IGNORED

Thai Retirement Visa

johnfb43

Just talked to a buddy tonight who's going the retirement route. He claims to have all the proper paperwork and has taken it to Jomtien to be processed (Section 7 ?) and he claims he's being asked for 20K Baht to process it.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing ?

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sulu said:

Just talked to a buddy tonight who's going the retirement route. He claims to have all the proper paperwork and has taken it to Jomtien to be processed (Section 7 ?) and he claims he's being asked for 20K Baht to process it.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing ?

I assume you are talking about an O-A visa, which technically is a one year long stay visa. It can be renewed. I paid $200 USD for my first one, which I obtained in the US. My understanding is the current renewal fee, which must be done in Thailand, is 6000 Baht or approximately $200 USD.

There are requirements for this type of visa mainly including demonstrable income and/or savings. These are well documented in other treads and also at this link.

http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/pages-Visa.html

I am guessing that your buddy is paying a surcharge to have someone process this for him. There could be many reasons for this.

23 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I assume you are talking about an O-A visa, which technically is a one year long stay visa. 

No. You can't get a non-O-A in Thailand, only in your home country (at 99.99%)

A O-A is a Multi 1-year Visa that give you 1-year at each Entry. You can stay up to 2 years total in Thailand with it.

24 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

It can be renewed. I paid $200 USD for my first one, which I obtained in the US. 

No. None of the Thai Visa can be renewed. You can just get a new one, outside Thailand.

1 hour ago, sulu said:

He claims to have all the proper paperwork and has taken it to Jomtien to be processed (Section 7 ?) and he claims he's being asked for 20K Baht to process it. Anybody ever heard of such a thing ?

Let me guess:

• he his American
  • he is on a Tourist Visa (or visa Exemption) and need a non-O for a Retirement Extension
  • the person he saw in Jomtien is a lady
  • the "fee" includes everything. (transfer to non-O, Extension...)
  • he has been said that if doesn't pay he will have to go to Bangkok to have his US affidavit signed at the Thai foreign affairs office

If all is yes, then he is the victim of a well know case of corruption at Jomtien Immigration, related several times on ThaiVisa, but it used to be 16'000 baht "only"

Using the 800'000 baht route, or trying to come another day hopping that this lady will not be there , are his best options...

1 hour ago, sulu said:

If he has all the proper paperwork, and a current visa suitable for extension, then all he should pay is 1900B as mentioned. If he is being asked for more then there must be something wrong with his paperwork or his current visa and the extra is being requested in order to smooth out the wrinkles. Or maybe he just looks gullible and they are trying it on?

It is entirely possible to get a longer visa suitable for extension issued here if you have entered on a short visa-waiver etc. but the procedure is a little complex and much attention must be paid to dates of submission and dates of depositing money. Jomtien will accept the application and they will send it to Bangkok for processing. I have a friend who did it last month, and he has just successfully extended that visa for one year based on retirement.

I went to Immigration about a week ago  to renew  my 1 year extension of stay based on Retirement. Had all the paper work,TM7, passport photocopies, letter from British Embassy confirming I had a pension  of over 65,000 baht per month and  a Bill from 3BB (internet) with my name confirming my address.

An assistant sitting outside Desk 8 checked my paperwork, all in order:  asked for 1,900 Baht (yes he did give me change from 2000 baht) and passed my docs over to the Officer. Gave me a number and said come back next day to pick up passport. A few years ago they also wanted to see  at least 100,000 baht in a Thai bank, but the last year or two they have not asked for this but I always take my bankbook just in case.

Now it is more straight forward to RENEW your retirement 'visa' as opposed to a first time application. Normally the easiest way to do it is getting first a Non Immigrant O ( I think that is the name) 3 months Visa outside Thailand. That is what i did many years ago.

They did start giving them out at Jomtien but now you have to get them from Bangkok. However instead of going to Bangkok,  you can initiate things at Jomtien to get it from Bangkok by going to a private room. I suspect that is what the 20K fee is for, including speeding up the process..

The last paragraph of  KittenKong's post above is similar to my last paragraph

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

9 hours ago, Oukiva said:

No. You can't get a non-O-A in Thailand, only in your home country (at 99.99%)

A O-A is a Multi 1-year Visa that give you 1-year at each Entry. You can stay up to 2 years total in Thailand with it.

No. None of the Thai Visa can be renewed. You can just get a new one, outside Thailand.

I think you are incorrect about some of this, if I am understanding.

I did my initial in my home country, but I have talked to others who did it here.

I believe an O-A is good for one year at a time and you can renew annually without a limit. I have a buddy who has been doing that for 17 years within Thailand.

On 17/10/2017 at 22:24, Billyboy294 said:

Why do you receive 1350 USD from a UK pension.

The British Embassy require proof of pension.

I think they only do it by post now. You post them the proof of the pension plus copy of page with it going into your bank. It can be a UK bank or a Thai bank.They post back the certified letter.

They also do it by e mail now.  I scaned my proof of income to them by e mail and the required letter arrived at my home here after about 5 days.

9 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

Retirement extensions in Thailand cost only 1900 baht.

Since this is his first one and not a renewal ( I assume), then he will first have to get the Non "O" visa at a cost of  2000 baht then the retirement extension for 1900 baht.

49 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I think you are incorrect about some of this, if I am understanding.

I did my initial in my home country, but I have talked to others who did it here.

I believe an O-A is good for one year at a time and you can renew annually without a limit. I have a buddy who has been doing that for 17 years within Thailand.

I think you will find your mate is extending his visa, either by retirement extension or marriage (I don't know). The other poster is correct, you can not obtain that visa class in Thailand.  It has to be done in your own country.  Cop checks, medicals etc.

And he is correct that if you make your last entry close to the expiration of the visa, you will get a further 12 months permission to stay.

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

I think you are incorrect about some of this //I believe an O-A is good for one year at a time and you can renew annually without a limit. I have a buddy who has been doing that for 17 years within Thailand.

No. His Visa very probably died 17 years ago; it's no more a valid Visa (that's why he needs a Re-Entry Permit when he leave Thailand) and it has never been "renew".

What he ask and get each year is a new 1-Year Extension of his Authorisation of Stay.

58 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

Since this is his first one and not a renewal ( I assume), then he will first have to get the Non "O" visa at a cost of  2000 baht then the retirement extension for 1900 baht.

Yes, should be this way, and still is for most people :)  but read my post #80 above :

At least one officer at Jomtien manage to get a lot of pocket money :rolleyes: using corruption :wacko:

20 hours ago, Oukiva said:

Let me guess:

• he his American
  • he is on a Tourist Visa (or visa Exemption) and need a non-O for a Retirement Extension
  • the person he saw in Jomtien is a lady
  • the "fee" includes everything. (transfer to non-O, Extension...)
  • he has been said that if doesn't pay he will have to go to Bangkok to have his US affidavit signed at the Thai foreign affairs office

If all is yes, then he is the victim of a well know case of corruption at Jomtien Immigration, related several times on ThaiVisa, but it used to be 16'000 baht "only"

Using the 800'000 baht route, or trying to come another day hopping that this lady will not be there , are his best options...

I should have been more clear but THIS is exactly what it sounds like. I KNEW one of you guys would recognize it.

I believe he said he already has ALL the required paperwork for his retirement visa. I believe that means he already HAS the Non O-A, has the US affidavit (WITH the stamp on the back LMAO), has all the financial proof, etc. BUT the lady (in Section 7 ?) is asking for 20-26K BAHT to process the paperwork (presumably all that includes is sending it all up to Bangkok and calling the guy when it gets back).

Anybody ever try to rat this person out ? I mean I get that public service officials typically run their own little shop with their supervisors turning their back on everything but seriously, this lady can get away with this ? In Thai Immigration ? She "receipts" the required amount and finds a way to put the rest in her pocket ?

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

19 hours ago, Billyboy294 said:

Now it is more straight forward to RENEW your retirement 'visa' as opposed to a first time application. Normally the easiest way to do it first time is getting first a Non Immigrant O ( I think that is the name) 3 months Visa outside Thailand. That is what i did many years ago.

They did start giving them out at Jomtien but now you have to get them from Bangkok. However instead of going to Bangkok,  you can initiate things at Jomtien to get it from Bangkok by going to a private room. I suspect that is what the 20K fee is for, including speeding up the process..

I suspect the extra fee is for arranging to get the 3 months Immigrant  Non '0' from Bangkok to save you going and     in theory you should then use it for 2 months and in your 3rd month you can than apply for the Retirement 'visa'. That was how it used to be.  But I assume that you will not be required to do this hence me saying in my post above "including speeding up the process.".

For some people it might not be convenient to stay in Thailand and waiting  2+ months to then apply for Retirement.

• 2 months later...

Went to Jomtien Immigration this morning. In at 09:15 hrs out by 09:45 hrs.  Was to renew my 1 year visa. 1900 baht

Had TM 7 filled out , letter from bank as well as copies of bank book showing balance > 800 k .I have always used a term deposit account for this, never any problem I just withdraw 100 baht day before so they can see it is accessible. Some photo copy of passport pages showing last extension & original visa.

Did not need any rental agreement as I have a faring ID card issued by Ampur ( nice pink one )so that takes away the need for confirmation of address. Also means when you reenter the country you do not have to register with them.

Pick up passport 10 am tomorrow & obtain multiple reentry .

All in all very painless process IF you have the right paperwork.   

5 hours ago, Harve said:

Went to Jomtien Immigration this morning. In at 09:15 hrs out by 09:45 hrs.  Was to renew my 1 year visa. 1900 baht

Had TM 7 filled out , letter from bank as well as copies of bank book showing balance > 800 k .I have always used a term deposit account for this, never any problem I just withdraw 100 baht day before so they can see it is accessible. Some photo copy of passport pages showing last extension & original visa.

Did not need any rental agreement as I have a faring ID card issued by Ampur ( nice pink one )so that takes away the need for confirmation of address. Also means when you reenter the country you do not have to register with them.

Pick up passport 10 am tomorrow & obtain multiple reentry .

All in all very painless process IF you have the right paperwork.   

Renewing retirement visa easy for me there too recently.  No queuing, good time of year to do it.    

Going back the next day is a little bit of a hassle, but they then did the re-entry visa in 10 minutes.  Once a year, not a big problem if you get your ducks/docs in a row. (Correct paperwork).

I used thai drivers license for address proof.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi
I made my extension yesterday (Friday) at 10:30. No queue at all. No-one waiting at the reception. :)
I had first to fill & sign 2 pages about "Not working on Retirement" and "Rules of Overstay". I already signed them a few years back.
The treatment of my files was express: barely more than 1 minute. No farang at desk #8. Just the time to highlight all signatures and important dates on my docs (TM7, Embassy revenues attestation, Passport + TM6 copies, Internet bill for address) and to pay 1'900B
I will have to get my Passport back on Monday. Seems not possible to get it in the afternoon as before.
Globally so easy! Lucky to depend on Jomtien Immigration :wink:

Edit: Nobody talked or asked about a TM30...  :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 19:49, Billyboy294 said:

I suspect the extra fee is for arranging to get the 3 months Immigrant  Non '0' from Bangkok to save you going and     in theory you should then use it for 2 months and in your 3rd month you can than apply for the Retirement 'visa'. That was how it used to be.  But I assume that you will not be required to do this hence me saying in my post above "including speeding up the process.".

For some people it might not be convenient to stay in Thailand and waiting  2+ months to then apply for Retirement.

Good analysis.

But when I did my original single entry "O" i left with a re-entry permit and returned in the last 30 days to get my one year type "O"  extension of stay based on retirement without a hitch. I continued working part time back in America for the next two years coming and going via a multiple re-entry permit but timing my visits to be sure to be here in the last 30 days so I could renew my retirement visa.

Thailand makes it pretty easy for those 50 or over with their own means to visit often or live here full time.

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. John Stuart Mill
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/john_stuart_mill

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person

than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."  John Stuart Mill

I attended the US Citizen Services outreach at the Dusit Thani hotel on June 6th to obtain my income letter rather than make the trip to Bangkok.  They reduced the hours this year and are visiting Pattaya less often than in past years but they got the job done. They posted that they were only open 10am-noon this year, I arrived just before 11am as in prior years.  They were working on #90 and I was #263 !!  They assured me that everyone who got a number would be taken care of.  I left shortly before 1pm and there were still 30-40 people waiting but much easier than ruining a whole morning traveling back & forth to Bangers.

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. John Stuart Mill
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/john_stuart_mill

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person

than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."  John Stuart Mill

I live in Bangkok, but I presume it's not that different from Jomtien. This morning I went to the Bangkok Immigration Office to extend my yearly retirement visa. All you have to do is this: 1. fill in the TM7 form, 2. make copies of your passport (stamps, identity page and the small TM document you got when you entered Thailand with a non-O visa), 3. two passport like photo's, 4. proof of residence (I always use the last bill from the place I rent, because it has my name on it and also the correct address), 5. a statement from the bank, proving that you have at least 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account (at Bangkok Immigration they prefer to get this proof the same day you're applying for the extension of your visa: an update from your bank account book and a letter from the bank, stating that you have at least 800,000 baht deposited, three months at least. make copies), 6. pay 1,900 baht.

A few side notes: nowadays at Bangkok Immigration, you have to wait about three hours for your turn. I use this time to update my bank account book and to get a statement from the bank. I have my bank account at Bangkok Bank and it's only a two minutes walk to this bank in the same building. Make copies. 

So, take your number, take care of the bank stuff after that and wait.

This morning I went in at about 8.45 am en went out at about 11.45.  With a renewed one year extension.

It seems like a lot of shit you have to take care of, but it's really not a big deal.

What I learned over the years is this: the moment you have at least 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account, the whole process of getting an extension of your visa is much easier and hassle free than to take the 'proof of income'  path.

Of course you have to make a lot of copies and so on, but it's really about the money in the end. The moment they see you have 800,000 baht stalled in a Thai bank account you get the stamp within minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Can some one answer this. A friend got a 3 months  Imm. Non-O  Visa in UK and intends to apply for the 'Retirement extension'.

Immigration used to say you must use this Visa for 2 months and then apply for Retirement in the 3rd Month. Is this rule still being enforced.

Secondly assuming  he gets his Retirement 'visa', is it dated from when he gets it,  OR, is it back-dated to when he entered the Country. That latter option seems to be buzzing around in my head but perhaps related to something else..

On 6/24/2018 at 12:15, Billyboy294 said:

Can some one answer this. A friend got a 3 months  Imm. Non-O  Visa in UK and intends to apply for the 'Retirement extension'.

Immigration used to say you must use this Visa for 2 months and then apply for Retirement in the 3rd Month. Is this rule still being enforced.

Secondly assuming  he gets his Retirement 'visa', is it dated from when he gets it,  OR, is it back-dated to when he entered the Country. That latter option seems to be buzzing around in my head but perhaps related to something else..

He can apply at anytime provided (assuming funds in the bank) his money has been in for 2 months for the first application/3 months afterwards.

Retirement extension starts the same time/date as his successful application  :)

2 hours ago, petermik said:

He can apply at anytime provided (assuming funds in the bank) his money has been in for 2 months for the first application/3 months afterwards.

Retirement extension starts the same time/date as his successful application  :)

Thanks for reply. Very clear.

I have an O-A Long Stay visa that I petitioned for and received in the US last Fall.

I am arriving in Thailand in late September after being away for 4 months. My intention is to "extend" my O-A for another year at that time. I qualify both on income and savings in a Thai bank account. I will spend a few days in Bangkok upon arrival and plan on going to the US Embassy for an income statement.

One can make an appointment:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

I have read all the Thai O-A visa extension materials and feel that I have things covered. I will go to the bank and get a letter from them. Additionally, I will bring my passbook in case they want to see it. I will ask my lady friend to do the immigration visit with me in order to assist with any communication matters. The person I rent the condo from is very good about TM 30 and will provide a letter verifying residence.

Any comments?

Archived