IGNORED

NFL: It's not soccer, it's not rugby, it's not Australian football, it's just amazing. Let's talk NFL

jerrygarcia

10 hours ago, The Sculptor said:

Big trades have happened and there may be more, especially given the lower salary cap and the cost of a quality quarterback.  Let’s chat about it in the days prior to the 29th or earlier if a move or two is made.  Big issues include:

• TL going number one (will it actually help the Jags turn the tide quickly?)
  • what will the NYJ do with pick #2 (and the other higher round picks they have)
  • what do the 49ers with the third pick after making a huge deal to move up from #6

My thoughts:
 - it's gonna take a while to turn the tide in Jacksonville. I think Urban Meyer is going to struggle handling losses like he's never seen before. Yes, TB turned aorund quickly, but they added TB12 and some other key veterans. Rookie QBs take a while to adjust. Their fans need to be patient. Aikman started 0-11 and finished 1-15; Peyton Manning went 3-13.

- Jets and Niners are both going QB. Question is who? Early indications have Zach Wilson (BYU) going to Jets - great arm strength. Rumors are Niners lover Mac Jones. Third overall seems high to me for him (think he benefitted from talent aorund him), but WTF do I know?

Speaking of the talent around Mac Jones, there is some SERIOUS WR talent at the top of the board, and 2 of them didn't play or hardly played last year - DeVonta Smith excelled, but Ja'Marr Chase sat out at LSU (COVID concerns, but perhaps shitty QB concerns too! 555) and Jaylen Waddle missed most of the year. Latest mock draft I saw has all 3 going in the top 8. Todd McShay has Chase going to Bengals at 5 and Smith to Dolphins at 6, which would pair them both up with their college QBs, Burrow and Tua, respectively.

I would LOVE to see Patrick Surtain available for Cowboys at 10, but don't think he'll slip to them. 

One guy I want to follow is FLA TE Kyle Pitts - he's a WRE in a TE's body. Freak of nature. Mel Kiper's highest grade for a TE prospect. 6'5', 245 lbs, ran a 4.44 40 and has the longest measured wingspan EVER for a TE or WR prospect. As I said....Freak. Of. Nature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t disagree at all on the NYJ.  Interesting issue for me is what happens to Sam Darnold?  NYJ GM has a bunch of picks this year and next, a new highly touted coach and a lot of holes to fill.  Doesn’t happen this way very often. 

Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.

On 03/04/2021 at 04:35, The Sculptor said:

Don’t disagree at all on the NYJ.  Interesting issue for me is what happens to Sam Darnold?  NYJ GM has a bunch of picks this year and next, a new highly touted coach and a lot of holes to fill.  Doesn’t happen this way very often. 

We now know the answer - traded to Carolina today for a 6th round pick this year and a 2nd and 4th round pick next year.

Not exactly a haul, but, despite the hype about his potential, he really hasn't shown much on the field thus far (although he certainly hasn't had any weapons aorund him or a competent coach!)

• Like 1

On 06/04/2021 at 06:45, Luv2Phuket said:

We now know the answer - traded to Carolina today for a 6th round pick this year and a 2nd and 4th round pick next year.  Not exactly a haul, but, despite the hype about his potential, he really hasn't shown much on the field thus far (although he certainly hasn't had any weapons around him or a competent coach!)

Yup. It's a decent return though I believe the trade is really about next year's picks (DUH?!). NYJ now have 7 picks in the first 2 rounds this year and next. It makes sense with their cap space to take higher picks next year. Also, Sam was a very good player from this point of view: The way he handled himself off the field and as a teammate. He was a class act throughout his tenure. He had so few weapons, and a coaching staff the past 2 years that was very near, or at the bottom of the NFL. SD deserves a fresh start (he's only 23) with an organization that has decent talent & coaching. Hopefully that gives him a fair shot at reaching his potential. 

Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.

L2P... do you have a favorite team you support??

1 minute ago, The Sculptor said:

L2P... do you have a favorite team you support??

Eh....kinda a Cowboys fan (had season tickets when I lived in Dallas and they were good - mid to late 90s), but a "REAL" Cowboys fan would be offended by how ambivalent I am about them.

On Darnold, he could turn the corner in Carolina - offensive minded coach (Matt Rhule), highly-touted offensive coordinator (Joe Brady), a WR with whom he already has had success (Robbie Anderson) and (when healthy) one of the most skilled RBs in the game (McCaffrey).

• Like 1

you didn't ask but here goes... been a lifelong NYG fan... Adopted them in grade 4 and have never looked back. almost half a century now.  actually, a lot spent time in dallas and to say TX is football mad would be accurate. incredible how much everyone knows about quarterbacking in the north texas area... 

3 hours ago, The Sculptor said:

you didn't ask but here goes... been a lifelong NYG fan... Adopted them in grade 4 and have never looked back. almost half a century now.  actually, a lot spent time in dallas and to say TX is football mad would be accurate. incredible how much everyone knows about quarterbacking in the north texas area... 

A close friend many years ago in Houston was a New Yorker and a lifelong Giants fan - he used to refer to them "old school" style as the "NY FOOTBALL Giants"!  5555

Football truly is a religion in Texas.

More than any team, I am really just an NFL fan.

Over the years, other sports have lost my interest and dropped off of my radar. I was a HUGE NBA fan for years, and it led to me working for the owner of a franchise for a while (low pay, but great perks if you liked going to games). My "proudest" moment was when I was in the "war room" on draft night and discussed a couple of prospects with one of the scouts -- he said "you really know your stuff!" Once I left that job and the game passes that came with it, things started to fade. For the past 2 years, I haven't watched much, if any, NBA. 

Ditto with college basketball. I went to a few Final Fours, but the only college basketball I watched this year was the 2nd half of the UCLA-Gonzaga game (THAT was worth it!) and a little of the title game (which was a blowout by the time I tuned in).

Even my closest sport -- boxing -- has started to fall off of my radar. Given the "no fans" policy for most of the past year, people in my position were no longer being permitted (i.e., PAID! 555) to attend. Over time, not being paid has made me less and less interested! 555

• Like 1

L2P: there is a real reason the NYG are referred to as the "football" giants.  Before the San Francisco Giants of MLB moved they were the NY Giants [Baseball] team.  They played in a field known as the Polo Grounds, which {incredibly} was in the north part of Manhattan.  My fave moniker for my guys will always be "The Big Blue Wrecking Crew".  although it refers to the dominant defense of the 80's, lots of NYG fans still use it for the entire team to this day. 

20 hours ago, The Sculptor said:

L2P: there is a real reason the NYG are referred to as the "football" giants.  Before the San Francisco Giants of MLB moved they were the NY Giants [Baseball] team.  They played in a field known as the Polo Grounds, which {incredibly} was in the north part of Manhattan.  My fave moniker for my guys will always be "The Big Blue Wrecking Crew".  although it refers to the dominant defense of the 80's, lots of NYG fans still use it for the entire team to this day. 

Well aware - that's why I said he was going "old school" by calling them that. Giants left the Polo Grounds for SF in 1958.

LOVE the clip of LT from the 1980s on the sideline - "Hey, baby, lets' go out there like a bunch of crazed dogs!"

• Like 1

If you have Twitter, this clip has some GREAT LT comments picked up on the mic:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Parked in front of my TV for draft day, and Niners shake things up at #3 with Trey Lance pick!

5 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Parked in front of my TV for draft day, and Niners shake things up at #3 with Trey Lance pick!

It did seem surprising to me that everyone was saying that they were trading up for Mac Jones.

Bit of a gamble on Trey Lance though.

1 hour ago, Leo_Bia said:

It did seem surprising to me that everyone was saying that they were trading up for Mac Jones.  Bit of a gamble on Trey Lance though.

Mac to the PATS...  

7 hours ago, WhiteThai said:

Hope the Raiders load up on defense. :Number1a:

So, of course they pick up a OT. 555

57 minutes ago, The Sculptor said:

Mac to the PATS...  

They must have been shocked that he was still available when it came to their turn?

17 hours ago, Leo_Bia said:

They must have been shocked that he was still available when it came to their turn?

It was a bit of a long shot, for sure.  Time will tell if it happened for a reason, or not. 

On 29/04/2021 at 17:45, Luv2Phuket said:

20 hours ago, Leo_Bia said:

It did seem surprising to me that everyone was saying that they were trading up for Mac Jones.

Bit of a gamble on Trey Lance though.

Was watching a pre-draft sports talk show and the question was, "Which drafted quarterback will have the best rookie year?" Two of the three talking heads said, "Who ever the 49ers select.". 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Going to be interesting to see if the Bears pick(#11) at QB will be better or worse than the Pats pick at #15.

Bears  #11.  Justin Fields

Pats    #15  Mac Jones

49 minutes ago, OKAY said:

Going to be interesting to see if the Bears pick(#11) at QB will be better or worse than the Pats pick at #15.

Bears  #11.  Justin Fields

Pats    #15  Mac Jones

I saw an article comparing Mac Jones going 15th, with Patrick Mahomes going 10th in 2017  :rolleyes:

Of the later round QB picks I think the Vikings could have someone with potential in Kellen Mond.

• 1 month later...

What I find strange is that of the 3 New York NFL teams only the Bills play in the state of New York while the Jets and Giants play in New Jersey.  With the NFL increasing the number of games to 17 this year it will change the season individual stats again.  I remember when Jim Brown was the top rusher and the season was only 12 games.  Then they increased to 14, then 16 and now 17.  Only 3 preseason games now so not a lot of time to evaluate rookies.

4 hours ago, usexpat46 said:

What I find strange is that of the 3 New York NFL teams only the Bills play in the state of New York while the Jets and Giants play in New Jersey.  With the NFL increasing the number of games to 17 this year it will change the season individual stats again.  I remember when Jim Brown was the top rusher and the season was only 12 games.  Then they increased to 14, then 16 and now 17.  Only 3 preseason games now so not a lot of time to evaluate rookies.

Preseason is a waste! I never watch.

Is there anything wrong with more games? The number of teams has increased since Jim Brown days!