IGNORED

Bugs in hotel rooms

elche

Just got back from a month long trip.  Like many hotels in Thailand, bugs can be a problem.  Most recently I've been staying at the Diamond City Place hotel on Pattaya Thai, near third road.  I usually buy a can of bug spray and one spray of the corners of the room keeps the room free of bugs for my stay.  This time, however, I had problems with these little bugs.  I don't know if they were miniature ants or termites but almost everyday I had found more of them in the room.

I suspect previous visitors had a lot of food in the room and they were returning from other rooms through the ventilation system into my room.  

Once they are in, so tuff to get rid of, especially if previous occupants have left food lying around.... Some places make you vacate your room for an afternoon weekly while they blast them away with strong repellent. The Queen Vic does, and its hygiene is excellent. Not that I would ever stay there again personally 

Give your room a really good going over with the killer spray, skirting boards, and especially the dark inside of the wardrobe etc,.

.... don't come back into room for a few hours mate, the spray isn't good for your lungs 

Edited by Pauly

One of the things I buy at 7-11 when I first arrive in Pattaya is a can of bug spray, because several hotels I've stayed at had ants in the rooms. Better to be prepared than wake up in middle of night with ants crawling all over you.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Name and shame for other members' benefit......first one on my mind is Nana hotel, Bangkok. I won't stay there again. Bugs everywhere.

No thank god I have never experienced bed bugs in any hotels throughout Thailand. I must have lucked out.

The bugs I refer to are ants, and they are a little different from the ones in my neck of the woods back home. The Pattaya hotel ants seem to be smaller and lighter shaded, and much quicker than their American counterparts. 

Off the top of my head I remember my room at the VT 6 condo and Privi Suites had ants, and Lido Beach hotel had a huge dead roach one time in the bathroom.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

On 19/10/2017 at 03:10, 4niceight said:

Name and shame for other members' benefit......first one on my mind is Nana hotel, Bangkok. I won't stay there again. Bugs everywhere.

Was there in March only noticed 1 cockroach bit delapidated but clean will see in a few weeks how the refurbishment is going.

5 hours ago, starfucks said:

You mean bedbugs?

Change room, or better even change hotel.

little round black crawling bugs and small cockroaches

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 09:12, 4niceight said:

little round black crawling bugs and small cockroaches

whatever, but get the fuck outta there mate. a few mozzies in the wardrobe you can put up with but creepy-crawlies biting your ass while you sleep you can do without.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

2 hours ago, The Sly Fox said:

whatever, but get the fuck outta there mate. a few mozzies in the wardrobe you can put up with but creepy-crawlies biting your ass while you sleep you can do without.

Yeah, definitely. In a town with hundreds (thousands?) of hotels, its best to move on to the next one. Even if your current hotel puts out enough spray to kill them all, those creepy crawlies will be back. 

Best to pick a place that has a preventative posture, rather than reactive. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Don't think I've ever spotted an ant in any hotel room yet. Prob cos I never eat in the room.

Plenty of mossies, tho. Impossible to keep those fuckers out.

9 minutes ago, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

I find the air conditioning usually keeps mozzies at bay.

I must be staying at the wrong places. I don't recall ever seeing any critters in the rooms I've stayed in while in Patts. Can't say that about the hotels I've stayed here in the US.

• 2 months later...

Before you check in,

- Look at the several booking web sites also here before paying

- Read all the reviews 

- Don't be a cheap charlie :) 

• 1 year later...
On 19/10/2017 at 05:52, elche said:

Just got back from a month long trip.  Like many hotels in Thailand, bugs can be a problem.  Most recently I've been staying at the Diamond City Place Hotel on Pattaya Thai, near third road.  I usually buy a can of bug spray and one spray of the corners of the room keeps the room free of bugs for my stay.  This time, however, I had problems with these little bugs.  I don't know if they were miniature ants or termites but almost everyday I had found more of them in the room.

I suspect previous visitors had a lot of food in the room and they were returning from other rooms through the ventilation system into my room.  

That's a really bad experience. I've been to Pattaya several times, but I haven't encountered this situation. Most of the hotels I stayed in are No. 1 or No. 2, because the traffic is convenient and many people will live there. Safety and hygiene are guaranteed.

On 10/12/2017 at 08:24, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

Don't think I've ever spotted an ant in any hotel room yet. Prob cos I never eat in the room.

Your habits are very good. I don't eat staple food in my room. Occasionally, I eat fruit to keep my daily intake of vitamin C.

If you stay on the six, u will notice the babes buy baby grasshoppers with chilli and shallots from the vendors :wink:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

1 needs to be careful when dealing with insects / bugs, just google Canadians die in Chieng Mai hotel, there we're a couple others tourists ( young healthy) who met the same fate down south.

I believe the hotel in Chieng Mai was quickly bulldozed. Some of those sprays can be deadly.

42 minutes ago, stan jonathen said:

just google Canadians die in Chieng Mai hotel,

Are these the one? Audrey and Noémi Bélanger. If so, it happened on Phi Phi  but your are right; dealing with insecticider is dangerous.

The death earlier this year in Thailand of two sisters from Quebec was caused by caused by drinking a cocktail that includes the insecticide DEET, an autopsy concluded.

Results of the autopsy at a Bangkok hospital have not been publicly released, but they were shown to reporters for CBC's French-language news network.

Normally she she is eating them while crouched down on the floor with a bbq mud fish and som tam with pla ra. Apparently delicious.  :Crazy1:

Or even like thisisdre said they take them to work:Laugh1:

Everyone needs to look out for “hitchhikers” in your suitcase when you pack up. Either changing hotels or heading home, you don’t want to bring the pests to your next bedroom. 

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

• 1 month later...

Another useful product you find here in Thailand, which I've not seen back in the UK, is an 'ant-chalk-stick'.

My sister-in-law gets me to bring her some back, when I visit London, for use in her catering-kitchens !

But I don't mind finding a dead cockroach, and you do get some beauties here in the tropics, as the ants soon carry them off. :o

• 2 months later...
On 18/10/2017 at 14:52, elche said:

Just got back from a month long trip.  Like many hotels in Thailand, bugs can be a problem.  Most recently I've been staying at the Diamond City Place hotel on Pattaya Thai, near third road.  I usually buy a can of bug spray and one spray of the corners of the room keeps the room free of bugs for my stay.  This time, however, I had problems with these little bugs.  I don't know if they were miniature ants or termites but almost everyday I had found more of them in the room.

Be thankful you didn’t stay at the Penthouse - saw more than termites - cockroaches small medium & large plush the various creatures that feast on them.