Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Car and Bike Driving License

johnfb43

I have a Thai driving License (for motor car only) but it expired at the end of August. I need to renew it and get one to drive a motorcycle.

1) How do I get to the Motor Transport Offices over near Regents School without any transport currently of my own. And how do I get back to central Pattaya?

2) What do I need to take with me? I have the expired Thai license (just over a month out now) + UK + Philippines licenses all non expired. What else do I need? If I need a medical certificate is it better to get one at a clinic in Central Pattaya?

3) What do both licenses cost?

4) If I go early is this a whole day affair? I was thinking about going early on the 4th October if I can get there early due to the transport issue mentioned in no. 1.

I won't be driving big bikes, just simple auto Scooters with small engines. (in case that effects what I need)

Any replies appreciated. 

There is a thread on Thai driving licence where i wrote a long post on my experience getting both a car and bike licence, i couldn't find it but maybe you are better at searching than me.

A few things i remember. I got a taxi bike there and back, i think 200 each way.

Licences are around 250 baht each. One 100 baht medical certificate from anywhere in Pattaya is ok. Residence certificate was needed for me 300 baht at Jomtien. I got to the test centre when it opened 7.30/8, think i was done by 9.30. Very busy. Often people take Thai helpers but its not really required. As you are renewing requirements may be slightly different

My experience is a few years old. As a matter of fact I will have to renew licences that expired in August also. But I won't have time until the end of November. 

You will need the documents as described above. Motor licence used to be a bit cheaper than car and you only pay once you have passed. 

As you don't own a bike licence yet, you will need to do both theory and practical tests. Practical is done on your own (rental) bike. 

Most people just drive there. Even without having a licence yet. 

It might be possible to do all in 1 day if you're lucky and pass all first time. 

There is no difference between small and big bike licences. 

Ps. Not totally clear if you already have a foreign bike licence. 

How did you get your residence Certificate for 300 THB? 
Jomtien immigration charge 300 baht, you only need 1 even if you want 2 licences, you need to copy things twice

7 hours ago, eXplosief said:

My experience is a few years old. As a matter of fact I will have to renew licences that expired in August also. But I won't have time until the end of November. 

You will need the documents as described above. Motor licence used to be a bit cheaper than car and you only pay once you have passed. 

As you don't own a bike licence yet, you will need to do both theory and practical tests. Practical is done on your own (rental) bike. 

Most people just drive there. Even without having a licence yet. 

It might be possible to do all in 1 day if you're lucky and pass all first time. 

There is no difference between small and big bike licences. 

Ps. Not totally clear if you already have a foreign bike licence. 

No bike licenses yet. Can I rent a bike to get there without a license?

It shouldn't be a problem to rent one but be aware you will be uninsured and without a licence. Not that this is stopping anyone. 

Hi everyone. Just a quick question about residency certificates. What is the minimum amount of time that you need to stay (hotel paid for) to be eligible for the certificate. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nathan Smith said:

Hi everyone. Just a quick question about residency certificates. What is the minimum amount of time that you need to stay (hotel paid for) to be eligible for the certificate. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Where i stay i have asked for a letter on headed paper confirming my stay from x to x and usually receive it within 48 hours.

Archived