IGNORED

Marquee Bar's 100-Baht Sunday Roast

Evil Penevil

6 hours ago, whitespider said:

@Evil Penevilwhat sort of price are we comparing to for a "normal' Sunday Roast dinner? Around our parts they are around 220 or a bit more with lamb.

I would say between 200 and 250 baht, but as Kitten Kong pointed out, prices range from 150 baht through 450 baht.  At places like Nicky's and Punch & Judy,  a Sunday roast costs between 300 and 400 baht, depending on what meat and how large a portion you choose. The all-you-can-eat buffets run from about 240 baht through 449 baht.

Evil

23a.jpg.6eefdb90c4ecb7d2683a60bc0a6f8b4f.jpg

nner will cost between 300 and 400 baht

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

• 10 months later...

IMG_0193.jpg.0c676568ce24911c6c44121220f9eecb.jpg

It had been months since I tried the 100-baht Sunday roast dinner at the Marquee, so I went back last week. Very little had changed; I could almost repeat the review I wrote in February (LINK  post #1103).  That's both positive and negative.

IMG_0185.jpg.8fd0b62aec0da87a6f5a1fa0a7023d54.jpg

It means the Marquee's popular Sunday roasts are holding a decent standard for the low, low price of 100 baht.  I had been worried that if the chicken dinner slipped further in quality it would cross the low into the mediocre category.  That didn't happen.  The slide appears to have been checked.

IMG_0188.jpg.1c53e156c58ede3ec802189429a14161.jpg

The chicken breast fillet, as before, seems to have been poached in water rather than roasted or pan fried. It was tender and tasty, no complaint on that account.  The vegetables and roast potatoes remained good and weren't overcooked.

The downside is that the meal hadn't improved on its weak point, the Yorkshire pudding. It was still too heavy and eggy for me.  The recipe the Marquee is using probably needs to be adjusted.

By way of comparison, below are two pics from the dinner I had in February.  Not much has changed, except the sliver of sweet corn was missing this time.

IMG_186.jpg.d1e8a35a90df238f6ce327ae0156423c.jpg

IMG_0186b.jpg.f64843bc8d73f70122fa862636e44bd5.jpg

The Marquee remains one of the busier bars in Pattaya.

IMG_0183.jpg.9eef933b9be54061a9f05e1f54271c42.jpg

I ate at about 3 p.m. and counted 50 guests at that time.  Another 20 arrived during the 45 minutes I was there,  while 10 or so left.

IMG_0184.jpg.1320dd7e777cc74456476ca6ba6a2297.jpg

The Marquee was about two-thirds full.  It wasn't hard to find a seat, but I had to sit at the counter as all the tables were taken. 

Bottom line:  The Sunday roast chicken dinner at the Marquee is far from the best in Pattaya, but it's still good value for money at the price.  I'm not a fan of the roast beef and pork dinners as they use packaged pre-cooked and sliced meat, but that's a matter of personal preference.  I'm sure there are others who eat them with gusto.

Evil

Never eaten there but it is one of my favourites bar. Great music, nice atmosphere and the ladies dont push for drinks....

Great thread, what other food do they offer?

Edited by Bawdy

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

24 minutes ago, Bawdy said:

Great thread, what other food do they offer?

I don't know, as I've only been there for the Sunday roast.  The waitress told me that the only food available on Sundays is the roast dinner.  I assume that's on Fridays the only food would be the fish & chips for 100 baht, which I'm told is even more popular than the Sunday roasts.

Maybe someone else can comment on the Marquee's food aside from Sunday roast dinners and fish & chips.

It's worth adding that the Marquee is usually sold out of both roast dinners and fish & chips by early evening, sometimes before that.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 2

On 04/01/2020 at 17:07, Evil Penevil said:

IMG_0193.jpg.0c676568ce24911c6c44121220f9eecb.jpg

It had been months since I tried the 100-baht Sunday roast dinner at the Marquee, so I went back last week. Very little had changed; I could almost repeat the review I wrote in February (LINK  post #1103).  That's both positive and negative.

IMG_0185.jpg.8fd0b62aec0da87a6f5a1fa0a7023d54.jpg

It means the Marquee's popular Sunday roasts are holding a decent standard for the low, low price of 100 baht.  I had been worried that if the chicken dinner slipped further in quality it would cross the low into the mediocre category.  That didn't happen.  The slide appears to have been checked.

IMG_0188.jpg.1c53e156c58ede3ec802189429a14161.jpg

The chicken breast fillet, as before, seems to have been poached in water rather than roasted or pan fried. It was tender and tasty, no complaint on that account.  The vegetables and roast potatoes remained good and weren't overcooked.

The downside is that the meal hadn't improved on its weak point, the Yorkshire pudding. It was still too heavy and eggy for me.  The recipe the Marquee is using probably needs to be adjusted.

By way of comparison, below are two pics from the dinner I had in February.  Not much has changed, except the sliver of sweet corn was missing this time.

IMG_186.jpg.d1e8a35a90df238f6ce327ae0156423c.jpg

IMG_0186b.jpg.f64843bc8d73f70122fa862636e44bd5.jpg

The Marquee remains one of the busier bars in Pattaya.

IMG_0183.jpg.9eef933b9be54061a9f05e1f54271c42.jpg

I ate at about 3 p.m. and counted 50 guests at that time.  Another 20 arrived during the 45 minutes I was there,  while 10 or so left.

IMG_0184.jpg.1320dd7e777cc74456476ca6ba6a2297.jpg

The Marquee was about two-thirds full.  It wasn't hard to find a seat, but I had to sit at the counter as all the tables were taken. 

Bottom line:  The Sunday roast chicken dinner at the Marquee is far from the best in Pattaya, but it's still good value for money at the price.  I'm not a fan of the roast beef and pork dinners as they use packaged pre-cooked and sliced meat, but that's a matter of personal preference.  I'm sure there are others who eat them with gusto.

Evil

I am definitely surprised that Marquee has sustained this offer, do they still do the fish n chips on Friday?

I realise there has been some developments in the budget meal options in Pattaya in my absence with CM, HH and cheap charlies of which I am probably one although Marquee is the only one I have "dined" at.

Many a breakfast I have had at Marquee at around 3 PM? of Friday Fish and chips or Sunday Roast beef dinner, OK the quality is not the greatest but after what I did to my body and with my body the night before, for 100 baht it was either an all day breakfast or for variance one of the aforementioned I did not need quality as I doubt I would really taste it.(hence I think the trend to drown food with anything "spicy)",

On a recent trip I stayed at D hotel and had breakfast every morning for a week at the Marquee. It's a good place for brekky. I mostly had the English breakfast. The service is fast and cheerful and the coffee was good. I think it was around 120 baht. Mornings was not crowded so easy to find a good seat. My only complaint was I thought the music was a little loud for being early in the morning. But then I'm old and grumpy and was hungover most mornings...

Went there Sunday (5th Jan) with a group of friends, got there at 2pm and couldn't get a seat.

Had a couple of beers until getting a seat, we ordered but only 4 (of 6) received food. After half hour waiting and reminding the service staff, was told they had "run out" This was about 3pm.

The serving staff were literally run off their feet, never seen it so busy.

Those of us who hadn't eaten moved on to HH where we had a good sunday lunch

Edited by Thamesbank
typo

5 minutes ago, Thamesbank said:

Went there Sunday (5th Jan) with a group of friends, got there at 2pm and couldn't get a seat.

Had a couple of beers until getting a seat, we ordered but only 4 (of 6) received food. After half hour waiting and reminding the service staff, was told they had "run out" This was about 3pm.

The serving staff were literally run off their feet, never seen it so busy.

Those of us who hadn't eaten moved on to HH where we had a good sunday lunch

Prior to Christmas you could get a seat at any time of day. And in a weeks time it will be like that again.

• Like 1

Just now, thumper64 said:

Prior to Christmas you could get a seat at any time of day. And in a weeks time it will be like that again.

Probably. Will be there again in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thumper64 said:

Pattaya has well emptied out over the last couple of days no problems getting seats now in any bars/restaurants Yippee

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Went today for Sunday lunch. Was excellent as per usual. Really glad this place has managed (so far) to survive during COVID

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2021 at 22:35, Leo_Bia said:

I got told today that Simon the owner of the Marquee Bar had died last weekend.

Can anyone confirm?

They were all wearing black tie when I walked past just now. Looked like they had got back from a funeral 

24 minutes ago, Gonetothedogs said:

They were all wearing black tie when I walked past just now. Looked like they had got back from a funeral 

That is sad.

image.png

I did see something on FB abt him dying…shocked…as seems young age to go.

The Marquee was the 1st scooter type theme bar and was always packed out day and night….great decor, music and service and drinks prices were very good too.

Wonder what will happen with the bar now….another Covid casualty??

• Sad 2

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

27 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

I did see something on FB abt him dying…shocked…as seems young age to go.

The Marquee was the 1st scooter type theme bar and was always packed out day and night….great decor, music and service and drinks prices were very good too.

Really hope not. Love the Sunday lunch over a beer or 9.

I’ll ask 

Thanks for confirming, as it was a Thai Girl who told me that Simon had died from cancer, and I was not sure if the info. was correct.

1 hour ago, stickyfingers said:

I did see something on FB abt him dying

I see it now, and yes his cremation was today.

1 hour ago, stickyfingers said:

Not sure if it will change, as if I remember correctly, there was two owners, both named Simon, one running the bar, and the other a sleeping partner.

Simon's wife and family were all hands on in the bar, so hopefully nothing changes.

RIP Simon.

217752036_4126053017431315_2490700508963987391_n.jpg.26bb4f0843faf78fb2e7229eb73b0631.jpg

Edited by Leo_Bia
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...