IGNORED

Are wild dogs a problem in Jomtien?

Richard Haggis

I’ve read more than once that looking an angry dog in its eyes is akin to challenging it to a fight …. which is obviously not a good plan.

As for sticks and CS spray, I may be an odd fellow but when I go on a bar or gogo crawl I’m not usually in possession of such things.

My biggest concern if I lived in Jomtien would be all the gays/queers/tranny's that lurk around the area rather than the soi dogs. 

Something like the below might be an option if it's legal in LOS. It has been noted elsewhere in this forum that dogs respect a stick. 

Police Force 31" Expandable Steel Baton

https://www.eabman.com/products/police-force-31-expandable-steel-baton?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googleshopping&variant=1612801998859

bending down and pretending to pick up a stone will almost always work. the only time it failed for me was with 3 dogs near wongamat. the 2 at the back fell for the ruse and legged it but the other bastard was so close i think he knew it was a con. luckily i was drinking from a small glass bottle of coke at the time and threw it as hard as i could at point blank range. it was too close to miss and i knew if i did miss i was breakfast and lunch. i hit and it did the trick.. i have a pic somewhere of the beast if i can find it. he had crazy eyes.

got em.................... jan 2014

5a23aa25303d4_janfeb4241_653x600.jpg.37c156aa813d5ca4c74ad992f9ed58c7.jpg

oh no, crazy eyes has that look....................

5a23aa5449b5d_janfeb4242_582x600.jpg.934de1a0ab6a6afb5691a8e3e611c407.jpg

bugger, i'm toast

5a23aa90d6dab_janfeb5252_800x600.jpg.76d2b29aa74cd92525c116cdb6fe455b.jpg

like in the movie josey wales .............you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?.............it's the crazy one to take out first

5a23aaf3d1d41_janfeb5250_800x600.jpg.9f3c036d41df33fe3efda54c393697f3.jpg

CIWS...................close in weapon system, battle tested

21 hours ago, JAI DEE MAK said:

I was with you until the not hitting with a stick ? if you walk down the road and a dog approaches you if you raise  a stick it will normally back off.

If a dog attacks you its eyes are the most sensitive part  NOT the nose WTF why you say this  if you are a dog trainer ? if you are attacked then you push your fingers into its eyes if it has a collar then put your hand in it and twist and lay on the dog pushing  the fingers of your other hand with your fingers into its eyes.

CS spray is an option ?.

Fight to live not fight to win.

JDM

Good way to have your fingers chewed off. I would suggest the eyes in normal human self defence, but dogs have poor eyesight especially at night and only see you in black, white and shades of grey. Even without sight they could probably still tear your throat out as you were laying on top.:o

20 hours ago, Gone-east said:

I’ve read more than once that looking an angry dog in its eyes is akin to challenging it to a fight …. which is obviously not a good plan.

As for sticks and CS spray, I may be an odd fellow but when I go on a bar or gogo crawl I’m not usually in possession of such things.

Yes, my dogs never look directly at each other as they know it will lead to a major confrontation.

21 hours ago, DaveLock said:

Just curious, wouldn't staring them down moreso show you're the alpha of the pack? I can't image in canine pack mentality the alpha doesn't look any of the others in the eye.

Humans do not want to show they are the alpha of the pack, not acceptable, only the alpha male human. Dogs do not show they are the alpha male by staring, it is accepted by subservience in the other dogs.

Humans do not want to show they are the alpha of the pack, not acceptable, only the alpha male human. Dogs do not show they are the alpha male by staring, it is accepted by subservience in the other dogs.
Some have really big balls, is that how they tell who is alpha?

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Insomniac said:

Some have really big balls, is that how they tell who is alpha?

It could help, but makes it easier to chew on.:)

1 hour ago, Insomniac said:

Interesting. Cheers for explaining, I learnt something.

On 29/11/2017 at 21:53, Richard Haggis said:

I’m thinking of moving into an apartment in one of the newish blocks behind the main Jomtien 2nd road, e.g. the various Laguna Beach condos or similar. Are those dark access lanes safe from dogs after dark? Don’t fancy getting eaten..

I wouldn’t stay there unless you plan on having your own transport or are happy using mototaxis or Grab/Uber all the time.

A lot of the Sois off second road are VERY quiet and isolated. Even the higher numbered Sois between Beach and second road are pretty desolate a lot of the time. Very little lighting, lots of undeveloped sections etc.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

2 hours ago, Insomniac said:

Good way to have your fingers chewed off. I would suggest the eyes in normal human self defence, but dogs have poor eyesight especially at night and only see you in black, white and shades of grey. Even without sight they could probably still tear your throat out as you were laying on top.:o

So your recommendation is when it has your arm in its mouth you tap it on the nose !!!! NO you blind it by poking you fingers into its eyes its you last chance the pain would be excruciating  and the dog would be blinded.

If you allow the dog to stand firm on 4 legs shake  its neck and dominate  you you are at a disadvantage  remove its ability to move.

Anyway lets argree to dissagree it maybe the two escape and evashion  military courses I undertook were wrong regarding the defence to a dog attack.

I am fortunate that I never needed to put them into practice I did however shoot a few dogs.

I have 5 as I live in the woods and yes some may try to deal with a dog or two however 5 is a big deal I have trained them not to eat unless  I tell them for obvious  reasons and they do so.

I have no intention of getting into a bun fight with you however when you are attacked  and are being bitten by a dog if unarmed you need to do whats needed to remove the threat and  fingers in the eyes of the dog is the easiest way for the untrained  victim.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

On 03/12/2017 at 19:49, JAI DEE MAK said:

So your recommendation is when it has your arm in its mouth you tap it on the nose !!!! NO you blind it by poking you fingers into its eyes its you last chance the pain would be excruciating  and the dog would be blinded.

If you allow the dog to stand firm on 4 legs shake  its neck and dominate  you you are at a disadvantage  remove its ability to move.

Anyway lets argree to dissagree it maybe the two escape and evashion  military courses I undertook were wrong regarding the defence to a dog attack.

I am fortunate that I never needed to put them into practice I did however shoot a few dogs.

I have 5 as I live in the woods and yes some may try to deal with a dog or two however 5 is a big deal I have trained them not to eat unless  I tell them for obvious  reasons and they do so.

I have no intention of getting into a bun fight with you however when you are attacked  and are being bitten by a dog if unarmed you need to do whats needed to remove the threat and  fingers in the eyes of the dog is the easiest way for the untrained  victim.

JDM

No bun fight, simply a difference of opinion! You do not tap it on the nose but give a full blooded right hook to the nose, have knocked out 2 dogs who attacked me whilst training for a marathon this way. Helps if you are a former pro boxer like me I suppose. However do not suggest any violence against animals unless essential, as my daughter who is a qualified dog whisperer would insist. Probably the difference is military and civilian training courses, as would expect the military one to be somewhat more extreme.

Point taken and thanks for a balanced response .

Yes Military causes are set to respond to attack trained and tracking dogs ( not Soi dogs ) and  as I stated a last chance defence ( no weapons available ).

My comments were directed at a situation were the dog has a bite on you and is locked on and shaking its head.

Also not discussed yet so I will if the dog has its tail raised  up then that is a clear signal that it is in attack/defence  mode and you are in real danger of being attacked.

There are many items you can carry on your person without fear of getting locked up by the police a large tub of cooking pepper the hottest chilly one you can find is perfect.

Throw/ puff  that at the dogs general direction and it will back off.

I also do not condone unnecessary violence or ill treatment to animals 

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

On 02/12/2017 at 11:26, Insomniac said:

Your original idea was far better than the stone trick. I have trained dogs for last 55 years and you must show them you are the Alpha Male human. Do not try confrontation, this is where the don't look in the eyes comes into it, and try not to show fear even if you are terrified.  If the dog is extremely aggressive and attacks,the nose is the most sesitive part, not hitting with a stick!

Too many people react with fear. Usually one dog is alarmed, so the rest come to it's aid and before you know it you have a pack of barking dogs.

So you need to set their minds at ease. They are not interested in doing you harm. They are only ready to protect themselves.

So I crouch down and call them over. Often it will just be a fearless puppy that runs over. I don't try to touch them straight away. Just allow them to feel comfortable. Usually I'm smiling and speaking pleasantly. Once they see that you mean no harm, the barking will stop and some more may come to greet you or just wander off.

Of course it you treat them like an  enemy, you become a threat. 

They are sentient beings. Living outdoors doesn't mean aggressive There will always be the odd idiot. But having the pack on your side negates the odd idiot.

A 10 baht chicken kebab can be a good way to introduce yourself.

At my mates place here in OZ he's got a dog that's  quite aggressive  there were a few guests around and we were told "don't  touch the dog" well one dude started to get the dogs attention and we told him to"leave it alone", his reply. "I'm a dog whisperer"  fucking lol lol.

Anyway he anded up in hospital with a severed artery. passed out with us trying to pull him out of the dogs grasp. 55555555

1 hour ago, Harry Brown said:

At my mates place here in OZ he's got a dog that's  quite aggressive  there were a few guests around and we were told "don't  touch the dog" well one dude started to get the dogs attention and we told him to"leave it alone", his reply. "I'm a dog whisperer"  fucking lol lol.

Anyway he anded up in hospital with a severed artery. passed out with us trying to pull him out of the dogs grasp. 55555555

That goes to show that it is often dogs that are 'owned' by people who are the most aggressive. I have never seen an aggressive 'soi dog', as they know which side of their bread is buttered.

Same with cats. The most aggressive and likely to scratch are indoor cats.

9 hours ago, GreyMan said:

That goes to show that it is often dogs that are 'owned' by people who are the most aggressive. I have never seen an aggressive 'soi dog', as they know which side of their bread is buttered.

Same with cats. The most aggressive and likely to scratch are indoor cats.

Yes dogs are not naturally intent on causing humans harm, only other dogs. But many people think it is smart to train dogs to attack. I have 20 cats and have never been bitten or scratched other than by accident i.e. when being protective over their food! Cats however are difficult to train unlike dogs, although wolves are more difficult.

11 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

Yes only the owner or someone very experienced should mess with a dog that does not have a good nature. My Aussie mate thinks it'scary when I put my hand in my half wolf, half black Labrador's mouth. But generally the saying " you don't bite the hand that feeds you " is correct.:)

To clarify, you don't look a dog, elephant, gorilla, cat or most other animals in the eye as that is interpreted as you challenging them. This also means don't face them full frontal but keep your side facing them. I watched two soi dogs approach each other when one from another pack was intruding on the other's territory. They stood opposite each other, head beside head with bared their teeth so the other could see. Neither wanted to fight, they didn't even make a growl. 

Interesting observation. Soi dogs' canine teeth are narrower, pointier and curved more than Western domestic dogs'. The soi dog's teeth appear better suited to penetrating prey and holding onto it where this has been bred out of Western dogs, whose canines are thicker and straight.  

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

• 1 month later...

Never have had any problems with soi dogs, even in Hua Hin where there are loads of more dogs. My first night in Hua Hin I didn't have a motobike yet, so had to go to bar by walking. Some of the dogs came to me barking. I just stopped and ask them wit a calm voice "what the fuck are you doing?" They went away. I always knew dogs can sense if you're afraid of them and then want you away from their hoods.

I have lived in Pratamnak now almost 8 months. Almost all the condo buildings, 7-11 etc have their own dog(s). If you stay long time, some kind of food donation would be nice if you want to stay friends. On soi4 we had the adorable black female dog, who live near the swimming pool. No harm ever. She just sleep there and get some snacks from the people. Someone always put some kind of water supply for her. Very nice dog. Now hanging out in 7-11 because she is pregnant. My TGF plans to get one of her puppies to the countryside to live with her parents. Oh well...

Now in soi3 this condo building where we live in is almost new. No resident dogs. 

Soi dogs are part of the life here in Thailand. Just get on with them and they will get it and not give a fuck about you.

Archived