Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Smell from Drainage

TigerWoods

Hello members,

what can be done against a occasionally bad smell coming from the drainage in a bathroom/toilet in a condo ?

What is the cause for that  ? Some condos have it some they don't. 

Easy solution. Just dealt with it and a friend helped me out.
The smell comes when the drain is dry
Fast solution is pour some water into the drain and a bit of chlorine every few weeks or so

Or just cover it up with a glass or something

Going to maintenance will jut add a cost for the only solution that's available

Edit
Failing the above recommendations it's possible the toilet has cracks at the base where it's sealed allowing gasses to escape

The cause is improper plumbing. Traps are installed, and vents to seal the gases and stop the smell. If there is no trap or if the system is not installed properly the sewer gases will come into the bathroom etc.

pour water or cover it up. Nothing can be done after the Thais fuck things up regarding installation.

9 minutes ago, weblo said:

The cause is improper plumbing. Traps are installed, and vents to seal the gases and stop the smell. If there is no trap or if the system is not installed properly the sewer gases will come into the bathroom etc.

pour water or cover it up. Nothing can be done after the Thais fuck things up regarding installation.

Yes probably no traps installed only way you can sort it is to dig down and instal them.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

I have seen some instance of  some water traps that have become clogged  over time with toothpaste etc. In the hotel I stayed at recently the water would not run away quick enough and would backfill the sink slowly, I asked hotel maintenance if someone could have a look at it. They sent a service / repair guy in and he un-did the P trap or water trap underneath the sink. I'm not sure what was in there but it nearly made him spew. Anyway problem solved.

Using chemicals to hide the odours only masks the problem, never fixes it.

Pour in a litre or so of boiling water.Pour in half cup baking soda let it sit a couple minutes.Pour in 1cup vinegar 1cup boiling water then cover the drain with the plug or a towel let it soak 15 minutes then pour in another litre of boiling water.       drain should now be clear and odourless 

Soda Fai is it the Thai version for blocked drains. Can be find in every handyman shops.

DO NOT TOUCH THAT AND PROTECT YOU FACE WHEN POURING BOILING WATER ON IT!

Let it work about 15 min then rinse.

Had similar issue and as mentioned probably the traps are blocked or even missing.Could be also related if they use one when the sceptic tank is getting full you.

On 11/13/2017 at 03:58, TigerWoods said:

what can be done against a occasionally bad smell coming from the drainage in a bathroom/toilet in a condo ?

How elegant is this condo? If there is a trap in place with the plumbing system vented through the roof, there should be no sewage smells. A trap blocked by debris accumulation will result in slow and eventually no drainage, but should still not allow fumes from the downstream plumbing into the condo. 

For an interesting "history" on how this method came about see the below. Whether the book is a spoof or not, it's still a fun read. :D

https://www.amazon.com/Flushed-Pride-Story-Thomas-Crapper/dp/1851459782

Physically removing and cleaning a clogged sink trap is a quick and dirty solution (yuk).

As to how chemical drain cleaners work, see the below. A strong base (Soda-Flakes (Fai-Soda or Soda-Fai ) presumably a strong base), or Drano in the US may work although with the risk of possible damage to plumbing. Baking soda is a weak base. That plus a weak acid (vinegar) plus hot water would produce some of the effects described below with potentially less damage to plumbing. 

"How does Drano get rid of sink clogs?

Drano is made of lye (sodium hydroxide), mixed with little bits of aluminum metal.

When lye crystals mix with water, they react strongly, and produce a lot of heat. The hot water softens lumps of grease in the drain. The sodium hydroxide reacts with the softened grease, turning it into soap. The bits of aluminum metal also react with the sodium hydroxide, releasing more heat, but also releasing a lot of hydrogen gas, which makes bubbles that further loosen the fat and grease in the clog.

The hot water dissolves the soap. The bubbles of hydrogen break up the lumps of grease and make them float up away from the clog, so more hot water and lye can react with the grease and fat.

If there is hair in the clog, the lye also dissolves that, and the hydrogen bubbles loosen the strands from one another, so that the clog catches more water and is carried down the drain.

So there are many chemical reactions going on at once. Heating the water, making soap, making bubbles, and dissolving proteins. Add to this the force of new water pushing on what remains of the clog, and lye-based drain cleaners do a pretty good job.

Lye can cause burns to skin and eyes, so caution should be used with any product that contains sodium hydroxide."

http://questions.sci-toys.com/node/69

I bought a new condo a couple of years back and there was a smell problem in many of the bathrooms .This was discovered as people moved in so I don't know if it was every bathroom but I heard many people as well as me complaining . 

i put drano down the drains , hot water etc, to no avail . In short order the building management saw they had a big problem and investigated . I still don't know what the exact problem was but my toilet had to be removed and resinstalled . I assume some critical error on the intial installation . Whatever they did the problem disappeared .

Since then I have had a kitchen cabinet drop approximately 1 cm . It was discovered the installer had failed to make a proper connection between the wall bracket and the bracket on the cabinet that would bear the weight . 600 baht repair so no big deal .

I would have building management assess the smell problem before consulting a plumber .

I just ordered 10 of these (price was right) to replace all the drains in the house I am moving into. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Deodorization-smell-proof-drain-core-self-contained-deodorization-smell-proof-core-plastic-core/32660304404.html

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

These cleaning pads work as a cheap solution to blocking smells from the shower drain. Move it off the drain while showering, then kick it back over the drain when done. Enough water is trapped in the pad that it serves as an effective block for smells. Plus the pad is always handy for a quick scrub of the shower floor.

Image result for cleaning pad with handle

On 11/26/2017 at 09:57, forcebwithu said:

These cleaning pads work as a cheap solution to blocking smells from the shower drain. Move it off the drain while showering, then kick it back over the drain when done. Enough water is trapped in the pad that it serves as an effective block for smells. Plus the pad is always handy for a quick scrub of the shower floor.

Image result for cleaning pad with handle

This statement is so wrong on many so levels that I will not respond only to say it will not work.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

5 hours ago, JAI DEE MAK said:

This statement is so wrong on many so levels that I will not respond only to say it will not work.

JDM

Interesting that you say it will not work, but yet you will not support your position as to why it will not work. I speak from first hand experience that it does work, can you say the same?

I don't know if the scrubber thing will work or not,but on the right track.Put some water in a plastic bag and cover drain when not in use seals out the smell.I had access to the septic tank so put a 90 degree elbow on the pipe,you have to get it in the right position so water flows but keeps the elbow full of water.Not perfect but worked for me.

• 5 weeks later...
Hello members,

Mate did you get this sorted? I have the solution i I'm 90% sure as I had the same problem. Just let me know and I will post the answer if you need it.

On 26/11/2017 at 09:57, forcebwithu said:

That will work to a great extent, assuming that the smell is coming up from the drain rather than from the base of the toilet.

But personally I prefer these very cheap rubber drain covers which work even when dry:

s-l300.jpg

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That will work to a great extent, assuming that the smell is coming up from the drain rather than from The Base of the toilet.

But personally I prefer these very cheap rubber drain covers which work even when dry:

s-l300.jpg

A more effective solution than the scrub brush thingy for sure. But I'm a lazy cunt who hates to shop, so used what was available.

A more effective solution than the scrub brush thingy for sure. But I'm a lazy cunt who hates to shop, so used what was available.
I don't think that is where the odour is coming from. It wasn't in my case and I found the answer on another forum.

On November 13, 2017 at 03:58, TigerWoods said:

Hello members,

What's up with BMs who cannot take a moment to acknowledge or thank those who take time to help?

Archived