Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Volare on Soi Bukhao (Soi 15)

Evil Penevil

Just anecdotal, but I walked by Wednesday night around 7pm and it looked very busy. In fact, pretty much all the outdoor seating area was full with others still outside looking at the menu. 

P4P. C4C. Soft Club. Skank Club. Club Bareback. Because if it's worth fucking it's worth fucking properly.

Back in employment. Korando's Bar, Soi Buakhao 15. 

Webp.net-resizeimage hh.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage bs.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage rm.jpg

Bagel and His Adventures in Thailand

My Day Working At Quicky Bar. A Romantic Encounter In A Sattahip Warehouse. Mr Pringles & His Adventures In Thailand.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, seal said:

guess who paying for the refit.

portions look like appetizer size.

thanks for the review.

Velly Europeen. 

Finally checked it out last night. Nice place. 

I had this (can't remember the official name and forgot to take a pic of the menu item...)

pasta.jpg.d6c80640793d1c585e4412a378deee14.jpg

Was pretty good. Definitely not the greatest pasta, but really good for Pattaya. The ambiance of the restaurant is pretty nice as well. Agreed with the other people who said it's a little overpriced. Also agree with Evil Penevil about the blandness of the bread they serve.

Will go back at some point for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.

On 11/17/2017 at 06:05, Kreggerz said:

Great location and great curb appeal. Not really surprising. 

It,s on one of the busiest T junctions on soi Buk....plenty of car/bike fumes to add to the "ambience" I guess....:Crazy1:

• 4 weeks later...

Since we were talking about paccheri here, I thought I'd mention this.

Pizzaart Jomtien does three paccheri dishes.

Seafood, Neaopolitan beef ragu, and I forget the third.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapolitan_ragù

I had the beef ragu which is a specialty there as they specialize in Neaopolitan food.

I tried their lasagna before and didn't really like it so I wasn't sure any of their pastas would be good.

Well, this was fantastic. 

I've never had that style of ragu so I can't compare it but I thought it was wonderful. The meat is chunkier / shredded instead of ground.

The pasta was al dente to the point that some people might think too al dente, but I didn't.

Topped with fresh cheese.

Portion probably a bit bigger than Volare.

300 baht, soda water is 40, no plus plus.

I mentioned on another thread that I think their eggplant parm is world class but be sure to order a side of pizza bread to go with it. 

taken nov 3rd just before the reopening

5a3292a2d292f_nov3002(Custom).JPG.6489093b35355cd8b7f3e931a5702b57.JPG

sticking service 10 % and vat 7% on top of the bill is unlikely to encourage repeat business on soi buakaow

9 hours ago, striderman said:

sticking service 10 % and vat 7% on top of the bill is unlikely to encourage repeat business on soi buakaow

Been like that since day one.

6 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

I've never been and probably will never go. I've looked at their menu before and it didn't impress me compared to nearby La Taverna del Passatore (which also has reasonable drink prices and no plus plus).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d4071799-Reviews-La_Taverna_del_Passatore-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

8 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

I was discussing this with a friend the other day, he swears it has been, I have never noticed the charge to be honest.

I enjoy their food, go there at least once or twice each trip, I'll be taking notice if they are taking the piss with prices next trip.

Went to Soi BUakhao market today so, having read Evil's review in the morning, TGF and I decided to give Volare a try for lunch as we both enjoy Italian food.

We ordered a couple of watermelon smoothies, TGF ordered pasta with salmon and on Evil's advice' I ordered the Paccheri al pomodoro.

As we waited for the food the waiter brought us some bread, a small bowl of parmesan and the pepper mill.

1513325706389.thumb.jpg.972316bec4436a6090d58af66b9a4b23.jpg

Asked the waiter for some butter for the bread and he explained that they don't have butter and that we were supposed to sprinkle the parmesan and black pepper on the bread! After I explained to him that we'd rather have butter, he went away and returned with a small pat of butter which they don't have. They claim that they make their own bread and it looked and felt inviting but when eating a slice, I realised why the waiter had brought us unsalted butter. The bread was incredibly salty, so much so, it was inedible.

Eventually our food arrived. I tucked into my paccheri al pomodoro and was extremely disappointed.

1513325690326.thumb.jpg.aedf87815b86b1f88e15c3af552df5ac.jpg

The pasta was way undercooked, I could feel a case of indigestion coming on as I chewed through it.

The tomato sauce was very bitter and obviously made with barely ripe local tomatoes and had been over reduced. Only saving grace was the ricotta which took the edge off the acidity of the sauce. Should have sent it back but have learned that this isn't usually a wise move in Thailand.

TGF was enjoying her meal and as the portion sizes were more generous than expected, couldn't finish it all, so I helped her.

1513325698117.thumb.jpg.053376ce79d002ec77a8a62ce94b29c9.jpg

Pasta was cooked to perfection, slightly al dente, retaining a modicum of bite. Nice creamy sauce. Only downside was that the salmon clearly wasn't fresh and had an "off" taste to it. I would assume that the chef (Thai guy) cooked all pasta for the same length of time, which is why the penne was perfectly cooked and the paccheri was way under. Also, the claim that the pasta is freshly made is clearly untrue as the penne was clearly bought in dried pasta.

Tried to ask for the bill but the waiter, who was servicing the outside area, was transfixed on what was going on on Soi Buakhau and it was impossible to attract his attention. Finally attracted the attention of the girl servicing the inside area. Bill came to 1054 baht for 2 plates of food and 2 soft drinks. Very overpriced for very mediocre food.

TGF enjoyed her meal and would return, as long as she isn't paying the bill. I didn't enjoy any part of my meal and won't be returning. Overall a typical Central Pattaya, tourist trap, Western style restraunt, poor food, poor service. Next time I want an inexpensive but good pasta for lunch, I'll be returning to Dao Café where the young Belgian chef makes good pasta and even better Belgian specialities.

BTW. Wrote this after returning from the toilet after a major evacuation! First time ever that I've had the runs at this time of day. I'm sure that you'll all say "coincidence", I'm not so sure.......

BBTW. Just sitting down to supper, proper food. Wok 'n Rok Char Sui curry from Siam Expat Store, Soi Siam Country Club, 150 baht. Served with fresh baked bread from Fabrice, 50 baht/loaf. Yummy!

20171216_001339.thumb.jpg.4175fb7eb1e7bb5a3f3fcee58f3e1697.jpg

6 hours ago, Darksider11 said:

Bill came to 1054 baht for 2 plates of food and 2 soft drinks.

:o

17 hours ago, Gnorman said:

I was discussing this with a friend the other day, he swears it has been, I have never noticed the charge to be honest.

I could dig out some photos from my one and only visit to prove it.

They had a board outside that said "Spaghetti with Special Seafood 180 baht"

It was a bit ho hum and there was nothing special about the seafood until the bill came, which was 280 baht + +

When I queried it, I was told it was 180 baht for the spaghetti and because I chose the Special Seafood it was a further 100 baht.

I just decided it was a rip off joint, and vowed never to return.

But I have to say it has survived and seems busy when I pass, so ?

On 12/16/2017 at 01:43, Darksider11 said:

Went to Soi BUakhao market today so, having read Evil's review in the morning, TGF and I decided to give Volare a try for lunch as we both enjoy Italian food.

We ordered a couple of watermelon smoothies, TGF ordered pasta with salmon and on Evil's advice' I ordered the Paccheri al pomodoro.

As we waited for the food the waiter brought us some bread, a small bowl of parmesan and the pepper mill.

1513325706389.thumb.jpg.972316bec4436a6090d58af66b9a4b23.jpg

Asked the waiter for some butter for the bread and he explained that they don't have butter and that we were supposed to sprinkle the parmesan and black pepper on the bread! After I explained to him that we'd rather have butter, he went away and returned with a small pat of butter which they don't have. They claim that they make their own bread and it looked and felt inviting but when eating a slice, I realised why the waiter had brought us unsalted butter. The bread was incredibly salty, so much so, it was inedible.

Eventually our food arrived. I tucked into my paccheri al pomodoro and was extremely disappointed.

1513325690326.thumb.jpg.aedf87815b86b1f88e15c3af552df5ac.jpg

The pasta was way undercooked, I could feel a case of indigestion coming on as I chewed through it.

The tomato sauce was very bitter and obviously made with barely ripe local tomatoes and had been over reduced. Only saving grace was the ricotta which took the edge off the acidity of the sauce. Should have sent it back but have learned that this isn't usually a wise move in Thailand.

TGF was enjoying her meal and as the portion sizes were more generous than expected, couldn't finish it all, so I helped her.

1513325698117.thumb.jpg.053376ce79d002ec77a8a62ce94b29c9.jpg

Pasta was cooked to perfection, slightly al dente, retaining a modicum of bite. Nice creamy sauce. Only downside was that the salmon clearly wasn't fresh and had an "off" taste to it. I would assume that the chef (Thai guy) cooked all pasta for the same length of time, which is why the penne was perfectly cooked and the paccheri was way under. Also, the claim that the pasta is freshly made is clearly untrue as the penne was clearly bought in dried pasta.

Tried to ask for the bill but the waiter, who was servicing the outside area, was transfixed on what was going on on Soi Buakhau and it was impossible to attract his attention. Finally attracted the attention of the girl servicing the inside area. Bill came to 1054 baht for 2 plates of food and 2 soft drinks. Very overpriced for very mediocre food.

TGF enjoyed her meal and would return, as long as she isn't paying the bill. I didn't enjoy any part of my meal and won't be returning. Overall a typical Central Pattaya, tourist trap, Western style restraunt, poor food, poor service. Next time I want an inexpensive but good pasta for lunch, I'll be returning to Dao Café where the young Belgian chef makes good pasta and even better Belgian specialities.

BTW. Wrote this after returning from the toilet after a major evacuation! First time ever that I've had the runs at this time of day. I'm sure that you'll all say "coincidence", I'm not so sure.......

BBTW. Just sitting down to supper, proper food. Wok 'n Rok Char Sui curry from Siam Expat Store, Soi Siam Country Club, 150 baht. Served with fresh baked bread from Fabrice, 50 baht/loaf. Yummy!

20171216_001339.thumb.jpg.4175fb7eb1e7bb5a3f3fcee58f3e1697.jpg

The food must be ordinary if a re heated frozen Chinese dish with bread and butter out performs it in terms of flavour etc.......???? really, wow

I gave up eating there about 18 months ago, I did like the menu offerings, but it is simply not that great in terms of dishes produced.

Before the remodel they always gave one butter with the bread.

I don't remember the 10%/7% charges before the remodel. I typically have a pasta dish, beer and glass of wine at the Italian restaurants in the area and it usually comes out to around 430-460B at all of them. As I recall Volare prices were similar.

La Taverna del Passatore gives one a complimentary shot of Lemoncello or Sambuca when it's time to pay the bill. Which is always a nice touch.

1 hour ago, tropicaloz said:

The food must be ordinary if a re heated frozen Chinese dish with bread and butter out performs it in terms of flavour etc.......???? really, wow

Not ordinary, Wok 'n Rok!

But yes, it outperformed my dish at Volare in every way - flavour, preparation and value for money.

Interestingly, went for lunch at an Italian restraunt in Ambassador City, Na Jontien yesterday.

TGF had an almost identical meal to the one she had at Volare. Pasta was slightly overcooked but fine for her. I had the lasagne bolognaise and it was dire. Pasta so overcooked that it was unidentifiable mush, clearly microwaved from frozen, and the Bolognese sauce similar to Volare, over reduced and very bitter. Staff unpleasant too, couldn't have a laugh with them, I merely asked if I could smoke outside and the waitress nearly jumped out of her skin and really snapped at me (answer was "No" BTW). Also way overpriced.

Don't know how the Russians put up with it, no smoking and overpriced, not their cup of tea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/15/2017 at 14:27, Kreggerz said:

I've never been and probably will never go. I've looked at their menu before and it didn't impress me compared to nearby La Taverna del Passatore (which also has reasonable drink prices and no plus plus).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d4071799-Reviews-La_Taverna_del_Passatore-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

I just went there last night after reading about it from this site (to La Taverna del Passatore). And I’m glad I did. I got the special. Gnocci with deer meat. Damn, that was a nice meal. Nice sized portion, the meat was good and the gnocci was great. I’m pretty sure it was home made gnocci. Though if somebody knows otherwise, Please let me know where I can buy it. You will make me a very happy man  I can make the sauce myself if I have to.

I’m going back. For 300 baht, it was one of the best meals I’ve had in Thailand. And I both love going out to eat, and spend too damn much baht doing it. 

La Taverna pasta specials on the board (and gnocchi) are generally pasta fresca but I'm not sure if they make the pasta in house or buy it in. As opposed to dried pasta. Yeah, their deer meat ragu is one of the best things there. It's not on the regular menu. Only specials. Check their facebook page for when. 

• 2 weeks later...

take note you Volare pizza oinkers, seems they messed up the brick oven in septembers re-model................

5a993b08ae297_mar2005(Custom).JPG.96bcb3a5cf270b5ca3495592d3b263f1.JPG

Striders

No pics of the tree opposite Volare collapsing on it on wednesday afternoon.....maybe it was that that caused the damage to the pizza oven   :Oops1:

10 minutes ago, petermik said:

Striders

No pics of the tree opposite Volare collapsing on it on wednesday afternoon.....maybe it was that that caused the damage to the pizza oven   :Oops1:

i've seen the tree pics elsewhere and not near the oven.

gotta be this one from over the rd. oct 13 th last year.............

5a9940443788f_oct13020(Custom).JPG.1d381a53dff02766c87c417acc3487c0.JPG

another 1 from sept.............

5a9940e885104_sept6a001(Custom).JPG.1830e8b247b65bd349cab2c528ae4d7e.JPG

my data base of trees is limited !

7 hours ago, striderman said:

i've seen the tree pics elsewhere and not near the oven.

OK....tree gone now BTW.

The dining experience at Volare is very mixed, from disappointing through mediocre to "one of the best meals I've had in Thailand."  Inconsistency has always been a problem for Pattaya restaurants.  Much depends on who's in the kitchen at the time you happen to eat there. In some cases, one dish will be great, but the rest of the menu very average.  Luck of the draw, I guess.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Archived