IGNORED

NFL: It's not soccer, it's not rugby, it's not Australian football, it's just amazing. Let's talk NFL

jerrygarcia

On 11/14/2017 at 03:07, lasam56 said:

Kansas City beat Patriots and Eagles in Weeks 1&2.  But money has to be on Eagles v Patriots for Super Bowl.  KC has had toughest sched in AFC, but in a big playoff game Brady > Smith.

In NFC, Rams and Eagles have had easy scheds but I really like Wentz's improvement and his ability to throw the ball down field under pressure.  Saints might be safer bet as they have the best NFC QB, but Panthers are fricking scary with that awesome D.  If Cam get back to 2 years ago form ...

I'm having trouble finding a great game to watch these days as there are so many crap teams.  Mostly just watch the RedZone channel.  I'm not sure my perception is correct though.  I think the quality of NBA and European Pro Football is so good right now, I am just less willing to sit through NFL games.

I agree, RedZone is the only way I watch the NFL now unless it's the playoffs. 

I'm going to keep it 10 X 10 with you, I'd rather be in  Pattaya mofo.

TR's:

Gone till Nov.

Low Season Awaits....

TR3

On 11/15/2017 at 05:18, JustL said:

Poor Chicago. Mitch looks decent though. Chicago's head office and coaching staff have made questionable decisions for quite a while now. Keep your head up JG, you got some good young talent on both sides of the ball and things could get better once they fire Fox. What coach would you hire to replace Fox if any coaches working or not working in the NFL were available. 

The problem is the same clowns will be picking the next guy.   And knowing them the next coach may end up being Jeff Fisher.

Edited by great mooglie

I’m going to be in Pattaya during the Super Bowl. Any other American football fans going to be in town? Will there even be a bar open at 6:30am airing the game?

Edited by great mooglie

• 2 months later...

Super Bowl LII final score: Eagles 41 Patriots 33.

Congrats to the Eagles even though they knocked my Vikings out in the NFL Championship game. 

• 1 year later...

Not much about real Football NFL not a game but a real sport. What does everyone think what Gronkowski will do this year play or retire. He has had years of injuries so you can not blame him for hanging his cleats up. I think we will see old 87 back on the field and at the end of the year him and Brady will call it quits

8 hours ago, Toadily said:

Not much about real Football NFL not a game but a real sport. What does everyone think what Gronkowski will do this year play or retire. He has had years of injuries so you can not blame him for hanging his cleats up. I think we will see old 87 back on the field and at the end of the year him and Brady will call it quits

Rumor is Gronk plays but fewer downs and less of the blocking plays.  Becomes more of a large receiver. 

I don't know -- I have read countless times about how smart Gronk has been with his money.  They claim that he has never spent a penny of the money he made on his playing contracts, but banked it all, as he lived off of endorsement money.

He was an incredibly physical guy, but he also took one Hell of a pounding over the years. He's only 30, and presumably pretty healthy (reportedly lost quite a bit of weight, which may go along with the "line up outside" rumors).

Fantasy football websites are putting the odds at him coming back in the 40% range.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if he came back OR if he stayed retired.

if the pats aren't playing up to usual standards, belichick, kraft, etc. will find a way to bring him back.

I root for the NYG; we're going to stink like unwashed socks. Six wins (or fewer) likely, eight wins a surprisingly good year.

Edited by The Sculptor

Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.

Over/under for total wins for Giants is 6, and I think I would take the "under"!

WRs have been going out left and right

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been hearing that the upcoming 2021 season the NFL will add 1 more game to the regular season and reduce the pre season 1 game.   They did the same thing some years back when they increased the regular season from 14 to 16 games and reduced the pre season by 2 games.

it's not something they can just do, it needs to bargained with the player association, and there is no way the players are going to be willing to just play 1 more regular season game for nothing in return.

15 minutes ago, gsreyrey said:

it's not something they can just do, it needs to bargained with the player association, and there is no way the players are going to be willing to just play 1 more regular season game for nothing in return.

It wouldn't surprise if the players are lobbying to get rid of pre-season permanently. Last season sets a precedent. 

Reduced salary cap next year, so I would be very surprised if it kicked in then.

Preseason games are a total scam on the season ticket holders. Back when I had Cowboys season tickets (and they were good then - this was mid-late 90s), we would get dinged for the same price for preseason as regular season tickets, and you couldn't GIVE them away!

The 17 game season was part of the collective bargaining agreement between the owners and players ratified last March.The agreement is that it can be implemented as soon as the 2021 season, but no starting date was set.

• Like 2

When they increased in the past by 2 games then all teams had an equal amount of home and away games.  With 17 games half will have 9 home games and the other half 8.

10 hours ago, usexpat46 said:

When they increased in the past by 2 games then all teams had an equal amount of home and away games.  With 17 games half will have 9 home games and the other half 8.

The plan is that the 17th regular season game will be an interconference game. One year, the NFC teams will be the home teams, the next year the AFC, etc. This way all teams in the same conference have the same number of home-away games, 8-9 or 9-8. As I mentioned above, the owners can implement this for the upcoming season, or they can wait. Most people think they will go for it.

• 1 month later...
On 23/02/2021 at 17:57, usexpat46 said:

I've been hearing that the upcoming 2021 season the NFL will add 1 more game to the regular season and reduce the pre season 1 game.   They did the same thing some years back when they increased the regular season from 14 to 16 games and reduced the pre season by 2 games.

Good call!

Adam Schefter reporting today that NFL will implement 17 game season later this week. 

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Good call!

Adam Schefter reporting today that NFL will implement 17 game season later this week. 

They'll have to add another asstrict to individual season records.  Could you imagine the rushing yards Jim Brown would have put up with 17 games.  Most of his career they only played 12 games, towards the end it increased to 14.  

8 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

They'll have to add another asstrict to individual season records.  Could you imagine the rushing yards Jim Brown would have put up with 17 games.  Most of his career they only played 12 games, towards the end it increased to 14.  

Jim Brown retired before I was born, so I never got to watch him, but the numbers LEAP off of the page!

He AVERAGED over 104 yards a game....for his CAREER!

Only played 9 seasons and walked away from the game at the age of 29 in his prime (had over 1,500 yards and 21 TDs - 17 rushing - in his final 14-game season in 1965).

I get that people love to idolize the athletes of today, but the numbers put up by guys like Jim Brown and Wilt just defy comparison (and I'm a HUGE Michael Jordan fan)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Jim Brown retired before I was born, so I never got to watch him, but the numbers LEAP off of the page!

He AVERAGED over 104 yards a game....for his CAREER!

Only played 9 seasons and walked away from the game at the age of 29 in his prime (had over 1,500 yards and 21 TDs - 17 rushing - in his final 14-game season in 1965).

I get that people love to idolize the athletes of today, but the numbers put up by guys like Jim Brown and Wilt just defy comparison (and I'm a HUGE Michael Jordan fan)

I think he would have played longer but he got involved in acting like the Dirty Dozen.

7 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

I think he would have played longer but he got involved in acting like the Dirty Dozen.

Jim Brown was also an activist and wanted to pursue that part of his life, too. He's one of the four characters in the recent 'One Night in Miami'. Good article here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, usexpat46 said:

Yes, that came up in the film One Night in Miami.

1 hour ago, Leo_Bia said:

Yes, that came up in the film One Night in Miami.

Did they go into detail in the shooting of Sam Cooke?  I remember when that happened and the story didn't sound right to me. 

Big trades have happened and there may be more, especially given the lower salary cap and the cost of a quality quarterback.  Let’s chat about it in the days prior to the 29th or earlier if a move or two is made.  Big issues include:

• TL going number one (will it actually help the Jags turn the tide quickly?)
  • what will the NYJ do with pick #2 (and the other higher round picks they have)
  • what do the 49ers with the third pick after making a huge deal to move up from #6

Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.