer them. 

1. How often does it happen that guys comes and works for you and burn out, say, within the first 6 month? Is it a common occurrence? 

We don't get guys burning out like that, but I tend to find guys get bored and unhappy after 2-3 years of it. I think everyone has 2 or 3 years worth of partying in them, once that is out the system it can get boring or tiresome.

2. Is there any prior (western-) experience that you are interested in in your applicants, or do you just go by personality and the persived potential? 

Its all about personality really, I would love some previous management experience or someone great at psychology and dealing with interpersonal issues between staff. We have lots of different types of customers that come in, so guys need to be patient and understanding with drunk people, understanding with love sick customers, talk football next minute, next minute giving advice,  it takes someone that loves being around people, if you are an introvert like me trying to do this job,  we will find out sooner than later.  We need people that are happy drunks.

2a. You mentioned that running a bar in the UK for 20 years does not mean that you will be successful in Patts. 

I have never ran a bar in the UK for 20 years so I cant compare exactly but I have spoken with people from the UK that have pubs.  We are selling ladies, an experience whereas pubs operate a little different, but keeping customers happy should be the same, but there is cultural differences.  If someone has ran a business for 20 years and wasnt lucky because of location or inheriting old staff, then they have a good chance of doing better than most, as i tell many people here, you dont have to be good to get by in this town, you just need to be better than the rest.

3. I've read here on PA (not from either of you two) that bar managers often have to be quite verbally rough with the girls to be able to "herd the cats". What level of roughness is actually needed? Do the girls listen to reason, or do you often have to take a more authoritarian approach to keep things in order? 

I cant answer this on here, its too complex to answer, it depends on the personality of the manager or whether its coming from cashier,  my stock answer to new managers is to tell the cashiers what they want communicating and she will put her thai filter on it, sometimes thats good or bad, but more experienced guys learn how to talk to them,  respectful and non agreesive would be my style.  But ive seen rough Thais slapping girls and it worked for them.

3a. I work with Chinese, Thai, Malays and other Asian nationalities on a daily basis and I have have learnt that to deal with Asians is VASTLY different to dealing with Europeans and Americans. 

4. How important is it to know Thai while being a manager? Do you get by on English?

They can use cashiers to translate, I wish they all knew Thai, but not many guys learn it.

5. Do you prefer people who have TGF's or guy who is more of the butterfly persuasion? 

My personal preference is that we have guys that monger,  we should do what we preach. But I find that guys with GFs often get alot of problems from their work,  we don't allow our gfs or wives in the bars for this reason, except quick visits or if friends are around. I also don't want guys that are only interested in ladyboys,  I dont mind if they fuck both, but we've had a few guys that only like ladyboys and thats all they want to talk about, our customers want to talk about girls.

6. What are some of the big mistakes you have made over the years? Anything you would have done differently starting off, for example. 

I don't have time to answer that here,  there are many mistakes, but there are good mistakes,   buying bars could have been a mistake, i could have been running a large online business by now with millions in the bank haha.  I have little regrets, every mistake was a stepping stone.  One regret is not reading several books first

7. Do you have a big preference in certain nationalities when hiring? An observation from my side is that most manager (in Patts in general) are either British, American or Aussie.

We don't have any preference, but it just naturally falls into place, we have alot of french right now which is not good,  i said the same when we had too many english, they are all great guys but better for business to have a good mixture.  we need more Scandinavians right now.

This has been quite a serious set of questions, but you really sparked my interest in this and I, for one, would fucking luuuuuuv doing what you do as I already work 10 hours on a slow day back in Europe and I worked as a bartender in a very social bar in my younger days and really enjoyed it as I love a bit of banter while having a good time. 

P. S. I'll be in Patts for the coming 3 weeks so will definitely drop by a few of your bars! 

LaaMok
On 18/04/2019 at 19:27, Brianrich1 said:

Thanks for your reply. It was a pleasure visiting your bars. I have learned a lot from this forum. It's hard to slow down from Holiday mode when I'm in Pattaya. But when I do I see that it's good Business being done all around me.

Thank you for the good feedback

Lhasa
On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 19:27, LaaMok said:

You'd think alot of young folks on these forums would love to jump on an opportunity like this. Are there simply no applicants? or are the ones who applied not suited for the job?

ricktoronto

Maybe they visited the bars on Chaiyapoon and could not imagine the drudgery of working in Orange bar.

Maybe Toy Box or something on a fun Soi like Soi 6.

I did not see a mention of them getting you a work permit and all that, though 6 pages going back 2 years, I did not read all of it. Was pay and performance pay mentioned? 

Bawdy

^ I believe Nightwish Group organises the work visas.

joeyb
On 08/05/2019 at 10:47, LaaMok said:

we need more Scandinavians right now.

What, you need more shy introverts? :D

On the other hands, Scandinavians tend to get really talkative and social when drinking.

SEXBOMB STEVE

Just a quick question.  How much is tge pay? Is the pay different for different bars? Or all the same?

awylde

Would they consider an Asian manager? :D Been wanting to get my feet wet in Pattaya and not by seawater. My usual hangout is Soi LK though..... Walking by Soi 6 with the mob of girls I normally don't know where to begin but you know what they say about having good problems....

Jxt1774

@LaaMok &@Xylanic this was a fascinating behind the scenes read and primer on the day to day of managing a bar. Heading over for the first time next week and will definitely stop in to say hi as a thanks for all the hard work and time you invest in putting on the experience! Not applying for anything ... Yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Bawdy
18 hours ago, awylde said:

Would they consider an Asian manager? :D Been wanting to get my feet wet in Pattaya and not by seawater. My usual hangout is Soi LK though..... Walking by Soi 6 with the mob of girls I normally don't know where to begin but you know what they say about having good problems....

Already have 2 Asian managers, Dax at Envy (who I have met, great guy), and Kevin @ Nature bar

Ludhamlad
On 07/07/2019 at 20:02, joeyb said:

What, you need more shy introverts? :D

On the other hands, Scandinavians tend to get really talkative and social when drinking.

I wonder what happened to the shy introverted Mr Johnny Wilde :Dunno1:

Uncle Pervie
On 18/04/2019 at 07:36, LaaMok said:

I'm thinking retiring in august time frame with investing be there in december for vacation like to talk

Edited by Uncle Pervie