IGNORED

Motivation gone!

makavelli

13 minutes ago, mcfish said:

How many guys can speak fluent thai? 5% the rest use basic thai phrases and think they are thai speakers yourself included.
That wasn't what I was talking about.

All the girls In my phone speak acceptable English.

Never been to a restaurant or bar in lower Sukhumvit or pattaya where the waitress can not speak English.

If you go upcountry or simply to places that are not so touristic the let’s say 200 words one knows can make a huge difference to the experience. 

• Like 2

If you go upcountry or simply to places that are not so touristic the let’s say 200 words one knows can make a huge difference to the experience. 
Sure I already agreed with that scenario. You better damn well know thai if you hang out in the sticks.

5 hours ago, mcfish said:

How many guys can speak fluent thai? 5% the rest use basic thai phrases and think they are thai speakers yourself included.
That wasn't what I was talking about.

All the girls In my phone speak acceptable English.

Never been to a restaurant or bar in lower Sukhumvit or pattaya where the waitress can not speak English.

Huh you ever heard me speaking thai he?

ต่างภูมิลำเนา แต่ว่าเฮาก็เป็นคนไทย

• 1 year later...
On 10/11/2017 at 00:02, slick67 said:

ผิด :): without a tonemark it’s either a rising or a low tone...

Thats incorrect, i have learned the High consonant tonerules with this:

Hal = High consonant, aprupt = low tone

Her = High consonant, extensive = rising tone.

Like slick said, ผิด  the ด is aprupt ending (คำตาย)so the syllable is in lowtone.

I learned all tonerules with this system, and it makes it very easy because you only have to remember a few words.

ต่างภูมิลำเนา แต่ว่าเฮาก็เป็นคนไทย

• 10 months later...

Now with the Corona Virus here in the UK and having to stay in doors it has opened plenty of time back up to try and pick up my Thai again.

I am just wondering if anyone has any good programmes that they can recommend? Either free or if you have to pay a subscription fee (either will do)

Main thing I want to do is improve my conversation and vocab

Cheers

If you learn the language it may smash your rose tinted spectacles of the wonderful illusion that exists in this beautiful mongers paradise. 

You will hear what people really think of usmongers. If you are thick skinned then it's ok. If you are easily offended then what you don't know can't harm your dream:Dance1:

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/03/2020 at 20:34, makavelli said:

Now with the Corona Virus here in the UK and having to stay in doors it has opened plenty of time back up to try and pick up my Thai again.

I am just wondering if anyone has any good programmes that they can recommend? Either free or if you have to pay a subscription fee (either will do)

Cheers

I can recomend the app   called thai for beginners by benjawan poomsan..   its about 3000 words you can learn, and the learning prosess 

is with task to listen and then choose the correct word. its been recomended to me by other farlangs that have learned thai..

its about 20 dollar in google play, but really worth it   :) 

Edited by ketil_n

• 1 month later...

Don't give up mate, it's worth it in the long run.

Learning the characters of the alphabet is hard but extremely rewarding, your progress with skyrocket. 

Can find decent resources and ebooks online for letters, great to start with the Malee textbooks for kids.

• 8 months later...
On 26/03/2020 at 19:34, makavelli said:

Cheers

mango languages 7.99 a month i am a complete beginner and am learning the words and beginning to pick up the sentance struscture as well. which i am guessing you do not need also has a voice print which is mediocare but helps to see the wave pattern of your voice against the native thai speaker  

On 27/03/2020 at 06:04, makavelli said:

Check out this post https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/311843-issan-andy-my-ongoing-journey/?do=findComment&comment=5105099 for a few smartphone apps I have been using while learning Thai.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png