IGNORED

Thai Retirement Visa

johnfb43

For those using TransferWise for the monthly 65k transfers, be afraid be very afraid, they have changed their system, it no longer is shown at FTT at Bangkok Bank, they are using a SMART system. This will most likely impact your extensions

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:54, petermik said:

He can apply at anytime provided (assuming funds in the bank) his money has been in for 2 months for the first application/3 months afterwards.

Retirement extension starts the same time/date as his successful application  :)

That's a big improvement from when I first got my retirement extension in Sep 2006.  I got my Non O visa at Jomtien at a cost of 2000 baht which was them immediately stamped "Üsed" then went to the next station to get the retirement extension for 1900 baht.  My one year didn't start that day but 2 weeks earlier on the day I entered LOS at BKK on the 30 day entry stamp. No complaints from as the process was very easy. I entered LOS on that trip with no plans of getting the retirement extension.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 21:20, sulu said:

Just talked to a buddy tonight who's going the retirement route. He claims to have all the proper paperwork and has taken it to Jomtien to be processed (Section 7 ?) and he claims he's being asked for 20K Baht to process it.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing ?

This is what I paid an IO in Jomtien a few years ago for my retirement visa (not an extension).  Due to my business schedule I was unable to remain in Thailand and do things properly.  Within 8 days, I went from a 30-day stamp to a retirement visa which was actually good for a total of 15 months (3 month non O + the 1 year retirement).

To do the whole process within the proper time-frame (+ 3 months) would have cost about 7K, so I was happy to pay an extra 13K to get it done.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 23:09, Oukiva said:

Let me guess:

• he his American
  • he is on a Tourist Visa (or visa Exemption) and need a non-O for a Retirement Extension
  • the person he saw in Jomtien is a lady
  • the "fee" includes everything. (transfer to non-O, Extension...)
  • he has been said that if doesn't pay he will have to go to Bangkok to have his US affidavit signed at the Thai foreign affairs office

If all is yes, then he is the victim of a well know case of corruption at Jomtien Immigration, related several times on ThaiVisa, but it used to be 16'000 baht "only"

Using the 800'000 baht route, or trying to come another day hopping that this lady will not be there , are his best options...

Not a bad guess, but still a guess.  If this applicant's affairs are not in order or he does not wish to follow the proper time-line, 'this lady' may simply be offering an alternative.   Corrupt, yes, absolutely, but not necessarily a scam from the applicant's standpoint.  It really depends on the applicant's situation and the depth of knowledge the applicant has regarding his situation.  If an applicant realizes he is paying extra for a short-cut, he may very well feel lucky to have met 'this lady'.   To be fair, it doesn't sound like the OP's buddy understands why he is being charged 20K.   Not to say if he did understand, it would cost him less.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 23:22, KittenKong said:

If he has all the proper paperwork, and a current visa suitable for extension, then all he should pay is 1900B as mentioned. If he is being asked for more then there must be something wrong with his paperwork or his current visa and the extra is being requested in order to smooth out the wrinkles. Or maybe he just looks gullible and they are trying it on?

It is entirely possible to get a longer visa suitable for extension issued here if you have entered on a short visa-waiver etc. but the procedure is a little complex and much attention must be paid to dates of submission and dates of depositing money. Jomtien will accept the application and they will send it to Bangkok for processing. I have a friend who did it last month, and he has just successfully extended that visa for one year based on retirement.

Sounded like the OP's buddy was applying for a retirement visa and not extending.   From my experience, extending is much quicker/easier than getting the initial retirement visa.   But yes, probably something wrong with his paperwork and/or he had a 'special' request.    And yes, always the possibility he is simply being scammed, but I'm hoping not.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 09:42, Oukiva said:

Yes, should be this way, and still is for most people :)  but read my post #80 above :

At least one officer at Jomtien manage to get a lot of pocket money :rolleyes: using corruption :wacko:

I cannot argue with your comment regarding pocket money & corruption, but I would say that on more than one occasion my life in Thailand has been made much easier due to corruption.  Having said that, I will also say that I am part of the corruption (supply & demand).

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 19:23, sulu said:

I should have been more clear but THIS is exactly what it sounds like. I KNEW one of you guys would recognize it.

I believe he said he already has ALL the required paperwork for his retirement visa. I believe that means he already HAS the Non O-A, has the US affidavit (WITH the stamp on the back LMAO), has all the financial proof, etc. BUT the lady (in Section 7 ?) is asking for 20-26K BAHT to process the paperwork (presumably all that includes is sending it all up to Bangkok and calling the guy when it gets back).

Anybody ever try to rat this person out ? I mean I get that public service officials typically run their own little shop with their supervisors turning their back on everything but seriously, this lady can get away with this ? In Thai Immigration ? She "receipts" the required amount and finds a way to put the rest in her pocket ?

You might be right.  You certainly know about your friend's situation more than I do.   But you do say that you believe he has all the paperwork which might imply some degree of uncertainty.   Did he ask the IO why it would cost him so much?  I would be really interested to know the IO's explanation (if she had one).

As far as 'ratting' this person out, no one in their right mind would want to make enemies in Immigration.  Doesn't matter if the person deserves it or not.   And I would hate to see her leave - I might need her in the future.   Assuming this person is the same IO who helped me a few years back.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 19:49, Billyboy294 said:

I suspect the extra fee is for arranging to get the 3 months Immigrant  Non '0' from Bangkok to save you going and     in theory you should then use it for 2 months and in your 3rd month you can than apply for the Retirement 'visa'. That was how it used to be.  But I assume that you will not be required to do this hence me saying in my post above "including speeding up the process.".

For some people it might not be convenient to stay in Thailand and waiting  2+ months to then apply for Retirement.

Exactly.  This was my situation when I applied for my retirement visa.

Gaee lao. mai law doi. Mai ben rai, mee daang!

This is what I paid an IO in Jomtien a few years ago for my retirement visa (not an extension).  Due to my business schedule I was unable to remain in Thailand and do things properly.  Within 8 days, I went from a 30-day stamp to a retirement visa which was actually good for a total of 15 months (3 month non O + the 1 year retirement).
To do the whole process within the proper time-frame (+ 3 months) would have cost about 7K, so I was happy to pay an extra 13K to get it done.

What did you do for the next extension?

3 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

What did you do for the next extension?

The extensions have been easy so far.   I just need to be in Thailand within the 30 day period before expiration.  The process (including multiple entry) takes only two business days.

The extensions have been easy so far.   I just need to be in Thailand within the 30 day period before expiration.  The process (including multiple entry) takes only two business days.
I mean you described using the agent method did you then switch to the legit 65k monthly or 800k method?

12 hours ago, Scuba+ said:
15 hours ago, timbota said:

I mean you described using the agent method did you then switch to the legit 65k monthly or 800k method?

Always the 800k method for the retirement visa and the extensions.   My initial problem was only the amount of time required in-country to go from a 30-day stamp to a retirement visa.   All my extensions have been 'by the book'.

And to be clear, I have never used an agent.   All my dealings have been directly with Thai Immigration officials in Jomtien.    Prior to getting my retirement visa, I was given very useful advice by an Immigration Official in Suvarnabhumi which I discussed with the IO in Jomtien.   Things went smoothly from there.

Thus far, I have had great success dealing directly with Thai Immigration.   I found them to be very understanding regarding my initial situation.   And their willingness to bend the rules for getting my retirement visa helped me immensely.    No complaints from me.

I heard it discussed 2 or 3 YEARS ago that the Thais were going to do the routine 3 month(?) extensions via the internet so the retiree didn't even have to GO to immigration (I suppose the annual visit would still be required though).

Not happening ?

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

I heard it discussed 2 or 3 YEARS ago that the Thais were going to do the routine 3 month(?) extensions via the internet so the retiree didn't even have to GO to immigration (I suppose the annual visit would still be required though).

Not happening ?
90 day online reporting yes, although people report problems with the website.

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

Checking out the Thai Embassy site in the USA.

Small(?) change - Unless it's a misprint of some sort it looks like the 800K Baht is allowed to be in a US Bank - doesn't have to be in a Thai bank.

"6. US or Thai bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht"

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

Small(?) change - Unless it's a misprint of some sort it looks like the 800K Baht is allowed to be in a US Bank - doesn't have to be in a Thai bank.

"6. US or Thai bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht"
https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/
That's correct for the non imm O-A, no change

14 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:
1 hour ago, sulu said:

That's correct for the non imm O-A, no change

No change ? I recall more than one instance of BMs saying they had to have the 800K Baht in a Thai bank account.

Was I reading ALL OLD posts ?

24 minutes ago, sulu said:

No change ? I recall more than one instance of BMs saying they had to have the 800K Baht in a Thai bank account.

Was I reading ALL OLD posts ?

As @Scuba+ posted, the 800k minimum on deposit in your home country's bank is for the visa. The extension to stay once the visa expires requires 800k in a Thai bank, or proof of 65k/month.

6 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

As @Scuba+ posted, the 800k minimum on deposit in your home country's bank is for the visa. The extension to stay once the visa expires requires 800k in a Thai bank, or proof of 65k/month.

So once one decides to BE an ex-pat and stay in Thailand the 800K needs to be in a THAI bank ?

OK then, got it. Thanks.

2 hours ago, sulu said:

So once one decides to BE an ex-pat and stay in Thailand the 800K needs to be in a THAI bank ?

Yes,

or he can return to his country every 1-2 years to get a new Visa O-A each time. Some people do this way, because they don't want to put money in a Thai bank, or because anyway they return regularly in their country to see family or any other reason...

Not good news I went to immigration yesterday to speak to an officer reference the renewal of my retirement visa extension. I had a print out from my UK bank HSBC advice of debit payed into my Thailand bank Kasikorn. I had one for every month starting last Jul 2018 to day. I also told him I could get a report from K bank showing it was deposited and was always above 80,000tb . he told me no it would not be allowed  only a letter from my Embassy or 800,000tb in the bank. lucky for me its not due until Dec2019. so I have time to transfer the 800,000tb.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

10 minutes ago, JAI DEE MAK said:

Not good news I went to immigration yesterday to speak to an officer reference the renewal of my retirement visa extension. I had a print out from my UK bank HSBC advice of debit payed into my Thailand bank Kasikorn. I had one for every month starting last Jul 2018 to day. I also told him I could get a report from K bank showing it was deposited and was always above 80,000tb . he told me no it would not be allowed  only a letter from my Embassy or 800,000tb in the bank. lucky for me its not due until Dec2019. so I have time to transfer the 800,000tb.

JDM

Thanks for the report. Which immigration office was this?

JDM
They don't appear to be giving the option of embassy letter or monthly transfers which they are supposed to. I guess you are from a country that is still issuing the embassy letter? if so why don't you just do that?

39 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

They don't appear to be giving the option of embassy letter or monthly transfers which they are supposed to. I guess you are from a country that is still issuing the embassy letter? if so why don't you just do that?

No he isn’t.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

They aren't showing leniency so if less than 12 months of transfers from abroad i could understand it, but if that is not the case then it appears they want to push people to the corrupt route

1 hour ago, davidge said:

No he isn’t.

Sorry to topic fuck but  after the last update,  my National Flag (Scotland) has disappeared.

I note that davidge has got his Welsh flag,. What is the situation? It is always useful to know the nationality of  a person who you may be having a discussion.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

To avoid taking the thread too far off track, I’ve removed most of the posts about flags but I have passed it on in the hope that a fix can be found.

Thanks

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

23 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Thanks for the report. Which immigration office was this?

Pattaya.

JDM

22 hours ago, Scuba+ said:
23 hours ago, JAI DEE MAK said:
JDM

If you can get a letter from your Embassy then its accepted .

I have a British Passport.JDM

If you can get a letter from your Embassy then its accepted .

I have a British Passport.JDM

I re read your initial post, is the problem the monthly transfers are not shown as FTT? maybe you used Transferwise or similar? If so that makes sense why they said no. They wouldn't be interested in your HSBC advices, shouldn't be necessary

Archived